Dozzell and Counago

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Andym

Dozzell and Counago

Post by Andym » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:18 pm

Some rambling thoughts about Saturday's game and a couple of ex-players.

On Saturday I watched the first half of Luton v QPR before venturing to Portman Road. I noticed that Andre Dozzell was on the bench for QPR. I think he came on later on, but as I say I only saw the first half. As I drove in, I was thinking how I used to rate him. But we have a squad now that is so much better that I'm fairly sure he wouldn't get in our starting eleven in league 1. I thought that was a great indication how much our squad has improved ou r the last couple of years.

And then at half time, Pablo Counago was being interviewed. Both players (Dozzell and Counago) divided opinion, but I couldn't help thinking how much we could do with someone of Pablo's ability. Not just for his goals, or his control, but his vision. You would see the the pass he should make, but he would often see a better one; a disguised ball that threw defences.

I mention it because of comments made following Saturday's defeat. I don't think it is a disaster, and it's good to see the comments have by and large remained calm without too much overreaction. But some of the comments are true. We do play too slowly at times. With the close marking and high line we faced on Saturday, we needed to move the ball more quickly. Not long balls, but quick short passing. We do need people to run at the opposition and take a player on - that's a good way to overcome man marking, as another defender needs to change position/marker once you've beaten someone. That's why the introduction of Edwards was a good idea. But I also mention it because of the comments about Ladapo. I'm afraid I still haven't seen anything that makes me think he will come good. And that's the comparison with Counago. Counago was relatively lazy, Ladapo runs his arse off. But Counago had a good first touch, Ladapo's is Sunday league by comparison. He can hold up play but has no vision. He's not a natural goal scorer either. I'm certainly not blaming hm for the defeat, I don't think had many of the 32 shots on Saturday, but I think his selection shows how short we are of a decent striker. He didn't get many shots because we didn't have anyone behind him who could bring him into the game either - the sort of pass that Counago could make. Chaplin had a quieter game. But, returning to Ladapo, we had 14 corners on Saturday. Most of them were decent corners. Did Ladapo get on the end of any of them? Equally as BlueMike said, the central defenders don't either. When we have scored from corners this season, it has often been a low ball to the edge of the box. If we can't win a header - and we clearly can't -why persist in the high balls?

Ricco

Re: Dozzell and Counago

Post by Ricco » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:32 pm

At times Counago had touch, balance, timing and vision that could only be matched by a handful of the world's best. He was lazy, slow, meek and physically unimposing, but my god did he have everything else! One of my favourite town players, one of those rare natural talents that from time to time did something that made you just stand there and ask "how has he done that?", the opposing defenders often seemed to be wondering the same!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:44 pm

Pablo was part of a different era, different league, he and Kuqi and the Bents put together something of a formidable strike partnership although other players of the time weighed in also and made their contribution. Possibly something of a cult figure other time but in no way legendary status. With Counago on the team sheet you always felt a goal could come from somewhere although same applies to so many ex-players we had over time.

Didn't get many full caps for Spain if correct and all this at a time before they became great at the end of the 2000's. Could or should have featured at international level even major tournament, didn't have to be first choice just part of an entire squad that made the competitions. Think he at least deserved that much.

Dozzell senior would really accommodate our squad now, we could use a player of his kind 30 years back at present time to add extra strength to strike options we already got but in the same time some of the dead wood or what you can deem surplus players in attack would need to be released with it.

I didn't see enough of his boy in live action to really pass judgment but sometimes didn't seem up to much or didn't contribute as some would expect when reading game reports and fan analysis. Put it another way if it were possible wouldn't include Dozzell junior in say Lyall's team of 1992 as his father was purely a much more accomplished player in a squad back then. We were League Champions at the time and fair or unfair just can't see a Dozzell junior being worthy of inclusion with the players we had of that time.

Kind of dismayed to learn we persist with high balls in order to progress during contests, thought that had been left behind during the sub-standard McCarthy's regime. Maybe it's not as prevalent as back then or once before.

Ladapo was mentioned also, there was a whole lot of protection for the player a few weeks back when or two participants took it upon themselves to castigate the name due to a run of poor performance and were subsequently shot to pieces from say more, 'senior figures'. Thought it all rather innocuous at the time but garnered some level of outrage all the same. Whether you want to agree or disagree (I) don't rate the player much or if at all. As a purported center forward he just doesn't inspire or view as anything reliable. Although (and not to single out any one individual) we got a few others like that already.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:24 pm

Pablo, spoiled his undoubted skill levels and vision by his constant, dare I say this, diving! He was always on his backside at the slightest touch ... It was embarrassing. Today he wouldn't look out of place in the PL for that antic.

But I agree re his skill set being missed. I think that is why we tried to get Celina back here. He has the ability to unlock stubborn defences. We have Edwards of course, but not much else. Which is why I'm really looking forward to getting Camar in the side. His first game is in the11 v Cambridge Tuesday night.

As for Dozzell, well sorry, but Dozzell junior IMHO, is overrated in my view. He wouldn't get into our first 11 now.

Ladapo for me has some level of physical presence up front and does put himself about a bit and can hold the play up. But I'll be honest with you all, we've had better players here, that have done that in the past. He isn't particularly quick in my humble view and doesn't really close down. He runs, but to me anyway, and it's almost like going through that motion (or he simply isn't quick enough) but never puts enough pressure on opponents bringing it out of defence.
I honestly think we do need someone else.
Last edited by hallamblue on Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:28 pm

Yes Pablo was never high on my list of favourites because of that cheating side of his game, couldn't stand it tbh.