January Transfer Window

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

bluejacko

Re: January Transfer Window

Post by bluejacko » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:57 pm

Well well this is good news for somebody😄

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/549535/swa ... lymouth/#0

If not us it might well put a dent in plymouths plans😂

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:59 pm

Mike…….

Games with Ladapo on or off have been virtually the same. 68 million shots, 2 million on target…… zero goals.
He may have a few tap ins to his name (that i’d give my grandaughter a row if she’d missed) …. But you can’t SERIOUSLY be saying with a complete straight face that Freddie Ladapo is the gateway to the championship ?? Seriously?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:01 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:57 pm
Well well this is good news for somebody😄

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/549535/swa ... lymouth/#0

If not us it might well put a dent in plymouths plans😂
And shouldnt be allowed really. Feels corrupt as fk. What a kick in the nutbag to the Pilgrims.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:04 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:59 pm
Mike…….

Games with Ladapo on or off have been virtually the same. 68 million shots, 2 million on target…… zero goals.
He may have a few tap ins to his name (that i’d give my grandaughter a row if she’d missed) …. But you can’t SERIOUSLY be saying with a complete straight face that Freddie Ladapo is the gateway to the championship ?? Seriously?
Quoting myself here to add……….

If he can guarantee the Lineker approach, then yep…….. but you just got to assume his lethargic approach maybe irritates KMcK.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:13 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mike…….

No Marko, not saying that at all, what I am saying is that it is utterly ludicrous for any manager to rotate players at such a rate of knots that they can't ever seriously get into their best rythem, and to leave your Two top scorers on the bench in the same game that you really need to win is poor management, whatever anyone says about Ladapo he has 10 goals this season having played half the games, aside from Chaplin nobody comes close to him in that department.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:48 pm

Swansea have confirmed the recall of forward Morgan Whittaker from his loan at League One leaders Plymouth Argyle.

The move had been widely expected following Swans manager Russell Martin’s comments regarding on-loan Whittaker last night.

Argyle director of football Neil Dewsnip told his club’s website: “We are obviously disappointed that Morgan’s loan has been cut short.

Has a deal been agreed I wonder if is he coming to us on loan he wouldn't get into the Swansea side.

From what I was reading the other day it seems Swansea still owe Town money from the Downes transfer.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:22 pm

Tbh unless we bought Whittaker and gave him a good package , I don’t think he’d be too impressed with being prised away from Plymouth top of the league , and re loaned out to a team that he’s not guaranteed a start

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:13 pm
marko69 wrote:
Mike…….

No Marko, not saying that at all, what I am saying is that it is utterly ludicrous for any manager to rotate players at such a rate of knots that they can't ever seriously get into their best rythem, and to leave your Two top scorers on the bench in the same game that you really need to win is poor management, whatever anyone says about Ladapo he has 10 goals this season having played half the games, aside from Chaplin nobody comes close to him in that department.
Totally agree 100% that any manager has to be looking for his best & settled starting 11. The only thing that makes me spring to his defence is that (huge opinion here) ..., I think he maybe struggles to sometimes see ANY quality in the side to be close to having a settled side. Other than illness, just cannot work out why else he'd be a rotator of players.

At least he's not in the voice hearer Lamberts league of rotation........, yet! That's a huge positive.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:00 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:22 pm
Tbh unless we bought Whittaker and gave him a good package , I don’t think he’d be too impressed with being prised away from Plymouth top of the league , and re loaned out to a team that he’s not guaranteed a start
I don’t think there’s any chance of him coming here on a loan deal Liz, and I can’t see him staying at Swansea either especially after the manager saying they had enough strikers without him suggesting he’d get little game time.

As I said on the the Plymouth Argyle thread I have a strong feeling he’s going to end up at Portman Road which wouldn’t make us very popular with the rest of the league one clubs. I don’t suppose for one minute Plymouth get any say in it but given how desperately the player wanted to stay there I wonder if he’ll try to stall any potential move to town until after the Town v Argyle show down.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:09 pm

Why are we being painted as the bad guys here? We supposedly have made a perfectly legal approach to his parent club,it’s up to them to decide what to do about it! All this big bad Ipswich stuff is a load of rubbish.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:37 pm

Signs for us, scores an injury time winner vs Plymouth, runs the length of the pitch and does a knee slide in front of the away fans….

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:40 pm

Forgetting what colour shirt he’s wearing …. Yes I can see that happening lol !! :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Not really clear on 'bringing in additional attacker/s' in the days and time ahead. Point being we're leading scorers in the division, average what must be two goals a game if the league is anything to go by and we got so many forward options you ask yourself if further additions are even necessary.

We must be doing something right, occupying the top two in the league for the most part and hitting more goals than any other. Trouble is some names get played out of position or don't start from the beginning even when available. Another way of looking at it being together they're productive but no one name really stands out. You don't need a 30 season goal striker to win Championships or gain a promotion and truth be told we don't have one.

I look at players like Bradshaw with Millwall, a name that can contribute and is effective but got to realize they're not going to sell or loan out particularly chasing a promotion opportunity in an above league. Just a player that has taken notice and in an ideal world someone you could wish would be onboard.

Players we got like Aluko, Jackson etc aren't really good enough for a promotion charge even in League One and while they can or do contribute it's with such infrequency they don't really provide any enthusiasm for the time ahead. Chaplin could score if utilized in a full attacking position and others like Pigott, (I don't wish him back) and even Ladapo, the latter could do so much better if paired with more effective names than what we got now.

Can't sign or loan in EPL names, Championship seems unlikely although not outside the realms of business so it leaves League One also and Two with it. There's always non-league / SPL but in truth that's not area we're likely to explore. There does exist there a handful of names that could do a job or nothing to lose by bringing in / taking a chance (on) one of their productive players but as before it's an avenue the club (ITFC) is unlikely to explore.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:08 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:09 pm
Why are we being painted as the bad guys here?
I would point out Whittaker 1 goal for every 193 minutes played and Ladapo is at 1 per 196 minutes. So it's hardly blow the pants off what we've already got. That is without having watched much of him, and it's neglecting that he has 7 assists to Ladapo's 3, or something like that.

Perhaps he can be seen as one for the future at 21, maybe they see the Championship potential in him, but you have to admit that it's not a very imaginative signing, just bring in a player who is doing OK in the league and at the same time weaken a promotion rival, it does take the shine off it somewhat.

Off course I wouldn't give two hoots come the summer if we're up, but if we shell out a load and Plymouth take a risk on another striker, that pays off and they pip us to automatics, well then the egg on our face would be monstrously thick and gloopy. I'm not convinced it's cricket. Unless the guy would have been a legitimate target for Town if he wasn't a Plymouth, but he's joint 7th top scorer in the league, it's not that attractive, it does scream "we're not confident in our ability to beat Plymouth on a level playing field."

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:25 pm

Tbh I’d much rather have the Posh striker Clarke-Harris is it?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:48 pm

Collins from Bristol Rovers, best lower league option out there.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:47 am

Ricco wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:08 pm
bluejacko wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:09 pm
Why are we being painted as the bad guys here?
I would point out Whittaker 1 goal for every 193 minutes played and Ladapo is at 1 per 196 minutes. So it's hardly blow the pants off what we've already got. That is without having watched much of him, and it's neglecting that he has 7 assists to Ladapo's 3, or something like that.

Perhaps he can be seen as one for the future at 21, maybe they see the Championship potential in him, but you have to admit that it's not a very imaginative signing, just bring in a player who is doing OK in the league and at the same time weaken a promotion rival, it does take the shine off it somewhat.

Off course I wouldn't give two hoots come the summer if we're up, but if we shell out a load and Plymouth take a risk on another striker, that pays off and they pip us to automatics, well then the egg on our face would be monstrously thick and gloopy. I'm not convinced it's cricket. Unless the guy would have been a legitimate target for Town if he wasn't a Plymouth, but he's joint 7th top scorer in the league, it's not that attractive, it does scream "we're not confident in our ability to beat Plymouth on a level playing field."
He’s another Chaplin like wide/10, so you’d play ladapo him and chaplin, with more goal threat off the bench in Harness. Goes back to my earlier point where we may just need more goals overall rather than some mythical striker.

Even burns might lose his starting spot but give us more threat later in games off the bench. Yes we are doffing goals but no way near enough for the possession we have, we need a bit more cutting edge in the final third.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:21 am

Eases my hesitation a touch, have had a search for some of his play, a touch casual at times, but big, strong and poses a threat on the edge of the area, which I'm not sure Town have had for a while. I do think surely we have enough of those types, especially with Aluko back, but if he's a step up, then he must have potential at 21.

Everyone is calling for a CB and a ruthless striker, where is our progress on that?!!

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:45 am

Ricco wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:21 am
Eases my hesitation a touch, have had a search for some of his play, a touch casual at times, but big, strong and poses a threat on the edge of the area, which I'm not sure Town have had for a while. I do think surely we have enough of those types, especially with Aluko back, but if he's a step up, then he must have potential at 21.

Everyone is calling for a CB and a ruthless striker, where is our progress on that?!!
Aluko is totally different, I love him as he holds the ball very well, makes smart moves and has quality - ideal for calming a game down when required but IMO he doesn’t score or assist enough, and that’s what we need.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:28 am

Guys, I know this maybe tosh and not worth a look but I took a look on the Pasty lots forum and they were mentioning Matete (Sunderland), a MF, which could be an option for them now that Whittaker has gone.

I know we already have a fairly decent MF but would this lad be worth a look? apparently has some physicality which could be useful, even if it was to be a loan.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:43 am

He is good, but a youngster and we already have our own talented young CM so would t make sense to bring another in. It’ll be Jack Taylor (ie a strong permanent signing) or experienced temp cover (like Lungo or a loan) in my view for that CM position we need (as we only have three for for a long time now).

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:30 pm

Town are targeting Everton striker Nathan Broadhead, who is currently on loan with Championship Wigan.

The 24-year-old has spent the first half of the season on loan with the Latics but with a recall with a view to a permanent move elsewhere understood to be on the cards.

And according to the Sunderland Echo, there is an offer on the table from the Blues for the former Wales U17, U19, U20 and U21 international.

However, they claim Broadhead would ideally prefer a return to Championship Sunderland where he was on loan last season. Whether the Black Cats are interested in a reunion is said to be unclear at this stage.

TWTD understands the Blues have indeed made contact with Everton regarding Broadhead as they look to strengthen their striking ranks during January.

Broadhead was a youth player with hometown side Bangor City and Wrexham before joining Everton’s academy as a 10-year-old.

The 5ft 10in tall frontman has made two senior sub appearances for the Toffeemen but has spent most of the last few seasons out on loan.

In 2019/20 he was with Burton, scoring three times in 15 starts and seven sub appearances, then spent 2021/22 on Wearside, netting 13 goals in 20 starts and seven games from the bench.

He joined Wigan in the summer and so far this season has scored five goals in 11 starts and 11 sub appearances.

Adding a new striker is among the Blues’ main aims during the January window. Brighton’s 18-year-old frontman Evan Ferguson was among those Town had been keeping tabs on, however, the Irish international is now almost certainly out of reach having broken into the Seagulls’ first team, scoring his second goal in two games in his first Premier League start as the Sussex side won 4-1 at Everton last night.

Meanwhile, the Blues remain interested in Swansea forward Morgan Whittaker, who was recalled from his loan spell at Plymouth yesterday, but with no deal currently in progress.

Elsewhere, Peterborough have sacked manager Grant McCann, however, the move would seem unlikely to impact the Blues' pursuit of midfielder Jack Taylor. As reported yesterday, talks between the clubs are continuing.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:08 pm

I think KM should go for someone like Colby Bishop from Pompey as he's a consistent striker and goes in where it hurts and with Cowley gone and Pompey in the mid-table position he might see his chances of promotion better at Ipswich alongside Freddie or even if he signs Clarke- Harris, but with so many strikers options available to KM it will be interesting as to who he picks.

And midfielder Whittaker is a strong possibility of signing for us as Swansea does owe us money from the Flynn Downes sale so to me this is on the cards, BUT a central defender is a must-have situation to tighten up our generous leaky defence.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:36 pm

Clearly we don't know Broadhead but it's a bit of a hmmmm moment from me.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:21 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:08 pm
I think KM should go for someone like Colby Bishop from Pompey as he's a consistent striker and goes in where it hurts and with Cowley gone and Pompey in the mid-table position he might see his chances of promotion better at Ipswich alongside Freddie or even if he signs Clarke- Harris, but with so many strikers options available to KM it will be interesting as to who he picks.

And midfielder Whittaker is a strong possibility of signing for us as Swansea does owe us money from the Flynn Downes sale so to me this is on the cards, BUT a central defender is a must-have situation to tighten up our generous leaky defence.
Agree re Bishop, decent L1 striker, perhaps not one for the future/champ but we need to get out of the league before we think too far ahead.

Re Cb's, who would you replace? For me Burges is a good 'kick it and head it' CB who gives us more aerial presence, and Woofie has good pace, a clever player and someone who can carry the ball out and pick a pass, which in this system is quite important IMO. JD is great as he can play that hybird RB/CB role and is very good 1 on 1.

I.e who do you bring in and what attributes do they have and who drops out *(along with those attributes). Its a tough one for me! I do fully agree we MUST be better at defending as in recent months its been far to easy to score against us. Part of me feels like we should drop back to a back three and just play 2 10's and have Burns less far forward, he can still make runs when needed but Davies is so high up the pitch it's maybe leaving us exposed now.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:53 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:08 pm

Can’t see Whitaker coming here he seems to have in his head it’s our fault he was recalled by Swansea! Still who knows in football🙄

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:02 pm

Tbh I find this a little bit worrying. We seen to have gone from “ deals a good way along “. To “Town show interest in ..,,”, which leaves thinking our primary target (s) are s no go and we’re now scratching around looking for possible signings . This is a MASSIVE transfer window for us as far as I’m concerned.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:09 pm

Got to be patient, if you want quality it doesn’t come easy, it’s only 4 days in - I doubt many clubs have done business yet. Ideally yes we as fans want new players ASAP but I’m sure they club are working hard on deals.

We have 10 days until our next league game at least.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:19 pm

McKenna said he wanted players in asap. I’m assuming he means in this 10 day non league game, period . Especially given Ashtons comment was “ we are away down the line with one or two “ . Here’s hoping we hear something very soon.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:32 pm

I think I heard KM say he'd been fully focused on the league games, when he was asked about transfers.

Agree with you though, the club will want at least one in the door by the Plymouth game - would be mental if it was Whittikar, would add some spice to that match!