World Cup 2022?!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

AzzurroMark

Re: World Cup 2022?!

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:28 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:57 pm
Not sure who I’d have preferred in the Knockout stages tbh, Senegal or Netherlands ….. 🤷‍♀️
If we get past that then there's the likely prospect of facing France in the QF. I think Argentina will beat Poland and therefore top that group, meaning that the Poles are likely to play the French.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:44 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:28 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:57 pm
Not sure who I’d have preferred in the Knockout stages tbh, Senegal or Netherlands ….. 🤷‍♀️
If we get past that then there's the likely prospect of facing France in the QF. I think Argentina will beat Poland and therefore top that group, meaning that the Poles are likely to play the French.
If we reach the quarters and face France then I think it will be Au revoir for England. Tbh it would not surprise me if Senegal turned us over.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:02 pm

VAR :shock:
Full time whistle sounds, Tunisian fans, despite not qualifying, in tears. Then pictures of the ref in conversation, goes over to the VAR screen and promptly disallows the French equaliser and we are back in play again! The second final whistle goes; cue delirium amongst the Tunisian fans, in truth, who can blame them
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:02 pm

A dead rubber for them perhaps, but if Tunisia can beat them, then there's a slim chance England can.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:03 pm

Oh and VAR is a rediculous joke, as nice as it was to see on this occasion.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:04 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:02 pm
A dead rubber for them perhaps, but if Tunisia can beat them, then there's a slim chance England can.
Agreed, even with 9 changes to the French side surely they should have enough depth to beat Tunisia?

Heff119

Post by Heff119 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:27 pm

aussies get thru absolute scenes!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:21 pm

VAR is an absolute f**king joke and anyone who thinks differently is nuts in my opinion, it's ruining the bloody game, I hope to christ Town NEVER end up in a league that uses VAR.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:39 pm

Is it just me, or is the game predominantly played in your own half now? It’s like watching Town play, watching this World Cup. The “ attacking” team plays the ball around, 2 passes forward followed by 4 back or across the back line. No one seems to actually attack the opposition anymore. It’s almost bloody boring .

Eg: Argentina just had the ball on the edge of Poland’s box … only to pass it all the way back into their own bloody half 🤷‍♀️

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:10 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:39 pm
Is it just me, or is the game predominantly played in your own half now? It’s like watching Town play, watching this World Cup. The “ attacking” team plays the ball around, 2 passes forward followed by 4 back or across the back line. No one seems to actually attack the opposition anymore. It’s almost bloody boring .

Eg: Argentina just had the ball on the edge of Poland’s box … only to pass it all the way back into their own bloody half 🤷‍♀️
I think it’s more about possession and defending a lead. I’m sure the analytics prove it’s harder for opponents to score if they don’t have the ball. Now if you’re using those tactics, you better be ahead or else it will bite you. Hmmm…who does that bring to mind?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:35 pm

So essentially, the tactic is s negative one .
Eg Must not lose… not…. Must win .

At Town now we hear “ the need to be patient” … it’s hard to watch sometimes . I have no idea how we top the shots on goal , and goals for vs against etc coz it doesn’t “ feel” like that. We seem to take 50 passes around opponents box when 3 or 4 more direct ones or earlier crosses etc might have much more reward. But I’m see this approach in this World Cup. You rarely seeing teams really “have a go” …. It’s just an observation snd a comparison which came to mind when watching these WC games ….

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:48 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:39 pm

Unfortunately it's the modern game Liz - a sterile negative approach that is designed first and foremost not to lose the game.
Too many modern managers are over-thinking and instructing their teams to overplay.
I have to say that I don't enjoy watching football now nearly as much as I enjoyed it when I was younger, and that's totally down to the approach being employed - in my opinion the tactics now are not merely 'almost bloody boring', they're totally bloody boring.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:47 am

Have to say Gary, I’m of the same opinion. Ultimately it all boils down to money . Losing isn’t an option, and promotion is largely about money and the ultimate payday is obviously the Premier League / Champions League. Not the same anymore is it…..

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:39 pm

And yet I am finding Town 50 times more enjoyable and attractive than I have for decades, the days of one shot in 90 minutes replaced by 30 shots, surely it can't be that negative ?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:26 pm

Finding now, Every time a goal's scored you expect some miserable son of a bitch to halt proceeding, take two or three minutes to question it / chalk it off / run to edge of play and view monitors to check for violations or any infringement to invalidate it. Caught some action from the end of France vs Tunisia and the events when the Frogs had their goal ruled at the end. Took a moment to wonder what the hell was going on. Just seemed a bunch of amateurs making a mess of things. All this to go with a competition held in the wrong place and wrong time of year. You can be excused for losing interest.

All that sh*t aside, the "tournament" is progressing as it should. Big nations making it through, the relief when Argentina not only made it, but played exceptionally well and re-established themselves as one of the favorites to win it outright were tangible. Spain and Germany should, or will, follow along in a few hours. For all it's faults thus far, there are areas of excitement and interest, but other factors continue to get in the way and sour things considerably. Mexico didn't deserve an elimination, they played real well yesterday but one lousy opposition goal make all their work count for nothing.

Pleased for Australia, seriously. Who would have thought it. There is a chance they can make the last eight against an average Netherlands team who in all truth, haven't lived up to expectation. Hope the Dutch make it though, romance aside it'll be better in the long run for the final stages.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:21 pm

Poland did not deserve to go through and I was really looking forward to some nice camera shots of the Poles crying (and to shut the locals up), bad sadly it was not to be, all thanks to the lazy Argies, they could of easily banged a couple more in but chose to ease right of the gas, slackers.

I have had to console my little Chihuahua, she is gutted Mexico were knocked out, I could try and translate the high pitched yaps she said but this is a family forum and would be a bit too blue lol.

Looking forward to the Senegal match and could be a potential banana skin if we do not turn up, hopefully we will play like we did against Iran and Wales and should be a win, thought Foden and Rashford had a big impact and glad they swapped over at half time, think they should start again, having Saka and Sterling as their potential subs things are looking positive.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:37 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:21 pm
I have had to console my little Chihuahua, .
Your dog I take it and not a Euphemism? :lol: :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:54 pm

Award for most disappointing team of the tournament so far? Belgium?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:39 pm
And yet I am finding Town 50 times more enjoyable and attractive than I have for decades, the days of one shot in 90 minutes replaced by 30 shots, surely it can't be that negative ?
But that’s the point ( for me anyway), it never feels like we’ve had that many shots. Is this shots stat, of any shot, whether it hits the corner post or row Z or just the shots where the keeper is forced to make a save? Because when I watch us, it’s nice passing football. Sometimes sublime interchanges of passing, but often no end product, and for me anyway, we almost try to score the “perfect goal”, by trying to pass our way through a defence. When sometimes a speculative shot or change of pace in attack might just unlock opponents.

I’m honestly not trying to be negative about us . We’re 2nd! But we struggle to break teams down at PR and gift soft goals, and in my humble opinion seem to over pass and have very high possession stats . That in itself doesn’t win you games - goals do! This has gone on for bloody years now. How many games st PR have we watched just this season snd come away saying , “ how the hell have we not won that”? … or “how they hell have got a point, or all three, we were all over them.”( Cheltenham , Lincoln , Barnsley ) We’re not clinical enough (for the possession stats we have).

It’s really fine margins at the top, and we did have a 5 point cushion between us and SWFC/ now it’s 1point. We keep slipping up - they don’t.

I hope what I’m trying to say makes sense.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:10 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:54 pm
Award for most disappointing team of the tournament so far? Belgium?
That’s the problem when you have a poor team spirt and a manager who turns a blind eye to it. Courtois and De Bruyne haven’t spoken for years since the keeper was caught shagging his then girlfriend and four others all dislike playing together and simply don’t get on. Maybe nothing more than rumours but usually there’s no smoke without fire. Perhaps it’s nothing more than time to replace an ageing squad with some younger blood.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:04 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:25 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:39 pm
But that’s the point ( for me anyway), it never feels like we’ve had that many shots. Is this shots stat, of any shot, whether it hits the corner post or row Z or just the shots where the keeper is forced to make a save? Because when I watch us, it’s nice passing football. Sometimes sublime interchanges of passing, but often no end product, and for me anyway, we almost try to score the “perfect goal”, by trying to pass our way through a defence. When sometimes a speculative shot or change of pace in attack might just unlock opponents.

I’m honestly not trying to be negative about us . We’re 2nd! But we struggle to break teams down at PR and gift soft goals, and in my humble opinion seem to over pass and have very high possession stats . That in itself doesn’t win you games - goals do! This has gone on for bloody years now. How many games st PR have we watched just this season snd come away saying , “ how the hell have we not won that”? … or “how they hell have got a point, or all three, we were all over them.”( Cheltenham , Lincoln , Barnsley ) We’re not clinical enough (for the possession stats we have).

It’s really fine margins at the top, and we did have a 5 point cushion between us and SWFC/ now it’s 1point. We keep slipping up - they don’t.

I hope what I’m trying to say makes sense.
Struggling to break a team down is when you don't create openings and chances, our issue on a couple of occasions was we couldn't finish, we opened Lincoln and Cheltenham up at will, poor finishing and a bit of bad luck, and as for Barnsley, come on, we all know Harness was robbed of a perfectly good goal that makes it 3-1, personally I think we create scores of chances now.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:41 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:04 am
[Struggling to break a team down is when you don't create openings and chances, our issue on a couple of occasions was we couldn't finish, we opened Lincoln and Cheltenham up at will, poor finishing and a bit of bad luck, and as for Barnsley, come on, we all know Harness was robbed of a perfectly good goal that makes it 3-1, personally I think we create scores of chances now.
I agree with Liz when she says that is hardly ever feels like we have had many shots in a game even if the stats say different.

I know that if a team is leading 5-0 then its supporters want 6, but they would go home well satisfied nonetheless - too often when I watch Town I go home less than satisfied.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:55 am

Well, we all see it differently dont we. That’s the beauty of the game. But we do all want the same thing, promotion. So Let’s hope n pray it happens. 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:57 am

Yes we do, but the official stats say we are first in nearly all of them, that will do for me.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:03 am

We just need to make these stats “count” in terms of actual goals . Be more clinical in our finishing. I’m hoping ( praying ) that Ahadme will offer something different for opposing defences to think about.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:51 am

Going back to the world cup, wow what a surprising set of results last night. Was thinking of the fine margins, if not for VAR, that Japanese ball would've been called out, meaning Germany would've gone through in their place.
Also look at it the other way; had that ball "gone across the line" between the posts, what to the naked eye would've looked a clear goal would have been ruled out by the narrowest of margins by VAR.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:02 am

Used properly VAR should make all the right decisions and eliminate the wrong ones. Sadly as soon as it gets interpreted by human intervention again in creeps the errors as we’ve seen particularly in the early stages of the WC.

This WC is certainly beginning to look very interesting and entertaining and from what I’m hearing from some of the fans very enjoyable too minus the p*ss head hooligan element causing trouble which was one of the original attractions of me planning to go.

Just a shame about all the politics and other stuff that’s got in the way thanks to FIFA’s master blunder.

IF we can beat Senegal and it is a big IF, we all know anything can happen in a Semi Final so we could be in for a big surprise.
Senegal will come at us with speed and purpose and try to knock us out of our stride, our only chance will be to slow the game down to the pace we want to play and with the patience that many don’t like. I’m sticking my head out and predicting a win to England by the narrowest of margins 2-1.

After Tuesday nights game it will also be an interesting starting line up, but for me has to include Phil Foden.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:37 am

Still finding it hard to get interested in this World Cup and haven't watched too many games. Perhaps it is because Town are still playing during it and tbh for me their results are far more important at this moment in time.
Glad to see that some of the so-called underdogs are causing upsets though.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:01 am

I must admit I've tried to get into it but it's not happening, be glad when it's over.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:16 pm

I decided I would not watch any of the games but because of nothing much else on TV I did watch the last 20 minutes of the Portugal game and most of the second half of the England game but I'm not that interested and I will also be glad when it's over.