League 1 - Port Vale vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we back up our performance from Friday?

Vale Win
6%
Town Win
78%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 18

Ricco

Re: League 1 - Port Vale vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:06 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:42 pm
Well I’ve lost confidence in you Ricco. From now on I’ll check the facts after reading your posts. Error in fact is a major offense when reporting information…unless you’re a Trump supporter. (Hope you know I’m just fuckin with ya lol!) Who knows though with the lack of sense of humor on this forum. :lol: :lol:
Don't worry, I'm with you 9, I've lost confidence in myself too :lol: I have a 8 week old at home, so I'm surprised when I get the current year correct!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:05 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:07 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:12 am
Really? Wait til Paul Hurst reads that. He’s no gonnae be happy.
Pretty sure all Town managers since Joe Royal have had ego or other similar personality issues! McKenna seems to be a refreshing break from that tradition.
Were hunting high and low for this reply saw yesterday but got to say don't agree that all team coaches in that time here could be labeled in such manner.

Magilton, first in after Royle (not Royal) appeared quiet and unassuming. As a former player of the club name went about his business with a certain dedication, only problem being he just failed in his job in taking the team forward. Fine club servamt, lousy manager.

Keane also, thought were something quiet and taciturn. Not one to toot his own horn and were quiet and low-profile. Had a cetain reputation when coming on board but character between player and manager seemed complete contrast.

Biggest case of ego trips seemed Jewell and McCarthy. Took a moment to realize just how many managers we've had since 2006, it's easy to lose count maybe but not all names can be classed in the same bracket you understand.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:29 am

Jim is not a quiet and unassuming AP! I like Jim, I quite like forthright people who speak their mind, but they don't always fit well in the workplace and he was seemingly sacked from his job after Town for headbutting one of his players! You could argue about his level of arrogance, we don't know him on a personal level, but he's a fiery character and opinionated (a couple of characteristics that modest folk don't tend to hold)!

Again, it's my opinion, but I'm sure shared by many... Keane is very arrogant. Maybe not in a shouty way, which you might be talking about, but he always holds an air of superiority over most of those around him, and only has any respect for few very top level professionals. You may say he deserves to be arrogant as he was a decent professional in a top top side, but you can't claim that he's modest in the slightest. He (like Magilton) has fallen out with many many people in the game, and quite public and explosively too.

Maybe it's a cultural thing AP, and I'm not saying one way is better than the other, I love that Americans are comfortable and able to be far more outwardly confident without being considered arrogant, but it is one of the biggest cultural difference between UK and US. Confidence and arrogance is quashed in the UK, be too shouty and up yourself and you'll be put in your place pretty sharpish, do the same in the US and you're called the life of the party!! I don't know your background AP, and I don't wish to offend, but I believe you have been in the US for at least as long as I can remember, perhaps arrogance in your eyes compared to mine is the real difference here?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:35 am

Ricco wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:29 am
Jim is not a quiet and unassuming AP! I like Jim, I quite like forthright people who speak their mind, but they don't always fit well in the workplace and he was seemingly sacked from his job after Town for headbutting one of his players! You could argue about his level of arrogance, we don't know him on a personal level, but he's a fiery character and opinionated (a couple of characteristics that modest folk don't tend to hold)!

Again, it's my opinion, but I'm sure shared by many... Keane is very arrogant. Maybe not in a shouty way, which you might be talking about, but he always holds an air of superiority over most of those around him, and only has any respect for few very top level professionals. You may say he deserves to be arrogant as he was a decent professional in a top top side, but you can't claim that he's modest in the slightest. He (like Magilton) has fallen out with many many people in the game, and quite public and explosively too.

Maybe it's a cultural thing AP, and I'm not saying one way is better than the other, I love that Americans are comfortable and able to be far more outwardly confident without being considered arrogant, but it is one of the biggest cultural difference between UK and US. Confidence and arrogance is quashed in the UK, be too shouty and up yourself and you'll be put in your place pretty sharpish, do the same in the US and you're called the life of the party!! I don't know your background AP, and I don't wish to offend, but I believe you have been in the US for at least as long as I can remember, perhaps arrogance in your eyes compared to mine is the real difference here?
Keane was/is a pr*ck, in my opinion. Not sure if that's arrogant, but it means the same in the US. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:53 am

A pr*ck is useful, that rules Keane out.