League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Peterborough United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Back to winning ways?

Town Win
78%
Posh Win
6%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 18

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Peterborough United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:21 pm

Image Ipswich Town vs Peterborough United Image

Saturday 10th December 2022 – 12:30

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Town are still sitting pretty in the League One Table following last Friday nights frustrating draw with Fleetwood Town at Portman Road, another game where we failed to build on an early lead was to prove as disappointing as those of the visits of Lincoln & Cheltenham earlier in the season, this time a wicked 96th minute deflection robbing Town of Two points and with it top spot in the division.

While our overall position is still very good and bang where we wanted to be at this time of the year just how much better could it actually be if we could learn to see games out or create more of the numerous chances we create ? While I am still more than confident we will win the division it is fair to say we could be sitting pretty with a handy gap between ourselves and our main rivals, Sheffield Wednesday continue to pick up points but they too failed to grasp the initiative when they could have gone top, while Plymouth are doing exactly what myself and a fair few others expected them to do as they succumbed to Port Vale at home, others in the chasing pack also continue to drop points at an alarming rate with Portsmouth & Peterborough Utd to name but Two coming unstuck again, it does look that even at this early stage the teams sitting 7, 8 or 9 points behind us will find it hard to get enough consistency into their play to catch us, especially as we would need to lose Three on the bounce which to be fair has never looked like happening.

Going into Christmas and the new year is always a crucial time for Football and it is a period which can define your season, a good haul of points would set us up very nicely indeed while a poor festive season could see us dragged back into the pack, unlikely but possible. With games against Peterborough (H), Wycombe (A), Oxford (H), Portsmouth (A) and Lincoln (H) I think Town could be forgiven for expecting to pick up double figures points wise which would be par for the course and acceptable given those set of fixtures, I would also expect it to see us remain in the automatic promotion places going into the second half of the campaign.

Going back to the Fleetwood game, while I was unable to attend or indeed watch the game it does appear we were some way off our usual performance, quite why that is is anyone's guess but it happens to all teams sometimes, maybe we are just starting to feel a little bit of the impact so many injuries are causing us lately, maybe expectation at Portman Road with big crowds does heap pressure on the players, while they should be good enough to deal with that, and used to it now, it can sometimes have a detrimental effect, or it could just simply nothing more than an off night, we haven't had many after all. We are now seven unbeaten and I believe we sit top of the current league One form table so there doesn't appear too much wrong right now, however it is vital we somehow get this stigma off our backs when it comes to getting the job done against mid to lower table teams at Portman Road.

We revert back to our traditional Saturday kick off this weekend, albeit at the earlier time of 12.30pm thanks to this blooming World Cup tripe, Peterborough Utd are the visitors on this occasion and they come on the back of a poor run of form, Three straight League defeats to Exeter City, Bristol Rovers & Barnsley plus elimination from Two cups in that time is not what was expected by the London Road faithful and while they still creep into the Top Six at the moment it has seen them drop further behind the leaders, Eleven points behind Town to be precise which as i have already stated will take some catching up, a win against the posh here would pretty much see us out of sight of them already and that has to be the aim.

With our defence very happy to gift teams goals at times coming up against a player of the calibre of Jonson Clarke-Harris does set alarm bells ringing, he is a goalscorer and given the chance will punish any team, he already sits on Twelve for the season and is clearly their man to watch, backing him up is a certain Jack Marriott who is well known to Town fans, Jack already has Six to his name so they form a potent spearhead to the Posh team. With Plymouth Argyle at Cambridge Utd & Sheffield Wednesday at Exeter City we have to do our bit at home, they are Two tricky ties and the league table could have a very favourable look to it come Saturday evening, providing of course we get this home jinx thing out of our system and get ourselves back to winning ways. I think we will, 2-1 Town. COYB'S

The Opposition – Peterborough United - Honours

League

Football League One
Runners up: 2008–09, 2020–21
Play-off Winners: 1991–92, 2010–11

Football League Two
Winners: 1960–61, 1973–74
Runners-up: 1990–91, 2007–08
Play-off Winners: 1999–2000

Midland League
Winners: 1939–40, 1955–56, 1956–57, 1957–58, 1958–59, 1959–60
Runners up: 1953–54

Cups

FA Cup
Quarter Final – 1964–65

Football League Cup
Semi-final – 1965–66

Football League Trophy
Winners : 2013–14

The Manager – Grant McCann

League Table as at

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

25 Oct Port Vale 2 - 3 Ipswich Town

29 Oct Charlton 4 - 4 Ipswich Town

12 Nov Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Cheltenham

19 Nov Exeter City 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

2 Dec Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Fleetwood

Peterborough United

25 Oct Peterborough 3 - 1 Accrington

29 Oct Peterborough 1 - 0 Cambridge Utd

12 Nov Exeter City 3 - 2 Peterborough

19 Nov Bristol Rovers 1 - 0 Peterborough

2 Dec Peterborough 1 - 2 Barnsley

Head to Head

Match Referee – Ollie Yates

IPSWICH TOWN 2 PETERBOROUGH UNITED 1

number 9

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Peterborough United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:14 pm

Good preview, but you haven’t mentioned Barnsley. We need to start winning or the pack will catch us.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:14 pm

Excellent preview as always.

This is an interesting read https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... xo8ifakngj

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:22 am

Any reason why it's a noon start, would better benefit us if the opposition had further to travel but guess it's a local derby of sorts. Voted for us to win by score of 3 - 2 in the Prediction League and that's it.

We score goals, we got the capabilities to trouble opponent defenses but it doesn't happen every time. Peterborough seem useful, they should get one or two themselves but with a vociferous large home crowd and us going for the automatic promotion slot, got to imagine we'll just edge it.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:45 am

Going for a 2-1 win.

I don’t think Peterborough will play for a draw and that should lead to an open game.

Our defence has always got an error in it but we’ve got a lot going forwards and they concede more goals than anyone in their ‘mini-league’ for the play-offs, if such a thing exists. We are due a bit of luck too!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:09 am

Think there could be a few goals in this one and as Posh have only drawn one league game so far this season they are probably due another one.

Town 2 Peterborough 2

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:41 am

Excellent preview. And was my deceased grandad sitting next to you, quote, “World Cup tripe”…… :lol: Everything was tripe to auld Charlie! Never heard that for years. :lol: 👍👌

Still 3 games until only halfway through the season. Very long season. And in the preview, brings home another way of thinking which i know im guilty of NOT doing..,,,,.. so intent on Ipswich picking up the points, forgetting that others MUST also ——->> and its difficult knowing ITFC are already 9pts ahead of 4th. Can take comfort remembering it’ll be extremely difficult for that chasing pack.

11 points from next 5 fixtures , 3 wins , 2 draws would be sweet. Posh do seem to up their game vs ITFC, but going to say Freddie & Co will be inspired by watching the goals in that tripe World Cup and bag a brace! Book it.
2-0 Ipswich

Ref / Grant McCann caption:

Ref: “Making a list here, Grant. Been given snack bar duties. What you want?”
Grant Mc: “One of those two foot long Subways, Ollie. Extra bacon.”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:26 pm

Town win 3-1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:23 pm

f*ck sake, Liz has been hacked now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:25 pm

Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony has issued a blistering attack on his club’s “spoilt” players and admitted he is “angry” with manager Grant McCann ahead of his side's visit to Portman Road on Saturday.

Posh are sixth in League One, 11 points behind the Blues, following Friday’s 2-1 home defeat to Barnsley, their fourth successive defeat in all competitions.

In the League, they have lost their last three and nine in total since the start of the campaign following their relegation from the Championship.

“We were out-played, out-coached, out-pressed and could have been 3-0 down after 20 minutes,” MacAnthony said of the defeat to the Tykes on his Hard Truth podcast.

“The worst thing was we had 30 minutes to get back into the game after going 2-1 down, but we didn’t even manage a shot on target. Where’s the hunger?

“Barnsley had an answer for everything we did. They forced us into a Plan B and we didn’t have one.

“It was abject. We shouldn’t be losing nine games in this league before Christmas, never mind by the start of December. We don’t need to be arrogant, but we should be playing on the front foot in this division.

“The players are spoilt rotten. We have the most expensive management team I’ve ever recruited.

“The players have everything they need. We’ve even hired an assistant chef now! Maybe we should knock spending £5k on away trips on the head and remind them how hard life used to be.

“We have players who should be dominating League One games. They are on good wages, but we are not getting value for money.

“If I was the captain of the team I’d have dragged the players in on Saturday morning and asked them what’s going on? I doubt that happened though as they probably had the weekend off.

“It has to change attitude-wise. They need to wake up and smell the coffee and start doing their jobs better from 1-11 and win some football matches.

“There has to be some accountability. Barnsley came down with us last season, sold some of their better players and yet a side who have spent four months together looked much better than one that has been together for two years. We improved our squad, the younger players are better and we sold only one player.

“I keep getting told this a great group of players and now they need to prove it. They need to show some spirit and realise what is expected of everyone employed by Peterborough United because what I saw on Friday was unacceptable.

“None of us, including me, were good enough. I understand the criticism and the booing as I’m as frustrated as the fans.”

MacAnthony says that although manager McCann’s job is not in jeopardy, he’s less than impressed with the former Hull City boss.

“Grant can defend himself,” he added. “I’m not going to sack him, but I am angry with him, as I’d be angry with any manager, Fergie or whoever, at a time like this.

“Grant is a title winner. He often out-coaches the opposition, but maybe he needs to change things up.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, and if we play like we did against Barnsley then Ipswich will beat us.

“We need to show some balls. If you’re going to win promotion from League One you need to win at places like Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday. We’ve won at Ipswich the last two times we’ve played there. We have to show up and perform for 90 minutes.”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:32 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:23 pm
Lol I can’t win can I !!

I’m trying to be positive :D

Wait till I see you Sat …. 3pm ko Mike ok

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:26 pm

:lol: :lol:
hallamblue wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:32 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:23 pm
Lol I can’t win can I !!

I’m trying to be positive :D

Wait till I see you Sat …. 3pm ko Mike ok
:lol: :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:14 pm

Some timely good news, especially as it is fairly hot on the heels of losing Marcus Harness;

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23178947.i ... erborough/

Sone Aluko being set to be involved with the squad on Saturday in a massive boost. Yes he may be rusty, but I feel he brings something to the team that few other players do.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:25 pm

There are only 4 teams in League One that have lost more games than Peterborough this season which suggests a gung ho approach to fixtures which could work in our favour and allow us to play.

Whichever way it goes we should have enough to win this, let’s just hope we can manage to build a two goal cushion to provide some insurance against dropping points to a late goal in added time.

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:17 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:14 pm
Some timely good news, especially as it is fairly hot on the heels of losing Marcus Harness;

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23178947.i ... erborough/

Sone Aluko being set to be involved with the squad on Saturday in a massive boost. Yes he may be rusty, but I feel he brings something to the team that few other players do.
Totally agree. I've never seen him as a 90' player but a great option to bring off the bench to give defenders something different to think about.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:34 pm

A bit surprised Aluko, Chaplin and Jackson start as the front three. Otherwise it’s as you would expect.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:38 pm

Just don't see us scoring today with that line up, pretty disappointed tbh.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:56 pm

I can't understand Aluko starting surely second half sub would be better and Jackson rather than Ladapo and Ahadme no way should he be starting.😩

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:09 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:56 pm
I can't understand Aluko starting surely second half sub would be better and Jackson rather than Ladapo and Ahadme no way should he be starting.😩
Fully agree. We have to trust KM though.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:41 pm

Jackson can't score for toffee, hope he proves me wrong though ,guess Ladapo not starting as he's recovering from an injury.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:57 pm

Get in Chappers!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:38 pm
Just don't see us scoring today with that line up, pretty disappointed tbh.
Great reverse psychology Milke. 1-0 Chaplin :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:59 pm

An almost perfect headed goal ⚽️, no great pace on the ball but placed to perfection.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:01 pm

Hopefully today we can score a second please 🙏

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:02 pm

Clarke-Harris just hit the bar from a free-kick- think we might need another goal

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:02 pm

10 points gained in the Prediction League. Boom! :lol:
Maybe I will try the goal time guess method more often - 19 was the first number I saw while making my guesses, and it paid off :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:04 pm

I’d like to see a little more happening down our left and get Leif Davis more into the game.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:08 pm

Gosh we look fragile at the back.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:16 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:02 pm
Maybe I will try the goal time guess method more often - 19 was the first number I saw while making my guesses, and it paid off :D

That's not good news for me 😩😭

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:24 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:16 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:02 pm

That's not good news for me 😩😭
Just realised how in line most of our other predictions are. The MOTD score could be huge for either of us as we have gone for very different scores.