January Transfer Window

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: January Transfer Window

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:56 pm

Glad we have said no, on his day he can be unplayable but he has been quite in and out for us, not helped by a lengthy spell out injured. As an impact player I would definitely keep him, how good is it that we can finally say no.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:45 pm

Usually any first bid is to "test the waters". Depending on what other irons Hull (and other clubs) have in the fire, I'd expect a second, possibly 3rd bid (which might match our valuation) to come in. Every player has their price and if Edwards going (which incidentally I wouldn't want to see) made room for a classy last minute signing ....

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23285696.i ... -rejected/

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:28 pm

I’d only be happy to see us sell him if we got Whittaker in.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:54 pm

Zero chance of him coming here

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:40 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:54 pm
Zero chance of him coming here
Good, I don't rate him above what we have, and we have 6234 forwards of similar calibre last time I counted.

Shame if Edwards goes, but if good money, then that it is how decent clubs are run, we signed him on a free and at an age young enough to make decent money after he proved his quality. Gone are the days of the Stephen Hunts and Jimmy Bullards of this world, we're doing things right now, that has to be celebrated. Do I have to shout and scream about how poorly things were run under McCarthy, not all his fault, but the bloke's an arrogant idiot and I'll keep banging on about it :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:15 pm

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:16 pm

Hope he sticks one on the Owls for us ….

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:06 pm

The biggest shock for me is Man City releasing Cancelo to Bayern Munich initially on a loan deal that will most likely become permanent in the summer. There’s certainly no messing when it comes to Pep and if you don’t like it you can F off. Cancelo has been a regular automatic pick since joining City in 2019 but hasn’t been since returning with his WC winners medal from Qatar.

There was a brief discussion on the board yesterday about Chelsea paying £105m for a defender and how the business model can or can’t work. If you take Cancelo as an example, his fee in 2019 was circa £61m which was huge at the time, and it’s almost the same amount City will get back when they sell him. This means his services have cost only his wages during which time City have won numerous trophies. From this angle you can see how it can work, I guess the problem comes when you spend huge amounts and win nothing, or you get it wrong and your asset doesn’t live up to expectations eg Romelu Lukaku (Inter - Chelsea) and Jack Grealish ( Villa - Man City)

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:36 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:06 pm
The biggest shock for me is Man City releasing Cancelo to Bayern Munich initially on a loan deal that will most likely become permanent in the summer. There’s certainly no messing when it comes to Pep and if you don’t like it you can F off. Cancelo has been a regular automatic pick since joining City in 2019 but hasn’t been since returning with his WC winners medal from Qatar.

There was a brief discussion on the board yesterday about Chelsea paying £105m for a defender and how the business model can or can’t work. If you take Cancelo as an example, his fee in 2019 was circa £61m which was huge at the time, and it’s almost the same amount City will get back when they sell him. This means his services have cost only his wages during which time City have won numerous trophies. From this angle you can see how it can work, I guess the problem comes when you spend huge amounts and win nothing, or you get it wrong and your asset doesn’t live up to expectations eg Romelu Lukaku (Inter - Chelsea) and Jack Grealish ( Villa - Man City)
I was shocked as he has been SO good, does seem odd but like you say maybe they wanted to get the cash back from him.

It can work if done well, didn't Brentford sell 50m of players the summer before they got prompted from the championship? Just kept buying smart, selling on, re-investing etc.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:00 pm

What do people think about Teti Yengi? Seems Leyton Orient are in for him. Obviously he doesn't appear to have a hope in hell of getting near our first team, but would you cash in on him now, for what would be a very small fee, or would you loan him out until the end of the season?

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:02 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:00 pm
What do people think about Teti Yengi? Seems Leyton Orient are in for him. Obviously he doesn't appear to have a hope in hell of getting near our first team, but would you cash in on him now, for what would be a very small fee, or would you loan him out until the end of the season?
At 22 I'd cash in now, just ensure the sell on fee is decent. Unlikely to suddenly become a world beater, but if he does and goes for a good fee in his next move then at least we coin it in.

Maybe I've played too much Football manager.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:25 pm

Ah he has signed a new deal and been loaned to Northampton :)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:36 pm

Charnwood wrote:

Suppose knowing the exact amount of dough coming in would help understanding the EPL soccer business model. Because to me it just seems like no model. Its just rich people pumping cash in as its a "play thing". A Chelsea squad made up of players worth (on average) £50M - £70M? Then you've got the squads weekly wages etc etc which are rising to stupid levels. Can't see gate money or merch coming anywhere near close to being enough to cover it. I mean we all know the masses run at a big loss......., but the EPL? ......., are they getting millions, or billions from Sky dough?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:02 pm

shabba wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:25 pm
Ah he has signed a new deal and been loaned to Northampton :)
Thinking about it, that makes perfect sense. Don't imagine that the Finnish top flight is anything special, however 7 goals and 11 assists in 27 games isn't a bad return.
A new contract to 2024 is a good insurance policy. Teti's contract was up at the end of this season, we could've got a nominal fee selling him now or lost him for nothing when his contract expired. If he now goes to Northampton and plunders a return similar to his stats from Finland then his value could go up!

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:21 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:36 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Suppose knowing the exact amount of dough coming in would help understanding the EPL soccer business model. Because to me it just seems like no model. Its just rich people pumping cash in as its a "play thing". A Chelsea squad made up of players worth (on average) £50M - £70M? Then you've got the squads weekly wages etc etc which are rising to stupid levels. Can't see gate money or merch coming anywhere near close to being enough to cover it. I mean we all know the masses run at a big loss......., but the EPL? ......., are they getting millions, or billions from Sky dough?
Can’t see how Chelsea are making a profit, but maybe the weird way they got sold /debt cleared enables them to now get in debt again? (Not that it’s a good idea).

PL clubs all get around 90m tv money a season, some more millions in prize money (can’t recall but it’s not insane, possible 10-30m range). I think champions league is another 20m minimum- maybe upto 40-50m for a good run.

Then sponsorship could add another 100m plus a season for big clubs and gate money etc, so it does add up a lot …..but trust me that soon goes it your wage bill is 2-3m per week.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:37 pm

Ahadme goes back to Burton on loan. Good move for all concerned.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23290399.i ... loan-move/

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:57 pm

marko69 wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

All EPL clubs receive a flat payment for domestic and overseas tv rights which last season was circa £80m each. On top of that they receive additional payments related to the number of games televised for each club, plus prize money based on their end of season league position. Last season the EPL winners Manchester City received close to £164m whilst the bottom club Norwich received circa £100m.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:03 pm

shabba wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:21 pm
marko69 wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Can’t see how Chelsea are making a profit, but maybe the weird way they got sold /debt cleared enables them to now get in debt again? (Not that it’s a good idea).

PL clubs all get around 90m tv money a season, some more millions in prize money (can’t recall but it’s not insane, possible 10-30m range). I think champions league is another 20m minimum- maybe upto 40-50m for a good run.

Then sponsorship could add another 100m plus a season for big clubs and gate money etc, so it does add up a lot …..but trust me that soon goes it your wage bill is 2-3m per week.

I think Chelsea’s total revenue in 2021/22 was circa £500m. When the new owners completed the purchase they expressed an ambition to double it to £1bn within 5 years. Having just spent almost £200m on two players in the January window they’ll be lucky if they’re still solvent in 5 years.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:57 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:03 pm
Having just spent almost £200m on two players in the January window they’ll be lucky if they’re still solvent in 5 years.
Yep, and thats really all my initial point was about. And the original Glasgow Rangers do not exist anymore. The new Sevco Rangers already in piles of debt after Stevie G ….. no lessons learnt whatsoever.
And £105M for ONE with your calculated £500M income. Crazy.

Massively smaller equivalent of me having one job in the diary, and that job is to re-washer a set of bath taps…… but employing 5 guys to do it. Yep. That’ll work.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:05 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:57 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:03 pm
Having just spent almost £200m on two players in the January window they’ll be lucky if they’re still solvent in 5 years.
Yep, and thats really all my initial point was about. And the original Glasgow Rangers do not exist anymore. The new Sevco Rangers already in piles of debt after Stevie G ….. no lessons learnt whatsoever.
And £105M for ONE with your calculated £500M income. Crazy.

Massively smaller equivalent of me having one job in the diary, and that job is to re-washer a set of bath taps…… but employing 5 guys to do it. Yep. That’ll work.

What a deal for Benfica tho Marko. They only paid £8.8m for him in June 2022 and he’s played just 17 games for them scoring 1 goal. In fact he’s only played 71 Senior games in his whole career including 14 on loan. That’s some return on Capital for Benfica.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:03 am

Yes, Benfica have hit the jackpot there. :shock:

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:22 pm

Looks like Ben Morris is off to Detroit City let's hope he stays fit and does well.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:39 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:22 pm
Looks like Ben Morris is off to Detroit City let's hope he stays fit and does well.
He should be alright as long as he doesn’t drink the water. :wink: