League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A trickier fixture than it looks?

Ipswich Win
90%
Lincoln Win
10%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 20

barmy billy

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by barmy billy » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:29 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:06 pm
I just don't get this "will struggle to make the play offs" after ONE defeat from the we only post when we lose brigade, been f**king invisible all season until now.
I quite agree, Mike.
The same goes for the comments about Walton. A couple of twitchy games and he's suddenly suspect. Give the bloke a break. People very quickly forget his heroics sine he joined the club.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:40 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:29 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:06 pm
I just don't get this "will struggle to make the play offs" after ONE defeat from the we only post when we lose brigade, been f**king invisible all season until now.
I quite agree, Mike.
The same goes for the comments about Walton. A couple of twitchy games and he's suddenly suspect. Give the bloke a break. People very quickly forget his heroics sine he joined the club.
Totally agree with you both and Hallam we still have one of the very best defences in the league. We lost, we move on. Have same set of results next 14 games as had last 14 am sure all will take it

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:50 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:44 pm
:cry: I thought we had gotten over this crap 1st half was better 2nd half scenario was 33 F*****G shots with none hitting the back of the net, yet Plymouth have gone to MKD's and got 4, and Sheff Wednesday a 2-0 win at Cambridge, this is not promotion-winning form, keep this form up and we'll be lucky to get in the playoffs, with the amount of possession 77% 33 Shots and only 5 on target we should have won this with ease, I think we need a proven stronger robust and decisive striker upfront ours are pretty lightweight, someone who can break up defensive teams that park the bus.

I can see this still being our Achilles' Heel with bad half and a good half-game play we have to have a stronger influence throughout the game and if Walton wants to p*ss arse around then replace him with Hladky, and with the visit of Derby to Portman road next week they just might try the Lincoln City way score one and park the bus, but hopefully, this will be a one-off and won't happen again.
First defeat at home, 2nd in the league and your off on one. Its a defeat but reaction is key. The result is disappointing but the club and team are in a good place.
Looking forward to Derby on sky next week.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:57 pm

For me VR, it’s more about the “ nature” of how we gift goals to our opponents when we have so much possession and supposedly on top of things. Todays goal was a Bloody Sunday league effort from our defence . It was last week v Morcombe too… and there have been others. If we gift goals like this , especially at home, to teams that come here to defend deep , we’re in trouble in my view. That gap we had had now gone , and Pompey have 3 games in hand .

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:09 pm

It’s not the end of the season, but at home in front of 27k fans we should be winning these games. I think teams are beginning to figure out our game plan…time for KM to make a few tweaks maybe?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:18 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:09 pm
.....but at home in front of 27k fans we should be winning these games.
Yep.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:26 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:22 pm
And fair play Rossi, you called it.
I wish to God I had been wrong, Mike - however, I also predicted that we will beat Derby, so roll on Friday

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:51 pm

The simple game plan would be for McKenna to deploy todays second half tactics in the first half and the game would have been all over at half time.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:08 pm
I just don’t get this Lincoln bogey team stuff where the f*ck does it come from, the last and only time they have ever won at Portman Road was 68 years ago in 1954 😯

Not played them much,don't know the stats,can't be arsed to research, remember them beating us in the cup games.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:42 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:57 pm
For me VR, it’s more about the “ nature” of how we gift goals to our opponents when we have so much possession and supposedly on top of things. Todays goal was a Bloody Sunday league effort from our defence . It was last week v Morcombe too… and there have been others. If we gift goals like this , especially at home, to teams that come here to defend deep , we’re in trouble in my view. That gap we had had now gone , and Pompey have 3 games in hand .
I think you'll find its the same at all League One clubs, thats why they are League One defenders.. For me Ipswich are right in the mix this season with a great chance of going up. Today's type of defeat always happens over a season. The key is reaction. Need to get back on the horse and get a run of wins going again

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:13 pm

Mariner67 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:26 pm
Charnwood wrote:
I just don’t get this Lincoln bogey team stuff where the f*ck does it come from, the last and only time they have ever won at Portman Road was 68 years ago in 1954 😯

Not played them much,don't know the stats,can't be arsed to research, remember them beating us in the cup games.
We don’t appear to fair very well against them tbh ….

https://m.aiscore.com/head-to-head/socc ... er%20teams.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:49 pm

Thanks Hallamblue :D

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:11 pm

Mariner67 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:49 pm
No such thing as a bogey team.
Might as well believe in fairies.
Imagine telling Fergie after a defeat that they are our bogey team 🤣🤣🤣

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:51 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:13 pm
Mariner67 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:26 pm
Charnwood wrote:

We don’t appear to fair very well against them tbh ….

https://m.aiscore.com/head-to-head/socc ... er%20teams.
These are selective Stats and even more meaningless than most. For a full history of meetings between the two clubs see ; https://www.11v11.com/teams/ipswich-tow ... ln%20City/

Here you have the full picture, 11 meetings at Portman Road with only 2 defeats, today and another in 1954. Yes we were drawn against them twice in recent years in the FA Cup which involved 4 games, in 2017 we drew at Portman Road and lost at their place, and in 2019 we drew at their place and won at Portman Road for what it’s worth because in that era we didn’t give a fig about the FA Cup.

Given our todays team was probably the best set of players we’ve ever set up agsinst them previous results shoukd be meaningless.

Today was just a bad day at the office and we just have to get over it and move on, no team will win every game. But one thing for sure McKenna read the game perfectly at Half time and knew exactly what he needed to change, the guys brilliant at it.
Maybe Friday we just need to get it right before going behind as Derby will also be a big problem if they score first.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:26 am

Had a look in at the interval when we were a goal behind, thought about participating or something to say but made a vow not to get involved during any game time. Imagined we'd get back into it second period and go on to win, couldn't believe the surprise when finding out score remained as it did and we lost the goddamn thing. 33 attempts on goal and we lost, don't wish for profanities but seriously, how the f*ck did we lose today.

McKenna yet again started with the same damn starting formation : why the hell utilize one up front against this level of opposition and with a home advantage. McKenna's done great, he can be - and is - a real upcoming name who has made us competitive once again but his choice of line-up irritates the sh*t out of some fans particularly when it's used over again. It's not f**king rocket science to implement an attacking line-up against the level of today's opposition and provide the team with the opportunity to score goals. One or two players out of position for good measure but nothing new. They, incidentally, used three if correct attackers to begin with and we lost, they stole something of a result. Go figure.

Pity is, McKenna could be on-route to be mentioned in the same talk of Ramsey and Robson in terms of hope or ambition if only he could eradicate fundamental mistakes before a game's underway. Haven't seem game highlights as yet but will find the chance to see what occurred. Don't think somehow they'll show 30 + chances for us to score and it'll be just about them stealing a result. It's an injustice, it's regrettable, but we move on.

It's a shame other teams around us won but you got to rise above today and don't dwell on the result. We'll still more than likely be in with a real chance of automatic promotion by the final game. Wasn't all bad, Celtic got a six goal victory over Hibernian, you got to take positives where you find them.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:34 am

Well you know what they say about stats don’t you! If you view any results ( sporting or financial) , the longer the period in with they are viewed over the more straight the line appears.

So, are norwich our bogey team ? We haven’t beaten them in a decade it seems, ( whenever we’ve played them), yet the number of games between us used to be heavily in our favour.

The link I put up was simply from a Google search of face face games with Lincoln. Maybe they should have just said it was “ recent history”. Because games in 1954 are probably irrelevant! But you’ve found ALL games ever played between the two clubs , which nicely flattens out the more recent trend…. A more recent trend is probably the more accurate one.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:46 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:26 am

McKenna yet again started with the same damn starting formation : why the hell utilize one up front against this level of opposition and with a home advantage. McKenna's done great, he can be - and is - a real upcoming name who has made us competitive once again but his choice of line-up irritates the sh*t out of some fans particularly when it's used over again. It's not f**king rocket science to implement an attacking line-up against the level of today's opposition and provide the team with the opportunity to score goals.
I really do not get this hang up some fans have with playing 1 up front! The fact we had 32 shots suggests to me that only a combination of poor finishing & desperate defending prevented us scoring a hatful! Until yesterday we were L1's top scorers, not bad for a team with 1up front!
A quick look tells me Plymouth employed a 'lone striker' away, against lowly MK Dons (who incidentally played the same formation as Lincoln). By that thinking Plymouth had no right to score 4 goals?

Looking at Random matches against weaker opponents, all of the Premier League top 4 used 1 up front! The Championship top 4, only 4th placed QPR employed more than 1 striker up front!

Granted in L1 both the Owls & Pompey used a 4-4-2 in their last game! Likewise 3 of the top 4 teams in L2 used more than one striker. Therefore perhaps as you go lower down the leagues, there is an argument to go against the 1up front format! That said, KM has said he uses a very fluid system and certainly from what I have seen so far of us going forward, the football has been very enjoyable! I wouldn't change rhe "system"

Yesterday, yes poor defending cost us, but it was (as others have said) a poor day at the office! Had just a couple of shots gone in, the formation wouldn't have warranted a comment!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:03 am

But is it really “ 1 up front”? If you have your two wide men forward in those attacks, surely its three up front?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:46 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:46 am
arana peligrosa wrote:

McKenna yet again started with the same damn starting formation : why the hell utilize one up front against this level of opposition and with a home advantage. McKenna's done great, he can be - and is - a real upcoming name who has made us competitive once again but his choice of line-up irritates the sh*t out of some fans particularly when it's used over again. It's not f**king rocket science to implement an attacking line-up against the level of today's opposition and provide the team with the opportunity to score goals.
I really do not get this hang up some fans have with playing 1 up front! The fact we had 32 shots suggests to me that only a combination of poor finishing & desperate defending prevented us scoring a hatful! Until yesterday we were L1's top scorers, not bad for a team with 1up front!
A quick look tells me Plymouth employed a 'lone striker' away, against lowly MK Dons (who incidentally played the same formation as Lincoln). By that thinking Plymouth had no right to score 4 goals?

Looking at Random matches against weaker opponents, all of the Premier League top 4 used 1 up front! The Championship top 4, only 4th placed QPR employed more than 1 striker up front!

Granted in L1 both the Owls & Pompey used a 4-4-2 in their last game! Likewise 3 of the top 4 teams in L2 used more than one striker. Therefore perhaps as you go lower down the leagues, there is an argument to go against the 1up front format! That said, KM has said he uses a very fluid system and certainly from what I have seen so far of us going forward, the football has been very enjoyable! I wouldn't change rhe "system"

Yesterday, yes poor defending cost us, but it was (as others have said) a poor day at the office! Had just a couple of shots gone in, the formation wouldn't have warranted a comment!
You are spot on, but save your breath, we all knew One defeat when we should win would see the Lemmings running for the cliffs.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:09 pm

It doesn’t really matter how the team lines up if they don’t take their chances. Anyway, this one is done and dusted. Time to rebound and move on.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:22 pm

Interesting reading. What is concerning me (very very slightly)…… and please, i am not comparing KMcK & Lambert, its more directed at players themselves……, but the early days of Lambert was 4 million shots, a million on target, nil score. Whatever “voice hearing” Lambo couldn’t do back then, hopefully Kieron can sort THIS week…… and not let that manifest.

And arguably the best way is 9’s way and say, “its done, thats over, do not dwell, we move on” etc etc.

BUT……… always maintained, and has been my own personal defence for Lambo & Cookie….. & Yogi @ Hibs……. Playing v parking of the single decker teams is frustratingly difficult.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:25 pm

If we went through this league without any pitfalls it wouldn't be Ipswich Town. I'm as disappointed with the result as anyone but apart from the first 25mins Town were dominant and had enough opportunities to win 5 games. KMc's team is a breath of fresh air and play some lovely stuff, granted sometimes we over play but that's the nature of the beast. If the next 14 games give us 9 wins 3 draws and 2 defeats I won't be complaining. I also think we have been very unlucky losing our best defender Burgess, he was so solid. So, onto Derby on Sky? Ffs No!! Please let the hoodoo disappear for once. 🙏

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:30 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:51 pm
The simple game plan would be for McKenna to deploy todays second half tactics in the first half and the game would have been all over at half time.
The tactics seemed almost the same to me, and KM sent out the same players for 2nd half. More to do with players attitudes for me.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:35 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:46 am
arana peligrosa wrote:

Really? Poor defending cost us? You don't suppose that having 32 goal attempts and failing to convert any was the thing that cost us most?

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:12 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:11 pm
Mariner67 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:49 pm
No such thing as a bogey team.
Might as well believe in fairies.
Imagine telling Fergie after a defeat that they are our bogey team 🤣🤣🤣
Nothing wrong with believing in fairies :lol: some people believe in far worse :D

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:19 pm

It's obvious we need some who knows where the net is,I'm not convinced by some of our strikers,we create loads of chances ,that's great ,guess we wont find a 20 goal a season player in this league ,Noticed will Keane is banging them in for Wigan, thought he was pants for us.oh well we are still second ,can't win them all.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:32 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:25 pm
If we went through this league without any pitfalls it wouldn't be Ipswich Town. I'm as disappointed with the result as anyone but apart from the first 25mins Town were dominant and had enough opportunities to win 5 games. KMc's team is a breath of fresh air and play some lovely stuff, granted sometimes we over play but that's the nature of the beast. If the next 14 games give us 9 wins 3 draws and 2 defeats I won't be complaining. I also think we have been very unlucky losing our best defender Burgess, he was so solid. So, onto Derby on Sky? Ffs No!! Please let the hoodoo disappear for once. 🙏
100%

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:54 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:25 pm
So, onto Derby on Sky? Ffs No!! Please let the hoodoo disappear for once. 🙏
Think we should all join you with the praying. ITFC + Sky = ......, WIN this coming Friday. 🙏

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:21 pm

One thing we are crying out for is a bloody Centre Back that scores the occasional set piece goal, somebody that actually attacks the ball and gets his head to it occasionally, funnily enough look at Elkan Baggotts goal for Gillingham yesterday, everything Edmundson and Woolfenden never do !!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:21 pm
One thing we are crying out for is a bloody Centre Back that scores the occasional set piece goal, somebody that actually attacks the ball and gets his head to it occasionally, funnily enough look at Elkan Baggotts goal for Gillingham yesterday, everything Edmundson and Woolfenden never do !!!
I guess Tommy Smith was the last we could count on though Chambers scored a few too.