January Transfer Window

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

Re: January Transfer Window

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:58 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:46 am
Humphreys is young but perfectly able as back up. Strengthening areas that don't need Strengthening.
Exactly and does this mean that he will now fall down the pecking order with this signing? I think young Humphreys is a prime example of how you want a player to push for a first team place. Yes he knows that he is not going to be first choice at the moment but he is putting pressure on the those players in his position which in turn will make them keep up their level of performance.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:04 am

I bloody hope not. I have been the one saying all season we will go up as champions and at the moment I stand by that, however, and yes I know its only 6 days into the window, but if we don't strengthen defensively it will be the lottery of play offs.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:10 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:04 am
I bloody hope not. I have been the one saying all season we will go up as champions and at the moment I stand by that, however, and yes I know its only 6 days into the window, but if we don't strengthen defensively it will be the lottery of play offs.
Going off topic for a moment. Are you going to the game tomorrow? If so we can have a good moan about things before kickoff! :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:14 am

Yes I will be there lol, how dare you, I don't moan lmao 😂

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Humphreys is young but perfectly able as back up. Strengthening areas that don't need Strengthening.
he is ONE backup for TWO positions. What if you have 1 injury and 1 suspension = ONE player to cover both. You ALWAYS want 2 players for each position.

Going into 22 games with only 3 fit CM's is a huge risk. Why take that risk when you have an experienced player who you (the manager) know and has been playing in a top 6 side for 25 games last season, on an easy end of year contact etc. No brainer!

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:09 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:58 am
Bluemike wrote:
Exactly and does this mean that he will now fall down the pecking order with this signing? I think young Humphreys is a prime example of how you want a player to push for a first team place. Yes he knows that he is not going to be first choice at the moment but he is putting pressure on the those players in his position which in turn will make them keep up their level of performance.
IMO he will still be 3rd place in the pecking order, but may also now be used as a number 10 on occasions too as he has shown he can also do that role (i.e last weekend).

I don't mean to be harsh but it baffles me if people cannot see the sense in the signing of another backup CM. If Morsy/Evans got injured now you'd all moan we have zero cover if Huympreys then has an issue or if we need to make subs etc.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:45 pm

The point is there are far more areas in need of cover, in any case I would say Morsy, Evans, Humphreys, Aluko, Harness, Edwards, Chaplin can all do a pretty decent job in Midfield, not only that the guy we have signed is potentially another sicknote if recent history is anything to go by. I also can't help but feel the Taylor transfer has gone tits up so we've gone for what is easily available.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:52 pm

We might have to strengthen much if our two main rivals continue to lose their influential loanees as they’re recalled by their parent clubs.

I wonder how much the loss of that CB will affect Sheff Weds, or Whittaker, Plymouth?

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:45 pm
The point is there are far more areas in need of cover, in any case I would say Morsy, Evans, Humphreys, Aluko, Harness, Edwards, Chaplin can all do a pretty decent job in Midfield, not only that the guy we have signed is potentially another sicknote if recent history is anything to go by. I also can't help but feel the Taylor transfer has gone tits up so we've gone for what is easily available.
Exactly - the days of us using a dedicated holding midfield player (such as Skuse) are long gone - I wouldnt describe either Morsy or Evans as just a holding midfielder, they are all-round midfield players and the other players you mention can also come into this category

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:
I bloody hope not. I have been the one saying all season we will go up as champions and at the moment I stand by that, however, and yes I know its only 6 days into the window, but if we don't strengthen defensively it will be the lottery of playoffs.
Mike, Ex Cardiff Captain Sean Morrison fits the bill as a quality CB only 31 and still got plenty of life left in him and he's available on a free :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:17 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:07 pm
Bluemike wrote:
I bloody hope not. I have been the one saying all season we will go up as champions and at the moment I stand by that, however, and yes I know its only 6 days into the window, but if we don't strengthen defensively it will be the lottery of playoffs.
Mike, Ex Cardiff Captain Sean Morrison fits the bill as a quality CB only 31 and still got plenty of life left in him and he's available on a free :D
He's certainly the type of player we need in.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Imo spot on regarding Midfield cover. A couple of weeks ago Ashton said a few deals were down the line, I imagine Luondo was one, but it makes you wonder if others have stalled and we are having to look into other options.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:17 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
He's certainly the type of player we need in.
Some Sheffield Wednesday fans are saying they should get him in to replace McGuinness.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:04 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:09 am
I really hope he proves me wrong but for me it's a nothing signing, just amassing more players.
Certainly my initial reaction.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:34 pm

tried to read the Luongo signing on TWTD, but it were say, problematic. Were with us 10 years ago but don't quite recall his time here, must have been a brief spell or hardly used at the time. Didn't know he represented Australia, thought we had brought in an Italian or something. Seriously, don't recall his time with us back when.

Reaction seemed positive. General consensus being one of could be a pivotial figure in midfield or part of a missing piece of the promotion jigsaw. Some weren't so in awe of the player coming back, probably be they couldn't recall his time here or had no proper judgment on the player. That's a fair analysis.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:51 pm

I'm sure the Luongo thing is being talked about far too much, I've not read anything, but I'm sure it's short term, I'm sure it's relatively cheap. If he doesn't do a lot, then so what, but if he increases competition, pushes for a place in the team, lightens the load of the first team or covers for suspensions or injuries towards the end of the season, then he could be invaluable.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:54 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Then its a round peg in a square hole! AND hurts/depletes the position they would normally play in. I just don't get the negativity, Shef Weds fans say he is a v good league one/lower champ player and they loved him last season.

Why NOT have him, he wont be costing much, we have the squad space as we can de-register Camara + Ball and he is only needed for 6 months as cover.
Then if some major issues come up in CM we have that cover - and dont need to f**k about putting an attacking player in there and losing the benefit of them further up the field.

YES of course we need cover elsewhere and that WILL be addressed also.

Re Taylor yes its likely not possible to get him, so they are now likely saving the money spent on him, taking this easier CM option and spending cash on Broadhead or such instead. Sometimes its about juggling options and seeing what works out overall. Much as we have money, we wont be spending it in a non-sensible way.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:58 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:54 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Then its a round peg in a square hole! AND hurts/depletes the position they would normally play in. I just don't get the negativity, Shef Weds fans say he is a v good league one/lower champ player and they loved him last season.

Why NOT have him, he wont be costing much, we have the squad space as we can de-register Camara + Ball and he is only needed for 6 months as cover.
Then if some major issues come up in CM we have that cover - and dont need to f**k about putting an attacking player in there and losing the benefit of them further up the field.

Not all Sheffield Wednesday fans think that trust me. Time will tell if its a good signing or not, hopefully I am eating my words in a few weeks time. Its not exactly square pegs in round holes though is it, a attacking midfielder should be more than capable of filling in in CM, if indeed it's ever gonna be needed.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:00 pm

Given Morsy propinquity to get himself banned during a season, I’d say he’ll be good experienced cover. Looks like McKenna definitely wants Hurst , but I do wonder which players will be in their way out to make room for these squad additions. The ones out on loan won’t surely affect who we have named in our 25, is it? So assuming the injured players will be dropped from that squad ( Camara, Ball, JJ), who else could be dropped , assuming we are going to get in a striker, midfielder, winger …. And God forbid a defender!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:39 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:00 pm
Given Morsy propinquity to get himself banned during a season, I’d say he’ll be good experienced cover. Looks like McKenna definitely wants Hurst , but I do wonder which players will be in their way out to make room for these squad additions. The ones out on loan won’t surely affect who we have named in our 25, is it? So assuming the injured players will be dropped from that squad ( Camara, Ball, JJ), who else could be dropped , assuming we are going to get in a striker, midfielder, winger …. And God forbid a defender!!
What a great word. 👍👌👏👏👏👏

Nothing to add from a football angle, as per usual! :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:43 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:54 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Re Taylor yes its likely not possible to get him, so they are now likely saving the money spent on him, taking this easier CM option and spending cash on Broadhead or such instead. Sometimes its about juggling options and seeing what works out overall. Much as we have money, we wont be spending it in a non-sensible way.
Hopefully. Especially when its unknown Americans retirement money.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:54 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:00 pm
It'll be fine, as we can de-register 2 and young players and keepers don't count, so we have space. Some will be out of contract/sold in the summer, loans returned so we will also be fine for then too.

I suspect we'll end up with 3-4 additions in total, this short term CM, plus 1 or 2 signings and 1 or 2 loans.

ijjysmith

Post by ijjysmith » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:06 pm

I see we’ve recalled Broadhead from his Wigan loan.

Word is he’s off to you guys on a permanent.

He’ll do ok for you I’m sure. He works his socks off.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:20 pm

ijjysmith wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:06 pm

Thank you for that. I like the endorsement too.

ijjysmith

Post by ijjysmith » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:22 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:20 pm
ijjysmith wrote:

Thank you for that. I like the endorsement too.
Hope we let you have the boy Cannon too. He really will be something one day, but unless we get any reinforcements in (looking terribly unlikely) he’ll have to stay for a bit.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:44 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Ash, looks like Morrison might be on his way to Plymouth.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:32 pm

Just seen this line from Phil Ham TWTD…

Hirst on 20:51 - Jan 6 by PhilTWTD

Wouldn't surprise me, wasn't far off happening on Thursday, not sure what the hold-up has been.

marko , you KNOW my typo errors are legendary :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:35 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:44 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Shed, I was just thinking how I’d love to have the Cardiff CB whose just returned to them from his loan spell at Sheffield Wednesday… McGunniess is it? He was here for a short spell when he was at Arsenal. He looked like a very good prospect, then he signed for Cardiff. I think him and Burgess would be a defensive improvement.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:37 pm

ijjysmith wrote:

Fits the McKenna type of player then. Hope this happens. 👍

Good luck for rest of the season btw. Can you see your manager seeing the season out?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:43 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:35 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:44 pm
ashfordblue wrote:

Shed, I was just thinking how I’d love to have the Cardiff CB whose just returned to them from his loan spell at Sheffield Wednesday… McGunniess is it? He was here for a short spell when he was at Arsenal. He looked like a very good prospect, then he signed for Cardiff. I think him and Burgess would be a defensive improvement.
A lot of Wednesday fans appear to be gutted that Cardiff have recalled him. Think he has won their last 2 player of the month awards.