World Cup 2022?!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

rossi

Re: World Cup 2022?!

Post by rossi » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:02 pm

Well I'm in the fortunate position of having been able to watch every game (though obviously I'm having to choose the final group games or flick between the 2). It's been a lot better than I expected, and the good thing is that I have not yet seen one stand-out team - any one from 5 or 6 could win it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:10 pm

But the stats on chances etc are nowhere near as good as Town's from any team ? :wink:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:13 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:02 am
Used properly VAR should make all the right decisions and eliminate the wrong ones. Sadly as soon as it gets interpreted by human intervention again in creeps the errors as we’ve seen particularly in the early stages of the WC.

This WC is certainly beginning to look very interesting and entertaining and from what I’m hearing from some of the fans very enjoyable too minus the p*ss head hooligan element causing trouble which was one of the original attractions of me planning to go.

Just a shame about all the politics and other stuff that’s got in the way thanks to FIFA’s master blunder.
Absolutely nail on head there. I have enjoyed most of what I have seen so far. I chose to think just of the tournament alone and I feel it has been entertaining enough, albeit with the modern day game throwing up this "fear of losing" phenomenon. There have been a few shocks, mainly by teams who really have nothing to lose - Morocco possibly being the shining example.

While in the early stages there has been a distinct lack of crowd atmosphere, things appear to be picking up. Perhaps lack of alcohol has been behind that, but it has been a joy that we are not hearing the usual tales of fights, thuggery and places being smashed up.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:10 pm
But the stats on chances etc are nowhere near as good as Town's from any team ? :wink:
chances created? probably not.

conversion rate? much higher I think :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:27 pm

That could mean the defences are poorer in the world cup than L1, how bad is that lol 😆

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:36 pm

Trouble with last game group matches, teams that have already qualified just don't seem to try. However feel personally got to give credit to the Nips. To procure not one, but two outstanding scores and victory against world heavweight oppostion is highly commendable. It's been a competition for the underdog thus far but these kind of nations will invariably fall by the wayside as action reaches it's latter stages.

To see not only Italy but Germany now also not feature in a World Cup at the elimination stages is something bizarre. Neutrals will be loving it but it goes against all tradition. The integrity of the tournament name were tarnished before a ball was kicked in anger, guess it just adds to the (unevent, or however you can describe it)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:47 pm

Wow what an afternoon of drama and shock results today, surely one the most dramatic days of the Tournament so far. On 90 mins Uruguay looked safely through leading 2-0 v Ghana with South Korea bottom of the group and heading home despite holding Portugal to a draw.
Then from nowhere S Korea score a fabulous injury time goal to jump above Uruguay on goals scored leaving Uruguay need to score in their 8 mins added time remaining. Ghana also new they could qualify if they scored 2. If you haven’t seen the highlights try to find them. I suspect the Uruguay manager will be feeling pretty sick needing a late goal with both Suarez and Nunez both having been subbed off although to be fair neither had excelled.

Definitely another very good day for the World Cup and some great surprises still in the Tournament not least, South Korea, Japan, Australia, Poland, Morocco and Senegal. All great examples for those who think certain teams are unbeatable.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:19 pm

Lionel Messi plays his 1,000th career game and captains Argentina for 100th time And scores the opening goal on 35 mins to lead thd Aussies 1-0.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:04 am

Wow, what a performance that was last night from England, definitely one to shut up the critics of Southgate and his selection of Jordan Henderson. Yes of course we still had to endure 30 mins of the slow boring pass the ball around size up the opposition stuff that seems part of the modern game, but what followed was fabulous. Forget Captain Kane, Henderson led that performance from start to finish and used every ounce of his experience to drive and motivate those around him. With the flair of Jude Bellingham beside him and protection of Declan Rice behind him he was able to drive forward into areas rarely ventured as was the case for the opening goal which ended a perfect move. Three goals from four shots on target, finishing doesn’t get more clinical than that, if only Town could do the same.

No surprise the England critics are quiet this morning, GS seems to have definitely got that right last night.

A good performance yesterday from France too although they looked vulnerable at the back and could easily have conceded more than one goal lines everything up nicely for next weekends England v France QF. This is where most predicted our World Cup journey would end, and after watching Kylian Mbappe’s stunning performance yesterday they may well be right.

I for one can’t wait, bring it on.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:47 am

I think in Jude Bellingham there is a world star evolving

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:14 pm

Yes, Jude Bellingham is already a hugely impressive player. If he continues to develop he will undoubtedly be world class very soon.

I'll admit to never having understood the criticism of Southgate. England look very strong at the moment.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:28 pm

Whats with Hendersons bobbly heid? Stop that Jordan……. You look like a feckin ersehole.

For you guys on here ALONE, wouldn’t bother if England done something historic.

But…….

Jaysus fkn H Christ…… I can understand the “need” for you to fail. Usually like the BBC R2 breakfast show…….. had to switch to local radio. It was like you’d won the feckin thing! Jeez man.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:34 pm

We haven't really played anyone yet and even Senegal could have been Two up before we scored, we did play some decent stuff after that. I do however see France being too strong for our iffy defence

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:34 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:14 pm
Yes, Jude Bellingham is already a hugely impressive player. If he continues to develop he will undoubtedly be world class very soon.

I'll admit to never having understood the criticism of Southgate. England look very strong at the moment.

Gareth Southgate is certainly a fantastic tournament manager with a tournament track record second to none for an England manager. I guess his demeanour and sometimes boring approach to less important experimental games leaves him wide open to criticism, but just like McKenna at Portman Road, he’s the expert, wtf do we know.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:37 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:28 pm
Whats with Hendersons bobbly heid? Stop that Jordan……. You look like a feckin ersehole.

But…….

Jaysus fkn H Christ…… I can understand the “need” for you to fail. Usually like the BBC R2 breakfast show…….. had to switch to local radio. It was like you’d won the feckin thing! Jeez man.

WTF do you know about winning anything up there Marko. 🤣🤣🤣

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:38 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:34 pm
We haven't really played anyone yet and even Senegal could have been Two up before we scored, we did play some decent stuff after that. I do however see France being too strong for our iffy defence

You’re beginning to sound like Liz 🤣🤣🤣

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:48 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:37 pm
marko69 wrote:

But…….

We know , that we will never know, anything at all about winning……….

But we ABSOLUTELY FKN KNOOOOWWWWW about you lot winning!! 🤦‍♂️

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:50 pm

Might even tune in to vs France……… but JH bobbles that head…….. telly off!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:

….. and neither have France who apart from out of form Denmark have met all lowly ranked opponents. England against stronger opposition are undefeated, scored more goals and conceded fewer. We couldn’t actually go into this fixture in better shape and and anyone who watched France yesterday will know they were closer to going behind before they scored than England were against Senegal.

The key to the QF will be if we can stop world class strike Mbappe. If we can the game is winnable, if we don’t he can win it on his own.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:06 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:48 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:37 pm
marko69 wrote:

But…….

We know , that we will never know, anything at all about winning……….

But we ABSOLUTELY FKN KNOOOOWWWWW about you lot winning!! 🤦‍♂️

It works both ways Marko….I was at Wembley in 1967 for one of Scotland’s most famous footballing victories when you guys won 3-2 and became the first side to beat England for 20 games. Anyone would have thought you’d taken the World Cup away from us.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:08 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:50 pm
Might even tune in to vs France……… but JH bobbles that head…….. telly off!

Leave my mate alone he’s one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:29 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:38 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Impossible LOL.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:29 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

Impossible LOL.

👍🤣

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:45 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:06 pm
Anyone would have thought you’d taken the World Cup away from us.
EH??? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ We did though. We were the unofficial World Champions. Thats an absolute dyed in the wool fact! 👌👍👏👏👏🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 :D

You a pal of JH? No doubt at all he’s a very nice guy……. But ask him why he’s head bobbling. Like Kenny Miller in the ‘16 Cup Final when the current buns went 2-1 up…….. that didn’t end well. Snooker player Neil Robertson; notorious head bobbler when in front. Then notoriously huffy when it goes wrong. 🤦‍♂️ :lol:

SERIOUSLY though……. You reckon it’ll be 90 or 120mins England win? Or pens?
Or France Semi v Morocco?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:06 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:00 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:29 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Impossible LOL.

👍🤣
Oi you two !!! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:28 pm

Just for laughs…….. :lol:

https://www.ufwc.co.uk/

We are miles in front! Of everyone……. You lot, Argentina, Brazil…… :lol:

A nation of “bottlers” when it matters!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:53 pm

Wales f*cked up big time. Other than a second-half where caused us problems and got a result late on, they were sh*t for the most part. Would have wanted them to do something, make a name for themselves etc but seems often as if they just didn't want to be there. All those years and wait and they fell on their as*. It's a real shame.

Caught the Netherlands game. In all probability won't get to witness another World Cup 'event' and even though (right now) it's a goddamn nuisance that gets in the way of more important objective, got to say the team can be proud in themselves. We weren't going to win it but made an impression and went out with heads held up. Not the first time either, got to take pride in what the team did out there last few days.

Japs out just now, lose to a Croatian team following a shoot-out. They did great, wins over Germany / Spain, it were amazing. Croats made the Final last time out but seem to struggle this time around. That's what you need though, bigger teams through. f*ck romance and glamour, just leaves a mess when heavweight names go out early.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:09 pm

My tournament favourites 1-0 up inside 7mins 👍

2-0 four mins later (although I don’t think it was a penalty tbh - the Brazilian player came from behind the Korean as he was about to clear it) how can it be a penalty ? 🤷‍♀️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:29 pm

Oh WHAT. A 3rd goal … Brazil at their very best . Bloody awesome !!!’

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:36 pm

Four 👍👍 they just keep getting better and better these goals ….

Well, how that’s not double figures at half time I’ll never know.

Can’t wait gif the second half. It’s Lovely to see a team truly attacking!