World Cup 2022?!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: World Cup 2022?!

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:29 pm

Yes, maybe it is going to be a farce. The “laws” have started already. Jaysus H 🤦‍♂️

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... 528912.amp

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:46 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:29 pm
Yes, maybe it is going to be a farce. The “laws” have started already. Jaysus H 🤦‍♂️

I actually fear for the fans attending. Please be careful if you or anyone you know is going.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:14 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:46 pm
marko69 wrote:

I actually fear for the fans attending. Please be careful if you or anyone you know is going.
Yep......, could be a few heading to jail for 15+ years.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:21 pm

Can you imagine getting a life sentence in prison for urinating in public? Not that it’s right, but come on! And what about the young lassy who has one too many gin & tonics & flashes her tits! Off to the chopping block I’m sure!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:36 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:21 pm
Can you imagine getting a life sentence in prison for urinating in public? Not that it’s right, but come on! And what about the young lassy who has one too many gin & tonics & flashes her tits! Off to the chopping block I’m sure!
So if you get your hands lopped off for stealing, what would she lose??

Yeah it's a mess, I don't know what to think. Luckily I'm busy this year, so will only get to watch bits anyway. As said earlier, it's like celebrating Xmas in June, not sure how it's all going to go.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:19 pm

number 9 wrote:
I was more talking about being a tad drunk in the street.
People pissing in the street can get locked up in Edinburgh as well as far as im concerned.
YES…… ive done it……. But ONLY at Tynecastle!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:37 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:19 pm
number 9 wrote:
People pissing in the street can get locked up in Edinburgh as well as far as im concerned.
I’ve done it too, but not lately. Still don’t think you should be locked up for it unless you’re a repeat offender. Nope, just a slap on the Willy and be on your way.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:42 pm

I probably should have been locked up for peeing on the Queen Victoria statue on the Woodbridge town square, but that was after I placed a traffic cone on her head. Yes, I’m not proud of my youth. :cry:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:59 pm

Six Laws Footie Fans Could Easily Get in Trouble With, 6 more reasons why the World Cup shouldn’t be played in Qatar, and we haven’t even mentioned exploitation and human rights issues.

The FIFA World Cup will kick off in Qatar on November 20th, 2022 – the very first time the event has been held in the Middle East. A Legal expert from The University of Law has been looking at the six law British citizens could break when they make the journey to support the National team.

Undoubtedly the largest event in the footballing calendar, the decision to hold the World Cup in Qatar has sparked controversy, with the event even being held during the winter rather than the summer so that players can cope with the extreme temperatures.

The Muslim country is known for having stricter laws than the UK and Aruna Verma, Programme and Student Lead, at The University of Law explains the rules that Britons travelling for the World Cup should be careful not to break.

1. Alcohol

In Qatar, not only is it important to note that the legal drinking age is 21 but alcohol is only available to be purchased at licenced hotel restaurants and bars. While it remains legal for tourists and non-Muslims to drink in private, drinking to the point of intoxication and drinking in public spaces are punishable by law.

Aruna Verma explained “Drinking in public places in Qatar could result in a prison sentence of up to 6 months or a fine of nearly £700. It is also illegal to import alcohol into the country so avoid buying anything in duty-free or it will get confiscated, and you could be arrested.

2. Drugs

Like the UK, Qatar has a zero-tolerance policy for drugs-related offences and the penalties are severe for even the smallest amount. Even carrying common prescription drugs can be a criminal offence including Codeine, Xanax and Diazepam.

Aruna Verma said: “If you need to take prescription medicine away with you, make sure you have your prescription on hand or a letter from your GP detailing the drug, quantity and dosage to avoid legal complications. In Qatar, punishment for drugs related offences can include fines, deportation and even the death penalty.”

3. Smoking and vaping

Laws in Qatar do not allow for the sale, purchase or importation of e–cigarettes, vape, liquids or related products. Airport securities are likely to confiscate any of these items should they find them in your luggage, so it is best to avoid them altogether.

Aruna Verma added: “The ban on vapes came into action in 2014 and punishment for the sale, purchase or even advertisement of the product can range from £2,000 fines to several months in prison.”

4. Offensive behaviour

Brits travelling to Qatar should be cautious of laws around profanities, as swearing and making rude gestures can actually result in a jail sentence or even deportation.

Aruna Verma said: “Not only should you avoid bad language when out in public but, in Qatar, simply pointing your finger at someone can also be seen as insulting, so you should probably avoid this as to not upset anyone.”

5. Dress Codes

Qatar has some strict dress codes as a religious country that tourists should follow. When in public and even while driving, you should dress modestly.

Aruna Verma explained: “Men and women are advised not to wear shorts or sleeveless tops when visiting shopping centres, health care facilities or government buildings. Women should also cover their shoulders and avoid short skirts in general.”

6. Relationships

Like many Muslim countries, relationships are considered a private matter in Qatar.

Aruna Verma added: “For anyone in a romantic relationship, signs of intimacy can be considered an offence and should be avoided. Any homosexual relations are also regarded as illegal in Qatar, while non-married couples are not allowed to share a bed or have sex. While the administration for the Qatari World Cup has publicly confirmed that no restrictions on non-married friends or couples staying in the same room will be imposed (as cited on the UK Government’s travel advice), legal rights and protections for LGBTQ+ fans remain widely debated in the run up to the tournament.”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:12 pm

Possible reason why Ivan Toney didn’t get picked?

https://twitter.com/Football__Tweet/sta ... 4004026369

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:25 pm

Thanks for that, Charny. I was beginning to think some people thought I was being racist. Can you even imagine how many homosexuals play in the Premier league? I can only imagine they’re are leaving their partners behind. Yep exactly right as far as alcohol in Hotels etc. I was stationed in Bahrain and that was the only place to get alcohol. And we are talking about English fans, who unfortunately have a small contingent of folks looking forward to drinking it up and causing violence. I can see the headline now, English fans swatted with canes and taken into custody in Qatar.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:53 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:12 pm

I can’t open this Liz but I guess it’s something to do with betting ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:01 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:25 pm
And we are talking about English fans, who unfortunately have a small contingent of folks looking forward to drinking it up and causing violence. I can see the headline now, English fans swatted with canes and taken into custody in Qatar.
Well even though the vast majority (as always) are proper football fans......, there will be the billy big baw types travelling there who will be out to "see how far they can go" ...., you can just envisage them; meathead types, spiders webs and Leeds badges on their skin. It will definitely be interesting to see how it pans out.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:09 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:09 pm
Andym wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:58 am
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:32 am

Too much money involved it will never happen. If ever there was going to be a boycott it should have been done immediately after the announcement.
I agree. If countries had boycotted immediately there was the possibility of an alternative competition being launched.
It did set me wondering about the competition as a whole. Presumably countries have to choose to enter; and presumably that is after the venue is chosen. So all it needed would have been a number of major countries announcing they would not be entering.

Even worse, because of the competition, the Peterborough match has been brought forward to a 12:30 kick off. I'm travelling back from Southampton that day and probably won't make it in time. Going away for two weeks thinking I'd miss a match, now (with the cup games) I'll miss 4. Hey ho.
There’s always the ifollow option Andy.
If I can get Wi-Fi on a cruise ship!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:11 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:01 am
number 9 wrote:
And we are talking about English fans, who unfortunately have a small contingent of folks looking forward to drinking it up and causing violence. I can see the headline now, English fans swatted with canes and taken into custody in Qatar.
Well even though the vast majority (as always) are proper football fans......, there will be the billy big baw types travelling there who will be out to "see how far they can go" ...., you can just envisage them; meathead types, spiders webs and Leeds badges on their skin. It will definitely be interesting to see how it pans out.

…. and that Marko is exactly why we’d planned to stay on a cruise ship. That was until we realised how big the ship was and how many others would be on it with us. TBH whilst it would have been my first ever World Cup and I would have loved watching the footie, I’ll enjoy it just as much watching on the telly and save a fortune.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:13 am

Andym wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:09 am
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:09 pm
Andym wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:58 am

I agree. If countries had boycotted immediately there was the possibility of an alternative competition being launched.
It did set me wondering about the competition as a whole. Presumably countries have to choose to enter; and presumably that is after the venue is chosen. So all it needed would have been a number of major countries announcing they would not be entering.

Even worse, because of the competition, the Peterborough match has been brought forward to a 12:30 kick off. I'm travelling back from Southampton that day and probably won't make it in time. Going away for two weeks thinking I'd miss a match, now (with the cup games) I'll miss 4. Hey ho.
There’s always the ifollow option Andy.
If I can get Wi-Fi on a cruise ship!
You can on most but probably not with enough speed to stream a footie match. Maybe you’ll be missing 4 games.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:21 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:37 pm
marko69 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:19 pm
number 9 wrote:
I’ve done it too, but not lately. Still don’t think you should be locked up for it unless you’re a repeat offender. Nope, just a slap on the Willy and be on your way.
Ah, but when you’ve had prostate cancer, there are times when you’ve just got to pee wherever you are !

Returning to the thread, there was a Tory Minister (non idea who, they are all pretty faceless) who said that fans going should be aware of their rules and follow them. I thought this was a total cop-out. But with hindsight he was right. The cop-out was by FIFA who should have refused the bribes and realised how the venue was totally unsuitable on just about every level - human rights, no footballing tradition, temperature, time of year…..

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:25 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:11 am
marko69 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:01 am
number 9 wrote:

…. and that Marko is exactly why we’d planned to stay on a cruise ship. That was until we realised how big the ship was and how many others would be on it with us. TBH whilst it would have been my first ever World Cup and I would have loved watching the footie, I’ll enjoy it just as much watching on the telly and save a fortune.
Holy shoot, yep....., much better on the telly, & saving the dosh. Thankfully, both myself & the Mrs wouldn't thank anyone for a "cruise ship" trip
. Just does not appeal at all. No fear attached, (we can both swim & never even seen Titanic :lol: ) ...., but the thought of being out at sea with other people and you can't get off the thing....., no chance.

Really am looking forward to England v Iran though. Bringing back good memories of Argentina 78 when all the uncles had bets on that Scotland would pump them 4-0 or 5-0........, 1-1 draw. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:27 am

Andym wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:21 am
The cop-out was by FIFA who should have refused the bribes......
FIFA..... the organisation...... were found not guilty in a court of law based on a rigorous FBI investigation. And Sepp Blatter, however much of a bumbling tw@t some people think he is......., NO WAY he takes part in that 4 hour in depth scrutiny of a Netflix documentary if he's guilty. Several others, (who declined to be interviewed) ---->> all guilty.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:23 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:53 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Yes , how did you know!! Lol

The FA charged Ivan Toney with 232 separate breaches of their betting rules. 👀

A Lengthy ban awaits him, if proven, I suspect .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:04 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:14 pm
number 9 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:46 pm
marko69 wrote:

Yep......, could be a few heading to jail for 15+ years.
Not sure that's such a bad thing.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:02 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:04 am
Not sure that's such a bad thing.
:lol: Yes, no doubt you’re spot on there.

But….. 2016 completely changed my views on football reporting by the tv media. They are absolutely corrupt……. To get the story.
Hibs FC dragged through the mill after “pitch invasion” …… an invasion by 99% of emotionally wrecked fans, crying their eyes out after the 114 year drought, ——->>> and about 30 arseholes who wanted to fight. BBC SCOTLAND focus on them.
Media brandish the club, “An Embarrassment”

And due to that, I view England much differently. The 1% of fans, (and the 1% of germans no doubt) FEED the “press propaganda machine” ……. And then England are “an embarrassment”.

Nope…… vast majority will be families just trying to watch some football.

Tattooed meatheads going to jail would no doubt be a good thing for the clubs they apparently support also…… if the truth were known! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:50 am

Definitely is the minority yes, but that minority cause the kind of scenes we have witnessed many times over when England play a tournament. Hopefully that minority get their hands cut off and 15 years in prison.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:28 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:23 am
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:53 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Yes , how did you know!! Lol

The FA charged Ivan Toney with 232 separate breaches of their betting rules. 👀

A Lengthy ban awaits him, if proven, I suspect .

I had no idea of the numbers involved or type of betting, eg on his own team or sport ? …… but I must have recently read or heard his name linked to betting somewhere Liz, as it was the first and only thing that came to my mind.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:57 am

As a football fan it is my dream to go to a World Cup BUT even if I won an all expensive paid trip to Qatar I wouldn't go. I said as soon as they were awarded it that all national teams should have boycotted it there and then. Their human rights records is just appalling, they treat there migrant workers worse than they treat animals AND as for the LGBTQ+ etc record, it doesn't need me to say how bad that it. As to the alcohol thing, that shouldn't even be an issue. If that's their rules then people going should abide by it (not that they don't bugger off to Bahrain frequently to get pissed up because Allah can't see across the causeway apparently according to various sources (including my hubby whos ex RAF) who have spent time their anyway!)

I was getting a bit sick of all the pre-tournament hand wringing by all the teams too. If they felt that strongly then they should just put their money where their mouths were and not gone but they didn't!

A lot of the middle eastern countries are using sport (and money) to take the heat off their human rights etc and its about time the all these sports start took a stand but they won't as the almight pound/dollar always wins out. Shame on them!

As to England, they are a bit sh*t anyway so won't go far and the sooner they are home the better really! This is one World Cup I don't care about us trying to win it! I will watch the England & Wales games but that is about it,

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:09 pm

The last England away game I went to was v Spain in Seville where once again a minority of fans (but still hundreds of them) caused absolute chaos in the city on the day of the match. Many of these “fans” had no match tickets or any intention of buying one, no accommodation and probably very little money given they mostly stole booze from local bars and supermarkets.

These “so called fans” won’t be in Qatar because they won’t be allowed into the country without booked accommodation and even the cheapest of the fans villages care expensive by most peoples standards. Beer at £12 a pint and your hand cut off if you get caught stealing it should keep the mindless morons a long way from Doha. Whilst it’s wrong that the World Cup is only accessible to those with substantial means it has probably always been the case because even match tickets have never been cheap. The difference with this World Cup is there will be no fan hangers on living rough for two weeks as a fun alternative to staying at home on the dole. The 1 million fans expected to arrive in Qatar will all be there for the football and will have spent decent money to be there. In my opinion this should make it one of the safest and friendliest football tournaments for a long time.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:28 pm

Spanish fan gone missing walking to the World Cup.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63414456.amp

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:30 pm

Probably drowned lol

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:23 pm

Probably jailed for that Saddam Hussein tat on his arm.

Seriously though…… hope he’s found safe & sound. 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:31 pm

You don't wish him any harm but how bloody stupid.