The Green'un

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

AzzurroMark

The Green'un

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:02 am

Fabulous piece from the EADT today and got me thinking to how things were very different not so long ago.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23208065.g ... r-printed/

The above statement made, but there's a whole new generation of football fans who will not be able to comprehend the eager anticipation of the local sports "bible" arriving at their newsagents! The steady throng of regulars waiting for the delivery van to arrive!
For me, initially, my read was the Pink'un. Living in South Norfolk, it was sometimes the only way of getting to hear how my local team had done, if they'd been playing away. Then one day I realised I could order a copy of the Green'un and I would look forward to reading it on a Sunday morning. Have still got a couple of significant copies stashed away somewhere!

For me it brought a big hint of nostalgia, hopefully many of you will have tales to tell? Those were certainly great days, but we shouldn't lament at their passing too much, as "modern" technology has opened up new horizons, allowing us to discuss all things football with people we may never be fortunate enough to meet.

Mauswara

Re: The Green'un

Post by Mauswara » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:40 am

I remember it well with the green newsprint, the local newsagent was right next to the station and a bundle of Green'uns would be dropped off as the local evening train from Ipswich came through. Dad would get me to shoot down to the newsagents on my bike and pick up a copy fresh of the train. Must have been late '60s.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:10 am

I used to deliver the Green'un on a Saturday evening, My round took me bloody hours as I spent most of the time reading it instead of posting it through the doors !! I used to have to deliver one to the Mulberry Tree pub at the bottom of Woodbridge Road where they had a sodding Great Dane the size of a horse, used to scare the sh*t out of me.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:59 pm

Wasn't aware there were a tabloid publication for it at some time or another. Just always known the website and even now when last looked it wasn't on-line i.e. they had taken it down. The Pink Un however seems still operational, kind of begs the question why they still got their version and us not ours.

Don't use the EADT / TWTD pages much, point being you can obtain Town news from just about anyplace now. Hell a squirrel in Christchurch Park could tell you all you need to know about day to day operation at the club from price of beverage to availability of merchandise within team club shop. Newspapers and items such should be going the way of obsolete in the future ahead, given enough time.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:15 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:10 am
I used to deliver the Green'un on a Saturday evening, My round took me bloody hours as I spent most of the time reading it instead of posting it through the doors !! I used to have to deliver one to the Mulberry Tree pub at the bottom of Woodbridge Road where they had a sodding Great Dane the size of a horse, used to scare the sh*t out of me.
Very similar, but different for me. My buddy Steven delivered The Edinburgh Pink News around the Southhouse / Burdiehouse area on a Saturday around 6pm. Would tag along with him…….. and read all the reports in some poor guys paper. 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:47 pm

I got the sack from my newspaper round because I often didn’t go back to shop to delivery the Green Un’s (people would cover your evening star round but wouldn’t often stay late for green un).

So on Saturday home games I’d manage to get cover for the Evening Star delivery but was still at PR (since the only way home was via one of the many buses parked outside the ground after the game), Id never get back in time to do the delivery, and knowing I wouldn’t make it (and being just 13yr, with no sense of responsibility), I’d often used to not go back to the shop anyway.

So finally, The newsagent had had enough and said,” if you fail to turn up for the next green Un delivery, you’re out” ….. Next weekend Town were at home to Liverpool (my 2nd team in those days) . Needless to say , I didn’t make the green un delivery.

Sunday morning , I walked down to the shop and handed over my newspaper bag, turned and walked out, never saying a word, nor did the Newsagent. Seems I was a rebel, even at 13yrs old lol !

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:27 am

I used to love the green 'un and read it every week. I loved the local league (pub team) roundups as I played in those leagues and we always had a write up. So good to feel part of the local set up from Town to the local lads down the pub. Happy days and sorely missed now.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:04 am

My dad used to drop one round to me in the evening as an excuse to come and see me. Then, when I left Suffolk he used to pop one in the post to me every week, even when we were stationed overseas! He also, up until last year when he passed away, used to send the double spread Fixture list out of the EADT and pull out bits on ITFC they did. I missed getting that envelope this year so much!