League 1 - Exeter City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3rd draw in a row?

Exeter Win
28%
Ipswich Win
39%
Draw
33%

Total votes: 18

arana peligrosa

Re: League 1 - Exeter City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:05 pm

Too early a start for some although wouldn't have got involved anyhow. Win is everything, it were going to a tough trip over there, a long arduous journey there and back so for the team to get victory and with what seems something to spare is pleasing. Haven't seen game highlights as yet but that can come later. I wish it were domestics all the way through to end of year, I know we must have some games during the upcoming World Cup bullshit, but it's got to have SOME effect on league matters. Just a damn distraction I (we) don't need that's all.

Other scores today were mixed it seems. Plymouth drop points is encouraging but SWFC are too close (behind) for comfort you got to say.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:10 pm

We will be champions

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:44 pm

Well ^^^ ......., certainly starting to "believe" ....., it is getting very exciting. Today really was a statement of intent.

If anything......, for a first attempt at managing a team of true stature on his own......., Kieron is doing an immense job.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:26 pm

Well I'm pleased to be proved wrong on 2 counts, as I predicted us to lose and Plymouth to win.

Overall a much better performance today than I had expected, though I still wish we would move the ball a lot quicker than we do. Ladapo MOM for me, Burgess, Harness, and Davis all did well. Chaplin and Burns very poor though.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:30 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:39 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:43 pm
bluejacko wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:07 pm
Right then as I’ve obviously been on planet zog🙄 does sky do a rerun of the game?
Sky Sports Football (403) 9.15pm Tonight.
You are a star👍👌😄
Hope you’ve managed to watch it Bluejacko, it was so good I’m watching the second half again having only intended to switch channels to check to see if it was on. 👍

If you missed it it’s on again at 01.15am 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:49 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:15 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:09 pm
Great day for us
The league table is looking very healthy for us, with a sizeable points gap below 3rd place.
If the top 3 keep widening the gap it’s going to be a right bummer for whichever club finishes 3rd. However past experiences would suggest that one of the three current leaders will most likely not stay the pace and fall way in the new year, it happens every season. We just have to make sure it not us but given our squad depth we’re probably the least at risk, at least I hope so.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:08 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:30 pm
bluejacko wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:39 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:43 pm

Sky Sports Football (403) 9.15pm Tonight.
You are a star👍👌😄
Hope you’ve managed to watch it Bluejacko, it was so good I’m watching the second half again having only intended to switch channels to check to see if it was on. 👍

If you missed it it’s on again at 01.15am 👍
Ifollow have a full match replay as well as extended highlights (9 minutes).

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:09 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:49 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:09 pm
Great day for us
The league table is looking very healthy for us, with a sizeable points gap below 3rd place.
If the top 3 keep widening the gap it’s going to be a right bummer for whichever club finishes 3rd. However past experiences would suggest that one of the three current leaders will most likely not stay the pace and fall way in the new year, it happens every season. We just have to make sure it not us but given our squad depth we’re probably the least at risk, at least I hope so.

I reckon it’ll be Plymouth . Can’t see it being SWFC… and hopefully, not us!

Plymouth have the smaller squad and a few of their key players are loans. They might lose these in January (I don’t know).

I think they prosper in first half of the season by their geographic position : they win a high proportion of their home games , and don’t fair so well away from home ( due to travel?). Going into second half of season I think they small squad struggles with the distances they have to travel…. But looking at the run in they have a fair few home games and against lower half teams. So I hope they start to drop off the pace over Christmas and new year …. They had an injury to a key player before yesterdays game and these things start to take their toll on a small squad.

Fingers crossed eh 🤞

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:27 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:09 am
Charnwood wrote:
AzzurroMark wrote:

Plymouth have the smaller squad and a few of their key players are loans. They might lose these in January (I don’t know).

I think they prosper in first half of the season by their geographic position : they win a high proportion of their home games , and don’t fair so well away from home ( due to travel?). Going into second half of season I think they small squad struggles with the distances they have to travel…. But looking at the run in they have a fair few home games and against lower half teams. So I hope they start to drop off the pace over Christmas and new year …. They had an injury to a key player before yesterdays game and these things start to take their toll on a small squad.

Fingers crossed eh 🤞
All we can do is keep winning. The fact is if we do that we go up automatically no matter what anyone else does. Inevitably, we’ll drop points here and there but so will others and we can match the other two over the season, I’m sure of it. Exeter’s fb site is full of praise for town - easily the best team they’ve played etc although I guess they’ve got a grudge against Plymouth!

But I too think Wednesday will be above Plymouth by the end. But they’re not infallible and if they lose Bannon through injury will be half the team. I did a bit of snooping around SW’s forum too, they arrogantly believe they’re going up as champions. We’ll see about that!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:13 am

Must admit it is nice reading some of the stats for Ipswich! Two which particularly stood out for me, and certainly put us in a much better position;
Town won seven of their 23 away league games last season. They’ve already matched that number in 10 away league matches this campaign.
It took Town 36 attempts across the best part of eight years to win three live televised games.
They’ve now gone and won three on the spin in front of the TV cameras.
Source- EADT

Now let's get out of this league, hoping our local rivals stay in the Championship, and put another poor record (since 2009) straight with a win in a local derby! :wink:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:33 am

Good to see Burgess playing well. I always thought he'd do well in this league. Well done Freddie scoring again! I hope we can carve out a bit of consistency now, and get back to our early form.

COYB!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:39 am

Perfect game after the last two results. Comfortable, assured and professional. Back on the horse again. Even better to hear Plymouth squandered a win in the 97th minute. Makes the memories of the Charlton game feel a bit better... it happens to other teams, too. Plymouth have done great so far and overachieved, but do wonder if a blow like that will knock their confidence and will affect them. Think back to us on the Championship in 2014/15 when we led the division, but we eventually got found out as a mid-table team and only just stumbled into the play-offs. Wonder if Plymouth will hit that rocky patch soon and fall away and I've heard their fanbase are half expecting that to happen as well.

Burgess has got to stay at CB. Feels so much more comfortable when balls get pumped into the box and he seems to get his head on all of them. Don't care who plays next to him, but. I think we've really missed him .

Still can't believe Humphreys is only 18. So mature, great vision, fantastic touch and an eye for goal. Good engine, too. No need to replace him with Camara yet. And softens the blow with the Ball injury. This step up to first team doesn't seem to phase him.
Ive heard him being described as a combination between Downes and Dozzell. Downes aside, if given the choice between him and Andre Dozzell. No contest- id take Humphreys with only a few appearances under his belt than that lazy showpony Dozzell. Humphreys is going to be some player.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:47 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:33 am
Good to see Burgess playing well. I always thought he'd do well in this league. Well done Freddie scoring again! I hope we can carve out a bit of consistency now, and get back to our early form.

COYB!
Burgess is getting a lot of deserved praise for his performances this season, the stats back this up;

Of the 5 league games he has started in this season, we have conceded just a single goal.
As a further note of interest when he & Wolfie have started as the CB pairing (league games) they have an immaculate record of 4 played 0 conceded. The only blot on the record came in his first start when paired with Edmundsen away at Forest Green. Certainly paints a pretty obvious picture for me.
For the record those games were;
FGR (a) 1-2
Shrewsbury (a) 0-3
Accrington (a) 0-2
Bristol R (h) 2-0
Exeter (a) 0-2

Edit: Just think the difference he could have made if not for his enforced lay off through injury? I think it is, based on the above stats, highly likely we'd be in top spot now!

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:50 pm

Still can't believe Humphreys is only 18.

I believe he was 19 last week, I only hope we can keep him as I think he will be a premier league player one day hopefully with Town.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:07 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:50 pm

I believe he was 19 last week
Its ok to not believe he’s 18….. if he’s 19. 🤔 :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:50 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:07 pm
Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:50 pm

I believe he was 19 last week
Its ok to not believe he’s 18….. if he’s 19. 🤔 :lol:
Well he was 18 on 29 October and 19 on his Birthday 30 October 2022. What would we do without Wikki 👍

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:41 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:27 am
hallamblue wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Fingers crossed eh 🤞
All we can do is keep winning. The fact is if we do that we go up automatically no matter what anyone else does. Inevitably, we’ll drop points here and there but so will others and we can match the other two over the season, I’m sure of it. Exeter’s fb site is full of praise for town - easily the best team they’ve played etc although I guess they’ve got a grudge against Plymouth!

But I too think Wednesday will be above Plymouth by the end. But they’re not infallible and if they lose Bannon through injury will be half the team. I did a bit of snooping around SW’s forum too, they arrogantly believe they’re going up as champions. We’ll see about that!
Well to be fair, a number of people on THIS forum are proclaiming that we will go up as champions, so I guess that's equally arrogant using your own logic :wink:

I see a lot of people are expecting Plymouth to fall away, and I'm not really sure why - they did exactly that last season and it's difficult to believe they won't have learned from that experience. Still, even at this stage it looks like there's 3 teams chasing 2 places, so whatever happens it's going to be interesting.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:15 pm

I don't believe its arrogant, I just believe we have the best squad and spending power in the division.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:02 am

Oh yes, I was wrong lol, glad to see the boys play well and grab that win, well deserved.

As mentioned before, if we can payback Plymouth in January then they will slip down into the playoffs, its surely going to be us and Sheff weds in the top two unless things go disasterously wrong.

The only thing that does slightly concern me are the injuries, we may need to address this come the transfer window unless the lads recover as planned, Midfield is getting a little depleted, need to keep up momentum.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:27 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:41 pm
JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:27 am
hallamblue wrote:

Fingers crossed eh 🤞

Well to be fair, a number of people on THIS forum are proclaiming that we will go up as champions, so I guess that's equally arrogant using your own logic :wink:

I see a lot of people are expecting Plymouth to fall away, and I'm not really sure why - they did exactly that last season and it's difficult to believe they won't have learned from that experience. Still, even at this stage it looks like there's 3 teams chasing 2 places, so whatever happens it's going to be interesting.
I guess the difference is on Owlstalk there’s a whole thread where everyone says ‘we’re going to win this league’ and not one mention of their competitors. The talk on here is more circumspect and mostly we acknowledge that SW and Plymouth are pretty good teams in this league.

Like a few others, I think it’ll be us and SW who go up automatically while Plymouth fall away but the season will be made up of fine margins, so who can say who’ll win it? And really if we go up, everything else is just a bonus

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:35 pm

So one stat that shocked me at the weekend is the fact we've scored more goals from corners this season than any other club in League One, five at present, quite remarkable.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:44 pm

That has surprised me Mike,can all be down to young Davis, certainly is a good crossed of the ball and has come on well after his rather jet-lagged start lol.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:11 pm

He is definitely instrumental in most of them for sure,Ci just think some of the issues we as fans have are in fact fallacies tbh.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:35 pm
So one stat that shocked me at the weekend is the fact we've scored more goals from corners this season than any other club in League One, five at present, quite remarkable.
That’s probably why we’re all in League One Mike.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:21 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:18 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:35 pm
That’s probably why we’re all in League One Mike.
:lol: thats true

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:47 pm

Point being we are better at it than All our rivals despite our fan base proclaims to be crap at scoring from set pieces.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:47 pm
Point being we are better at it than All our rivals despite our fan base proclaims to be crap at scoring from set pieces.
Probably the same people who were screaming about our defence while we had conceded the least goals in the league...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:44 pm

But we all know who they are, and it’s good for discussion. If we all had the same opinion the forum would be pointless.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:02 pm

Just wondering where the Norfolk pr*ck is after Saturday’s win.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:02 pm
Just wondering where the Norfolk pr*ck is after Saturday’s win.
I'm here :lol: .....Oh, not me! :wink: