Harness

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Harness

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:05 am

Town forward Marcus Harness is set to undergo surgery in the next few days on the injury he suffered during Tuesday’s Papa Johns Trophy tie against his former club Portsmouth at Portman Road and is facing 10 weeks on the sidelines.

The 26-year-old was helped from the pitch in obvious discomfort in the 24th minute of the Blues' defeat to Pompey with manager Kieran McKenna admitting afterwards that the injury didn’t “look great on first viewing”.

Harness is understood to have suffered a bucket handle meniscus tear to the cartilage in his knee. He will go under the knife in the next few days and is expected to be out for 10 weeks.

A bucket handle meniscus tear is when the meniscus, a C-shaped wedge of cartilage, is ripped away from its attachments at back of the knee and flips forward into the front of the knee like a bucket handle.

The former Portsmouth man’s absence is a further blow to the Blues, who already have Sone Aluko, Lee Evans, Dominic Ball and Tyreece John-Jules out with longer-term injuries.
This for me is the biggest blow yet, a big player for us and not easily covered. I think it's another situation that needs addressing in the Transfer window.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Harness

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:08 am

Highly irritating indeed. 🤦‍♂️

If the unthinkable happens and Ipswich are in L1 next season…….. someone (Mark Ashton maybe 🤷‍♂️) ….. write to the FA saying the club are withdrawing from pointless competitions.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:25 am

This is the issue isn't it Marko, we all go on about taking the cups seriously etc but at the end of the day and with hindsight I wish we had made Eleven changes tbh. McKenna can't win really.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:44 pm

No doubt it is a blow. As they say hindsight is a wonderful thing but some of these injuries could have just as easily happened in training.
The real problem is the length of time some of the players are out and in that respect we have been unlucky.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:52 pm

I’m just pissed off with our injury record and the severity of injuries we as a club seem to get . We’ve lost 4-5 players for a minimum of 3 months each. What’s wrong with just getting a sprained ankle for a change?!

As an exit: how the hell are we fixed for squad reinforcements in Jan now given we can only name 20 in squad ? Does this mean we de select some players. How does it work?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:59 pm

Move a couple on I expect, TJJ most likely and god knows who else.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:12 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:52 pm
I’m just pissed off with our injury record and the severity of injuries we as a club seem to get . We’ve lost 4-5 players for a minimum of 3 months each. What’s wrong with just getting a sprained ankle for a change?!

As an exit: how the hell are we fixed for squad reinforcements in Jan now given we can only name 20 in squad ? Does this mean we de select some players. How does it work?
Thought it was 22 outfield over 21 year old players were allowed. And we could not select Ball im the squad if he's out for the season. So we could bring in 3 senior players then without moving players on. And under 21s dont count.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:49 pm

Boss Kieran McKenna says there’s a feeling of relief that Marcus Harness’s knee injury isn’t as bad as had been initially feared, while the Blues manager was annoyed that news regarding the 26-year-old’s surgery initially appeared in the Portsmouth local media.

Harness suffered the injury in the 24th minute of Tuesday’s Papa Johns Trophy defeat to his former club Pompey.

The News, the Portsmouth local newspaper, was first to report that the former Pompey man had suffered a bucket handle meniscus tear to the cartilage in his knee, suggesting that would keep him out for three months.

Asked how the player is having learned that he would require surgery having undergone a scan, manager McKenna said: “Marcus is fine, he’s a really strong-minded and determined character.

“I think it’s been published in different sites, the detail and speculation on the time of his injury, which I think is disgraceful really from the media outlet of the football club and the people who feed that media outlet.

“I think that’s inappropriate from our point of view, [it’s for us] to give something formal on Marcus.

“He does have a small meniscus tear, he’ll have surgery tomorrow morning, the timescale for that will be determined by the surgeon after the surgery.”

McKenna, who was previously critical of comments Portsmouth manager Danny Cowley made ahead of the league game between the teams in in October, says the injury isn't as bad as was initially thought.

“To be honest, there’s a feeling at the club and with Marcus of relief that it’s not worse with the mechanism of the injury it could have been something a lot more serious,” he added.

“Of course, my first fear is for the player in that situation and for his career and at the moment the outlook is much, much brighter than it was on Tuesday night.

“He’ll have surgery on Saturday morning, he’s looking forward to getting that over and done with and it’s not too major of a surgery and we’re hoping that all goes smoothly and he can be back with us as soon as possible.”

It’s understood that Town hope Harness will be back in eight-to-10 weeks but McKenna says until he has the surgery it’s difficult to make a definitive judgement.

“There’s rough timescales at the moment, which are considerably different than I’ve seen published today,” he continued.

“But, to be honest, unless has anyone has an amazing crystal ball, then you can’t tell the timescale until the surgeon goes in and has a look at the knee.

“At the moment they’re pretty position and hopefully they’re positive after surgery on Saturday.”

Reflecting on Town's ongoing injury struggles, McKenna added: “It’s been that sort of spell really since maybe September onwards. But we’ve probably not changed too much in terms of what I’ve said and he we looked at it.

“We built a strong squad at the start of pre-season to be able to deal with the rigours of the season.

“Absolutely, we feel like there’s been a larger than we’d have expected number of injuries and a really peculiarly large number of non-contact or minimum contact joint injuries, which very typically are tough to predict and avoid.

“But the group have been coping admirably and players have been coming in and doing a really good job and helping the team in different ways. The versatility that we’ve got in the squad for somebody like a Kane Vincent-Young has proved to be very useful and will prove to be very useful over the next couple of weeks and the players who are fit and available are coping admirably with the smaller numbers.

“We have some players back and, of course, that gives us a boost and then it’s very, very disappointing to lose Marcus the other night, again from my perspective the overriding emotion is always towards the player and not towards the team because he’s a fantastic boy who has made a big impact and we feel like was just on the cusp after his performance at Exeter of kicking on to another level again.

“So the first thought is always with the player really, but knowing that the injury wasn’t as serious as it could have been was a relief and I think all the players share that relief for Marcus as well and I know that we’ll have a competitive team and a team ready to go for every game.

“We have a good period of rest in between the games between now and Christmas and we have a fantastic group of players who will do everything they can for the team and I know that we’ll be well prepared and organised and ready to attack every game.”

I guess we should be grateful, Cowley & that lot are a bit of a disgrace in truth.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:03 pm

Just glad Edward’s is back and in good form, I’ve rated his recent performances and think he has been unlucky not to be starting games.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:56 pm

I wonder what impact this injury will have on team selection on Sunday v Buxton. With injuries building up we may be better off focusing on promotion as a single goal.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:15 am

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:56 pm
I wonder what impact this injury will have on team selection on Sunday v Buxton. With injuries building up we may be better off focusing on promotion as a single goal.
Couldn’t agree more. FTR, (opinion) ipswich second team should be able to win v Buxton.

But 3rd round, possible bigger tie, (as mike says) KMcK caught between rock & hard place…… does he go for it……. Or think “league”?
He’ll not be able to do it right for doing it wrong amongst the fanbase.

But…… and an important but…… he keeps Ipswich Town FC in that top two or sustaining that points cushion above 4th……. More will be with him ——>> because it IS the league that matters.

Quite a few or us on this site, myself included, said if ITFC get R worded, it’ll be League One for YEARS! Need to get back up, Lone Ranger & Pronto.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:47 am

The league has to come first , and especially given our injury list. The primary target is promotion. That’s it .

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:42 am

Pity about Harness, but fingers crossed he can be back late jan/early Feb. Could be worse.

I think we've got to stop moaning about how bad our luck is. We're bloody lucky we've got good owners ( for the moment) who've put their hands in their pockets and bought us a big squad. And they're prepared to buy new players in January if need be. January's not too far away. Players get injured at any time. Probably loads of sliding doors moments in any game (or training) when players can get seriously injured or avoid injury all the time. Other clubs get injuries too, but we should be better equipped than them.
Im not sure we've been down to the bare bones yet. Evans is the only ever present player to get injured, and we had cover for him. Harness could just as likely be on the bench. Before last Saturday, him and Chaplin had scored only one between them in 10 games. Not as if he's a goal machine. It's time for Chaplin to stand up and find some form as he's been underwhelming the last couple of months. A chance now for Edwards as well. And Aluko is just a couple of weeks away from fitness. I wouldn't rule Cam Humphreys out as a number 10, too. Morsy gets injured, though; then that's the big one. Best player we've had in years.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:55 am

I agree, Harness for me is the biggest injury blow so far but hardly terminal what with Chaplin, Edwards and Camara all available, Evans hasn't really been missed either, same with Aluko who is a bit part player, Ahadme, Leigh and Camara all fit now while TJJ isn't a miss at all. I am not seeing this bare bones thing either.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:47 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:12 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:52 pm

Thought it was 22 outfield over 21 year old players were allowed. And we could not select Ball im the squad if he's out for the season. So we could bring in 3 senior players then without moving players on. And under 21s dont count.
Thanks for that Tang 👍( sorry for delayed reply I’ve been away )

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:14 pm

Wormwood scrubs ? Parkhurst? Holloway ?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:14 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
:lol: :lol: , close! The Hoe in Plymouth. It peed down for 4 days, then the day I travel back home , bright sunshine. Gotta be a subliminal message in there somewhere!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:48 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:51 pm
Bluemike wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
….. and you can shut up!!! :lol: :lol: