Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 2442
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:44 pm

Well balanced interview from our manager on the eve of his first year in charge.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23174019.i ... ar-charge/
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 5218
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Keiran McKenna interview

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:54 pm

I just finished reading it, and I was about to post it! :lol:

Yep, I still think he's perfect for ITFC at the moment. Nice to read he views Ipswich as home now, with his family all settled in. Maybe that could be the catalyst for keeping him here as long as possible.

Nothing new as far as his demeanor. Calm, cool and collected as usual with his responses...and he seems completely onboard with the club culture Ashton and the Americans are trying to build.

For the doubters I say again, we're lucky to have him.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 26901
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Keiran McKenna interview

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:17 pm

Absolutely we are lucky to have him, we seem to forget just how young and inexperienced he is so to expect him to get it right every week and steamroller every opposition is pretty daft to be honest, it's a learning curve and he is doing pretty damn good, I am convinced the second half of the season is going to be a fair bit better than the first half too.

shabba
Posts: 1227
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: Keiran McKenna interview

Post by shabba » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:56 pm

Also....Just discovered this, not seen it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=716D3pmrREw

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 2442
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Keiran McKenna interview

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:52 pm

shabba wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:56 pm
Also....Just discovered this, not seen it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=716D3pmrREw
Thanks for posting that further insight. It was good to read the bits the EADT had reported on, but better to see the actual interview. Have only watched the first 10 minutes, but it seems obvious to me that KMc has potentially a huge successful future ahead of him as a manager. Let's enjoy what we can while he is with Ipswich.

hallamblue
Posts: 28723
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Keiran McKenna interview

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:02 pm

In Keirrrrran we trust 👍 :D

User avatar
arana peligrosa
Posts: 9932
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Keiran McKenna interview

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:36 am

Only one year in and right now, on a plateau with say George and Royle. In the simplest terms he can never be - and no matter how long he remains here - in the same company as Ramsey and Robson, truth be said no manager after them at Portman Road can ever really hope to, or can, replicate those heights and achievement, but without question McKenna has breathed life into a club name that was in real danger of falling into oblivion following the misadventures and disaster of just above every name that came after Royle and up until last year's appointment. I.E. 2006 - 2021

With McKenna, and no manager is flawless, is there are one two areas of concern but it's been elaborated upon before, not only that feels like a minority sometimes, but it's a relevant point that needs amendment or further focus. The final analysis here being without Marcus Evans (finally) getting out and had say Lambert or Cook been allowed to continue, hell knows where we'd be at this point in time.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21960
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Keiran McKenna interview

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:56 am

If anyone has given Kieron that 45 minutes of their time watching the YouTube video posted above, then they’re “onboard” with him completely.
In this day & age where people are too impatient to watch a 30 second clip……. If you watched that, you’re a Kieron “fan”.

Very good video …., very switched on young guy and he’s not full of wind & pish like a Paul cliche Cook type.

🙏-ing he’s successful @ PR.

User avatar
Mauswara
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:15 am

Re: Keiran McKenna interview

Post by Mauswara » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:49 am

I did watch it, a nice little chat whilst walking around the training fields, it was well produced too.

User avatar
Frosty
Forum Owner
Posts: 3794
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:46 am

Re: Keiran McKenna interview

Post by Frosty » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:56 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:49 am
I did watch it, a nice little chat whilst walking around the training fields, it was well produced too.
Welcome to the forum

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 2442
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:10 pm

For anyone interested in stats, these certainly make for interesting analysis;

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23176651.i ... -50-games/

I guess when comparing to other ITFC managers who have reached the 50 game milestone, you have to look at the division where they plied their trade. In most cases it would be the top 2 flights I guess!

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 26901
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:08 pm

They also had better players and weren't in anywhere near the mess this club was in when KM arrived.

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 2325
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by Ricco » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:23 pm

Part of me wants us to limp in to 2nd position this year, so we stand a better chance of keeping him. Put on a good run and blow the league away by 10-15pts and we might be waving goodbye!

User avatar
arana peligrosa
Posts: 9932
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:41 am

Ricco wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:23 pm
Part of me wants us to limp in to 2nd position this year, so we stand a better chance of keeping him. Put on a good run and blow the league away by 10-15pts and we might be waving goodbye!
Won't happen or can't happen. Only fantasists (in general, not picking out yourself or any one individual) can envisage such a runaway lead over a nearest challenger if we were to finish first position.

We'll either win the league by two or three points, runners-up or hell forbid third place and short straws of a play-off opportunity. Second option seems most feasible but the season still has a distance to run.

Forgot to mention before in that possibly the very best thing about McKenna is the enthusiasm and belief he has once again put into the club name, the hope something can be achieved again after so many years away. Certain pride in supporting the team once again whereas at one time it were clearly non-existent or the punchline of jokes to rival club names out there.

Only thing left to wonder is just at what point McKenna accepts it's time for a new challenge and shifts on. Maybe the next team coach here won't be as good or hopeful but at least we're back on the right path after years of neglect and disarray. Can only hope whoever comes in after doesn't set the club name back like once before.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 5218
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:30 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:41 am
Forgot to mention before in that possibly the very best thing about McKenna is the enthusiasm and belief he has once again put into the club name, the hope something can be achieved again after so many years away. Certain pride in supporting the team once again whereas at one time it were clearly non-existent or the punchline of jokes to rival club names out there.
Exactly!

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 16444
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:56 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:10 pm
For anyone interested in stats, these certainly make for interesting analysis;

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23176651.i ... -50-games/

I guess when comparing to other ITFC managers who have reached the 50 game milestone, you have to look at the division where they plied their trade. In most cases it would be the top 2 flights I guess!

So where are the likes of Bobby Robson and George Burley on these stats or am I missing something?

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 2442
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:39 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:56 am
AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:10 pm
For anyone interested in stats, these certainly make for interesting analysis;

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23176651.i ... -50-games/

I guess when comparing to other ITFC managers who have reached the 50 game milestone, you have to look at the division where they plied their trade. In most cases it would be the top 2 flights I guess!

So where are the likes of Bobby Robson and George Burley on these stats or am I missing something?
If you tap on the spreadsheet shown, it opens the whole chart up. I admit I didn't see Bobby Robson initially as he was quite low down the chart. I believe his first couple of years here were difficult, but we all know how good he went on to be, definitely our best ever manager.

User avatar
arana peligrosa
Posts: 9932
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:44 pm

it's easy to forget and some of the younger generations won't always be aware but Sir Robert did in fact build more than one great team with us. Fans instantly recognize the F.A. Cup win, UEFA Cup and two runners-up places in the top league but between say 1973 - 75 Robson had put together a side capable of challenging for the very top prizes and were good enough to be League Champions. The team very nearly won the league in '75 you can remember, not only that but the F.A. Cup with it. Some kid name of Alan Taylor denied us, things like that stay with you over time.

Robson was - or is - arguably our finest ever team coach but the league title escaped him. Ramsey achieved that particular accolade and winning the old second division league the year before. Does that make him better or more distinguished than the other, you can argue long and hard but best response being in simplest terms, necessarily no.

User avatar
Mauswara
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:15 am

Re: Keiran McKenna interview

Post by Mauswara » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:25 am

Frosty wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:56 pm
Mauswara wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:49 am
I did watch it, a nice little chat whilst walking around the training fields, it was well produced too.
Welcome to the forum
Thanks, appreciated.

hallamblue
Posts: 28723
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:00 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:39 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:56 am
AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:10 pm
For anyone interested in stats, these certainly make for interesting analysis;

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23176651.i ... -50-games/

I guess when comparing to other ITFC managers who have reached the 50 game milestone, you have to look at the division where they plied their trade. In most cases it would be the top 2 flights I guess!

So where are the likes of Bobby Robson and George Burley on these stats or am I missing something?
If you tap on the spreadsheet shown, it opens the whole chart up. I admit I didn't see Bobby Robson initially as he was quite low down the chart. I believe his first couple of years here were difficult, but we all know how good he went on to be, definitely our best ever manager.
Player power (Billy Baxter I believe), was a big factor in Sir Bobby’s first year here. But he was essentially a novice manager, with s few players who were either his age or older so not an easy start for him. But he was made of s special substance ….. McKenna appears to be of a similar mould. 👍

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 2442
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:41 pm

A further piece from the EADT, one which makes warming reading and makes you realise just how far our wonderful club has come in the last year (or so). There will always be bumps in the road, but we are building some solid foundations throughout the entire football club.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23220428.i ... tman-road/

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21960
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:22 pm

Great read……… and the guys being too nice towards Cookie! :lol:

Got to hope & pray, if the club gain promotion, the “vultures” will be successfully fended off.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2685
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:22 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:41 pm
A further piece from the EADT, one which makes warming reading and makes you realise just how far our wonderful club has come in the last year (or so). There will always be bumps in the road, but we are building some solid foundations throughout the entire football club.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23220428.i ... tman-road/
Let's keep it real
- we've achieved nothing yet

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21960
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:28 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:22 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:41 pm
A further piece from the EADT, one which makes warming reading and makes you realise just how far our wonderful club has come in the last year (or so). There will always be bumps in the road, but we are building some solid foundations throughout the entire football club.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23220428.i ... tman-road/
Let's keep it real
- we've achieved nothing yet
He’s achieved fairly high League One home attendances @ 27-28K? Thats an achievement.
Not in an “honours” sense, but Kieron has achieved that. No?

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 2442
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:40 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:22 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:41 pm
A further piece from the EADT, one which makes warming reading and makes you realise just how far our wonderful club has come in the last year (or so). There will always be bumps in the road, but we are building some solid foundations throughout the entire football club.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23220428.i ... tman-road/
Let's keep it real
- we've achieved nothing yet
Indeed, but surely you'd agree our club has come a long way in the last year (or so)? Those clubs who are fortunate enough (or aspire) to achieve good things need solid foundations and infrastructure.
Look back at Marcus Evans time at the helm, I will always be grateful for the positive things, but under him, the background staff were filled with people who appeared to have little calibre in footballing terms (based purely on things I have read, as I have no actual knowledge to judge how good or bad any of his internal appointments were), our stadium was woefully neglected, and despite Paul Lambert's earlier attempts to unite the whole fabric of the club, by reaching out to some of our stars of the past and buying drinks, the fanbase was becoming evermore disenfranchised.
You and I are very often poles apart in our views, and believe me, I do still find myself nodding in agreement to some of your points, whether or not I agree with them. However, unless you are commenting on something in the article, I believe I kept it real. To me it was a warming article, we have got a wonderful football club, and yes there are signs that this is becoming an astute and well run club. Quite rightly, we are still in L1, there is no silverware under this current regime, but we do appear to be heading in the right direction.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2685
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:02 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:40 pm
rossi wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:22 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:41 pm
A further piece from the EADT, one which makes warming reading and makes you realise just how far our wonderful club has come in the last year (or so). There will always be bumps in the road, but we are building some solid foundations throughout the entire football club.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23220428.i ... tman-road/
Let's keep it real
- we've achieved nothing yet
Indeed, but surely you'd agree our club has come a long way in the last year (or so)? Those clubs who are fortunate enough (or aspire) to achieve good things need solid foundations and infrastructure.
Look back at Marcus Evans time at the helm, I will always be grateful for the positive things, but under him, the background staff were filled with people who appeared to have little calibre in footballing terms (based purely on things I have read, as I have no actual knowledge to judge how good or bad any of his internal appointments were), our stadium was woefully neglected, and despite Paul Lambert's earlier attempts to unite the whole fabric of the club, by reaching out to some of our stars of the past and buying drinks, the fanbase was becoming evermore disenfranchised.
You and I are very often poles apart in our views, and believe me, I do still find myself nodding in agreement to some of your points, whether or not I agree with them. However, unless you are commenting on something in the article, I believe I kept it real. To me it was a warming article, we have got a wonderful football club, and yes there are signs that this is becoming an astute and well run club. Quite rightly, we are still in L1, there is no silverware under this current regime, but we do appear to be heading in the right direction.
heading in the right direction? - definitely
Are we close? - IMO, no

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 21960
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:06 pm

Ipswich are 2nd. Season objective was promotion. Thats close.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 26901
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:17 pm

He's took us backwards recently, sack him

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2685
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:44 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:02 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:40 pm
rossi wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:22 pm


Let's keep it real
- we've achieved nothing yet
Indeed, but surely you'd agree our club has come a long way in the last year (or so)? Those clubs who are fortunate enough (or aspire) to achieve good things need solid foundations and infrastructure.
Look back at Marcus Evans time at the helm, I will always be grateful for the positive things, but under him, the background staff were filled with people who appeared to have little calibre in footballing terms (based purely on things I have read, as I have no actual knowledge to judge how good or bad any of his internal appointments were), our stadium was woefully neglected, and despite Paul Lambert's earlier attempts to unite the whole fabric of the club, by reaching out to some of our stars of the past and buying drinks, the fanbase was becoming evermore disenfranchised.
You and I are very often poles apart in our views, and believe me, I do still find myself nodding in agreement to some of your points, whether or not I agree with them. However, unless you are commenting on something in the article, I believe I kept it real. To me it was a warming article, we have got a wonderful football club, and yes there are signs that this is becoming an astute and well run club. Quite rightly, we are still in L1, there is no silverware under this current regime, but we do appear to be heading in the right direction.
heading in the right direction? - definitely
Are we close? - IMO, no
The 'keep it real' remark was aimed at the newspaper article, not at what you had written :)

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2685
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Keiran McKenna's First year, interview & stats

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:47 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:06 pm
Ipswich are 2nd. Season objective was promotion. Thats close.
not at only halfway through the season it's not

Post Reply