January Transfer Window

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

January Transfer Window

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:11 pm

Town are among a host of clubs linked with Crystal Palace forward Jesurun Rak-Sakyi, who is currently on loan at Charlton Athletic.

According to various reports, Town, Millwall, Hull City and Sheffield Wednesday are all interested in the 20-year-old, whose spell at the Valley has a January break clause.

TWTD understands the Blues’ interest in Rak-Sakyi goes no further than the England U20 international being on a list of players who might potentially become a target in January.

Southwark-born Rak-Sakyi began his youth career with Chelsea before moving on to the Eagles.

Rak-Sakyi, who recently signed a Palace contract which runs to 2025, has made 20 starts and two substitute appearances for the Addicks, scoring five times, including the South Londoners’ first in the 4-4 draw with Town in October.

Shed on tour

Re: January Transfer Window

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:45 pm

I see quite a lot of Town fans are saying they would like to see Bonne back. Personally I hope we don’t go down that route again. He hasn’t played hardly any 1st team football this season and his goal scoring record during the 2nd half of his previous loan spell with us was dreadful.
I’m sure that most of these fans would be asking serious questions of Ashton if we were trying to sign a striker with a similar record but wasn’t as they say one of our own.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:15 pm

Bonne didn’t work for KM’s system when he was here, I’ve no reason to believe that would change if he came back.

suspect we might end up with a proven striker at this level plus another youth prospect who can play as an inside forward/10 like TJJ could.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:58 pm

I didn't rate Bonne when he was scoring, nevermind when he wasn't.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:05 pm

I haven’t really got a clue who we are likely to sign. All I know is , we desperately need a striker that can have an impact up front, because non of our current strikers ( centre forwards) really fill me with any hope. Not sure why we’d want another winger ( Charlton player), why? …also no mention of a CB, another position I think we need desperately. …we’ll see soon, but we’ve got some really important points to secure before that window opens. Will we still be second by then I wonder? I hope so. 🤞🤞

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:34 pm

What's your thoughts on Ahadme ? I believe he scored 5 or 6 goals for Burton but because of injury has not had much game time for us, I assume he's not showing enough in training for KMc to start a game with him.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:11 am

I think we need a forward who runs at defenders and creates scoring chances at the top of the penalty box. We’re not gonna score a lot of goals from crosses and headers. KMs game plan doesn’t suit that attacking approach. Definitely feel we need backup in the defensive ranks probably a more experienced CB a bit younger and fit than Keogh.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:52 am

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:34 pm
What's your thoughts on Ahadme ? I believe he scored 5 or 6 goals for Burton but because of injury has not had much game time for us, I assume he's not showing enough in training for KMc to start a game with him.
I did actually give this some thought. He gave us a shed load of problems when we played Burton earlier in the season. I think we bought him on the back of that performance. He offered that bustling old fashioned type of CF that we don’t appear to have. But then I thought again , snd wonder if it’s not about his performance that day, but more, the performance of our defenders ! He’s not been fit for most if his time here ( foot fracture), but when he’s gone in he’s hardly seemed to have troubled opponents defences. So is it more a case of our defence being powder puff in our box or him being a good striker. Having seen our defence perform all season it seems it’s more the poor quality of defenders actual
“defending” rather than his striker abilities.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:19 am

I think I'd give Woolfenden problems

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:16 pm

hmmmm......all this speculation about front players and defenders is very interesting, but given the squad as it stands I think we may need to offload some in order to bring in what we need.

KM's tactics are based around 2 systems - 3-4-2-1 and 4-2-3-1. That tells me (as Number 9 rightly asserts) that we are not needing a traditional centre forward who scores from headers, as the tactics employed are more condusive to goals coming from the supporting forward players.

So for the striking position, we need somebody who can run at players, hold the ball up, create chances for other forward players running off the ball, but who can take the majority of chances that do come his way. I'm not sure if such a player exists, and even if he did I'm not sure we could secure his services. So as far as I'm concerned, this is the most difficult position to fill, if not impossible, and I would not be at all surprised if we stick with what we have.

Central midfield needs no additions, but other forward/wide players are a different story. We need people with the kind of qualities that Chaplin, Edwards, Aluko, and Burns possess, but who are far more consistent. It may be neccesary to offload some of what we have in order to make way for additions, but in my opinion this is the area we need to concentrate on most.

I think we are ok for the wide defensive positions, but we definitely need to improve on the central defence.

So I expect to see one quality central defender coming in, together with 2 number 10/wide players, with possibly one or two departing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:24 pm

I too don't think we'll see a new striker, and for what it's worth I don't believe we need another one, we are where we are with what we have and that is a pretty healthy position, the points we've lost where we shouldn't have lost them are of a defensive nature, get that right and we'll be fine.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:49 pm

As you say, we will need to offload a couple to keep within the rules if we are planning on bringing in any new lads. What is the score with TJJ? is that loan still running or has it be canned due to his injury?

We currently have Gassan and PC who could operate in the roles required so unsure on whether we would bring in any fresh AM's, they certainly need to up their game or fitness, whatever is the issue, we need them fit and firing come the NY push on. As to the wings, who would you have in mind to bring in?

I do agree we def need someone in CB or a DM position to help out, if we can shut up shop at the back then we will be cooking.

As Morsy has mentioned, there will be a freshen up with new blood its just down to who we can get in, probably on loan as if we do get promoted then we will then need to make some strengthening to keep us up there.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:54 pm

TWTD understands former loanee Massimo Luongo is currently training with the Blues squad with Town taking a look at him with a view to potentially re-signing the Australian international when his Middlesbrough contract ends next month.

The 30-year-old is spending a few days with the Blues to allow manager Kieran McKenna to run the rule over him.

Luongo was with Town during the early stages of the 2012/13 campaign on loan from Tottenham - where he will have crossed paths with McKenna - before being sent back to White Hart Lane by Mick McCarthy soon after he took over having made eight starts and three sub appearances, scoring

The Sydney-born midfielder subsequently had spells on loan at Swindon before joining the Robins permanently in 2013.

After two years at the County Ground, he moved on to QPR in 2015, then four years later signed for Sheffield Wednesday.

He left the Owls last summer when he joined Boro on a short-term deal to January, however, he is yet to play a minute for the Teessiders and appears certain to move on when the window opens.

Capped 43 times by Australia, scoring six times, Luongo was in the Socceroos’ squads for the 2014 and 2018 World Cups without featuring in either tournament but scored in the 2-1 Asia Cup victory over South Korea in 2015, however, hasn’t been involved with his national side since 2019.

Town are looking to add to their midfield strength in January with Dom Ball out of action for the season having undergone knee surgery, while Panutche Camara has struggled for fitness since joining the club in the summer from Plymouth Argyle with a hip problem.
Not sure I get this one at all.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:13 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:54 pm
Not sure I get this one at all.
Can't say he's an improvement on what we've got, but I always quite liked him as a player. We always worry about the cards that Morsy picks up, and how it would affect the team if he were to be injured for a spell. If Luongo is fit and playing well, he would be decent squad player to have and add depth to an area where we have picked up a few injuries??

Seems the Wednesday fans thought of him very highly. Thread from April:

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic ... mo-luongo/

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:32 pm

Yeah I guess Morsy needs cover although Evans is now back, it also says to me Camara is a crock and a waste of space in the squad, get rid of Camara, Ball and John-Jules to free up some space.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:58 pm

I think if he does come in , it’s a freebie cover for Ball. Nothing more than that really. As regards Camara if he needs an op on that hip : groin. Just get it done. It’s pointless trying to persevere when it’s not resolving. Up until start if this season he’s was up and running the show at Plymouth.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:19 am
I think I'd give Woolfenden problems
Is that with or without yet step ladder for this high balls into the box .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:02 pm

Just let them bounce, he'd be f*cked.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:02 pm
Tommy Smith comes to mind! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:23 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:12 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:02 pm
Tommy Smith comes to mind! :lol:
God, dunno who's worse.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:40 am

We’ve made another inquiry re Taylor ( Posh ) … so definitely looking at midfielders then …

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... or-enquiry

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:59 pm

This name has popped up before surely ? I can't say I know enough to comment on him tbh.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:09 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:40 am
We’ve made another inquiry re Taylor ( Posh ) … so definitely looking at midfielders then …

The last Taylor (Paul) who came from Posh didn't exactly set the world alight.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:19 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:09 pm
hallamblue wrote:

sh*te to be blunt, a nasty little creep too.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:19 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

Yes, Paul Taylor? He was one sneeze away from organised crime I think.

This Taylor were after us a midfielder and has been very good for Posh. I’m not convinced we’d get him tbh but I’d like their other player , Clarke-Harris is it?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:44 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:35 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:19 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:

Yes, Paul Taylor? He was one sneeze away from organised crime I think.

This Taylor were after us a midfielder and has been very good for Posh. I’m not convinced we’d get him tbh but I’d like their other player , Clarke-Harris is it?

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23207954.i ... ck-taylor/

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:36 pm

Looks like we will need another MF anyway😳

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/548684/cam ... surgery/#0

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:40 pm

Just seen the fitness update and good news a few are coming back in.....

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... of-numbers

PC has had another Op and could be back end of the season, that's almost a whole year of him not playing. I personally think we should let him go and take the hit, think he is another sicknote. Team numbers matter and he is taking up valuable space, would he better out on loan when fit? if we do make it up can anyone see him being any good at Championship level?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:47 pm

Camara is a total sicknote, I've never really understood the signing tbh, very mixed messages from Plymouth fans at the time, time to offload.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:29 pm

It’s easy to say let PC go and take the hit when it’s not our money. I don’t know how long his contract runs for but if you take into account the fee we paid for him and to pay up his contract I would imagine you would be talking about a fair sum of money. I can’t see any other club taking him on at present.
I knew he had been injured at Plymouth with a groin injury but didn’t realise that he had already had a operation on it. Questions might need to be asked by those in power of why the severity of this injury wasn’t picked up during his medical.