Ladapo...how best to play him ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Ladapo...how best to play him ?

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:43 pm

Why was Ladapo so much more effective last night, than in some of his previous games? I found myself pondering this question last night.

He was excellent in the box. Timing his run to perfection and getting on the end of CROSSES.

For me, he is not a hunter, closer down of defences. Hes too slow in my humble view. Jackson is the man for that, as he demonstrated last night.

So was our approach play different last night or were PV juts unable to stop us getting crosses in from the by line (we rarely seem to do this in my view). Our attacking style for me, is often "over played", and so strikers like Ladapo never really get the service. Last night we did get crosses in, and he was the consummate "fox in the box".

How do other view Ladapo's effectiveness? Is it him or the team and how we play?

rossi

Re: Ladapo...how best to play him ?

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:58 pm

I agree with you Liz - last night we got a lot more half decent balls into the box. I think Edwards, Davis, and Humphreys were largely responsible for that

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:11 pm

To be honest, we didn't play him any differently to how we've played him all season, sometimes it goes for you and score and sometimes it doesn't but Freddies all round game has been there, yes he looked a bit lethargic against Derby but by and large his work ethic is good.

I know you don't rate him and said he's not the answer and not for you but I tend to disagree, I think he's exactly what we need for the style and formation we play, I still maintain KM definitely rates him, he has Four League goals this season which on the face of it may not sound a lot but add up his minutes on the pitch and I bet he's played 10 league games at the very most, that's a pretty decent strike rate tbh.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:12 pm

Saw highlights.

For me……… i’m going to keep the jury in the debating chamber a little longer. Not at all convinced. He actually looks like an infinitely lazier MacBonne.

Do something that no striker has done for YEARS, Freddie…….. be consistent. Only player i remember doing such a thing was Jordan Rhodes, but it was for other clubs after King Roy moved him on.
Consistency Freddie…… go do it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:21 pm

Can't be consistent if you're on the bench every other game, nobody can.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:21 pm
Can't be consistent if you're on the bench every other game, nobody can.
This is very true. And a real head scratcher re first 73mins v Derby……. Hes on the bench.
And cannot fault Kieron…… so 🤷‍♂️……

…….. summing up……… thats why i install heating! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:56 pm

Lol, and that's why I work in a hospital

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:00 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:58 pm
I agree with you Liz - last night we got a lot more half decent balls into the box. I think Edwards, Davis, and Humphreys were largely responsible for that
Yep! The team overall seem to be getting better now at getting into the box, I noticed it during the Derby game too.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:22 am

I argued for years - mostly on the McCarthy era - that wet never got enough people in the box.
Looking back to Tuesday’s match, and thinking about the goals, the balls into the box were on the ground. That’s how we score nearly all our goals, which is why we so rarely score from corners. We don’t win headers so the answer is to play the ball in low.