League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Derby County Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we finally win on Telly?

Ipswich Win
67%
Derby Win
13%
Draw
20%

Total votes: 15

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Derby County Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:06 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:55 am
A very good result, especially considering it was on Sky.

It was far from being the best I have seen us play this season, and Derby were well organised and competitive and certainly didn't make anything easy for us. But we gave what I thought was a very professional performance.

I was a bit dumbfounded when I saw the team sheet, I have to say. In my opinion there is too much tinkering going on with the team, especially with the central striker. I call this sterile management. KM needs to decide who his main frontman is and stick with that, allowing that player to develop understandings with the number 10s and to build up a level of confidence. I still think we need a quality frontman, but at the moment I think he should stick with Ladapo (but maybe give Ahadme a couple of games when fit, John-Jules and Jackson are not the answer).

I had to laugh in the 41st minute - we got a free kick just outside their penalty area that was crying out for a left foot strike. From where I was sitting. I could see Leif Davis begging to be allowed to have a go at it, but he was over-ruled by Evans who proceeded to stroke the ball right footed straight into the wall - impotent pr*ck.

As for the penalty, well, Jackson should never be let anywhere near one. The man cannot hit a barn door from 10 yards, FFS the build-up to the goal he hit the post when it was easier to score - it was fortunate that the ball rebounded to Burns (who took the chance very well). A penalty needs to be taken by somebody who can put his laces through the ball with accuracy, last night I think Leif Davis ought to have taken it.
Exactly what I said and Ladapo is getting a bit of a tough time because of KM's persistence in pissing around with the strikers too much.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:46 pm

Really sorry....., but going to defend Kieron here and maybe think he's of similar opinion to a few people, (not all obviously) ---- >> Freddie Ladapo is essentially shyte. Kieron knows it. YES....., he has got some moves and on occasion "something happens"......, but the manager knows he ain't going to get it done for ITFC. He is just too nice of a guy to say it on camera.

Not a fking clue who else is available, but a Waghorn type (or a Tranmere version of Norwood) is eagerly required. Well....., not eagerly required as the club are 2nd, 4 clear of 3rd and doing ok......, but ----->> required.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:38 pm

Two people i totally agree with here

Firstly rossi hit the nail on the head regarding the penalty for me, got to be honest, I totally didn't even think of Leif

"As for the penalty, well, Jackson should never be let anywhere near one. The man cannot hit a barn door from 10 yards, FFS the build-up to the goal he hit the post when it was easier to score - it was fortunate that the ball rebounded to Burns (who took the chance very well). A penalty needs to be taken by somebody who can put his laces through the ball with accuracy, last night I think Leif Davis ought to have taken it.
Top"

True words and then marko, also spot on with this

" Freddie Ladapo is essentially shyte. Kieron knows it. YES....., he has got some moves and on occasion "something happens"......, but the manager knows he ain't going to get it done for ITFC. He is just too nice of a guy to say it on camera."

What really hit me was yes he maybe upset or whatever being left out of the starting line up but I was bewildered with his play when he came on

He laboured, he pondered, balls went past him, no urgency, it was like he was just strolling around. For me maybe should of shown more willing, being honest more of everything

I hope it works out for him, I hope he comes good

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:42 pm

If KM seriously thinks Ladapo is shyte then that for me is damn awful management to even have him near the first team, I don't believe for One second he thinks that.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:50 pm

Maybe you don't Mike, that's fair enough but certainly didn't see anything from him last night to show he wanted to be on the pitch.

Yes he was not on for long, but I remember a ball played over the top and he just wasn't interested in it. That's only one example, there was more. If wanting to prove to the manager he wants to be starting then surely he needs to show it

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:10 pm

The issue isn't about what he did or didn't do, it's the possibility that KM thinks he is shyte which I don't agree with at all.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:42 pm
If KM seriously thinks Ladapo is shyte then that for me is damn awful management to even have him near the first team, I don't believe for One second he thinks that.
I seriously wouldn't allow a player like Ladapo to have an influence on deciding whether or not Kieron's management skills need questioned......, absolutely no way! He's arguably the breath of fresh air the club has yearned for since the 2000-2002 Burley years. I KNOW you ain't doubting Kieron......, but come on. Seriously?? I ask serriously......., what is it you are seeing that makes Ladapo a first choice striker? I only see Ladapo getting a game because its a toss up between two shyte strikers in Jackson & Freddie.

Things are going very well..... but to avoid a Mick McCarthy scenario from a few years back..... January needs to be focussed on a goalscorer so that the second half of the season is consolidated at the top.

Disclaimer...... IF..... Freddie goes on to be a star......., then hands will be held high in apology and acceptance....... but I genuinely doubt it.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:40 pm

If we do go for another striker, please can we go for one that occasionally gets a head on a corner? Or a cross? Much as I prefer football played on the floor, I don’t see any of our players running the risk of Alzheimer’s from too much heading.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:57 pm

Good result for us Lincoln held Wednesday to a 1-1 draw. That's a 3 point gap opened up again

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:51 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:09 am
Just spoke to a Norwich fan who happened to watch last night's game. He said he thought it was a great game, fast paced without too much sideways passing. He even confessed that this Ipswich side would probably beat Norwich right now! Nice praise from a yellow! :lol:
Portman would need a Pukki to make it anywhere near close.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:00 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:20 pm
Bluemike wrote:
I seriously wouldn't allow a player like Ladapo to have an influence on deciding whether or not Kieron's management skills need questioned......, absolutely no way! He's arguably the breath of fresh air the club has yearned for since the 2000-2002 Burley years. I KNOW you ain't doubting Kieron......, but come on. Seriously?? I ask serriously......., what is it you are seeing that makes Ladapo a first choice striker? I only see Ladapo getting a game because its a toss up between two shyte strikers in Jackson & Freddie.

Things are going very well..... but to avoid a Mick McCarthy scenario from a few years back..... January needs to be focussed on a goalscorer so that the second half of the season is consolidated at the top.

Disclaimer...... IF..... Freddie goes on to be a star......., then hands will be held high in apology and acceptance....... but I genuinely doubt it.
It's not about what I think, it's irrelevent. IF KM thinks Ladapo is shyte why the hell is he putting him in the match day squad ? It would be very poor management. For what it is worth I believe KM rates him for his all round contribution to the team, the work players like him and Jackson does is creating the openings for Midfielders to take all the glory. At the end of the day we have no idea what is being asked of certain players by the manager or if they are in fact doing what is asked of them. I also agree Ladapo wasn't great last night, the same as certain other players aren't great on other days, Edmundson a while back was woeful, playing much better lately, Woolfy, errors all over the place, tightened up lately, it happens.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:15 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:00 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:20 pm
Bluemike wrote:

It's not about what I think, it's irrelevent. IF KM thinks Ladapo is shyte why the hell is he putting him in the match day squad ? It would be very poor management. For what it is worth I believe KM rates him for his all round contribution to the team, the work players like him and Jackson does is creating the openings for Midfielders to take all the glory. At the end of the day we have no idea what is being asked of certain players by the manager or if they are in fact doing what is asked of them. I also agree Ladapo wasn't great last night, the same as certain other players aren't great on other days, Edmundson a while back was woeful, playing much better lately, Woolfy, errors all over the place, tightened up lately, it happens.
For me, Kieron is questioning the lad. Massive TV game, at home, .... to put faith in JJ & Jackson over young Freddie and not introduce him until the 73rd minute says quite a bit. And yes......., had he scored a couple, it'd be genius etc etc etc....., but he didn't, and he didn't look like it either.

I don't know......., this team seems to be clicking all over. Chances are being created.... 33 shots FFS v Lincoln......, its just that clinical net burster required. A Paul Mariner.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:52 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:40 pm
If we do go for another striker, please can we go for one that occasionally gets a head on a corner? Or a cross? Much as I prefer football played on the floor, I don’t see any of our players running the risk of Alzheimer’s from too much heading.
Maybe we've got someone already on the books. Elkan Baggott has just got his second headed goal from a corner for Gillingham in as many weeks.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:25 pm

I said he should never have been sent out on loan and I stand by that.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:12 pm

I’d have him in our squad.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:33 am

I brought the Ladapo debate up weeks ago, but I was politely told to be patient. Well I have been patient and I’m still not impressed. I suppose you could compare his role to Firminos role at Liverpool, but that’s working out well?? Strikers should score goals. Agree they should be given time, but Freddie’s had an epoch! TJJ & Jackson are not the answers and btw I got told off for questioning Jackson’s ability as well. It’s not about being negative, we all just want what’s best for a team seeking automatic promotion. In my opinion, we need a proven goal scoring striker.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:38 am

Look who scored our goals last season, Burns and god knows who else, can't even remember, but Pigott got bugger all and Norwood and co not many either, I just feel if we brought in another 25+ goalscorer they would struggle to get anywhere near that too, due to the style we play, but as Tang said, if it ain't broke and all that......

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:27 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:38 am
Look who scored our goals last season, Burns and god knows who else, can't even remember, but Pigott got bugger all and Norwood and co not many either, I just feel if we brought in another 25+ goalscorer they would struggle to get anywhere near that too, due to the style we play, but as Tang said, if it ain't broke and all that......
Don't bring me into it.. :astroll:

I kind of agree with you both (Mike and 9).

No need to panic and tear up the script.. we must be doing something right. We're second and top scorers or there and there abouts. So agree with Mike that we don't need to do anything drastically different.

But it's only a third of the way through the season and it could be that final 10-15 games where we might come unstuck. If an important game is poised where the difference between 3 points or 1 point is whether striker can tuck the ball away. At the moment, I wouldn't put any money on Ladapo, Jackson or TJJ to stick away a 50/50 chance. I think those 3 are fine if they're not meant to score and put in shifts and create for our number 10's. But they're strikers and they need to weigh in with a few. The Derby game showed this where Jackson played well, but also showed he's no natural finisher. If that ball didn't rebound kindly to Burns - that would have been a draw. Two points dropped.

We bought Marcus Stewart from Huddersfield half way through the season to get us over the line - maybe we need that extra but of class up top like that. So I agree with 9 there.

The problem is. Who'd want to be a striker in a McKenna set-up? They've got to run the channels and tie up the CB's and create chances for the other players. And then take the chances when they come to them Potentially a lot of hard work for little goal opportunity. I don't think we need a 25 goal a season striker, but none of our strikers are likely to reach double figures. That's not good.
Im happy enough with Freddie being our back-up striker ( as long as he doesn't sulk) and Jackson being a handy squad player who can come in and stretch defences with his pace. Ahadme wouldn't have been signed if we'd have got our marquee striker and probably is a longer term project and is useful for the odd sub appearance. TJJ, for me, is a bit too hit and miss and I'd maybe cut his loan short and bring in another striker.

In terms of a problem... its a good one... because we're going well and we're looking just to improve things and not having to turn things around.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:58 am

Not bringing you into an argument, just debate, I just don't think it's cut and dried that a prolific striker would get goals anymore than we are seeing now. I agree about TJJ, I'd be sending him back tbh and trying to bring a replacement in, I'm still of the opinion Ladapo will get around 15 goals this season, if he's played of course. The good thing is as you say, a nice problem to have.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:42 am

^^^
Regarding the last two posts...What happens if Ladapo gets injured and is out for the remainder of the season? What if we drop into the playoff zone at the end of the season? Are you comfortable with Jackson as our main striker?

I don't think we need a +25 goal scoring striker, we just need a striker who can consitently finish. I'd prefer a hairy arsed striker with height who can win balls in the penalty box on the ground and in the air. Another benefit to having this type of player may result in him drawing defenders away from our attacking midfielders...giving them even more opportunites to score.

Just sayin...

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:47 am

I wasn't impressed with Ladapo's work rate when he came on, he seemed like he didn't care. His legs were the freshest on the pitch and his teammates had just worked themselves in to the ground to get a 1-0 lead, he should have been closing down everywhere to try and maintain it.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:50 am

Interestingly when Ladapo came on the other night, the Sky commentator was mentioning big issues between him and Warne. Never mentioned what they were and said in the end he was a big part of Rotherham going up. Maybe those issues are surfacing a bit at the moment with McKenna. Probably a man management issue that McKenna seems well capbale of dealing with.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:55 am

Frankly I’d be offloading him and bringing in another striker. He’s not for me I’m afraid.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:56 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:58 am
Not bringing you into an argument, just debate, I just don't think it's cut and dried that a prolific striker would get goals anymore than we are seeing now. I agree about TJJ, I'd be sending him back tbh and trying to bring a replacement in, I'm still of the opinion Ladapo will get around 15 goals this season, if he's played of course. The good thing is as you say, a nice problem to have.
Don't worry, it's a decent debate for discussion.

I do think it's strange that McKenna didn't trust in Freddie when he had his "mini purple patch' and stuck with him as the no.1 striker. Would have thought it was a no-brainer to build on that and build up his confidence further by letting him lead the line from the off. But he didn't and Freddie looked crap on Friday off the bench. We'll have to wait and see if it was a good call or not.

Its fine if Chaplin and Harness are scoring freely so we don't need a free-scoring striker, but they've dried up a bit with the goals lately. Think we need our number 9 to weigh in with more. If Freddie gets 10-12 for the season that would be a good outcome.... think he's way off that at the moment.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:59 am

Ricco wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:47 am
I wasn't impressed with Ladapo's work rate when he came on, he seemed like he didn't care. His legs were the freshest on the pitch and his teammates had just worked themselves in to the ground to get a 1-0 lead, he should have been closing down everywhere to try and maintain it.
Very much agree with Ricco and that is entirely my point. When Ladapo came on he had chance to make a claim but as said before he looked uninterested. Every player can have a poor game but surely he had everything to gain and nothing to lose, yet looked to me like he just didn't even try

Also as valley pointed out the sky team did say he has had his problems with Warne, so yet another reason to stick the boot in, do something, even like run.

I do hope he comes good for earlier in the season he did put himself about, finishing terrible in the main but at least he tried and ran for the team. Friday's game he looked a shadow of that Ladapo

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:02 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:27 am
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:38 am
The problem is. Who'd want to be a striker in a McKenna set-up? They've got to run the channels and tie up the CB's and create chances for the other players. And then take the chances when they come to them Potentially a lot of hard work for little goal opportunity. I don't think we need a 25 goal a season striker, but none of our strikers are likely to reach double figures. That's not good.

Then that’s exactly the type of striker we need to look for, if Jackson could do the #9 role better he’d be exactly the type of striker to play there. He’s quick, never stops running, closes down well ( hence the goal), but his final decision making / shooting on goal can let him down. We have enough data base supporting our decisions as a club now, to go and find that very player. Ladapo isn’t that player, in my humble opinion. He wasn’t even our primary target through the summer. I’ve no idea what the Burton lad can do because we’ve barely seen him in a first team shirt yet.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:43 pm

I suppose Mike does have a point with the 25 goal a season guy.
At one point, fans thought QPR were going to recall MacBonne and slap a £10M tag on him. But that quickly turned to moosh.
Maybe the “style” does play a much bigger role than …… well, i certainly think.

FTR……: the pies are too good at Easter Road……. I only ever really see a combined 35 minutes of actual play. So i essentially know fk all.

Start an AFL debate. I’ll argue all night long!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:47 pm

Steve wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:59 am
Ricco wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:47 am
Very much agree with Ricco and that is entirely my point. When Ladapo came on he had chance to make a claim but as said before he looked uninterested. Every player can have a poor game but surely he had everything to gain and nothing to lose, yet looked to me like he just didn't even try

Also as valley pointed out the sky team did say he has had his problems with Warne, so yet another reason to stick the boot in, do something, even like run.

I do hope he comes good for earlier in the season he did put himself about, finishing terrible in the main but at least he tried and ran for the team. Friday's game he looked a shadow of that Ladapo
Did you miss the bit where they said he scored some crucial goals for Warne ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:08 pm

The problem is Mike the way McKenna sets his teams up, his expectations of his Number 9 is very different to what “Old School” fans expect from the same player. Klopp sets his teams up very similarly in this respect which is why Firmino has only once in 7 seasons been their Top Scorer, and even then he only scored 10 in what was his first year at Anfield.

The modern game has changed so much and young managers like McKenna have such different expectations of players in certain positions and we as fans just have to get used to it.

I guess the only thing that really matters is the end result and based on what I’ve seen so far he’s doing ok.

I think we also forget sometimes that 28 goals scored in 14 games isn’t actually poor scoring, in fact if you look at all four leagues in English football only 3 teams have scored more goals so far this season, Manchester City (36), Plymouth (30) and Burnley (29),

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:23 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:08 pm
…and Burnley (29),
And Burnley yesterday. 2-0 down @ HT @ Sunderland. ….. win 4-2.
Can Ipswich be that level of class in a couple years from now, asking questions of being EPL class? 🤔