League 1 - Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A tough 3 points to win?

Portsmouth Win
6%
Ipswich Win
63%
Draw
31%

Total votes: 16

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:44 pm
Blue Wilf wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:42 pm
Tough game negotiated - still second. Take it and move on... we will still win this league...👍
This is what I want to read !! I'll take the point tonight
I would LOVE to say this too, but I can’t with the way we give goals away and struggle to take our chances.

We’ll see who we bring in .

Come on Town 💙

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:48 pm

Let's hope Portsmouth try as hard against Sheff Wed & Plymouth? Bastards :shock:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:57 pm

I’ve just said on twtd itlll be interesting to see how those two teams do at Fratton Park.

We’re now neck n neck with Sheffield. It used to be a 5 point gap. And Plymouth are edging away from both of us.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:03 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:57 pm
I’ve just said on twtd itlll be interesting to see how those two teams do at Fratton Park.

We’re now neck n neck with Sheffield. It used to be a 5 point gap. And Plymouth are edging away from both of us.
Yep, but its only the first game of the second half of the season, Hallam. Still another 66 points to play for plus a january tilt n turn window......, plus more 28K crowds at PR......., this time next season, the club will be doing a Sunderland and will be 4th in the Championship......., get those veins poppin oot yer heid and scream with me...... COME ON!!!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:05 pm

Patience, Hallam - I understand the anxiety but there are another 22 games to go and our rivals have to come to us and also go to places like Portsmouth. Loads of twists and turns still to come so anxiety now is only going to have you on edge for the next 5 months! We will all be on the rollercoaster too so lets enjoy the ride. In McKenna we trust - cos thats the only option we have! 😬🤞

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:44 pm
Blue Wilf wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:42 pm
Tough game negotiated - still second. Take it and move on... we will still win this league...👍
This is what I want to read !! I'll take the point tonight

Me too, I don’t particularly like Portsmouth but I thought they played well and deserved their point. People talk about our poor defending but it was no worse than Pompeys.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:06 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:03 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Yep, but its only the first game of the second half of the season, Hallam. Still another 66 points to play for plus a january tilt n turn window......, plus more 28K crowds at PR......., this time next season, the club will be doing a Sunderland and will be 4th in the Championship......., get those veins poppin oot yer heid and scream with me...... COME ON!!!
👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:09 pm

hallamblue wrote:

Why on earth go on there Liz, you’ll end up slitting your wrists instead of enjoying the ride.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:23 pm

Well I picked up some good news for the night . Narwich have dropped to 10th…. Where’s that scum fan on here when you need him!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:26 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:05 pm
Patience, Hallam - I understand the anxiety but there are another 22 games to go and our rivals have to come to us and also go to places like Portsmouth. Loads of twists and turns still to come so anxiety now is only going to have you on edge for the next 5 months! We will all be on the rollercoaster too so lets enjoy the ride. In McKenna we trust - cos thats the only option we have! 😬🤞
Yes I know I’m an anxiety bunny these days BW. I’m so sorry about that. I’m very aware that I’m feeling like this …. ( it’s not just football either). Never used to be , but I’ve definitely got worse . So my apologies to you all… I don’t mean what I say when I’m “ on one”! X

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:34 pm

No need to apologise - we all go there in our heads but lets try and keep perspective. We are in a very, very good place compared to the last 15+ years and good things will happen. Its a marathon not a sprint (and all other similar cliches), but its true! Portsmouth are a similar size club to us - who would you rather be a fan of right now..? COYB's!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:56 pm

I think we just have to be realistic, we have 22 games still to play and we won’t W22 D0 L0 F44 A0 Pts 66. It just won’t happen.

Tonight for one reason or another Portsmouth really wanted to win that game and it showed from the start. They were lucky to get a goal so early courtesy of a poor referee who gave s free kick for reasons only he will ever know, he wasn’t biased, just useless. But once the kick was given what a free kick it was, worthy of a goal even at Premier League level. I can’t believe that was Marlon Pack’s first goal for Portsmouth, it looked like he could do that every week.

Overall I think a draw was a fair reflection of play albeit we had a lot of possession but much of it wasn’t threatening just simple controlling and thats the way McKenna want the team to play and it’s effective.

I still feel confident we’ll take one of the automatic places but to achieve that we really need to win both our games against Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday at Portman Road coming up soon, if we don’t the luxury of automatic promotion will definitely be under threat. This of course also ignores the threat of Barnsley joining the party and if they do we’ll need to make sure we win against them too, or at the very least don’t lose in the return fixture at there place. Hopefully they won’t pick up maximum points from their two games in hand despite being in a rich vein of form at present.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:33 am

I'll take the result. Maybe we should have won over course of game, statistics suggest we were the better team however it's a tough trip out there and many would have taken a point before start of play. We saved it late on, got a result of sorts from the trip, denied them a victory and there would have been signs once again in that this season the team is ready to challenge.

Don't like one bit SWFC and Plymouth get wins to really put pressure on ourselves but you got to focus on your own team and not concern too much about rivals around you . Are we the best side this division has to offer, by means of game to game, really couldn't say. It's not as clear cut to answer as you could imagine. Thing is we seem to dictate games, a number of games, by way of chances created and holding the ball but often fail to really capitalize on all opportunities, you know, allow opponents off a hook. We don't always kill off what's in our way, lack a certain cutting edge. It's one area that could cost the team by end of season, whether anyone wants to agree or disagree. Some can choose to avoid it at their own peril.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:44 am

We will get out of this league this season if we do the following. Don't throw away 2 goal leads Don't fail to beat the so called lesser teams when dominating the game., we also need to win 3 or 4 games on the bounce, something we dont do enough. 49 pts and to think we have dropped 13pts from winning positions :shock: This team/squad on their day I believe are unbeatable in this league. If 7 or 8 players on the day play to their full potential Ipswich Town football club wins a football match comfortably. If we strengthen with a proven out and out striker, then we win the League. 👍

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:01 pm

Was unable to properly follow last night's game, at best just occasionally checking in on the score. Frustrating result in many ways, however I look at in a different way:
Before this season started, if asked to give a W.D.L forecast for every game, I'd have said Loss, possibly a draw at best at Fratton Park (last season's result, as the Wycombe away match has also proven, was almost a freak result). Obviously having now seen the form of both clubs a loss would've been very disappointing.

We are rapidly approaching the transfer window and I expect that, negotiations allowing, we will seek to get any business done quickly, therefore maximising the time we can utilise any new players. I always think back to the M.Stewart and D.Johnson (2) signings and with the impact they had on our performances.
KM and MA will be fully aware of where our weakness are, they'll have all the technology and stats to backup their searches and I am expecting by at least mid-February for ITFC to be a well oiled machine going at full pelt towards automatic promotion. I truly feel that we will have it in our capabilities to go up as 'campioni' and while I have always been a positive person (perhaps to the point of being a blue-tinted specs wearer :lol: ), this I feel is the best performing Town side I have seen in recent memory. So the potential stumbling block? Will the player(s) we identify be:
Available?
Affordable?
Be willing to step down from a higher level?*

*I believe that another Morsy type of player (in whatever position we are aiming for) will be the calibre of player we need, even if it turns out to be the one and only marquee signing we make. Can you imagine that type of player in the guise of a CB (yellow cards apart :lol: )?

Onwards and Upwards.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:04 am

The Town website has a full replay of this game up now.

https://www.itfc.co.uk/matches/fixtures ... video=true

I didn't know they did that.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:54 am

Mauswara wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:04 am
The Town website has a full replay of this game up now.

https://www.itfc.co.uk/matches/fixtures ... video=true

I didn't know they did that.
I think they do where the game has been available on i-follow.