World Cup 2022?!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dazzz67

Re: World Cup 2022?!

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:52 pm

Oh yes Arana, I do hold genuine grudges for certain things and they fit nicely in that category. Sometimes I think I must have a little Scottish blood in me at times ( no offence Marko), I used to know a lad at work who still had a grudge against the English, for what I hear you cry, the battle of Culloden.

As Shed has said, either crying on TV is a win situation, it really is the lesser of two evils who gets the win, but La Frog'es are yet to beat Morocco, this could be a good night (or bad) depending on how you look at it.

I know a couple of lads at work who are Moroccan and I will be cheering them on, the air could turn a little 'blue' so im glad the mrs is out tonight lol.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:06 pm

My interest ended when Kane's penalty landed at Ochilview.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:06 pm
I heard that the crew in the international space station ducked.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:07 pm

For me personally re Scotland / England, I think of Braveheart the film. Hear me out……..

……. If the people that Mel is trying to re-enact in BH are accurately like “independant-ers” now…… then fk them……. They’re all arseholes.
Immensely proud of being Scottish and my roots etc etc but staying part of the Union (and the EU, but thats f*cked) is better for me & my business and my family.

“FREEDOM”
“Fk off, Mel.”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:06 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:20 pm
I heard that the crew in the international space station ducked.
:lol: 👍

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:15 pm

There was a Beckham one at Euro 2004, Portgual game knockout stage if memory serves. Made the Kane effort last weekend a non-event. Missed the goal by such distance were on an intercept course with Tenerife. Cost them the game if correct. How we enjoyed that.

Unfortunately did get one or target two years earlier in Japan / Korea. Recall to this day the (English) media just about masturbated themselves silly following the event, it were a done deal they'd (already) won the goddamn thing but far water under any bridge by this time.

Say one final time don't care who wins the other semi-final later today. Morocco in a final won't be much fun no matter how much neutrals / romantics wish it. Think we'll just let the chips fall as they may and allow the best team victory. It'll be a final of a World Cup, the biggest game on the biggest stage in the industry : it deserves two of the worlds undisputed best (names) fighting it out for such glamorous prize.

However, should say Napoleon, Joan of Arc, Vanessa Paradis and Pepe le Pew etc come unstuck, then hell, you can't give up a slight relief somewhere along the way.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:25 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:15 pm
However, should say Napoleon, Joan of Arc, Vanessa Paradis and Pepe le Pew etc come unstuck, then hell, you can't give up a slight relief somewhere along the way.
Agree……. Messi v Mbappe…… can only be this.

But re quoted part……… Joe Le Taxi for Saint! :D

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:14 pm

We had a very small predict the winner comp at my local watering hole when there were 4 teams left in it, I was the only one who went for Morocco. My unique powers of prediction will shortly be put to the test.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:13 pm

I just hate the Frogs and the Argies … 100years war, Fishing in our waters, allowing illegal immigrants to leave their shores for the UK despite stealing £ms from us to “ police” their boarders, sh*t f**king cheap golden delicious apples , murdering millions of frogs every year, speaking bloody French, stupid “effal tower” and wearing garlic /onions round their neck as an accessory and wearing Frank Spencer hats. Argies? Falklands war , tossas !

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:10 pm

^^^
Love it! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:51 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:13 pm
I just hate the Frogs and the Argies … 100years war, Fishing in our waters, allowing illegal immigrants to leave their shores for the UK despite stealing £ms from us to “ police” their boarders, sh*t f**king cheap golden delicious apples , murdering millions of frogs every year, speaking bloody French, stupid “effal tower” and wearing garlic /onions round their neck as an accessory and wearing Frank Spencer hats. Argies? Falklands war , tossas !
Lmfao, brilliant

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:53 am

Quit bringing up the Islas Malvinas issue. There were nearly three times as many Argentine casualties than British. It were an unfortunate time of events 40 years back, resentment still exists between nations or certain individuals but you can't alter or amend history. What occurred was regrettable, lives were lost, families broken, but right now am only looking at the soccer aspect of things, I got no need to allow politics into it.

That aside, thought Moroccans did mighty fine tonight. All right they lost the game as you'd expect but caused their opponents a number of worrying moments and have made something of a name for themselves. The right prevailed though as an Argentine / North Africa face-off would have been just out of place for a World Cup Final. It'll go ahead as intended.

The whole thing stared off something of a joke or debacle but got to admit, it's maybe been one of the best tournaments thus far. Arguably the number of surprises by small nations beating heavweight names was included more often this time than can remember in past / recent competition. Whoever wins on Sunday, whether you root for them or choose to sh*t on them, got to admit, (any victory) they would have earned it.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:11 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:53 am
Quit bringing up the Islas Malvinas issue. There were nearly three times as many Argentine casualties than British. It were an unfortunate time of events 40 years back, resentment still exists between nations or certain individuals but you can't alter or amend history. What occurred was regrettable, lives were lost, families broken, but right now am only looking at the soccer aspect of things, I got no need to allow politics into it.

That aside, thought Moroccans did mighty fine tonight. All right they lost the game as you'd expect but caused their opponents a number of worrying moments and have made something of a name for themselves. The right prevailed though as an Argentine / North Africa face-off would have been just out of place for a World Cup Final. It'll go ahead as intended.

The whole thing stared off something of a joke or debacle but got to admit, it's maybe been one of the best tournaments thus far. Arguably the number of surprises by small nations beating heavweight names was included more often this time than can remember in past / recent competition. Whoever wins on Sunday, whether you root for them or choose to sh*t on them, got to admit, (any victory) they would have earned it.
Of course there were - they started it and got what they deserved.
At least the British are not afraid of taking on nations bigger than themselves, as history has proved time and time again - not like the Americans who only ever pick a fight with nations smaller than themselves (think Hiroshima), yet when somebody like Putin invades Ukraine (and annexes Crimea) they just roll over and say "OK Mr Putin, sir, you do just as you please".

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:44 am

arana peligrosa wrote:

Regarding politics Saint Spider of the Inter Webs…… true ——>> no place in a soccer thread.

But the part highlighted. That isn’t even in the same vicinity of being anything like truth. Thats not even an opinion……. Its true. Compared to Italia 90 , USA 94, France 98, SA 2010, RIO 14……. doesnt even come anywhere near like close. No doubt some World Cups pre my birth were better than Qatar22 as well, …… not including 66! That was REALLY sh*t apparently.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:42 pm

I think we are trying to grasp at a few odd ok games, in truth it's been p*ss poor.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:00 pm

100% pi$$ poor

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:33 pm

Haven’t watched much of it so can’t really comment about the quality of games. As I have said on several occasions this World Cup has really not held much interest for me which is definitely a first. As for the final not even sure I will bother to watch it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:24 pm

A doctor friend of mine just got from the World Cup . He did 9 games (£250) a ticket :shock: . He said it was a very strange place and an atmosphere. Stadiums were usually half full .

They should never have been awarded it really, should they!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:10 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:

I am not keen on the French but would rather they won against the Argentine scum bags. They were animals in 66 According to Sir Alf, thats good enough for me. ARANA you must be gutted you did not follow the French in the World Cup as well? Because you basically followed every othe team...except the English of course who you love to see lose. So far you have followed USA, SPAIN & ARGENTINA.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:45 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:10 pm
…..except the English of course who you love to see lose…..
And? 🤷‍♂️ Whats your point? :lol:

Seriously though……. Cant speak for Spiderman but I’d wager he feels the same as myself. He’ll feel absolutely neither here nor there regarding Southgate & the players…….. he probably, (like me) quite likes them. Decent bunch of guys.
The MEDIA……. Rio F, Ian W, Danny M,……. Will be why he’ll be wanting them to lose. Its certainly where i find the entertainmemt. Same with Jimmy Hill back in 90. :lol: 1-0 up v Cameroon……. “Shut up shop, shut up shop” ….. 🤦‍♂️ :lol:
The media make you look like twats. No too sure about the welsh media.

The media here in Scotland just ask that we do not embarrass ourselves. Which we usually go ahead and do anyway. But we then get pished and have a laugh. 🍺🍺🍺

Ian Wright looked like he needed counselling the other night :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:17 am

Matter of fact do like to see them lose. No secret, no ambiguity on the issue. Let's have it right ain't no Anglophobe, in fact they've provided a great contribution to the world and got a history you can be proud of, but certain aspects often prove a little too belligerent.

Say again only highlighted the past week or two as being good in that one or two surprise names came up on the inside and looked as if they could make a Final i.e. Japan, Moroccans etc. Can't remember so many upsets and shock scores encompassed into the competition, at least not in recent time.

Someone mentioned Italy 1990 being a stellar tournament, seem to recall an abundance of fouls, player dismissals, teams playing not to lose once they reached the elimination stages. Least said about the Final the better. Only Pavarotti's Puccini renditions rose above what was essentially a real poor competition. It's all some remember it for in actual truth.

Scotland lose to Costa Rica, beat a fine Sweden team and very nearly got a result off Brazil, things like that you can remember. Doesn't make it so but over time, certain things stay in the recall.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:45 pm

Costa Rica was a bit of a shock at the time, but as the years passed after it, not so much. They were a decent side.
But Italia 90 was excellent. Yugoslavia v West Germany was very memorable. And that German side with Matteus & Klinsmann etc etc was pretty good to watch. And England were OH SO CLOSE!
Hand on heart, i did feel very sorry for Sir Bobby Robson…… the greatest ever. (imo)

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:08 am

I sat and watch the Bobby Robson programme (that Id recorded), and out of all the sackings he’d endured the one that really floored him was the one Newcastle Utd levied on him. It literally sucked the life out of him, and when you consider what he did for them ,( from bottom of the league to Champions League), it was unforgivable. And players like Dyer should hold their heads in shame because THEY got him the sack for refusing to play as SBR was instructing. As Shearer said “there were one of two players in the dressing room on far too much money, causing unrest in the club”, throwing their toys out of the pram.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:32 am

Let's face it, Dyer is a tosser at the best of times so no surprise there.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:32 am
Let's face it, Dyer is a tosser at the best of times so no surprise there.
As I understand Dyer and Craig Bellamy were the two ring leaders of the player revolt that got Sir Bobby sacked and I’ve disliked both passionately ever since. How Dyer got a job back at ITFC never ceased to amaze me but fortunately that’s no longer the case.

For any Town or Sir Bobby fan that Netflix documentary “More Than a Manager” is an absolute must watch.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:34 am

The game start is but a few hours away now but feel controlled and phlegmatic. Whoever wins, whoever loses, just wish for a fine event with lots of attacking play and a minimal sight of VAR bullshit. Two World heavyweights going at it, got to say, - it's a great game in theory.

For some, this could be our last World Cup (FInal). Whether you're in favor of one or both opposition sides, whoever you choose to root for, remember that this event comes around once every four years, simply put, it's the showcase event of international soccer. The biggest game on the biggest stage in the industry. You may not like the teams or the concept of this years competition, but really, it's an event you shouldn't choose to miss.

France team coach Didier Deschamps isn't bothered that the South Americans seem to be the peoples choice to win it i.e. they wish to see Messi get the crown of World Champion. Him and Mbappe will be pivotal figures for sure when action gets underway.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:43 pm

No self respecting English person (cant say englishman as its genger specific and that's not acceptable anymore apparently :wink: ) wants Argentina to win for 2 obvious reasons. It is hard supporting France too but that is what I'll be doing tonight!! Allez Les Bleus!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:08 pm

LizinSpain wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:43 pm
No self respecting English person (cant say englishman as its genger specific and that's not acceptable anymore apparently :wink: ) wants Argentina to win for 2 obvious reasons. It is hard supporting France too but that is what I'll be doing tonight!! Allez Les Bleus!!
Game’s @ 3pm UK time. Don’t be missing Messi lifting the Gold. 🇦🇷

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:06 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:08 pm
LizinSpain wrote:
Game’s @ 3pm UK time. Don’t be missing Messi lifting the Gold. 🇦🇷
I'm in Spain it's almost night here!!! 😂

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:20 pm

LizinSpain wrote:
I have read many comments on this particular thread and while I am not wishing to start more arguments (also sorry Liz for using your post in particular. It's only because it's the most recent and reflects much of those posts before), but I really do not get the levels of resentment.
I think back to 2 of the earliest (and finest) South American players to grace the English game, Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardiles and the disruption to their football careers along with the abuse they suffered as a result of the Falklands invasion. Two very talented individuals who suffered as the result of an Argentinian dictatorship's decision! History, I am sure is littered with similar stories! Take "Bert" Trautmann, Man City's German goalkeeper who initially suffered terrible abuse because he had fought on the "other side" in WW2. These guys are human beings.
So Maradona "cheated" in 86, but had Lineker have scored in that manner, would we have been complaining?

For me I don't really mind who wins today, though if I was going to side with any team it would be with Argentina, mainly because I think it would be a fitting tribute to a great player in Lionel Messi. Also, the atmosphere created by their fans has also been fantastic.