Plymouth Argyle

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

Re: Plymouth Argyle

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:09 pm
I have just been looking at the last 6 form table snd Plymouth are bloody flying , as are Barnsley and Sheff Weds . Plymouth have a 100% home record over these games . This is where we are weaker. We can’t put games to bed. So for me, we really do have to significantly up their game now, to stay in touch in my view, be used these teams around us are not faltering. I see Charlton who can’t buy a win have just gone to Pompey what we couldn’t . It’s squeaky bum time as far ad I’m concerned.
hallam I think the difference between us and say Plymouth is they have managed to put a run of wins together. I believe we haven’t won 2 games in a row in the league since the end of October. If we are going to stay in contention for automatic promotion then we are certainly going to need to put a run of wins together at some point.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:31 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:09 pm
I have just been looking at the last 6 form table snd Plymouth are bloody flying , as are Barnsley and Sheff Weds . Plymouth have a 100% home record over these games . This is where we are weaker. We can’t put games to bed. So for me, we really do have to significantly up their game now, to stay in touch in my view, be used these teams around us are not faltering. I see Charlton who can’t buy a win have just gone to Pompey what we couldn’t . It’s squeaky bum time as far ad I’m concerned.
You really love to punish yourself, don't you Hallam! 😂 stop doing this! They could all be looking at our squad and stats and thinking the same things - just let the games play themselves out without throwing the towel in with 21 games to go! Please?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:34 pm

Lol…. Ok we’ll see how it pans out shall we .

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:37 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:29 am
It is easy for many on here to keep espousing how we are not the real deal and that they are being 'realistic'. Having watched Town for 50 years -and especially the last 20, no-one was ever criticised for being proved right that we fail in our endeavours. Makes it easy for them to say 'I told you so' at a later date. It’s more 'risky' to be positive and hope for that outcome.

I have seen us outplay all of them since the start of the season.
I don’t think there is an “I told you so” attitude here. Some see the positives, some saw the negatives. In truth, both exist.
The positives are very much in the last quoted sentence. We are probably one of the best (if not the best) footballing team in the league. I haven’t enjoyed watching us play as much for years. My original post that seems to have sparked off all this was not about quality of football, it was about results. Am I happy with the football we play? Yes.
An I happy being second in the league? Yes.
But:
Do I think with the quality of football we play that we should have amassed more points? Yes
Do I think results have tailed off as the season has progressed? Yes - and produced stats to demonstrate that.
Am I less confident that our current squad could do well in the Championship? For all it matters, yes.
It isn’t about being realistic, or being proved right or wrong. It isn’t about facts either. It’s about a gut feeling and opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. 😂
The strange thing is I can sit here and see the negatives, but I take my seat at PR and am full of optimism.
But however we view it, let’s enjoy the football and hope that we can get promoted this season.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:33 am

I think this thread should be locked wtf are we talking about them for making them over important. :roll:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:11 am

Given Plymouth are our No 1 rivals for one of only two automatic promotion places I think it’s a very good topic for a discussion thread and is very relative to ITFC. In fact all the original poster asked for was whether if not we think Plymouth are the real deal this season or will fall away. What’s wrong with that, we’re not all expected to agree, that’s not what forums are for.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:03 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:33 am
I think this thread should be locked wtf are we talking about them for making them over important. :roll:
The forum “Making” them over important? They are making themselves over important to Ipswich fans. 🤷‍♂️

Lock the thread and ignore Plymouth :lol: Jaysus feckin H. 🤦‍♂️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:24 pm

Really notable similarities in smilie usage .

Derick :roll:
Mendipblue :roll:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:03 pm

Well Plymouth won’t be smiling tonight with Morgan Whittaker recalled to Swansea. I have a strong feeling he’s going to end up at Portman Road which wouldn’t make us very popular with the rest of the league one clubs. I don’t suppose for one minute Plymouth get any say in it but given how desperately the player wanted to stay there I wonder if he’ll try to stall any potential move to town until after the Town v Argyle show down.

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:30 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:03 pm
Well Plymouth won’t be smiling tonight with Morgan Whittaker recalled to Swansea. I have a strong feeling he’s going to end up at Portman Road which wouldn’t make us very popular with the rest of the league one clubs. I don’t suppose for one minute Plymouth get any say in it but given how desperately the player wanted to stay there I wonder if he’ll try to stall any potential move to town until after the Town v Argyle show down.
This is part of what said could happen. Its now telling Plymouth to cough up the money. Same thing happened last year with Brighton calling back Walton from Ipswich, Ipswich bought him. No idea on Plymouth's financial situation.

Far as Ipswich not being popular, I think we are already the least popular club in the league being honest. Was watching a Vlog last night about Portsmouth and Danny Cowley getting the sack. There were a few comments made about Ipswich from Portsmouth and non Pompey fans which were non pleasant

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:45 pm

Not sure why . Town haven’t paid mega bucks for this squad and have 100% balanced the books. I don’t think we’ve hijacked any others clubs deals either. Most if this sh it had come about because of that test Cowley bad mouthing us and creating a non existent “rivalry” between the clubs to create s smoke and mirrors diversion to hide his own failings . I bloody hate Cowley .

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:33 am

Tbh I couldnt care less on what the others think of us, we are not here to be best buddies with them, end of the day its business and sure it happens in other leagues.

Its the fact we have had some backing, which is deserved after the crap years we have had, we are now looking threatening which they do not like. We have not spent oodles and broke the bank, like some others who are now paying the price, live within your means I think they say.

And for me the feelings are reciprocated, I don't like them either, besides there is more important things going on in the world than them lol.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:26 pm

I couldn’t give a toss what others think either Dazza. What it highlights to me tho is that owners of football clubs and their investment in the hands of the right people can make a huge difference, and as hard as anyone might try it will never be a level playing field. I guess the best current example of this can be seen at Newcastle United since the Saudi takeover.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:23 pm

Steve wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:30 pm
I think we are already the least popular club in the league being honest.
We'll struggle to out-do MK Dons in the unpopularity stakes.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:20 am

Sold out according to the website

Cambridge away went on sale this morning at 10am, sold out in 5 minutes.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:20 am
Sold out according to the website

Cambridge away went on sale this morning at 10am, sold out in 5 minutes.
Crazy. I was fortunate enough to get one but know several people who logged on at 10am and missed out.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:54 pm

I bet this happens for Burnley home game too !

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:32 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:54 pm
Hallam, I think a lot will depend on the pricing for that game. Although we are doing well the FA Cup doesn’t hold the appeal to fans now as it used to, which imo is a shame. As I said in another thread think we will do well to get over 20,000 for this game but obviously if we do that is great.
Will be interesting to see how many Burnley bring, they have a excellent away following in the Championship but play that lot up the road the Saturday following our cup game so will be an expensive week for them travelling. I would imagine if they have to make a choice they will opt for the game at Carrot Road.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:59 pm

Probably Shed, they get a free freak show too after all.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:05 pm

hallamblue wrote:
I quite expect the home section to sell out quickly but much depends on whether or not Burnley take up their full entitlement of circa 4,200 tickets. A 500 mile round trip might just be a drive too far for some. Whatever the crowd were in for a treat especially after their awesome first half performance at Bournemouth on Saturday when they played like Man City. TBH I don’t think we’ll learn much about town and our chances in the Championship as Burnley are a class apart from the rest.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:59 pm
Probably Shed, they get a free freak show too after all.
:lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:28 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:05 pm
hallamblue wrote:
I quite expect the home section to sell out quickly but much depends on whether or not Burnley take up their full entitlement of circa 4,200 tickets. A 500 mile round trip might just be a drive too far for some. Whatever the crowd were in for a treat especially after their awesome first half performance at Bournemouth on Saturday when they played like Man City. TBH I don’t think we’ll learn much about town and our chances in the Championship as Burnley are a class apart from the rest.

It’ll be interesting to see how Town fair tbh. But I’ll be honest I’m really fearful of what a vocal up our defence will offer up in a plate for them. Our defence is the weakest part of our team ( in my humble opinion of course).

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:51 pm

We still have around 3 weeks yet for Liz to sought out our leaky defence as I stated Sean Morrison is free for a loan it's worth Ashton having a talk with him

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:06 pm

I’d make a cheeky bid for McGuiness who’s just been recalled to Cardiff from SWFC. He’s a giant in defence now .

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:53 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:51 pm
We still have around 3 weeks yet for Liz to sought out our leaky defence as I stated Sean Morrison is free for a loan it's worth Ashton having a talk with him
This would be a solid addition if he is fit. Will it happen probably not.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:21 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:06 pm
I’d make a cheeky bid for McGuiness who’s just been recalled to Cardiff from SWFC. He’s a giant in defence now .
Word is that Cardiff cannot recall him under the terms of their Transfer embargo and as such he will remain at Wednesday, not sure how true it is but that is what I am reading.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:02 am

Will be a pain if true.

I’m hoping the large influx of players to Plymouth is going to unsettle the squad a bit and give us a chance to close em down .

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:21 am
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:06 pm
Word is that Cardiff cannot recall him under the terms of their Transfer embargo and as such he will remain at Wednesday, not sure how true it is but that is what I am reading.

Sheffield Wednesday / Mark McGuinness News - Sunday 8 Jan

Shock twist in Mark McGuinness situation as Cardiff City admit they may not be able to recall Sheffield Wednesday star

In what could prove to be a dramatic twist in Sheffield Wednesday’s title push, Cardiff City have admitted there could be complications over their intention to recall Mark McGuinness from his loan at Hillsborough.

The Star revealed last week that it was the intention of the Welsh club to trigger a January recall clause in the loan agreement of the 22-year-old after an incredible run of form for Owls in which he received back-to-back player of the month gongs.

The Republic of Ireland youth international played a star role in Wednesday’s shock FA Cup win over Newcastle United, with Darren Moore making clear he would prefer a decision one way or another from Cardiff by ‘Tuesday latest’.

But while their manager Mark Hudson admitted he would like to bring McGuinness into their Championship survival push, complications exist around their ability to do so under the rules of their current complications exist around their ability to do so under the rules of their current transfer embargo.

“I think with what's going on at the moment, we will see what unfolds over the next couple of days," Hudson said.

“I watched him play [against Newcastle] and thought he was outstanding. I messaged him after to say well done. But we will have to pick that up in the next few days, because it's the weekend.

“But tomorrow [Monday], I will probably have a bit more information.

“It'll be down to the embargo. So we will have to wait and see what we can do with that.”

The latest twist will surely send a wave of encouragement through the Wednesday camp – though the Owls are keen to avoid a month-long saga.

“We’ve sent back the agreement papers and made it clear we’d like him to stay, but we have got to wait for that answer to come back from Cardiff in terms of what they want to do with him,” he said after the FA Cup clash on Saturday night.

“We know he’s their player but I thought he was magnificent again tonight and all season he’s helped give us a platform. I hope he comes back for the second half and continues the job he has started here. If not, we thank him and thank Cardiff.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:54 pm

It is correct then and as i see it Cardiff are stuffed so it's Wednesday's good fortune.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:17 pm

As I’ve always wished for and predicted Town & Wednesday it will be. 🙏🤞👌