January Transfer Window

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Re: January Transfer Window

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:34 pm

We must have a real pick of scoring options now. Some names are going to be dead weight for what's left of the season. Not sure when Pigott returns from the loan out but in truth don't wish him back. Names like Jackson for starters either don't feature all too often or don't seem prolific enough for a team chasing an automatic promotion. You could add Aluko and / or Ahadme into it but it's all about you view the situation.

Broadhead and Hirst have really got some competition if they're to start games in a forward position. McKenna's insistence on playing one in attack every damn game can only cause additional problems to these new kids getting a start. It's not rocket science, all right Chaplin's doing great for us albeit in a midfield position so leave it be, but simply deploy a two / three player attack for future fixtures if not only for an experimental chance.

We got some great alternatives in theory. Ladapo / Broadhead / Jules, Ladapo / Aluko / Chaplin (if moved back to his natural position), Hirst / Ladapo / Jackson etc, the possibilities are endless with the players on club roster right now but once again some names seem destined to be moved on / loaned out / surplus to the clubs ambition for the rest of season etc.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:39 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:24 am
number 9 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:41 pm
How many clean sheets have we had compared to other teams?
Walton has essentially the 8th best record in the league when it comes to clean sheets, 9 from 25.
Cheers! I think we were much higher during the first half of the season.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:48 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:34 pm
We must have a real pick of scoring options now. Some names are going to be dead weight for what's left of the season. Not sure when Pigott returns from the loan out but in truth don't wish him back. Names like Jackson for starters either don't feature all too often or don't seem prolific enough for a team chasing an automatic promotion. You could add Aluko and / or Ahadme into it but it's all about you view the situation.

Broadhead and Hirst have really got some competition if they're to start games in a forward position. McKenna's insistence on playing one in attack every damn game can only cause additional problems to these new kids getting a start. It's not rocket science, all right Chaplin's doing great for us albeit in a midfield position so leave it be, but simply deploy a two / three player attack for future fixtures if not only for an experimental chance.

We got some great alternatives in theory. Ladapo / Broadhead / Jules, Ladapo / Aluko / Chaplin (if moved back to his natural position), Hirst / Ladapo / Jackson etc, the possibilities are endless with the players on club roster right now but once again some names seem destined to be moved on / loaned out / surplus to the clubs ambition for the rest of season etc.
Some good points there, but I don't see KM changing tactics completely. If anything, he'll reserve a shift to a more attacking line up late in the second half...especially if we need another goal. I was also wondering what these latest additions mean for Jackson. I'm guessing he'll still be used as a back up for Burns. Is Ahadme still injured? We haven't heard much about him of late. We certainly don't need Porkbarrel-Pigott to return and don't forget arana, Jules' loan has been cancelled due to his injury I believe.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:52 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:27 am
number 9 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:41 pm
How many clean sheets have we had compared to other teams? I still think we’re ok defensively, we just need to score more goals to ease the pressure on KMs insistence on attacking wing backs. You’re always gonna be vulnerable if your defenders are going forward, so you have to score more goals. I can see a few tennis scores on the horizon with our new additions. How bout a few 4-3 wins for a change? Just sayin
Exactly No 9, if you score more goals than your opponents you win. It just becomes tricky when you can’t get that 2nd goal and maybe that’s what McKenna is trying it insure against with his latest two signings.
Yep that's what I'm thinking. That approach also matches the ManUtd style guide which KM obviously still has embedded in his philosophy. Hope it works. We need to be scoring more goals to finish off games and ease the pressure on our defence.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:34 pm

True, but our defence is the weakest link in my view. We should be able to defend a 1-0 lead shouldn’t we.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:48 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:34 pm
True, but our defence is the weakest link in my view. We should be able to defend a 1-0 lead shouldn’t we.
we should be able to Liz, but I hope to God that those are not the tactics we employ. I don't want to see us defending a one goal lead - that's boring - I'd rather see us win 3-1 or 4-2 than 1-0 any day of the week, and looking at the attacking options we now have I wouldn't be surprised to see no defensive signing at all and KM relying on our goal creating/scoring power.
Last edited by rossi on Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:49 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:34 pm

Even with the best defence in League One we’re never going to keep clean sheets every game Liz, it just doesn’t happen.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:13 pm

Oh I agree, but I doubt teams promoted give away soft goals every game either.

As long as we win games that’s alright but when margins are fine , ie v Plymouth and Sheff Weds we can’t afford to give these teams any help at all. I don’t trust our defence I suppose that’s the crux of it 🤷‍♀️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:22 pm

We all know our defence is capable of making calamitous errors which have proved very costly, but lack of being able to put the game to bed with a second goal has been equally as costly. The answer of course is to either fix the defence, score more goals, or fix both. Maybe we will still sign that elusive Central Defender but even if we don’t we have taken a giant step to fix 50% of the problem.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:54 pm

Scoring goals every week is great, we all want that but it just doesn't happen, Liz is right in that sometimes 1-0 needs to be enough, against Fleetwood at home it certainly should have been but we couldn't f**king defend it. Two classic examples, the Great Liverpool and Arsenal sides who won it all by being able to defend a 1-0 scoreline. If we don't sign another CB we will have problems making Top Two, all these strikers won't be on the pitch at the same time and as such the problem probably still remains.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:26 am

Mike I think it was under Joe Royale's managership that we used the philosophy you score 3 we'll score 4 certainly livened up the games

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:07 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:26 am
Mike I think it was under Joe Royale's managership that we used the philosophy you score 3 we'll score 4 certainly livened up the games
it was indeed - and I don't remember many people on the various forums complaining about giving goals away in those days.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:14 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:54 pm
Scoring goals every week is great, we all want that but it just doesn't happen, Liz is right in that sometimes 1-0 needs to be enough, against Fleetwood at home it certainly should have been but we couldn't f**king defend it. Two classic examples, the Great Liverpool and Arsenal sides who won it all by being able to defend a 1-0 scoreline. If we don't sign another CB we will have problems making Top Two, all these strikers won't be on the pitch at the same time and as such the problem probably still remains.
But Mike, I thought we created a shedload of chances every game? Had we have put even a reasonable percentage of them away, we would be clear at the top by some margin. Defending a 1 goal lead should never be an option, no matter who you are playing - an opponent will have forward players who are paid to score goals and there is also the fluke element and also poor refereeing decisions - better to be at least 2 in front in case something goes wrong. IMO, BFJ had the right philosophy - he didnt mind if whoever we were playing scored twice as long as we scored 3

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:14 am

Gary, yes we do create loads of chances every single game and as such we should score more, but as we all know occasionally for whatever reason goals don't come, it's those occasions when we need the defence to do their bit, our defence in truth is average at best, we have 2 players on course for 20 goals this season, that's pretty good considering they are in the f**king dugout half the time :lol:

Somebody recently said we had slipped back from the start of the season when we were top, a glance at the results shows we kept 6 clean sheets in the first 9 games and that is why we were top and why we aren't now, the striking department hasn't changed.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:24 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:14 am
Gary, yes we do create loads of chances every single game and as such we should score more, but as we all know occasionally for whatever reason goals don't come, it's those occasions when we need the defence to do their bit, our defence in truth is average at best, we have 2 players on course for 20 goals this season, that's pretty good considering they are in the f**king dugout half the time :lol:

Somebody recently said we had slipped back from the start of the season when we were top, a glance at the results shows we kept 6 clean sheets in the first 9 games and that is why we were top and why we aren't now, the striking department hasn't changed.
And in those first 9 league games we scored 18 goals averaging 2 per game - that may be why we had 6 clean sheets, cos opponents were more occupied in trying to stop us scoring than they were on scoring themselves. Of course, we can all manipulate stats to show our own opinions in a good light, but I maintain that trying to score goals is the best way to win a game and is far more entertaining for the crowd

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:30 am

Absolutely it's the best way, never disagree with that, I'm just saying when the goals don't come a scrappy 1-0 should be an option, especially against p*ss poor teams who create one bloody chance and score. .. Fleetwood, Lincoln etc.

In the second 9 games, we scored 17 goals, a mere 1 less but kept only 1 clean sheet, that speaks volumes.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:59 am

I see it as we are somewhat underachieving in our conversion rate, as well as our goals against conversion rate.

i.e simply put we need too many chances to score and we leak too many goals for the few chances we give opponents.

Ideally both need to be addressed, but we are still doing fairly well overall it's good we create so many chances and concede so few chances, that is at least a good starting point.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:40 pm

A bid for Morgan Whiter has been rejected by Swansea I wonder if it's from Town 🤔

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:47 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:40 pm
A bid for Morgan Whiter has been rejected by Swansea I wonder if it's from Town 🤔
Might be Plymouth.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:01 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:47 pm
Cabanas Blue wrote:
Might be Plymouth.
I think they had bids rejected before he returned to Swansea and Plymouth have signed 5 players already.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:07 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:01 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Cabanas Blue wrote:
Might be Plymouth.
I think they had bids rejected before he returned to Swansea and Plymouth have signed 5 players already.
I still wouldn’t rule them out of the running for his signature. Could be a Championship club even, I would be surprised if we got him but you never know in football, as they say money talks.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:57 pm

Been confirmed it wasn't us.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:01 pm

Gassan Ahadme could be leaving on loan back to Burton.

Might get him some regular minutes on the pitch

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... loan-talks

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:07 am

Turned out to be a disappointing and pointless signing

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:03 am

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:01 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Cabanas Blue wrote:
Might be Plymouth.
That’s a lot of players into the their squad, for a relatively small club isn’t it. We know from our own experience, that lots of news faces take time to settle, can / do upset the flow and ultimately don’t always work. To me it comes across as an excessive response to losing Whittaker, and almost a desperation last ditch attempt to hold onto top spot.

Part of me actually want them to get promotion because they’ve missed out on previous seasons. Maybe it’s their time now? I’d love us snd Plymouth to both go up, but desperate though our position is, maybe it’s just one season to early for us when considering the massive changes that have happened at Town over the last 12months. It’d be some outcome if we achieved promotion in Gamechangers first season in control would it!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:04 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:07 am
Maybe Kieron watched a completely pointless YouTube reel of the guy beforehand ….. thought, “he’s the business!”…… then thought, “WTF” @ training.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:22 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:04 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:07 am

Maybe Kieron watched a completely pointless YouTube reel of the guy beforehand ….. thought, “he’s the business!”…… then thought, “WTF” @ training.
To be fair it probably didn’t help with the guy getting injured soon after arriving here. I was at the game at Burton earlier in the season and he did play very well that night although you could argue it was against our defence. I hope that KM didn’t just base his decision to sign him on that though. Hopefully, we can sort something out with Burton as that is the only club he can back out on loan to this season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:50 pm

Yep. I was mainly joking about YouTube reels and hoping it wasn’t one of those Kieron was watching. They can be geared to make people look great or terrible. YouTube reels of Ronaldos greatness, but also YouTube reels of Ronaldos sitters.

https://youtu.be/4MRFD9bUP4M

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:34 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:50 pm
Yep. I was mainly joking about YouTube reels and hoping it wasn’t one of those Kieron was watching. They can be geared to make people look great or terrible. YouTube reels of Ronaldos greatness, but also YouTube reels of Ronaldos sitters.

https://youtu.be/4MRFD9bUP4M
I know those YouTube reels can make any signing look great. There must be one somewhere out there that makes Tamas look great. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:15 pm

The guy is a legend!

https://youtu.be/hkQKnbuevgw