EFLT R2 - Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Are we staying in this competition?

Ipswich Win
92%
Portsmouth Win
8%
Penalties
No votes

Total votes: 12

hallamblue

Re: EFLT R2 - Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:08 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:53 pm
How many more times are we going to have to listen to “ Town punished by lack of clinical finishing”
Or gifting opponents easy goals. Pompey didn’t have to work for their first goal at all. The 2nd one was almost immaterial as game was over anyway. I’m sick of us gifting soft goals and passing around the opponents box when getting ball in the box if having a shot is what’s required. We overplay our game.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:49 am

What a shitfest that was, as others have said, in total control again and we find a way to gift them a goal and with it the match, our defence at times is laughable, its the usual suspects again and again and again.

Thankfully it was this cup and not another competition but disappointing all the same. To be honest on the face of it Hladky looked suspect too but I don't blame him, some of the back passes to him were often bordering on suicide at times, we need to learn to mix it up and go long, they were pressing us so much when we had goal kicks, it was plain to see.

I think in Cameron Humphreys we have a real star in the making, just oozes confidence and class, Morsy again looked on it too.

The worst thing for me, even including the result was the injury to Marcus Harness, that looks him done for a few months which is a massive blow, it should provide Edwards with his chance to shine. Thankfully it's before the January window and not after. We move on.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:55 am

I’m not sure if I can face another “practice session” fa cup game on Sunday.

You often hear commentators use the term “played like a cup tie” … but that’s not a term we hear at Portman Road as our style is the same for every game regardless who plays or whichever team we play against.

If we get promotion this season will I be bothered, No of course I won’t, but that doesn’t ease the frustration of gifting opponents wins with ease as we did again last night.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:32 am

Well, we may think that we have the strongest squad and the best investment in the League, but this result goes to show that we're nowhere near being the finished article.

We need to pick up the pace of our play, convert much more of the chances we create, and stop giving away silly goals. With the supposed strength of our squad that should be easy - but if we cxan't do it then our whole approach and staffing needs to be seriously looked at.

Worst thing for me last night was the post match comments by KM stating that it was probably the best time for us to go out of the competition. Disgraceful comments, and what sort of example does that give to the players?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:54 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:32 am
Well, we may think that we have the strongest squad and the best investment in the League, but this result goes to show that we're nowhere near being the finished article.

We need to pick up the pace of our play, convert much more of the chances we create, and stop giving away silly goals. With the supposed strength of our squad that should be easy - but if we cxan't do it then our whole approach and staffing needs to be seriously looked at.

Worst thing for me last night was the post match comments by KM stating that it was probably the best time for us to go out of the competition. Disgraceful comments, and what sort of example does that give to the players?
Have to say I was surprised when he made that comment. We might as well lose to Buxton then as we aren’t going to win the FA Cup and as we have heard so many times before can concentrate on the league. As we know that has worked out well in the past.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:41 am

Comments out of frustration I hope, was bizarre though especially after standing in the cold suffering that abomination of a performance.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:41 am
Comments out of frustration I hope, was bizarre though especially after standing in the cold suffering that abomination of a performance.
I was bloody freezing last night. Must admit I did consider leaving early but like McKenna :wink: I'm a prat as well and stayed until the end.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:22 pm

No doubt the comment was made regarding THE TIME of year.
Quote: "Best time for us to go out" ---->> not best "stage"....... He's meaning coming into December, historically an "injury" period, a TIME for injuries, and if the club want to sustain league position, yes, KM is correct ---->> it's the best time to exit. And yep, probably no doubt has mixed feelings about the FA Cup. Many fans probably listened to it as no ambition, ....., but it's abundance of ambition in his words.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:29 pm

This guy is desperate to advance his career. Gaining promotion and playing relegated EPL teams (and possibly Narwich again) is top top priority. He doesn't want the path to that jeopardised in December by the Papa johns. (Ie Marcus Harness)

Best time to do it for KMcK...... Man Utd a bit of mess at the moment....... Get Ipswich up (as champions even better) ..... More summer US pension money into the club....... Finish top 6...... In the Manure shopping basket of ideas.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:41 am
Now it's clear why they were running about like headless chickens,it was bloody freezing & they were trying to keep warm bless their cotton socks.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:14 pm

They weren't freezing, I bloody was.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:45 pm

KMck is right. We do not have a strong enough squad to compete on 3 fronts, this is because we have far to many injuries. Priority is the League, FA cup a bit of fun. Anybody who says they would rather we carry on playing in the pizza cup at the expense of possible promotion are deluded. KMck is totally correct. :roll:

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:38 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:45 pm
KMck is right. We do not have a strong enough squad to compete on 3 fronts, this is because we have far to many injuries. Priority is the League, FA cup a bit of fun. Anybody who says they would rather we carry on playing in the pizza cup at the expense of possible promotion are deluded. KMck is totally correct. :roll:
Who said anything about wanting a run in this silly cup at the expense of promotion?

The point made was that, for KM to state publicly that exiting a competition (ANY competition) is a good thing, is poor management in the extreme. It gives players the impression that losing that game doesn't matter, when in fact surely any professional outfit in any sport should try to win every game they play otherwise what's the point? Anybody with a modicum of intelligence would understand that - maybe that's why you didn't :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:12 pm

Yes, with Mendipblue on this.

You are being a bit “newspaper-like” with this Rossi.
He made a comment saying its “a good TIME to go out”……. No one will ever know if KMcK wanted to progress or not (never know 🤷‍♂️)……. December injuries in the said Pizza Cup would be a disaster.
You must surely know that?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:26 pm

Didn't the see the game, follow it, or anything such. Far too busy with other stuff but got the result late and first reaction one of surprise maybe. You just don't expect us to be beaten at home by two clear goals and not score, even if the "competition" itself is of a rat's as* nature.

Tried to find line-up, squad and attendance but above all else while would not wish any loss on the club name or inept performance with it, we got bigger fish to fry and this piece of crap tournament can go by the wayside if being honest.

Best course here is to regroup and focus on what's important. Maybe there were injuries, maybe we didn't perform as a whole, maybe it were quote "too cold" (?), whatever the cause of demise were, there's no sense or worth simmering over what went by last night. Portsmouth can have their win, probably deem it as something valuable, as someone else alluded to what's the point in risking injuries for our players with that horseshit concept of competition. That is all.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:59 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:12 pm

He made a comment saying its “a good TIME to go out”……. No one will ever know if KMcK wanted to progress or not (never know 🤷‍♂️)……. December injuries in the said Pizza Cup would be a disaster.
It's quite true that I'm a cockney and anybody who hears me talk would question what I know of the King's english.

But even my limited command of the language can recognise that a comment such as 'It's a good time to go out' connotes indifference to the fact that we lost.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:38 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:59 pm
marko69 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:12 pm

It's quite true that I'm a cockney and anybody who hears me talk would question what I know of the King's english.

But even my limited command of the language can recognise that a comment such as 'It's a good time to go out' connotes indifference to the fact that we lost.
Ah well....., maybe he is indifferent to the Papa Johns tournament. Reckon quite a few will be with him on that......, and if that gives the "wrong impression" to current Ipswich players....., those Ipswich players ain't on the same page with regard to objectives. In my opinion of course.

No one was ever going to be getting the "Papa Johns Trophy Champions 2022" tattoo! :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:41 pm

For what it's worth, I agree with KM..."it's a good time to go out"...and that connotes ME not giving a sh*t about the EFLT! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:11 pm

I have no issue with us not being interested in the f**king competition but say so before I waste my bloody time and money, don't roll out a player before the game saying we want Wembley ffs. I also think we did want the competition, why else go so strong and lose a crucial player to injury. I think KM worded it terribly tbh.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:22 pm

I think the squad KM chose is proof enough he was serious about winning. Now in hindsight, he appears to be trying to find a positive. That’s good management in my opinion.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:17 pm

I must admit it does make me wonder whether or not to be bothered about watching the Buxton game on Sunday. That could be another frustrating 90 mins although to be fair they won’t have anywhere near the resources of Pompey Reserves.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:46 pm

If anything last night demonstrated it is a need for another CB to partner Burgess ( because he’ll be ahead of Edmundson all day long), and it’s only Woolfies ability to bring the ball out of defence that’s keeping him in the team in my view, but he’s a weak “ defender”. Edmundson by contrast us neither hood on the ball( is always caught either in possession up the park , or makes the decision as to his actual “defending” role. But neither I’m my view are good enough , snd certainly not as a partnership. I think the only reason we have had good “ defending stats” is purely because we have such a high possession percentage ( so opponents rarely get a chance to actually attack us). But when they go, we are found wanting in our own box time and time again.

At the other end of the pitch, ( and watching last night and comparing that performance to so many of our league games) I feel we overplay our game do many times in that last attacking 1/3 when sometimes an earlier ball into the box or just a shot on goal might be far more of a threat. Not sure how many of our shots were actually “ on target” … time and again our opponents seem to get a goal from an almost single shot on goal - why? …… And why don’t we ?

An interesting Jan Window looms as yet another if our players appears injured for bloody months - again not a couple of weeks like so many others clubs get , oh no, ours are for months!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:59 pm

^^^
So you’re optimistic then?😂

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:50 am

With our growing injury list and crap defence - hell, yes 👍👍 :lol: :lol: