League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Derby County Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we finally win on Telly?

Ipswich Win
67%
Derby Win
13%
Draw
20%

Total votes: 15

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Derby County Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:32 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:23 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:08 pm
…and Burnley (29),
And Burnley yesterday. 2-0 down @ HT @ Sunderland. ….. win 4-2.
Can Ipswich be that level of class in a couple years from now, asking questions of being EPL class? 🤔
… and the previous Saturday they put 4 past high flying Swansea City. Burnley 4-0 Swansea 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:36 pm

Charnwood wrote:
The problem is Mike the way McKenna sets his teams up, his expectations of his Number 9 is very different to what “Old School” fans expect from the same player. Klopp sets his teams up very similarly in this respect which is why Firmino has only once in 7 seasons been their Top Scorer, and even then he only scored 10 in what was his first year at Anfield.

The modern game has changed so much and young managers like McKenna have such different expectations of players in certain positions and we as fans just have to get used to it.

I guess the only thing that really matters is the end result and based on what I’ve seen so far he’s doing ok.

I think we also forget sometimes that 28 goals scored in 14 games isn’t actually poor scoring, in fact if you look at all four leagues in English football only 3 teams have scored more goals so far this season, Manchester City (36), Plymouth (30) and Burnley (29),
I agree, sadly most gauge a player on how many goals he scores, irrespective of anything else, granted strikers have generally been expected to find the net but as you say the game is evolving and new formations etc come into play, Liverpool being a case in point. From my point of view I could not care less if none of our strikers score again, as long as someone does.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:36 pm
Charnwood wrote:
The problem is Mike the way McKenna sets his teams up, his expectations of his Number 9 is very different to what “Old School” fans expect from the same player. Klopp sets his teams up very similarly in this respect which is why Firmino has only once in 7 seasons been their Top Scorer, and even then he only scored 10 in what was his first year at Anfield.

The modern game has changed so much and young managers like McKenna have such different expectations of players in certain positions and we as fans just have to get used to it.

I guess the only thing that really matters is the end result and based on what I’ve seen so far he’s doing ok.

I think we also forget sometimes that 28 goals scored in 14 games isn’t actually poor scoring, in fact if you look at all four leagues in English football only 3 teams have scored more goals so far this season, Manchester City (36), Plymouth (30) and Burnley (29),
I agree, sadly most gauge a player on how many goals he scores, irrespective of anything else, granted strikers have generally been expected to find the net but as you say the game is evolving and new formations etc come into play, Liverpool being a case in point. From my point of view I could not care less if none of our strikers score again, as long as someone does.
In fairness Mike I did say he put himself around in previous games. I'm mostly going on what I saw Friday. I have nothing against Ladapo and again I say it, I hope he comes good and everything works out

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:01 pm

I accept the point that the no. 9 didn’t have to be the main goal scorer. I also accept that Ladapo usually outs himself about, running everywhere.
My biggest problem with him are that he has poor control/first touch which makes it hard to hold up play. That and his poor finishing. Jackson runs and runs and has pace, but he’s an athlete rather than a footballer.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:10 pm

Steve wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:58 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

In fairness Mike I did say he put himself around in previous games. I'm mostly going on what I saw Friday. I have nothing against Ladapo and again I say it, I hope he comes good and everything works out
Absolutely you did, even if you feel he is crap that would be your opinion which is what a forum is all about. We all hope he comes good for sure.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:13 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:01 pm
I accept the point that the no. 9 didn’t have to be the main goal scorer. I also accept that Ladapo usually outs himself about, running everywhere.
My biggest problem with him are that he has poor control/first touch which makes it hard to hold up play. That and his poor finishing. Jackson runs and runs and has pace, but he’s an athlete rather than a footballer.
Yes, I don't think the questions are all about goals. Put that aside - is he good enough to lead the line? Hold up play, lay-offs, running the channels, heading, work-rate, assists? Does he do enough irrespective of amount of goals?
I think we could get better in January, although I prefer Freddie up front than TJJ..

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:58 am

Bluemike wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Exactly if someone else scores who cares. BUT, if we had a goal scoring striker maybe we would have won those games against Plymouth & Lincoln. Running the the lines is a collateral duty of a striker, it shouldn’t be the main responsibility of a striker. Yes we’re doing fantastic right now, but we can be better. Get someone in here who can score goals & we’ll be automatic promotion contenders. We’re so much better now than we have been for so many fuckin years. Let’s get even better in January!!

COYB!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:33 pm

Just as a side note, was anyone else impressed with their CB Cashin ? I thought he looked very handy indeed, would be a decent target should we go up.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:45 pm

Do you think they’d be willing to cashin? :wink:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:29 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:45 pm
Do you think they’d be willing to cashin? :wink:
I’ll be sure to mark that on my calendar:Hallam made a joke! :lol: