FA Cup - Bracknell Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

No surprises?

Bracknell Town Win
No votes
Ipswich Town Win
100%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

FA Cup - Bracknell Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:11 pm

Bracknell Town FC v Ipswich Town Image

FA Cup 1st Round

Monday 7th November 2022 – 19:45

Bottom Meadow, Sandhurst

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Just where do you start trying to dissect last weekends draw at Charlton Athletic ? It was a rollercoaster of an afternoon that literally had everything, I think just about every possible emotion came to the surface during the course of the game. Following the opening spell of a fairly even game Town proceeded to take control and having gone ahead just before the break courtesy of a George Edmundson you felt even at that early stage that Town would go on to get the job done, there was little sign of what was to come.

Even prior to Town's opening goal there was controversy as TJJ burst's clean through, one on one with the keeper he seems destined to score but for some reason dallies on the ball and halts his run, a rogue whistle, not for the first time the cause of the opportunity missed, if it can happen to anyone it will happen to Town. Despite going in a goal to the good Twon must have felt they should have been further ahead on the balance of play.

The second half was barely five minutes old when town doubled their lead, this time TJJ making no mistake with a sitter of a header thanks to a glorious Wes Burns cross into the box, town celebrated while Charlton furiously complained that the free kick in the lead up to the goal was incorrect, so much so their boss Garner saw red and was banished to the stands. Call it over confidence or whatever but I was thinking that is another away win in the bag and job done, I just couldn't see Charlton coming back from Two down based on what they had produced to that point. How wrong was i going to be as Town let them back into it.

Charlton made changes which swung the flow of the game in their favour, Despite Edmundson being fouled in the build up they got themselves a goal from nothing, a super save from Walton fell invitingly for another Red shirt to slam the ball home, very much game on. Town came within a whisker of an immediate response when TJJ placed his header straight at the keeper when easier to score, it really was a glaring miss which would come back to haunt Town. Chances continued to come Town's way but we failed to capitalise and lo and behold the Addicks made us pay as the got themselves level. Harness lost the ball in Midfield and Walton spilled a shot he should have collected which again fell in the right place for the Charlton striker to ram it home.

Not to be deterred Town took the game to our hosts and looked the team most likely to win it in normal time, kyle Edwards had a glorious chance to get the job done but again somehow contrived to miss another glaring opportunity when it looked easier to score. While we had been served up a very good advert for league one already what was to follow in the Six minutes of injury time had to be seen to be believed.

Ninety One minutes on the clock and the man in form Freddie Ladapo picks the ball up Twenty Five yards out, superbly rolls his man and unleashes a shot which beats the keeper to send the Town fans behind the goal into raptures, Ladapo runs to the crowd and points to the name on the back of his shirt, a hero in the making. Three minutes later it was utopia as captain Sam Morsy scores an equally good goal to restore our Two goal lead with barely Two minutes on the clock, or so we thought. incredibly that was not the end of the scoring as in the Ninety Sixth minute the Addicks make it 3-4 with some crazy Town defending the cause, but surely there was seconds to hold out.

Sadly the referee saw it differently and played on and on, incredibly on 96 Minutes it was 4-4 as Walton makes another howler to allow the header to loop up and over him and into the net, admittedly others in that Town defence could be looked upon as equally as culpable but there is no denying Walton had had a mare of an afternoon. Moments later the whistle went and Town were left in disbelief as Two points and top spot were cruelly snatched away but in truth they only had themselves to blame although with the rogue whistle and extended added time there was also a feeling of injustice once more. On the face of it a point at Charlton was a decent afternoon but having seemingly had the game won twice it felt like defeat.

We will have had a Nine day break before we take to the field on Monday evening in the First round of this season's FA Cup with a trip to the home of the minnows Bracknell Town the order of the day. Selected for TV coverage on Monday night in the hope of a cup upset just doesn't wash with me here, yes we have a torrid record in recent years against lower league teams and our cup exploits have been a disaster but no matter what team we select this has to see Town into the Second round with little or no fuss, anything else will be a total humiliation and unacceptable, personally I see a comfortable win here with little to trouble us, I know nothing about Bracknell and see no reason why I need to know anything. I am going for a Town win with at least Four goals hitting the host's net and a safe passage to Round Two. COYB'S

The Opposition – Bracknell Town FC Honours

Isthmian League
South-Central Division champions 2021–22
Division Three Champions 1993–94

Spartan League
Premier Division champions 1982–83
Senior Division champions 1980–81
League Cup winners 1974–75, 1981–82, 1982–83

Hellenic League
Challenge Cup winners 2016–17, 2017–18

Surrey Senior League
Champions 1969–70
League Cup winners 1968–69, 1969–70

Ascot & District League
Champions 1911–12, 1932–33
Division Two champions 1913–14
League Cup winners 1908–09

Stimulus Cup
Winners 1998–99

Fielden Cup
Winners 1950–51, 1968–69, 1969–70, 1974–75, 1976–77, 1977–78, 1978–79, 1982–83

Berks & Bucks County Senior Trophy
Winners 2016–17

Reading Senior Cup
Winners 2016–17

The Managers – Jamie McClurg & Carl Withers

Match Referee – Charles Breakspear

BRACKNELL TOWN FC 0 IPSWICH TOWN 3

arana peligrosa

Re: FA Cup - Bracknell Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:33 pm

Must say it's an honor to have Carl Withers as opposing team manager. Last heard took a beating from Dolph Lundgren in a boxing ring and an arm shot off in Predator. Must try and get an autograph or something.

Easy this, voted to win and by a runaway score. Kind of wanted to give them the victory just for the fun of it - and all things can happen out there - but you got to be realistic with these things. We'll win by a clear score, maybe 5 - 0, 5 - 1. There will be no upset, no matter how much neutrals crave it.

We're not going to win the goddamn thing but this at least, will prove a step in the right direction. Bracknell 1 ITFC 5

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:55 am

The magic of the cup….Wow do we have a woeful record! I think you have to go back to the 09-10 season to find a victory. Since then we’ve been dumped out by the might of Barrow, Accrington and Lincoln. But things are different now, right?

I would LOVE a cup run this year. Just a few decent games against higher opposition to see how we fare. Methinks KMc will want to catch a few eyes too, and not for the wrong reasons. Be interestingly to see the line up but whoever it is will surely be too much for the opposition.

They’ll be those that say it doesn’t matter, it’s all about the league. Yeah the league is the thing but the feelgood factor from a cup run can not be denied.

Bracknell 0 Town 4

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:00 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:55 am
The magic of the cup….Wow do we have a woeful record! I think you have to go back to the 09-10 season to find a victory. Since then we’ve been dumped out by the might of Barrow, Accrington and Lincoln. But things are different now, right?

I would LOVE a cup run this year. Just a few decent games against higher opposition to see how we fare. Methinks KMc will want to catch a few eyes too, and not for the wrong reasons. Be interestingly to see the line up but whoever it is will surely be too much for the opposition.

They’ll be those that say it doesn’t matter, it’s all about the league. Yeah the league is the thing but the feelgood factor from a cup run can not be denied.

Bracknell 0 Town 4
Very much with you in that I'd love to see a cup run this season. I think, as we get more faces back from injury, we have the squad depth to cope. Maybe a draw against a Leicester City, Newcastle level of Premier League side further down the line, having disposed of Narwich in a previous round! :wink: :lol:

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:57 pm

I’m into this game now after listening to all the great podcasts- the KOA ones with their owner and manager are excellent and give you a good feel for what their club is about.

They actually sound quite like the Ipswich of their level, well run, okay good football and having good recent success.

I would like the Lineup to be….

Hladky

Adjeje
Keogh
Burges
KVY

Humpreys
Ball

Edward’s
Chirwera
Jackson

Ladapo

Would then bring on TJJ, harness and Chaplin later on as be good for them to get some goals if possible.

Love how strong the squad is now - even with the recent injuries.

Camara would be good to come on for ball but I’d like to see ball play 45-60mins to keep his match fitness building as we’ll need him now evans is out.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:53 am

The FA Cup is full of surprises look at this from Saturday :shock: Grimsby Town 5 Plymouth Argyle 1 WTF was that all about and our ex-manager Hurst at the helm, now when the Pilgrims come to Portman road I will expect the same result ( crosses fingers ) :) :D

Anyway back to tomorrow against Bracknell on TV we should comfortably beat them even with our mix of 1st and 2nd string team out on the park, looks like Mike's picture is of their old ground as their new ground is near Sandhurst is much better suited with a good playing surface, and they are a club on the rise with a good owner and managers, I'll expect the same result as Hereford v Portsmouth 1-3 Piggot grabbing a well-taken goal to boot :) so no nasty shocks I hope COYB

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:10 pm

Pigott has found his level then, Non League.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:52 pm

Was going to predict a record winning scoreline after seeing the picture of their ground ….., its like Penicuik Athletics ground……, but if you’re saying they’ve moved to a better location, Ashford, (meaning they’ve moved on to better things), i’ll say 6-0 ITFC instead of the 11-0.

On ITV4 , hopefully across the country. Hope we aren’t getting the Beechgrove Garden instead here in Scotland. Lets face it, who in reality gives a fk about Bracknell v Ipswich in Scotland apart from Valleyroad & myself?
Hopefully they do a show on stimulation of the clematis if its the Beechgrove.

2-0 HT & 6-0 FT Ipswich Town…….. got to be a clean sheet as well ——->> if its 6-1, KMcK OUT!!

Ref caption:
Mk dons player: “you think you’ll headbutt anyone today, Ref?”
Ref: “Maybe you if you don’t get a haircut before kick off.”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:05 pm

We should beat them . BUT, I think they’ll approach us with an aerial bombardment of high balls into the box. They’ve sussed our weakness and will look to exploit it I fear.

Personally I’d be playing Keogh/ Burgess tomorrow night, and I think we’d win . If we play the two usual flakes we stand every chance of an upset in my humble view. Attack is not an issue, our defence is.

UppaTowen 👍

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:05 pm
We should beat them . BUT, I think they’ll approach us with an aerial bombardment of high balls into the box. They’ve sussed our weakness and will look to exploit it I fear.

Personally I’d be playing Keogh/ Burgess tomorrow night, and I think we’d win . If we play the two usual flakes we stand every chance of an upset in my humble view. Attack is not an issue, our defence is.

UppaTowen 👍
I certainly think we should underestimate Bracknell at our peril!
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23104787.b ... cing-itfc/

Unbeaten since September, 48 goals in 19 games suggests a team, albeit way below ITFC, who have confidence, and confidence can do wonderful things!
I am sure KM will make sure our attitude is correct, no thinking we have won this before we step out on the pitch, no feelings of being "big time Charlies".

Of course I will be disappointed with anything less than a 3 goal margin of victory, but woe betide them sneaking a 1-0 goal lead!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:52 pm

I was bored and looking through football scores from yesterday when i stumbled on Brackley Town beating Kettrring 3-0. I thought we were playing them tomorrow and thought it a bit much they'd play 2 games in 2 days. But, off course, it's Bracknell not Brackley. Still, Brackley play in a league a step above Bracknell in the pyramid. And it really is a pyramid once you get to non-league.
Below the National League it branches out to geographically segregated leagues. Bracknell might play in a 7th tier league - but there's 4 leagues at that same level..... so these lot are a long way from us.
Personally, I'd wish we'd got a big(gish) club from L1 or L2 rather than these lot. It's all about them and their fairy-tale and we're just there as a potential unlikely banana-skin and a 0ay cheque for them. If we win 5-0 - it means nothing. Hope we just do a professional job and get a decent club from L1 in the next round.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:04 pm

Could the game be off now due to all this rain? Apparently their pitch is very close to water, and can flood.

Not heard anything official, just the amount of rain we’ve had today surely can’t be good and it looks set to continue all day tomorrow.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:49 pm

I’d imagine there’s every chance of a postponement especially on a non league pitch which won’t have anywhere near the drainage of an EFL standard pitch. I see this afternoons FA cup tie between Woking v Oxford United was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch with Woking only 15 miles from Sandhurst.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:10 pm

A reply from the owner regarding potential postponement.

'The pitch is fine we have pumps that remove water as quick as it hits the stone raft underneath! The forecast is not as bad now as has been the last few days. '

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:16 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:10 pm

'The pitch is fine we have pumps that remove water as quick as it hits the stone raft underneath! The forecast is not as bad now as has been the last few days. '
Let’s hope it’s not a farce as I’m sure a mud bath of a pitch wound suit them more than us.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:08 pm

They actually sound the opposite to a lot of teams at their level, they like to play on the deck rather than being physical and lumping it.

Let’s hope the game goes ahead.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:24 pm

There is absolutely zero chance of an upset here, get real people.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:44 pm

Gulp!! :shock:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:16 pm
Tangfastic wrote:

Let’s hope it’s not a farce as I’m sure a mud bath of a pitch wound suit them more than us.
They'll go ahead with it regardless of field condition. Could be like the Bayou swamps and they'll still proceed as planned. Any chance of pulling off a surprise or something that works in their favor. Wouldn't be surprised if there's no running water in our changing rooms or players having to undress in a cowshed. It'll be somethng of farce but once again, playing at their home venue, it's the only chance they got of causing the improbable.

If we lose we lose, not going to spend much time dwelling on it. Some fools on OTIB and Pink Un will doubtless be rolling around like pigs in heavenly sh*t albelit for one night should we suffer defeat but in truth, if we play poor and they deserve some famous victory, then more power to them. They'll have their day in the sun and make backpage reading of a few minor tabloids but what the helll, we got bigger objectives in the time ahead.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:52 am

Saint Taran Toola….., is that ^^^ one of those “I aint bothered if Bracknell win, we move on “ posts?

Must say…… it’ll be on an Inverness beating Celtic Scale, or Berwick beating Rangers scale or East Fife beating Hibs scale, or even a Hereford beating Newcastle scale…… and the Norwich fans would have every right to laugh their a$$es off.

Regardless if ipswich want to “focus on the league” ——->>> MUST beat Bracknell.

Jaysus H 🤦‍♂️

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:42 am

Caledonian beaing Celtic wouldn't be nowhere near a scale. Partick Thistle '71 (would be) more like it, which in turn was a runaway score in a Cup Final.

Let's be clear about it I DO want us to win tomorrow, no ambiguity in it, would like a freakin' F.A. Cup run because sure as hell we haven't had one for near 30 years. We're on track for one of the best league endings for many a season : a real chance of promotion, and (with) favorable cup draws. McKenna and players taking it seriously and the winds willing, we can - and should - progress into later rounds.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:35 am

Whit? :shock:

At that time when Caley beat Celtic, the buoys were flying. Was mind numbing news for weeks……. And Mary Poppins songs invented etc etc. 🤦‍♂️ :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:24 am

SuperCaleyGoBallisticCelticAreAtrocious.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:39 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:24 am
SuperCaleyGoBallisticCelticAreAtrocious.
Thats the one ….. hahahaha :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:44 pm

Still hadn’t bothered to see where Bracknell is. Looks like an average 280 miles round trip from Ipswich Town centre.
And a bit of a pain in the arse journey either clockwise around the M25 or anti-clockwise. Looking at the “traffic” google map, there looks like tailbacks everywhere! :shock:
Take the afternoon rain into account and rush-hour, i’d be advising Ipswich fans to do the ITV4 option! :lol:

Edit: 1 o’clock news on Radio Two explaining the tailbacks…….. “Just stop Oil” protestors. Those tailbacks look looooooong!
Plan your journeys wisely, guys n gals.

2nd edit: You could hope that you do get delayed. If like me, thats when you miss goals. It’ll be 4-0 Town by the 25th minute when you’re arriving…….. then it’ll be 4-0 final score! :lol:

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:24 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:26 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:16 pm
Tangfastic wrote:

They'll go ahead with it regardless of field condition. Could be like the Bayou swamps and they'll still proceed as planned. Any chance of pulling off a surprise or something that works in their favor. Wouldn't be surprised if there's no running water in our changing rooms or players having to undress in a cowshed. It'll be somethng of farce but once again, playing at their home venue, it's the only chance they got of causing the improbable.

If we lose we lose, not going to spend much time dwelling on it. Some fools on OTIB and Pink Un will doubtless be rolling around like pigs in heavenly sh*t albelit for one night should we suffer defeat but in truth, if we play poor and they deserve some famous victory, then more power to them. They'll have their day in the sun and make backpage reading of a few minor tabloids but what the helll, we got bigger objectives in the time ahead.
Their owner was on a KOA podcast and said they actually have very good facilities for their level, changing rooms are 1 year old and they wont resort to silly tricks etc, they did say its still not the level we will be used to and there is a 200 yard walk to the pitch but overall its a well run club that is flying high at their level. Its very hard NOT to warm to them after listening!

Still, come on town -can't wait for the game :)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:21 pm

Switched on ITV4…….. Rugby league with female pundit….. you watching, Charnwood? :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:29 pm

Good that KM has picked up on Bracknell's strong points!

Liz (and anyone of nervous disposition) might want to look away now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

"They have done well from set plays, with good variety and options, with big centre-halves who attack the ball well in the box, so we’ll have to defend well."

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:35 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:29 pm
"They have done well from set plays, with good variety and options, with big centre-halves who attack the ball well in the box, so we’ll have to defend well."
Aye, against other joiners, plumbers, sparks & postmen, Kieron! JEEEEZ!!!!

Just get out there and get them pumped. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:44 pm

A text from my Dad (a Narwich fan), did make me chuckle!
"Bit to busy to watch lower league football . I predict a Bracknell win , although there is a worry that the 4 retained firemen might get a shout halfway through , 😅🤣🤣"