League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A trickier fixture than it looks?

Ipswich Win
90%
Lincoln Win
10%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 20

Denny61

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Denny61 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:38 pm

Yes..mckenna might seem in our eyes to be a good tactician. And know what other teams are going to play..but that'.means diddly squat If opposite Team changes their game specifically to hold us .and mark us..well ..cos from start..a point is good enough for them facing us ..and now a goal up is a bonus...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:42 pm

They’ve certainly closed our attacking options down the right. Davis looks good down the left but we may need to drive down the middle more through Morsy and Evans.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:51 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:16 pm
Who is commentating? Seems to know what he's talking about
Ian Westlake, very good isn’t he. 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:53 pm

Frustrating first half but a long way to go.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:58 pm

Awful goal to give away. Town only started playing after the goal. Lincoln will waste time and sit in now in the 2nd half. Town need a bit of magic or luck to break them down. Harness has done nothing Donacien looks edgy. Chaplin needs to get involved more and Ladapo has not done nothing. Improvement needed.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:15 pm

Ladapo has not done nothing, I assume this means he’s done something ? … is this rare praise ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:16 pm

I think one of our poorest players this afternoon so far had been Donacien, some of his passing and defensive play has been shocking.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:26 pm

It feels like we’re getting on top, I’m sure chances will come, just need to make sure we don’t get caught on the break. Even Donacien and Burns are now finding space down the right. McKenna really has done the business at HT.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:29 pm

HTF did Harness miss that golden opportunity to score an equaliser.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:32 pm

Who would bet against us scoring ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:44 pm

This is the best referee I’ve seen at Portman Road for a while so no grumbles about decisions today. Maybe the EFL have learned although this guy will need to stop their time wasting but I’m sure we’d do the same in their position.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:50 pm

27 attempts on goal with nothing in the net :shock:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:03 pm

Mariner67 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:50 pm
27 attempts on goal with nothing in the net :shock:
32 in the end. The statistics are incredible, down to passes and pass competition.

Didn't get a chance to go, but talk about grabbing a goal and parking the bus.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:03 pm

Town certainly did not deserve to lose. Lincoln are sh*t. Are keeper didn't make a save. Just would not go in today. First game in the league that we have not scored and could of had 5 or 6. Just no luck today. And as for the American owner who came over today...do us a favour and don't come again 🙄

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:07 pm

Not the result we wanted but nobody can be disappointed with that second half performance or McKenna’s approach to the second half. Sadly the game was lost in the first 45 mins.
Only disappointing stat was 5 shots on target from 32 shots on goal. Just a shame many of the chances fell to Morsy and not our recognised goal scorers.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:12 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:03 pm
And as for the American owner who came over today...do us a favour and don't come again 🙄
Couldn't agree more with that part, Deeko Boy

Those stats are indeed quite unreal. 32 shots is --->> yep, ok......., but only 5 on target? Wow.

Other than this result and Hibs getting pumped @ Parkhead, Plymouth scoring 4 isn't great for the GD either on this crap Saturday.

Derby next (in league) ....., hopefully bounce back to winning ways.

And err........ 'muricans....... Go home!

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:14 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:07 pm
Not the result we wanted but nobody can be disappointed with that second half performance or McKenna’s approach to the second half. Sadly the game was lost in the first 45 mins.
Only disappointing stat was 5 shots on target from 32 shots on goal. Just a shame many of the chances fell to Morsy and not our recognised goal scorers.
Agreed. The first 45 minutes were poor. Possession but mate nothing of it. Much better second half but they defended well. So many corners but wet never look no like scoring from a header.
Did we deserve to lose? Probably not. Did we deserve you win? If you can’t shoot on target you won’t score. So probably not. Frustrating but a good second half.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:14 pm

It's best to have this kind of game out of the way and at the quarter way stage than last quarter..I think the intensity should be in first 20 min to get that opening goal against sides that are going to park the bus and defend and man mark as if their life depends on it .Once the Early goal goes in for us..all their plans are out the window cos now they will have to play football and Suddenly organised defending is in disarray thus leaving us to explore and cut thru the spaces at will...all is not lost ..maybe this is what we wanted..a reality check..we were too comfy in our own pats in the back

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:20 pm

Lost that game in the first half hour with a slow, pedestrian approach to the game, wtf Walton and the defence was doing for the goal god only knows. Our tempo completely changes when we go behind, I felt the changes needed to come at Ht, Edwards and Jackson deffo made a difference but thanks to some last ditch defending it just wouldn't go in.

I thought Evans and Davis were our stand out performers, Donacien was woeful, a virtual passenger, Burns and Harness not great either. We probably should still have won it on chances and pressure etc but the truth is we were poor today and made a woeful side look something. We are always gonna lose at home at some point, I just didn't think it would be today, I just wish teams had to work harder to score against us cus today's goal was a total gift from us. Not a disaster but very disappointing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:22 pm

And fair play Rossi, you called it.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:38 pm

Lincoln have been a boggy team for us in the past,had a feeling we'd loose this one.
A good friend of mine is a Lincoln & ipswich supporter,not sure if he's laughing or crying at thIs result :D

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:44 pm

:cry: I thought we had gotten over this crap 1st half was better 2nd half scenario was 33 F*****G shots with none hitting the back of the net, yet Plymouth have gone to MKD's and got 4, and Sheff Wednesday a 2-0 win at Cambridge, this is not promotion-winning form, keep this form up and we'll be lucky to get in the playoffs, with the amount of possession 77% 33 Shots and only 5 on target we should have won this with ease, I think we need a proven stronger robust and decisive striker upfront ours are pretty lightweight, someone who can break up defensive teams that park the bus.

I can see this still being our Achilles' Heel with bad half and a good half-game play we have to have a stronger influence throughout the game and if Walton wants to p*ss arse around then replace him with Hladky, and with the visit of Derby to Portman road next week they just might try the Lincoln City way score one and park the bus, but hopefully, this will be a one-off and won't happen again.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:01 pm

I think we need to remember that for all our possession and pressing second half, a few moves broke down through a poor pass - either misplaced our behind the Town player. But more importantly there was some poor decision making in the final third. We had lots of shots blocked (all credit to Lincoln for that) but also a number from poor positions, from very wide angles, a rush of blood reaction. So 32 sis sounds good but some were never going to score, and others weren’t missed, they were well defended.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:03 pm

Once again we are the architects of our own problems. The first corner came from a misplaced pass (as usual) and as they went to take it, I said to my daughter - the man at the back post is unmarked. We got away with it first corner but the resulting second one fell straight to him. It was almost a carbon copy of Burns winner v Portsmouth.

Lincoln are indeed poor but sneaked a goal and then managed to get blocks in relentlessly so you have to say fair play. I thought the ref was harsh on us but as Hallam always says, teams will come to PR to do this to us. They were wasting time from the first minute as a draw was just what they wanted. The win was a huge bonus. Sadly, I am hearing stories of fights at the train station as well.

A bad afternoon but we move on as no real harm done. However, we now need a reaction against Derby who will be on a high after a good win today... we are Ipswich - we never make it easy!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:06 pm

I just don't get this "will struggle to make the play offs" after ONE defeat from the we only post when we lose brigade, been f**king invisible all season until now.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:14 pm

I know - its pathetic. Plymouth were top at Xmas or thereabouts last year and then didn't make the play offs so they will fade. We will get stronger and learn more every week. I think after Xmas we will pull away - I really do. You heard it here first... 😬

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:31 pm

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ln-9330668 very honest assessment from the boss "first 25mins not good enough" This guy is good.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:31 pm

WOW, Sitting second in the league, sounds like one mistake cost us. Yes that is disappointing and yes we got to learn but the doom and gloom people are out again

Listening to Ian Westlake he was purring at times do to how we were playing in the second half. Games like this happen every now and again. It's not nice but it's football

Second half we should of scored, but it wasn't to be. Last time we lost we won next three games, lets do that again and still be great month of October

rossi did get this one right, spot on but sorry, no offence wish you were wrong though

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:08 pm

I just don’t get this Lincoln bogey team stuff where the f*ck does it come from, the last and only time they have ever won at Portman Road was 68 years ago in 1954 😯

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:22 pm

We’re predictable. Eg we play it out from the back, sideways, back sideways, forward.. steadily, almost like a game of chess. Same pace, same tempo, same set 9f passing sequences. Opponents KNOW how we are go8ng to play, and defend accordingly. Lincoln, appeared t9 set up like a high zone. They moved as one, back and forth across the pitch , as we m9ved the ball back and forth across our back three….and som the first half went on. Occasional , we played a long diagonal ball. These at some point will get 5aken out, because they are invariably loooong , slow passes. And is it was…. Ending in a series of corners f9r them . Up to that pi7nt , they had clearly come for a point.

From the resulting corners, we faffed around, not clearing it and when the ball ballooned up in the air, our WHOLE Team just stood and stared at the bloody ball no5 moving an inch. Meanwhile a Lincoln player, had sat all this time ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY UNMARKED at the back post. Not a Town player within 4 feet of him.. for what seemed like an eternity. Mike said to me after several seconds , something along the lines, “ I hope we’re picking up on their tactic….” well no of course we hadn’t . The ball came to this Lincoln player, who frankly could have juggled the ball between his feet,and played half a dozen keepie uppies , before he nodded it gently into the net. f**king absurd, amateur defending.

I’ll say it again.

This defence is not good enough !

Lincoln came for a point and defended really well as a 5am . Solid , well drilled and we had no answer for it. But they must have thought it was Christmas the way we gifted them an easy goal which they hadn’t come looking for.

In the strik8ng department, I will say this. Ladapo is not the answer. Yers he holds the ball up well at times. But he has no turn of pace. He goes through the motions of “ closing down”, ( so opponents can easily get the ball out of defence) and he’s not ruthless enough I. Front of goal.

For Derby game ….
I’d drop Burns for Jackson and I’d bring in KVY …and I’d MIX UP our approach play. We are too predictable, too one paced and teams just sit back and let us (ave it.

You could tell Lincoln were coached by a former defender. They defended brilliantly as a unit. And we need to run at them…we did even…70 mins onwards. Again predictable subs and predictable timing of them in the game .

McKenna needs to change his approach.