League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Derby County Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we finally win on Telly?

Ipswich Win
67%
Derby Win
13%
Draw
20%

Total votes: 15

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Derby County Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:11 pm

I doubt Burns fancied it after his last effort. Not sure if it shouldn’t have been retaken as the keeper was way off his line which gave him a huge advantage.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:18 pm

28,414 superb support 👏

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:23 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:11 pm
I doubt Burns fancied it after his last effort. Not sure if it shouldn’t have been retaken as the keeper was way off his line which gave him a huge advantage.
The penalty should of been retaken,though no confidence in Jackson taking it,good win happy days :D

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:32 pm

When did Burns last take a Penalty? Chaplin missed against Morecambe Evans scored the 2nd one.🤔

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:41 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:32 pm
When did Burns last take a Penalty? Chaplin missed against Morecambe Evans scored the 2nd one.🤔
I was thinking it was Burns who took it but you’re right it was Chaplin, either way we still didn’t have either our first or second choice penalty taker on the pitch. What do you think about the keeper ? …. was it a legitimate save or was he off his line when the pen was taken ?

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:45 pm

only reason why I would of preferred Burns to take the pen was he was on a high, Should of been full of confidence. Charny is right if Evans was still on the pitch then no discussion for he would of taken

I thought Jackson had a good game but just for me a natural finisher

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:45 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:41 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:32 pm
I was thinking it was Burns who took it but you’re right it was Chaplin, either way we still didn’t have either our first or second choice penalty taker on the pitch. What do you think about the keeper ? …. was it a legitimate save or was he off his line when the pen was taken ?
Definitely should of been retaken....By anybody other than Jackson. I thought Dominic Ball would of taken it initially?

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:57 pm

Strange game. Very scrappy. We did just enough to win for me. Derby not awful but no real threat. An ugly win - just what we needed. We can now relax for thebweekend knowing our nearest opponents re all away tomorrow and may drop points. Even if they win, we stay second so all good. Onto Port Vale on Tuesday... shame about Morsy and Evans but it was always going to happen so better it does against Port Vale than anyone more dangerous. We are so going up automatically this year... COYB's!!!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:13 pm

Why can’t professional footballers just smash the penalty home into one of the corners. Keeper would stand little chance. Jackson certainly isn’t good enough to do what he tried to do. He took the penalty from a virtual standing position. Bloody ludicrous.

A very good 3pts tonight when tbf I didn’t think we were at our very best . I’ll take that though.

Unfortunately it looks like we’re with Morsy AND Evans for next game now … had to happen didn’t it! Wonder who’ll come in ?

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:34 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:13 pm
Why can’t professional footballers just smash the penalty home into one of the corners. Keeper would stand little chance. Jackson certainly isn’t good enough to do what he tried to do. He took the penalty from a virtual standing position. Bloody ludicrous.

A very good 3pts tonight when tbf I didn’t think we were at our very best . I’ll take that though.

Unfortunately it looks like we’re with Morsy AND Evans for next game now … had to happen didn’t it! Wonder who’ll come in ?
Ball, Humphries or Camara I suspect 🤔

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:45 am

A good result - and by the sounds of it the sort of hard won, persistent and gritty performance that you need to get out of this league.

Derby are a big club and even if they’re not in a good position right now are tough opposition.

Still think it will be us and Wednesday in the automatics at the death, but that does depend on Plymouth falling away. Anyway all we can do is keep winning and that’s what we’ve done.

One thing that seems agreed amongst our rivals is we have the best squad and it is great to have good options to come in if we’re without Evans as well as Morsy on Tuesday.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:04 am

I still think we need a proven goal scoring striker. Well done lads for scraping out the win. I’d like to see a few more goals from us, and I hope that stat is improved soon. Another clean sheet though which is fantastic.

COYB!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:31 am

typed out a reply and lost all the goddamn work, let's keep it simple. A few points on tonight's event :

#1 fail to see why the team had to take to the field in an all black strip. It's traditional blue and white for home games, don't know what the deal was with that.

#2 another impressive home crowd, fans are coming back and enjoying rooting for the team once more. Hell knows it's taken enough time to make things better.

#3 jackson's penalty attempt seemed too complacent, would have provided cushion with time running out but the best team won. Derby can have little room for complaint or issue.

#4 we remain in second place irrespective of other scores this weekend, can't be caught or overtaken.

#5 good thing we had Burns in our team tonight and not Ron Rosenthal, viewed highlights and on another day could just have easily misplaced the rebound.

believe that's all but above all else it was essential the team hit back after the debacle of the lincoln city defeat. Team seemed to show character to get three points, victory was just about imperative in order to maintain an automatic promotion objective.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:28 am

Denny61 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:16 pm
Let's face we not as good we think we are..we will do well to make.play off..and a bit of complacency creeping.in ..don't think we have a great motivater in mckenna..a teacher maybe.
You really are a sad case Denny. Always captain negative and whats more - you are wrong! Life must be so hard being so negative - cheer up - we won (again). You only ever post when we are not winning or lose. The harbinger of doom...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:42 am

Total pr*ck if you ask me

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:18 am

A great result, but I think it was possibly one of our least good performances this season. Our passing was often poor, as we gave away possession far too easily. I think much of it was down to Derby making it difficult, intercepting balls and usually picking up the second ball.
Apparently we had 16 shots, but many were speculative efforts. Only 3 on target which will include the goal and the saved penalty. Meanwhile Derby had none on target.
An even game, for the most part higher on energy than on skill. We have had several games this season that I have thought were a great advert for league 1 football. Last night’s was edge-of-the-seat stuff, but certainly not Ipswich at their best.
Bloody great to win on Sky though, and to beat a team who won’t be far off the top 6. Both of those indicate progress on previous seasons.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:34 am

Derby we’re a very quick side. But you know what last season we’d have lost that . On Sky, infringing a big noisy crowd, Town would even have showed up . This days appear behind us now. We CAN win these very tight games, and we are playing regularly in front of near sell out stadiums at FPR. Credit to Derby they didn’t come here to park the bus , which made it an entertaining game (when you consider how big the game was).

Next up Port Vale - we MUST win this. No point winning against the bigger clubs if we can’t beat the so called smaller ones.

COYB’s

Ps Mike I hope your heart rate has dipped below 260 now !!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:36 am

Really good win. I've seen a few reports that show their disappointment about the performance but its the result that matters. And we dug it out when we weren't at our best. Don't care if Derby are 8th - I still think of them as a big club and this a big game. I'd rather we lost against Lincoln, but beat Derby. We got back on the horse quick enough.

If we fall short this year then I think it will be due to our lack of quality strikers. Freddie wasn't brought here as first choice striker as we were trying to bring in a marquee striker - so I tend to go easy on him. In Ladapo, John-Jules and Jackson we're lacking in that extra hit of quality and it puts a bit of pressure on the others to score - but it's working just enough at the moment. I can see why Jackson gets in the team, but I wouldn't put any money on him in front of an open goal. As long as those guys are putting in shifts and making openings for others I'll be behind them - but the one area of worry is we we're not ruthless enough and have to create too many chances to score. I'd personally try and bring in a top striker in January and if that means cutting John Jules' loan short and/or sending Ahadme out on loan to create a space in the squad, then I would.
Having said that, if it ain't broke - why fix it. We found another way to win last night.

As for the penalty taker. I've always liked a player who puts his laces through it. It's better to miss with conviction than all this hesitant placement bollocks. A penalty is supposed to be 70-80% certainty of scoring. If you play mind games with the GK then it's exactly what they want. These stuttering run ups and too-clever malarkey just puts the odds further towards the GK. Just hit the f**king thing.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:37 am

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:34 am
hallamblue wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:13 pm

Ball, Humphries or Camara I suspect 🤔
I was thinking Ball / Humphries combo tbh. I think that’s work quite well Tuesday night. Normally I’d go Camara but after 5-6 months out of the game he is quite rusty . Maybe he’ll get a half snd Humphries will get a half? Ball is nailed in starter for me.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:39 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:36 am
Really good win. I've seen a few reports that show their disappointment about the performance but its the result that matters. And we dug it out when we weren't at our best. Don't care if Derby are 8th - I still think of them as a big club and this a big game. I'd rather we lost against Lincoln, but beat Derby. We got back on the horse quick enough.

If we fall short this year then I think it will be due to our lack of quality strikers. Freddie wasn't brought here as first choice striker as we were trying to bring in a marquee striker - so I tend to go easy on him. In Ladapo, John-Jules and Jackson we're lacking in that extra hit of quality and it puts a bit of pressure on the others to score - but it's working just enough at the moment. I can see why Jackson gets in the team, but I wouldn't put any money on him in front of an open goal. As long as those guys are putting in shifts and making openings for others I'll be behind them - but the one area of worry is we we're not ruthless enough and have to create too many chances to score. I'd personally try and bring in a top striker in January and if that means cutting John Jules' loan short and/or sending Ahadme out on loan to create a space in the squad, then I would.
Having said that, if it ain't broke - why fix it. We found another way to win last night.

As for the penalty taker. I've always liked a player who puts his laces through it. It's better to miss with conviction than all this hesitant placement bollocks. A penalty is supposed to be 70-80% certainty of scoring. If you play mind games with the GK then it's exactly what they want. These stuttering run ups and too-clever malarkey just puts the odds further towards the GK. Just hit the f**king thing.
Absolutely 100% agree with all of that Tang

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:44 am

Yes as Andym alludes to regarding top teams; We have now played all bar 2 of the current top 10 teams, Winning 3, drawing 3, while only losing away at the league leaders!
- not bad at all for a team who struggles against those sides! The key thing is not letting those teams take 3 points off you, as even a draw can negate any advantage they may gain over you.
Who knows, maybe we'll also have a run in the FA Cup this year, going someway to putting that hoodoo to bed as well!

The main thing to come out of this is, yes we may not always have played brilliantly, sometimes officials have had a huge say, but when you take everything into consideration (i.e league position, match stats, huge crowds) I think any of us would gladly have taken this over anywhere else this club has been in the last 15 years or so?
"We've got our Ipswich back"!

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:15 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:36 am

Couldn't agree more.
I think that may happen in Jan if the right player is available. Maybe a loan also to get the club over the line.
Last night was a big win as for me Derby were well organised and dangerous on the break although they seemed to lack a cutting edge also.
Derby will be in the mix come the end of the season. Club is stable now with a good manager, so they won't be far away.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:49 am

Excellent result and decent performance given everything that went with it, big club opposition, Sky Cameras, Massive crowd, coming in to the game on the back of a poor result, so all in all the pressure was very much on us and we delivered. I thought we looked the most likely side throughout the game quite honestly and while Derby are a capable looking side Walton wasn't tested once, I think our expectations have gone up so much in a short space of time that we are expecting to be great every week but there is always Two teams out there.

I felt we came out of the blocks with a better tempo than in recent games and this set the tone for the evening, while we didn't exactly pepper their goal the ball was in the right areas for a fair bit of the game. For me it was a massive win, look at the gap between us and Derby already, does anyone honestly see them making that up ? I don't.

I thought Morsy had a very good game and for me was the stand out player, Burns too looked much more on it after a slow start, still a bit concerned about Walton's recent performances, not to mention Donacien too who seems to be labouring at times but that is splitting hairs. Another clean sheet has to be commended, we must be doing something right. All in all it was a fab evening, the others have to go into tricky away games now and get results, I have a feeling that in form Bristol Rovers may just turn Plymouth over today, but even if they don't we are right on their shirt tails.

Tang is spot on with his post although I do think Ahadme needs a chance to prove himself and Ladapo cannot be benefiting from this rotation that see's him in and out of the side all the time, Strikers perform on confidence and he needs to be able to build his up, I still think he is a way better option than TJJ who flatters to deceive most of the time. Without Jackson in the team with his pace we would not have scored that goal, he is no prolific scorer but look beyond that, he is a constant threat in other ways, can't take a bloody penalty though, I would fine anyone who stops in the run up like he did.

Reasons to be cheerful, must have upset the troll that we won last night. COYB'S

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:54 am

Was at the game - brilliant night.

Lots of good comments from others, I feel we are good enough to destroy smaller sides but we aren’t head and shoulders above the bigger teams so can’t expect to blow them away every time - but we are well coached and will always be very competitive.

We controlled the game against a well organised side, limited them to nothing, literally not a single shot on target for derby. They limited us too though just not as much, and our final third was a little lacking.

Burns had a good first half, harness for me was the best player on the pitch and the best I’ve seen him play.

TJJ was ineffective. Ladapo was terrible though, I’m usually good with him but he really was poor when he came on and added nothing, just looked slow and couldn’t find his runs or hold the ball.

We should be happy though, we’ve nullified a good side and came out with a win we deserved, a draw would have felt like an injustice.

We needed to get back on the win train and let’s go again Tuesday and keep the points rolling in.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:09 am

Just spoke to a Norwich fan who happened to watch last night's game. He said he thought it was a great game, fast paced without too much sideways passing. He even confessed that this Ipswich side would probably beat Norwich right now! Nice praise from a yellow! :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:30 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:42 am
a f*ck*ng pr*ck, Mike? :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:40 am

rossi wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:30 am
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:42 am
a f*ck*ng pr*ck, Mike? :lol: :lol:
Exactly that LMFAO.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:55 am

A very good result, especially considering it was on Sky.

It was far from being the best I have seen us play this season, and Derby were well organised and competitive and certainly didn't make anything easy for us. But we gave what I thought was a very professional performance.

I was a bit dumbfounded when I saw the team sheet, I have to say. In my opinion there is too much tinkering going on with the team, especially with the central striker. I call this sterile management. KM needs to decide who his main frontman is and stick with that, allowing that player to develop understandings with the number 10s and to build up a level of confidence. I still think we need a quality frontman, but at the moment I think he should stick with Ladapo (but maybe give Ahadme a couple of games when fit, John-Jules and Jackson are not the answer).

I had to laugh in the 41st minute - we got a free kick just outside their penalty area that was crying out for a left foot strike. From where I was sitting. I could see Leif Davis begging to be allowed to have a go at it, but he was over-ruled by Evans who proceeded to stroke the ball right footed straight into the wall - impotent pr*ck.

As for the penalty, well, Jackson should never be let anywhere near one. The man cannot hit a barn door from 10 yards, FFS the build-up to the goal he hit the post when it was easier to score - it was fortunate that the ball rebounded to Burns (who took the chance very well). A penalty needs to be taken by somebody who can put his laces through the ball with accuracy, last night I think Leif Davis ought to have taken it.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:55 am

BTW - I thought the black kit was great, but still would rather see us play in Blue

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:15 am

Well im up lol following the trek, and thanks to the highways workers for making it more entertaining with lane closures and diversion lol. Oh and a big shout out to the Bomb squad for their 6 hour jolly to blow up a packed lunch, seriously, they all do a good job.

Was great to meet Mike and Liz, and hopefully they were pleased I didnt turn out to be a nutter lol. Will see you again soon I hope.

Right the game, and what an atmosphere, was also impressed with the Derby followers, in good voice despite their loss. Thought the team played well, few passes went astray and they did pose some problems, a couple of times coming through the centre a little more often than hoped but we were equally causing them problems too, our pace on the wings and when we counter was good, shame we just cannot capitalise on that at the moment. Thought KJ was good, his pace is scary, just a shame he cannot take penalties, would of been a nice reward for his efforts. JJ played ok, gained us a few free kicks. Burns and Harness were good, causing them problems. Thought JD was a little off, not his usual brilliant self, him and Burns did not combine aswell as previous games. Woolfie and Fridge were ok tonight, nothing got through but had me worried at times. nice to see Freddie and Keezy come on, Freddie didnt get a lot of time to make a mark, would of liked him on earlier. Shame did not get to see Chaplin and Edwards come on, maybe that should of happened as few of the lads were feeling it towards the end, ran their socks off.

Overall a decent game, good pace and no real nastiness which was nice to see. Derby arnt bad but are no Ipswich!!

We are going up!