League 1 - Port Vale vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we back up our performance from Friday?

Vale Win
6%
Town Win
78%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 18

Blue Wilf

Re: League 1 - Port Vale vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:21 am

Cracking win last night. A long drive home but fantastic Tractor Boy/girl support as ever. When it goes right, the passing from the back is good. When it goes wrong it is a disaster. We are great in attack but often poor defensively and that gives teams in this league hope so we need to snuff that out. Can't see Kieran changing those tactics though. Ladapo was immense last night and held the ball up so well. Ball played the Morsy role well but tries to play slightly longer balls in which leaves them open to interception (which happens too often). He did OK though. Leif Davis is so much better than this league... take the win and move on. Can we dare to believe yet...? Oh yes, I think so... 🤞 COYB's!!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:32 am

I've been believing for a long time, I still think we have other gears.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:42 am

Agreed Mike. There are also 30 games left - thats 90 points for grabs and we already have 36. Nice position to be in right now.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:55 am

Good win, and in spite of the fact that PV were better than I had expected I thought we deserved the win overall.

Leif Davis MOM for me - he's getting better and better every time I see him. Humphreys was great too, and his inclusion meant we didnt really miss either Morsey or Evans. And Ladapo, well I thought he had a really good game overall and he got into the right places for the goals he got. Hope he can continue in this vein, he stands a better chance of doing so if he gets regular starts so over to you KM.

Our defence concerns me from 2 fronts. As far as the back 3 is concerned, I think we look weaker when both Woolfenden and Edmundson play together. Replace one of them with Keogh and we instantly look more solid - another one you need to think about Mr M.

Most people on this board will know that I consider Burns to be incredibly overrated. Let me elaborate on that - I think he is overrated as a wing back because he cannot defend to save his life, and defending is surely 50% of a wing back role. For their opening goal last night, he was at fault initially when he lost his man - admittedly there were a couple of other defenders who could have then cleared the ball and failed to. Then when it came back to the goalscorer, Burns attempt at blocking the shot was pathetic. Instead of facing up to the ball like a man, or turning his back on it like a schoolboy, he turned sideways like a sissy so that he stood the least chance of the ball hitting him. If I was KM, I would say to Burns, "You wanna be a wing back, son, f*ck*ng defend the ball then". We have much better options at he club for a right wing back.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:47 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:55 am
Good win, and in spite of the fact that PV were better than I had expected I thought we deserved the win overall.

Leif Davis MOM for me - he's getting better and better every time I see him. Humphreys was great too, and his inclusion meant we didnt really miss either Morsey or Evans. And Ladapo, well I thought he had a really good game overall and he got into the right places for the goals he got. Hope he can continue in this vein, he stands a better chance of doing so if he gets regular starts so over to you KM.

Our defence concerns me from 2 fronts. As far as the back 3 is concerned, I think we look weaker when both Woolfenden and Edmundson play together. Replace one of them with Keogh and we instantly look more solid - another one you need to think about Mr M.

Most people on this board will know that I consider Burns to be incredibly overrated. Let me elaborate on that - I think he is overrated as a wing back because he cannot defend to save his life, and defending is surely 50% of a wing back role. For their opening goal last night, he was at fault initially when he lost his man - admittedly there were a couple of other defenders who could have then cleared the ball and failed to. Then when it came back to the goalscorer, Burns attempt at blocking the shot was pathetic. Instead of facing up to the ball like a man, or turning his back on it like a schoolboy, he turned sideways like a sissy so that he stood the least chance of the ball hitting him. If I was KM, I would say to Burns, "You wanna be a wing back, son, f*ck*ng defend the ball then". We have much better options at he club for a right wing back.
'Sissy.'
What a lovely word. Nice to hear it used as it is disappearing lin everyday speech.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:49 am

We have much better options at he club for a right wing back.

Have we though, Rossi? As I am not sure we have. KVY blows hot and cold and anyone who can defend better does not attack like Burns can. Yes he needs to do more but I can't see who would fulfill the overall role better 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:22 am

To be honest I am of the opinion that Donacien is a shadow of the player we have come to expect in recent games and as such Burns is sometimes bring affected by it, where these Teo used to dovetail perfectly going forward they seem to be more defensive at times which agreed isn't Wes Burns greatest attribute but I do think Janoi could be the problem at times, he was completely AWOL for the goal Rossi refers to add to that Ball's effort in defending was every bit as bad. I think Burns earns his place and more for his offensive threat.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:09 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:22 am
To be honest I am of the opinion that Donacien is a shadow of the player we have come to expect in recent games and as such Burns is sometimes bring affected by it, where these Teo used to dovetail perfectly going forward they seem to be more defensive at times which agreed isn't Wes Burns greatest attribute but I do think Janoi could be the problem at times, he was completely AWOL for the goal Rossi refers to add to that Ball's effort in defending was every bit as bad. I think Burns earns his place and more for his offensive threat.
ah, but that's exactly my point, Mike. If Burns is worth his place for his offensive threat, as you say, then play him in an offensive role. That may mean a change from playing 3 at the back. But my main point remains, that Burns is not worth his place as a wing back because he cannot defend and he is not brave enough.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:13 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:49 am

Have we though, Rossi? As I am not sure we have. KVY blows hot and cold and anyone who can defend better does not attack like Burns can. Yes he needs to do more but I can't see who would fulfill the overall role better 🤷🏻‍♂️
Well, laugh if you like but I would be tempted to try Jackson in that role - I certainly don't think he'll ever be a competent striker. But he tackles well, is fairly good in the air, is bigger and braver than Burns, and faster than Burns, so it may well be that from a below average striker could emerge an above average wing back.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:30 am

Great comments Rossi.

However we aren’t playing a back three now, it’s very clearly a back four with JD as RB. We then have a front three behind the striker.

Edward’s was immense too as well as Davies last night, really hope he starts more games now as he just looks so dangerous and can carry the ball/take people on.

We sorely miss Aluko and Morsy IMO for the time at the end of games where we need to keep the ball and see out a win, both of those are so good at ball retention and working in tight spaces.

Given the injuries we have we should be thrilled we have got another win, grinding them out now and it’s great to see. Other teams will have injuries and hopefully we will be stronger by then.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:43 am

shabba wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:30 am
Great comments Rossi.

However we aren’t playing a back three now, it’s very clearly a back four with JD as RB. We then have a front three behind the striker.

Edward’s was immense too as well as Davies last night, really hope he starts more games now as he just looks so dangerous and can carry the ball/take people on.

We sorely miss Aluko and Morsy IMO for the time at the end of games where we need to keep the ball and see out a win, both of those are so good at ball retention and working in tight spaces.

Given the injuries we have we should be thrilled we have got another win, grinding them out now and it’s great to see. Other teams will have injuries and hopefully we will be stronger by then.
Not sure it's as cut and dried as all that. We certainly start games off with 3 at the back - sometimes I concede we do switch to 4 at the back when the situation dictates, however I'm not sure that is what happened last night. To go 4 at the back would involve Leif Davis playing left full back, and he was making enough runs down the wing all night to suggest to me that was not the case. Burns was definitely taking up defensive positions throughout the game, just not doing them very well. I think that if we do change to 4 at the back during a game it is only towards the end of a game when we are looking to consolidate.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:03 pm

I have no idea why we went to Four at the back last night, it certainly didn't suit us.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:28 pm

when did we do that Mik e? Was it late in the game when Keogh / Burgess came on?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:31 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:43 am
shabba wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:30 am
Great comments Rossi.

Not sure it's as cut and dried as all that. We certainly start games off with 3 at the back - sometimes I concede we do switch to 4 at the back when the situation dictates, however I'm not sure that is what happened last night. To go 4 at the back would involve Leif Davis playing left full back, and he was making enough runs down the wing all night to suggest to me that was not the case. Burns was definitely taking up defensive positions throughout the game, just not doing them very well. I think that if we do change to 4 at the back during a game it is only towards the end of a game when we are looking to consolidate.

Maybe it's a bit like Mckenna often says, "it's not about positions, but more roles" in the team. So maybe we weren't playing a set formation but more that players were engaged in specific roles, which might see them drift between different formations perhaps?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:46 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:28 pm
when did we do that Mik e? Was it late in the game when Keogh / Burgess came on?
No it was a lot earlier than that, they even remarked on it in commentary.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:46 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:28 pm
No it was a lot earlier than that, they even remarked on it in commentary.
I think it was shortly after we scored our third

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:14 pm

from game reports and fan reaction it sounded like a real entertaining contest. Non-stop action, real end to end stuff. It's a shame wasn't involved but made a decision not to participate during game threads. The most important thing was the final victory, taking three points from something of a tough trip.

Seems Vale made us work for it, shame our defense isn't always as effective as it should be but we got the attacking potential to score goals at the other end as this and other results demonstrate. Ladapo may have his critics but made a contribution last night and doubtless other instances before it. If the team were more robust in other than midfield and attacking departments i'd feel more confident about an automatic promotion but as it is we got a real chance now of making it out this miserable league even at a relatively early stage of a new season.

Plymouth remain an obstacle that's tough to get beyond, all right they're obviously capable but the objective here is to gain promotion even if it means a second place finish. So long as teams directly below us drop points and fall further behind it's all rather well and good.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:58 pm

I'd love to find some heat maps, probably available if anyone has a sub to a stats site, basically we have been a back four most of the season as I see it, Burns is very high. Davies is also high but gets up and down a bit more than Burns does. Keep an eye out next time, look where JD is and look where the line is when we play out from the back.

Agree its hybrid system though and changes, but JD is more in the RB slot now.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:23 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:13 am
Blue Wilf wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:49 am

Well, laugh if you like but I would be tempted to try Jackson in that role - I certainly don't think he'll ever be a competent striker. But he tackles well, is fairly good in the air, is bigger and braver than Burns, and faster than Burns, so it may well be that from a below average striker could emerge an above average wing back.
Well I wouldn't laugh out loud at that suggestion but i do struggle to see why he would be better than burns as he is not great in the tackle, nor great attacking - he holds up well and works hard but i am not sure i would want him as a defensive rock... its not an easy one thats for sure.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:03 pm

At current points per game, Ipswich would finish with 103pts, the highest total since 13/14, when Wolves totalled the same amount of points in the year after McCarthy got them relegated from the Championship. Lovely stuff.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:29 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:03 pm
At current points per game, Ipswich would finish with 103pts, the highest total since 13/14, when Wolves totalled the same amount of points in the year after McCarthy got them relegated from the Championship. Lovely stuff.
When did MM get Wolves relegated from the Championship ??
New one on me ?

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:31 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:29 pm
New one on me ?
12/13

Well, technically he did jump ship in the February before they were relegated. TC took charge of the remaining 13 games a didn't win any of them...

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:35 am

Ricco wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:31 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:29 pm
New one on me ?
12/13

Well, technically he did jump ship in the February before they were relegated. TC took charge of the remaining 13 games a didn't win any of them...
Relegation from the PL, wasnt it? Not Champuonship. TC took one for the team to protect Micks CV.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:41 pm

Us getting pegged back is nothing compared to the U21's......

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... raw-at-qpr

Now that is shocking!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:41 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:35 am
Relegation from the PL, wasnt it? Not Champuonship. TC took one for the team to protect Micks CV.
Nah, they did the double down, McCarthy survived the Premier League relegation and then jumped ship when they were in the relegation zone in the Championship.

He still believes himself to be the best manager to have ever walked the Earth.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:08 am

Ricco wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:41 pm
Tangfastic wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:35 am
Nah, they did the double down, McCarthy survived the Premier League relegation and then jumped ship when they were in the relegation zone in the Championship.

From wiki: Dean Saunders relegated them to L1.

"....two years later the team returned to the Premier League as 2008–09 Football League Championship title winners.[41] Wolves successfully battled relegation for two seasons before McCarthy's dismissal in the 2011–12 season,[42] which precipitated relegation under his former assistant Terry Connor, who was promoted to replace McCarthy.[43]

Following relegation, Norwegian Ståle Solbakken became the club's first overseas manager[44] but his tenure lasted only six months before a poor run of results saw him replaced by Dean Saunders in January 2013.[45][46] Saunders failed to bring any upturn, culminating in both the club's relegation to EFL League One, a level the club had not played at since 1989, and Saunders's own dismissal."

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:12 am

Ricco wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:41 pm
Really? Wait til Paul Hurst reads that. He’s no gonnae be happy.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:04 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:08 am
From wiki: Dean Saunders relegated them to L1.
I stand corrected, looks like I've gotten my years wrong. Did seem a bit weird when I saw it, as that wasn't how I remembered it either. Forgive me, I'm short of sleep and sanity at the moment :lol:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:07 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:12 am
Pretty sure all Town managers since Joe Royal have had ego or other similar personality issues! McKenna seems to be a refreshing break from that tradition.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:42 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:07 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:12 am
Pretty sure all Town managers since Joe Royal have had ego or other similar personality issues! McKenna seems to be a refreshing break from that tradition.
Well I’ve lost confidence in you Ricco. From now on I’ll check the facts after reading your posts. Error in fact is a major offense when reporting information…unless you’re a Trump supporter. (Hope you know I’m just fuckin with ya lol!) Who knows though with the lack of sense of humor on this forum. :lol: :lol: