Plymouth Argyle

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Plymouth Argyle

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:05 pm

It's been a topic of conversation this season as to whether Plymouth are the real deal this time or whether they will fade again as the season progresses, I am firmly in the latter category although admittedly its been later than expected. I think we'll get a better idea over the next Seven games as they are due to come up against...

Bolton
Ipswich
Sheff Wed
Derby
Portsmouth

Plus Two slightly "easier" games on paper

Should they still be top after that lot I may need a rethink, can't see it myself.

Shed on tour

Re: Plymouth Argyle

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:16 pm

Mike, I think they are for real this season and will be there or thereabouts after 46 games. Their home form has been incredible and even away from Home Park they have been picking up points on a regular basis. As I said on another thread it really is difficult to pick which 2 of the current top 3 will go up automatically and also it would not surprise me to see Barnsley come into contention for a automatic place as well.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:50 pm

I've said all season that they will be there at the end - just because they fell away last season does not mean they will this season, indeed you would think they would have learned from that.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:54 pm

I think only significant injuries will see Plymouth fall away.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:30 pm

If we don't strengthen our defence we could fall away with giving stupid goals away like at Pompey, It has to stop and KM must bring in at least 4 new players in Jan window we might still go for Whittaker from Swansea, But defence is the most important thing to rectify

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:37 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:54 pm
I think only significant injuries will see Plymouth fall away.
If Plymouth win their home game on Sunday against MK Dons then they will be 7 points ahead of both Wednesday and ourselves before we both play our games on Monday. Would certainly put pressure on us getting a win at Lincoln to keep in touch with Plymouth. Hopefully MK Dons can do us a favour and at least get a point at Home Park.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:26 pm

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=3 This suggests Barnsley are the team to watch 🤔

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:47 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:26 pm
https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=3 This suggests Barnsley are the team to watch 🤔
Of course they are - have been for weeks now. They had a steady start to the season but have really got going of late. And they are fresh down from the Championship, so I think that any team they overtake will find it difficult or even impossible to catch them again. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I think they will take one of the auto-promotion places, leaving us, Plymouth, and Sheffield Wed to fight it our for the other one.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:57 pm

What it does show is what a difficult league this is to get out of and the 3 teams who do manage it this season will certainly have earned it. Just hope we are one of them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:58 pm

Well let's hope we make mugs of them again at Oakwell as we did at home, just need a competent Ref next time.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:14 pm

It seems that those managers and other sources calling us the best team in the league has upset some Argyle fans.

https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/ipswich-no ... re.121085/

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:37 pm

One major thing about Plymouth. They have 5 loan players on their books. Lots depends if they can keep hold of those 5

Sam Cosgrove (Birmingham City), Nigel Lonwijk (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Bali Mumba (Norwich City), Morgan Whittaker (Swansea City) and Finn Azaz )Aston Villa) though he is out with a broken ankle

Be interesting if any get recalled

Having said all that, Its about us and what Ipswich does

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:22 pm

Steve wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:37 pm
One major thing about Plymouth. They have 5 loan players on their books. Lots depends if they can keep hold of those 5

Sam Cosgrove (Birmingham City), Nigel Lonwijk (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Bali Mumba (Norwich City), Morgan Whittaker (Swansea City) and Finn Azaz )Aston Villa) though he is out with a broken ankle

Be interesting if any get recalled

Having said all that, Its about us and what Ipswich does
Isn't it nice for an Ipswich side not to be reliant on loan players! If Plymouth go up they might not be able to rely on securing the best of those players!
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:58 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:16 pm
Mike, I think they are for real this season and will be there or thereabouts after 46 games. Their home form has been incredible and even away from Home Park they have been picking up points on a regular basis. As I said on another thread it really is difficult to pick which 2 of the current top 3 will go up automatically and also it would not surprise me to see Barnsley come into contention for a automatic place as well.
I have to agree. Didn’t manage to see last night’s match but this is the first time in a while I am starting to think that we won’t get promoted this season. At the moment it looks like 2 from 4, and we are slipping a bit.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:08 pm

How are we slipping ? Sometimes you have to look at fixtures played and what's to come, a glance at our second half and I'm more than confident of automatic. Plymouth will not go up automatically, you heard it here first !!! :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:26 pm

Is it a belief “system” you have Mike that you can share…….. or is it just Mystic Meg shyte like my wee cousin? (who i have to say is weirdly correct a lot)

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:08 pm
How are we slipping ? Sometimes you have to look at fixtures played and what's to come, a glance at our second half and I'm more than confident of automatic. Plymouth will not go up automatically, you heard it here first !!! :wink:
We have played 24 league games.
First eight games were acquired 20 points
Next eight games we got 16.
Last eight we got 13.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:34 pm

That is actually consistently slipping. 🤔

(Not sarcastic…… i do love the research on this forum)

Ashton & KMcK will have an excellent January spend, Andy and all slippage will be ceased.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:52 pm

Let's change the bloody site name to Doommongers,com, f*ck me I've never known such a f**king lot of negative sh*te in all my life, we finally get a decent season and f*cker enjoys it. Maybe we will fail but Jesus christ enjoy it while you can. Puts me off posting at times, brings me down and I am positive about the season.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:01 pm

I’ve felt positive too, and I’m enjoying it as we are playing the best football in many many years. I said a few weeks ago that I thought we had lost that edge. It all came right on Boxing Day and as I said I didn’t see yesterdays game. We are still in a strong position, but all I’m saying is that for all our good play (and I disagree with those who say we need to be more direct), we aren’t quite getting the results that we were earlier.
I’ve said over the years that playing entertaining football matters to me, and I’m happy with that. Promotion would be great and I’m hopeful, but less certain than I was earlier. I don’t think that’s being a doom merchant. I think that’s being honest and realistic.

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:52 pm
Let's change the bloody site name to Doommongers,com, f*ck me I've never known such a f**king lot of negative sh*te in all my life, we finally get a decent season and f*cker enjoys it. Maybe we will fail but Jesus christ enjoy it while you can. Puts me off posting at times, brings me down and I am positive about the season.

Right with you Mike. Enjoy it

Far as first 8 games then next 8, then next 8 goes there can be several reasons for that. Injuries for example for last 8 games

Be positive if can't feel more happier now than before then never can

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:52 pm
Got to say i’m quite the opposite of that. Regarding the forum that is. …… I’m the same in that i’m generally a very postive person.

But forums need a balance of perspective…… otherwise, I see no “discussion”? Yes, it definitely is the best season for many seasons…… BUT, the fact remains that (a) some stats are a bit ponder worthy, and (b) top of the league at Xmas a few years back.
Honestly, 100% with you that its going to end well this season, 70% confidence, 30% Mystic Meg, but I reckon some do welcome the stats to maybe judge things.

Otherwise……… it’ll be a forum of Mr Discos!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:06 pm

I think I posted somewhere on another thread yesterday that I fully expect the three horse race soon to become a four horse race. As you say Shed Plymouth’s home form at Home Park really has been phenomenal and is the only significant difference between themselves and their closest rivals who’s home form is identical with 7 wins, 4 draws and 1 defeat. If either Town or Sheffield Wednesday could kill off visiting teams like Plymouth do both teams would be occupying the automatic promotion places, but we’re not which is why Plymouth sit four points clear on their own. To be honest unless their home form blows up it’s most likely they’ll stay where they are with ourselves Wednesday & Barnsley competing for 2nd place. Looking at it another way Plymouth have entertained all three of their closest rivals and taken a maximum 9 points with 3 straight wins, it doesn’t really get much better than that and I wouldn’t bet against it carrying on in the second half of the season.

Whatever happens in the Title Race I do think it will go to the wire, and if we really want to help ourselves we need to make sure we win our forthcoming home games on 14 Jan v Plymouth and 11 Feb v Sheffield Wednesday. Dropping points in these two games could prove very costly.

To keep the post completely on topic, and I surprise even myself by saying this but I think this season Plymouth are the real deal and will still be there or thereabouts at the end if the season.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:47 am

I'm with Mike on this, I think Plymouth will just miss out on a top two position. Lots of factors come into play but it is pretty rare no-one has a dip unless your something really special, they are due a bump in the road. They have a few loans they rely on, slot can change this part of the season so just have to wait and see. We will hopefully bring in others as will others, I'm sure KM will address our Achilles heel and we will be stronger. As for slipping then yes, but there are also gains, who does stay in the same position these days ?, this is a hard league, at least we are in a good position and have been consistently despite the odd hiccup.

Think give it by end of Feb if they are still at the top then I may be wrong, but as Mike again has said we have to be positive, this is the first time I feel we will do it for a number of years now.

Just look at the how far we have come, this under the current set up this will only continue, have faith and stuff the rest.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:55 pm

I think it's a shame that, on a football forum (albeit for a specific club), posters can be vilified for expressing an opinion which is not shared by some. It's a forum, a place for open discussion of opinions, not a hero-worshipping arena.

There are 2 contributors to this board who have always accused me of being negative, despite the fact that I only ever express my honest opinion, it's just that my opinion differs from theirs and they can't hack it. That's one reason why I have refrained from commenting on Ipswich for the past 2 games, I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Just 2 or 3 general observations............

1) AndyM is correct when he states we are slipping and he provides stats to support that. It is of no consequence how many injuries we have had, or who we have played compared to our rivals, the incontrovertible FACT is that we have gained 7 less points in our last 8 games than we did in our first 8 games, and that IS slipping in my book.
2) The current form table over the last 6 games has Barnsley top, followed by Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Plymouth. Those same 4 teams occupy the top 4 places in the current table, and with the gap below them I think it is safe to say that 2 of those 4 teams will get the auto promotion places. It really is too close to call for anybody to say with any certainty which 2 clubs will succeed
3) We can kid ourselves that we will be even stronger after the January transfer window, yet we have absolutely no idea of the players (if any) that are on the radar. And the other 3 clubs are sure to be active in the transfer market too.
4) We have had a good season so far, but it could - and should - have been even better. I don't see anything wrong in people saying so, certainly they should not be cast as doom-mongers. It's going to be an interesting run-in to the end of the season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:15 pm

Would you still have refrained from commenting on the last Two games had we lost ? Hmmmm :wink:

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:27 pm

I don’t always agree with you rossi but to be fair that is a very fair and well written series of points.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:15 pm
Would you still have refrained from commenting on the last Two games had we lost ? Hmmmm :wink:
You have met me, Mike, and shared a few beers with me. You be the judge - and FWIW I agree with Chaplin, Portsmouth was definitely 2 points dropped, so more like a loss than a win but I havn't commented :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:44 pm

Plymouth are doing what we haven’t been able to do. Finish opponents off and win games. They’re better than us. They’ve been in or around the top 2-3 slots for the last 2-3 seasons now. So no fluke. They actually deserve to be promoted imho

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:49 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:44 pm
Plymouth are doing what we haven’t been able to do. Finish opponents off and win games. They’re better than us. They’ve been in or around the top 2-3 slots for the last 2-3 seasons now. So no fluke. They actually deserve to be promoted imho
This - sorry if it hurts