England squad…

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: England squad…

Post by Ricco » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:41 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:10 pm
Here ya go, Ricco: https://usamocha.com/why-is-american-fo ... d%20States.
Why not call it American Rugby then?! :lol: :lol:

But yeah, I was trying to find out about the world series, apparently some bloke called it that a long time ago and it's seemingly stuck??

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 5024
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: England squad…

Post by number 9 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:50 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:41 pm
number 9 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:10 pm
Here ya go, Ricco: https://usamocha.com/why-is-american-fo ... d%20States.
Why not call it American Rugby then?! :lol: :lol:

But yeah, I was trying to find out about the world series, apparently some bloke called it that a long time ago and it's seemingly stuck??
Yes well that also begs the question, why isn’t the EFL the ESL? And why isn’t it Ipswich Town Soccer Club…rather than ITFC? Haha, we can debate semantics all day.

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: England squad…

Post by Ricco » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:14 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:50 pm
Yes well that also begs the question, why isn’t the EFL the ESL? And why isn’t it Ipswich Town Soccer Club…rather than ITFC? Haha, we can debate semantics all day.
Soccer?! Wash your mouth out :lol: Although interestingly Soccer is a term derived at Oxford in the 19th century and only fell out of favour in the UK in the 70s (or something like that) when the americans started using it :lol:

Shouldn't it be EWSL in that case, as there are Welsh teams in the pyramid?

User avatar
arana peligrosa
Posts: 9840
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: England squad…

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:10 pm

There's often 'some antics' around these pages although kind of guess that were an answer you were looking for.

r.e. the Soccer issue, all right Brits in particular still have a hard time recognizing the term instead of say correct usage "football" but I identify it as a distinction between time and tested American Football and simply kicking a round ball across a field in a competitive nature. You maybe view our 'rugby' equivalent as poofs charging about in protective gear like some manic shoppers at the end of year sales in Harvey Nicholls attempting to avert injury. Got to add, Think the rough and tumble of European sport including Gaelic events in something to be applauded. Kind of suggests that's where the real action's at.

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: England squad…

Post by Ricco » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:33 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:10 pm
Got to add, Think the rough and tumble of European sport including Gaelic events in something to be applauded.
I have to say AP, I'd feel far safer playing rugby than AF. I think the lack of armour means the players generally respect each other and have some consideration for each others safety. A hard tackle to the ribs, fair game, but anything that threatens head or neck is simply universally not accepted.

Whereas in AF, the protection seems to grant everyone permission to just run head first at each other like a complete psychopath. I could be wrong here, but I'd imagine if you knock out an opposing player in AF, it's probably something to be applauded?!

I think injuries are worse in AF? Part too because it's stop start, so there is no thoughts to stamina and therefore everything can be more explosive. Usain Bolt vs Paula Radcliffe type thing.

LizinSpain
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:10 pm

Re: England squad…

Post by LizinSpain » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:10 pm

Looks like I may have kicked a hornets nest over with my comment!!

Take a pop all you like boys, I've been putting up with sh1t from men at football since I was 10 and went to my first game. I'm 54 now and couldn't give a rats arse what you think. I'm entitled to my opinion like everyone else!

COYB (girls & boys teams!)

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: England squad…

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:43 pm

Just to clarify Liz, I wasn't 'standing up for you' because I felt you needed it. If I'm standing up for anyone, then it's the younger or meeker members or potential members, who may see such posts and think 'forget this'.

And just to clarify to those who think I'm going OTT on a single post or just aiming at a single undeserving poster... I'm not. My reaction is aimed at an attitude from a minority and it's from an accumulation over time from many pathetic posts that make this forum a less welcoming place. In this instance BlueBalls didn't deserve the response he got from me in the slightest, however if you consider other posts like the one below, it's probably more understandable, along with the fact he posted the same link a month ago which ended a thread there and then.

I've been a part of this forum for 16 years, and I'm part of this forum because it is welcoming and quieter than many, but it will become even quieter and less welcoming if some opinions are left unchecked. Dubai Blue is a great poster, but I don't see so many DB posts these days, little surprise when you get responses like the one below.

I'm glad you're thick skinned and feel everyone is entitled to their opinion BlueBalls, because I have a lot more to throw at you if you keep sh*tting on posters when you could just chose to not click and leave alone those who are interested. Don't watch women's football? Nor do I, but don't p*ss on those who do.

Image

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21618
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: England squad…

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:18 pm

Jaysus H Christ on a popsicle stick, Ricco?! :shock: Got to assume you maybe have a wife or daughters in the game and are vehemently defending the Women's game? To remember a couple posts that are 5 days away from being A YEAR OLD, :shock: ....., (and remembering who posted them)......, that is quite unbelievable...., but also passionate for the relative "equality".

By the way......., did you know Paulo Rossi is dead?

User avatar
arana peligrosa
Posts: 9840
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: England squad…

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:27 pm

Paolo Rossi is the actual name. Out of time now but got mention a day or two back that Jose Luis Brown a.k.a Tata had died also, a year or two back. Scored the opening goal in '86 for Argentina's Final victory in Mexico. Was around 63 years of age at time of passing. Got to admit were a touch sad to receive the news. Valdano and Burruchaga are still alive and well by all accounts.

Image

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21618
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: England squad…

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:32 pm

LizinSpain wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:10 pm
Looks like I may have kicked a hornets nest over with my comment!!

Take a pop all you like boys, I've been putting up with sh1t from men at football since I was 10 and went to my first game. I'm 54 now and couldn't give a rats arse what you think. I'm entitled to my opinion like everyone else!

COYB (girls & boys teams!)
I want to say this , Liz....., (which I think you'll find funny if my judge of written character is correct)........ the youtube link.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syV2LkGpQB0

....., and I am hoping you've been around some "decent men" in your 44 years at the football to realise its humour.

Quite sad that you've been subjected to "sh1t" at the football throughout your life ...., in your words.... "since you were 10"
I know an absolute bus-load of Hibernian women supporters, (including my daughter and her pals) and many many others who've been married at Easter Road Stadium. Most, if not all, take no sh1t from men. Sincerely hoping you were not forced to Spain to get away from the "sh1t"?
Was it @ Ipswich Town?

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: England squad…

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:40 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:18 pm
Got to assume you maybe have a wife or daughters in the game and are vehemently defending the Women's game?
No connection to the ladies game Marko, you probably know by now that I'm simply a grumpy git with an overactive sense of fairness. I do however have a 10 week old daughter now, which quite probably has made me ever more irritable and protective it seems!
marko69 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:18 pm
By the way......., did you know Paulo Rossi is dead?
I have far more information in my brain that I have forgotten and then been reminded of, than anything else :lol: I'll definitely be one of those old boys in the nursing home repeating the same story like it's the first time I've ever mentioned it.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21618
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: England squad…

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:48 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:40 pm
marko69 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:18 pm
Got to assume you maybe have a wife or daughters in the game and are vehemently defending the Women's game?
No connection to the ladies game Marko, you probably know by now that I'm simply a grumpy git with an overactive sense of fairness. I do however have a 10 week old daughter now, which quite probably has made me ever more irritable and protective it seems!
marko69 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:18 pm
By the way......., did you know Paulo Rossi is dead?
I have far more information in my brain that I have forgotten and then been reminded of, than anything else :lol: I'll definitely be one of those old boys in the nursing home repeating the same story like it's the first time I've ever mentioned it.
10 weeks old........, one thing the brain has never forgotten......., the sleepless nights. :lol:

arana peligrosa wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:27 pm
Paolo Rossi is the actual name.
And err....., sorry Spidey. ......, I'd forgotten he'd died......, no chance getting his name correct! :D

LizinSpain
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:10 pm

Re: England squad…

Post by LizinSpain » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:50 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:32 pm
LizinSpain wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:10 pm
Looks like I may have kicked a hornets nest over with my comment!!

Take a pop all you like boys, I've been putting up with sh1t from men at football since I was 10 and went to my first game. I'm 54 now and couldn't give a rats arse what you think. I'm entitled to my opinion like everyone else!

COYB (girls & boys teams!)
I want to say this , Liz....., (which I think you'll find funny if my judge of written character is correct)........ the youtube link.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syV2LkGpQB0

....., and I am hoping you've been around some "decent men" in your 44 years at the football to realise its humour.

Quite sad that you've been subjected to "sh1t" at the football throughout your life ...., in your words.... "since you were 10"
I know an absolute bus-load of Hibernian women supporters, (including my daughter and her pals) and many many others who've been married at Easter Road Stadium. Most, if not all, take no sh1t from men. Sincerely hoping you were not forced to Spain to get away from the "sh1t"?
Was it @ Ipswich Town?

Nothing would drive me out of Portman Road, not even idiots who think women shouldn't be in the SBR!!! 🤣 I take no prisoners now if I, or any other women get any crap off men at football be it here in Spain, or Germnay when we lived there and especially when I'm home and get to a game. Unfortunately last time I was back some juvenile delinquent made a few comments but I just whispered a few home truths in their ear and carried on drinking my pint. It will always happen I suspect but its obviously how they have been brought up! 😉

We live in Spain because is warmer and cheaper!!!!! 😁

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 26521
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: England squad…

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:53 pm

Bloody hooligan Liz

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2590
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: England squad…

Post by rossi » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:42 am

Ricco wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:43 pm
Just to clarify Liz, I wasn't 'standing up for you' because I felt you needed it. If I'm standing up for anyone, then it's the younger or meeker members or potential members, who may see such posts and think 'forget this'.

And just to clarify to those who think I'm going OTT on a single post or just aiming at a single undeserving poster... I'm not. My reaction is aimed at an attitude from a minority and it's from an accumulation over time from many pathetic posts that make this forum a less welcoming place. In this instance BlueBalls didn't deserve the response he got from me in the slightest, however if you consider other posts like the one below, it's probably more understandable, along with the fact he posted the same link a month ago which ended a thread there and then.

I've been a part of this forum for 16 years, and I'm part of this forum because it is welcoming and quieter than many, but it will become even quieter and less welcoming if some opinions are left unchecked. Dubai Blue is a great poster, but I don't see so many DB posts these days, little surprise when you get responses like the one below.

I'm glad you're thick skinned and feel everyone is entitled to their opinion BlueBalls, because I have a lot more to throw at you if you keep sh*tting on posters when you could just chose to not click and leave alone those who are interested. Don't watch women's football? Nor do I, but don't p*ss on those who do.
Maybe you ought to take your own advice, then, and just choose to leave alone rather than 'sh*tting on posters' (sic).
I speak from experience, having had a run-in with you on this board in the past over drinking and driving in which you assumed the moral high ground and chose to completely disregard the point I was making.

You may consider that your opinions are aligned with what is perceived to be correct by society in general, but that is not necessarily the case, it's just your opinion. At the end of the day, we all have differing opinions, which is human nature. None of us has the right to judge anybody else.

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: England squad…

Post by Ricco » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:20 am

rossi wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:42 am
Maybe you ought to take your own advice, then, and just choose to leave alone rather than 'sh*tting on posters' (sic).
Alright Gandhi, you get in more scrapes on here than anyone, so I'm not sure you can preach :lol:

There's a difference to sh*tting on posters who are simply conversing about something they're interested in, and sh*tting on those who are sh*tting on others. So long as I don't break any forum rules, or someone who I respect suggests I do otherwise, then I will happily continue doing the later, thank you.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21618
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: England squad…

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:22 am

LizinSpain wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:50 pm
We live in Spain because is warmer and cheaper!!!!! 😁
:lol: 👌 Great stuff, Liz. And are you a self proclaimed “geezer-bird” ? :lol: A great friend of ours is Colleen …… pints & football chat down the Black Bull Tavern on Leith Walk after games. She’s a breath of fresh air…… and I hope this doesnt sound as if “women are delicate”, but the gutter chat is kept out of the conv, which I 100% prefer. Nothing worse than trying to hide under a table when you know you’re being tarred with the same brush as your pal (by families with kids) who is talking blue stories in a voice just a few decibels louder than it should be 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
All that crap disappears when Col and her pals are sitting round the table. 👍

Are you going to say, “get me a pint and tell me a blue joke, you pussy!” :lol:

Been a few holidays over the years……. But only Sicily properly connected with me and the Mrs. Thats where we’d love to retire to. No doubt the Greek Islands would be similar but never been.
Been to Nerja & Palafrugell in Spain…….. both great…….. but it ain’t Italia!

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21618
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: England squad…

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:26 am

Gandhi :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2590
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: England squad…

Post by rossi » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:03 pm

Ricco wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:20 am
rossi wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:42 am
Maybe you ought to take your own advice, then, and just choose to leave alone rather than 'sh*tting on posters' (sic).
Alright Gandhi, you get in more scrapes on here than anyone, so I'm not sure you can preach :lol:

There's a difference to sh*tting on posters who are simply conversing about something they're interested in, and sh*tting on those who are sh*tting on others. So long as I don't break any forum rules, or someone who I respect suggests I do otherwise, then I will happily continue doing the later, thank you.
Ha, I'm not preaching, merely observing.

Not sure I get into more scrapes on here than anybody else - Ive been a member of this forum for longer than most on here, but I've not been banned yet (unlike some).

All I will say further is beware the domino effect, you say you are sh*tting on a poster who is sh*tting on others, some posters might start to sh*t on you for doing that, others then join in and before you know it the whole forum is at war. Better to let the moderators sort out any issues of a poster sh*tting on others, that's the responsible thing to do anyway :wink:

hallamblue
Posts: 28405
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: England squad…

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:08 pm

In many ways you’ve gotta feel sorry for the Welsh squad. They’ve waited 64 years to make a World Cup finals, and they’ve achieved in a year when it’ll probably be the biggest “ non event” and least remembered competition in the Sport’s history.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21618
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: England squad…

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:30 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:08 pm
In many ways you’ve gotta feel sorry for the Welsh squad. They’ve waited 64 years to make a World Cup finals, and they’ve achieved in a year when it’ll probably be the biggest “ non event” and least remembered competition in the Sport’s history.
Holy shoot……. What a fright. :shock: Thought they’d banned leeks as well.

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: England squad…

Post by Ricco » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:01 am

rossi wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:03 pm
I've not been banned yet (unlike some).
You've been sent to the naughty step once or twice though right? :lol:

You may be right, but the real wars start when the team flounders. We're currently in the automatics, so I don't mind chancing a ruckus to keep things interesting while the mood is jovial.

User avatar
Frosty
Forum Owner
Posts: 3750
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:46 am

Re: England squad…

Post by Frosty » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:31 am

rossi wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:03 pm
Ricco wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:20 am
rossi wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:42 am
Maybe you ought to take your own advice, then, and just choose to leave alone rather than 'sh*tting on posters' (sic).
Alright Gandhi, you get in more scrapes on here than anyone, so I'm not sure you can preach :lol:

There's a difference to sh*tting on posters who are simply conversing about something they're interested in, and sh*tting on those who are sh*tting on others. So long as I don't break any forum rules, or someone who I respect suggests I do otherwise, then I will happily continue doing the later, thank you.
Ha, I'm not preaching, merely observing.

Not sure I get into more scrapes on here than anybody else - Ive been a member of this forum for longer than most on here, but I've not been banned yet (unlike some).

All I will say further is beware the domino effect, you say you are sh*tting on a poster who is sh*tting on others, some posters might start to sh*t on you for doing that, others then join in and before you know it the whole forum is at war. Better to let the moderators sort out any issues of a poster sh*tting on others, that's the responsible thing to do anyway :wink:

Oh God the forum appears to have gone down with a diarrhea out break, shall I shut it down for a few days while everyone recovers? :wink: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 5024
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: England squad…

Post by number 9 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:53 am

I find it quite amusing that women’s football brought the men out of the men! Lovely! That’s why it’s a forum! :lol:

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21618
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: England squad…

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:23 am

number 9 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:53 am
I find it quite amusing that women’s football brought the men out of the men! Lovely! That’s why it’s a forum! :lol:
Got to keep those fires in the bellies going, 9. 👍👌 :D

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 26521
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: England squad…

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:29 am

I blame Pankhurst

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: England squad…

Post by Ricco » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:23 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:29 am
I blame Pankhurst
Excellent winger back in the day, cracking left foot.

LizinSpain
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:10 pm

Re: England squad…

Post by LizinSpain » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:53 pm
Bloody hooligan Liz
Shush you!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Reply