League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Derby County Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we finally win on Telly?

Ipswich Win
67%
Derby Win
13%
Draw
20%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Derby County Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:49 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Derby CountyImage

Friday 21st October 2022 – 20:00

Portman Road

Please note the return of Marko’s Caption Contest (The Don Cup) below !!!!

Pre-Match Thoughts - Bluemike

Tuesday nights visit to Cambridge Utd ultimately ended in defeat following what can only be described as yet another inept showing from a out of his depth Referee, it's one thing to be starting out on your career and lacking experience but my god that decision was about as laughable as it gets. Of course you are not allowed to complain about refereeing decisions as they even themselves out over the course of the season, or so I am told but it really is becoming a weekly event and I absolutely hate talking about these inept morons.

While the sending off of Kyle Edwards in the Seventeenth minute completely changed the direction of the game and in doing so spoiling it as a spectacle it did not stop Town from advancing to the knockout stages by virtue of topping the group and in doing so ensuring a home tie in the round of 32 which basically means we play a runner up from one of the Southern section mini Leagues, Cheltenham, Peterborough, Bristol Rovers, Newport County, Sutton Utd, take your pick.

Despite the disappointment of defeat there were still some positives to take from the game, aside from still winning the group we finally got to see Panutche Camara make his Town debut, we also Three of the youngsters show what they can do and the trio of Cameron Humphreys, Edwin Agbaje and Tawanda Chirewa all acquitted themselves very well despite the situation the team found themselves in, yes they will face better teams and sterner tests than this but the future looks rosy for some of the Town youngsters.

For me though it was old boy Richard keogh that really caught my eye, he just oozes class and the amount of times he was in the right place at the right time to block, head, tackle or intercept a ball was incredible, he strolls through games effortlessly and I think he is going to be a major player in the coming months, these kids can learn so much from a player of his undoubted calibre.

Many fans up and down the country view the Papa John's Trophy as nothing more than a hindrance and Town fans are no exception, most will have had One Eye on Friday nights home game against Derby County in what will be the Third and final game in the pack out Portman Road Trilogy. While it would be silly to say it is a must win I think it is important we do get back to winning ways following on from the shock defeat to Lincoln City last time out, you just know some will already be waiting to say "that's Three defeats on the bounce now" and all the cobblers that come's with it so a good performance and result against the Rams is a must for me.

Derby currently sit just above Mid table on Twenty points but are a solitary point off the play offs and do have games in hand on all those above them, their line up is much changed from recent seasons and most of the names don't sound too familiar to me, their results have been very up and down with a couple of impressive wins tempered by some really poor results with the likes of Port Vale turning them over on their own patch so which derby turns up is anyone's guess.

From Town's point of view I am not one of those calling for system or tactic changes, we are where we are doing what McKenna wants us to do, however I would just like to see a little bit of a more settled side and not Four or five changes every game, if they are unavoidable then fair enough but this rotational habit, particularly of the strikers is a little bit frustrating and cannot help any of the forwards to get into any sort of rhythm. I will be happy if we get anywhere near to creating the same amount of chances as we did against Lincoln City but would like our finishing to be that bit more clinical, hopefully Derby will be one of the few teams who come and actually try to play Football, that in itself gives us an advantage as it plays to our strengths.

Sadly it is in front of the Sky camera's and we all know how that usually ends up but we showed at Plymouth that while we may not have got the result we can perform on TV so the superstition can do One for me. It still takes some fathoming out that this is a League One fixture with Town and Derby always having been associated with a level comfortably above this but we are where we are for a reason, both teams have aspirations to get out of this hellish league and Town certainly look more equipped to do so at this moment in time, hopefully come 10pm Friday night we will have reinforced that belief. Tight home win for me in front of a fantastic crowd with a spine tingling atmosphere. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Derby County Honours

League

Football League First Division

Champions: 1971–72, 1974–75
Runners-up: 1895–96, 1929–30, 1935–36

Football League Second Division / The Championship

Champions: 1911–12, 1914–15, 1968–69, 1986–87
Runners-up: 1995–96
Play-off winners: 2006–07

Third Division / Football League One

Champions: 1956–57 (North)

Cups

FA Cup

Winners: 1945–46
Runners-up: 1897–98, 1898–99, 1902–03

FA Charity Shield

Winners: 1975

The Manager – Paul Warne

League Table

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

25 Sep Plymouth 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

1 Oct Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Portsmouth

4 Oct Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Cambridge Utd

8 Oct Morecambe 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

15 Oct Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Lincoln City

Derby County FC

17 Sep Derby County 2 - 1 Wycombe

24 Sep Derby County pp. Cheltenham

1 Oct Cambridge Utd 0 - 2 Derby County

8 Oct Derby County 1 - 2 Port Vale

15 Oct Accrington 0 - 3 Derby County

Head to Head

The Don Cup – Caption Contest

"Hello there folks. Bringing back The Don Cup for the remainder of the season.

Hopefully it gets a few laughs.

Different scoring.

3 points funniest
2 runner up
1 point for entering."

Start with this. Rosenior having a chat with Rooney.

Match Referee – Lee Swabey

IPSWICH TOWN 1 DERBY COUNTY 0

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Derby County Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:58 pm

Caption..... Rosenior to Rooney..... "I said your a big c*ck not how big is your c*ck"

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:31 pm

"Liam, the club is quite simply f*cked financially, and we need to raise money fast!"

"As you are not playing today, can I get you to walk up and down the stands selling pies .......... hold the tray like this"

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:25 am

2-0 Town.

"Forget how much money Colleen pissed away on lawyers, you should see the size of Vardy's wifes arse close up!"

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:41 am

Rooney: "You should of seen it mate, there were ten of them, all with **** out here!"
Rosenior: "Sigh, really, i'm sure it was only three"

Going for a 3 - 1 win to the boys in black.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:41 am

We've been sussed out now with our pretty one-touch football and a suspect defense and Warne will have done his homework from his Rotherham management last season when they tonked us with direct hard play, we haven't changed that much from playing poorly in either half of games so I'm going for a 0-3 loss.
KM needs to strengthen the defense and sign an out-and-out quality striker in the January window, don't do an MM and say we are ok with what we've got when placed in the top 4.
We have all seen it with our defense and striker problems, our midfield is the best in this league so sort out the defense now and we will stand a better chance of the Auto places.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:01 am

Not sure I get it Ash, we've conceded 12 goals, I believe only Bolton are better, Sheffield Wednesday have conceded the same and Plymouth more, we are the second highest scorers in the division so how exactly have we been found out ? You say about our Midfield being the best in the division but it is mostly them that do the pretty one touch football that you seem to be dismissive of ? We lost a game of football we shouldn't have lost, creating 37 attempts at goal, I'm not seeing how we've been sussed tbh, just unlucky on the day. I do concede however that we need to start games quicker and maintain our dominance in both halves. Of course you could be right, we could well lose, I'm certainly hoping we don't, I take no pleasure from that scenario.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:31 am

Agreed, and for me it's working well.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:49 am

We need to get back to winning ways: Ipswich 2 v 0 Derby

Caption: "Can you believe Coleen wants this MUCH of my estate?!"

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:22 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:01 am
I do concede however that we need to start games quicker and maintain our dominance in both halves.

THIS! Spot on, vs Pompy we came out so fast and could have had 3 before 20mins had been played, vs Lincoln it was the opposite.

We need to start grabbing the game early on and ideally getting a lead, then the match further plays into our hands as teams need to come out and chase the game, which allows us to exploit space/gaps.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:47 am

With Derby trailing 2-0, an impromptu but lacklustre rendition of Come on Eileen by Rosenoir with backing from Rooney on imaginary accordion failed to inspire a comeback.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:50 am

They all know what we are about with our nice football so if thats being sussed then fair enough. We just had a bad day against Lincoln and just could not put them away, we all get off days when nothing goes right, if we beat Derby tomorrow decently then that will confirm that and put it to bed.

The lads the other day (at Cambridge) all mucked in and were pretty decent, being a man down for majority of the came didn't help and only conceeded one.

We just need to be a bit more clinical, someone is due a real thumping soon and im hoping that will be tomorrow. We all know what Warne is like and they are going to be physical, if get an early goal and it will be a good game, im sure KM and his staff know what is needed and maybe Freddie can give him some tips.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:05 pm

The team's lost two games in succession but one being a steal Buster Edwards would be proud of and the other some garbage sh*t 'competition' 96 per cent of the fanbase could care less for. DCFC haven't lived up to expectation and run the risk of not getting promoted at all by end of season, something their fans and directors would view as near total disaster. Still it's their mess, they can get their own house in order.

Voted to win but all things are subject to change. Should have won the League in '75 instead of them but right now both club names are in a divisional situation where either really shouldn't be.

ITFC 1 Derby County 0

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:50 pm

Fast start take our chances 3pts. Let's hope Mcgoldrick does not come back to haunt us. We also have to beat the sky hoodoo 🙏

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:42 pm

Christ I completely forgot he plays for them.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:48 pm

It’s got a draw written all over it for me. Usual problems from our perspective will continue and Derby’s form doesn’t appear to be too bad. So s very close game. Get the first goal , and who knows.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:31 pm

So we’re up against one of the few teams in League One with a higher value squad than we have at Portman Road which suggests they’ll arrive looking for 3 points with no intention of parking the bus and boring everyone. If this is the case we should see two attacking sides playing free flowing football, and if this is the case I’m backing McJenna to come out on top by the narrowest of margins and I’ll be more than happy with a 2-1 win.

Caption;

Rooney to LR;

Hey Lee, My misses said Rebekah told her “she only married Jamie cos he’s got a knob like this”,..,.,made me laugh given we’ve been together in the knocking shop with the same girl who said his c*ck was so small she felt guilty taking his money, 🤣🤣🤣…. not like Colleen ha ha 🤣

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:11 am

2nd Caption:
Paul Warne Photo
“Govt issues public health alert: Human Rats the next threat after Covid.”

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:16 am

mendipblue wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:50 pm
Fast start take our chances 3pts. Let's hope Mcgoldrick does not come back to haunt us. We also have to beat the sky hoodoo 🙏
On the plus side we have never lossed on TV wearing a black strip. 🙂

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:31 am

1 win in 22 on sky, unbelievable

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:34 am

Just got sent this:

Liz Truss? Promoted to a top division and relegated in record time - you can take the woman out of Norwich, but you can't take the Norwich out of the woman.

Suffering quite bad with the Covid, but that made me chuckle.

Both Hibs & Ipswich in action tonight. Rare occurrence. Hopefully wins all round. 🙏👍

Ref caption:

Lee Swabey: “Covid? That still a thing?”
Me: “Aye it f**king is, Lee.”

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:12 am

marko69 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:34 am
Just got sent this:

Liz Truss? Promoted to a top division and relegated in record time - you can take the woman out of Norwich, but you can't take the Norwich out of the woman.

Suffering quite bad with the Covid, but that made me chuckle.

Both Hibs & Ipswich in action tonight. Rare occurrence. Hopefully wins all round. 🙏👍

Ref caption:

Lee Swabey: “Covid? That still a thing?”
Me: “Aye it f**king is, Lee.”

It’s still doing the rounds Marko, I went down with it on 30 Sept and took 10 days to shake it off. Hope you manage to do the same or better.

Can you watch The Hibbies on tv or will you watch The Boys in Blue ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:19 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:12 am
......took 10 days to shake it off.
FFS, that is not good. Hopefully this passes quicker.

In true Scotsman "mythology" --->> too tight for SKYTV, (binned it years ago) .... and not on HibsTV. So its the tranny for me. Yes, got my mate who dresses up in women's clothes popping round with his radio.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:23 pm

All I could think of when reading your comment above Marko, was the song ‘Laid’ by ‘James’ which I heard on the radio for the first time in years driving home from work tonight :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:28 pm

There certainly ain't any beds on fire with passionate love around here. On fire with covid temp though!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:14 pm

Contracted the thing back in the summer, very nearly cost a loved one a life, it's only some months after you get things into perspective. Nasty f**king business, don't suppose any population will ever really be free of it. Suffered mild symptoms as a non-drinker and participating in regular exercise, took enough jabs and vaccines to counter it. Watch yourselves out there.

Won't be possible to participate in tonight's event but wish the team well. DCFC Fans forum getting ahead of themselves and believing they'll win, let's ram it up their asses (no pun intentional) and continue to push on to automatic promotion. We got the players to do it and with the right attitude and determination not to mention a partizan home support there's every chance of the win. Let's go out there and do it.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:43 pm

Walton

JD, Wolf, Fridge

Burns, Evans, Morsy, Davies

Harness, JJ

Jackson

Subs: Hladky, Keogh, Ball, Humphreys, Edwards, Chaplin, Ladapo

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:53 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:48 pm
Very biased build up coverage
Yep all Derby?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:10 pm

A soon as I saw a woman pundit I switch off until kick off. Will do the same at half time.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:13 pm

Why oh why does Morsy get himself booked so easily and now have to ease off for the next 80 mins.