Plymouth Argyle

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 26909
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Plymouth Argyle

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:55 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:17 pm
As I’ve always wished for and predicted Town & Wednesday it will be. 🙏🤞👌
Agreed

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 2445
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Plymouth Argyle

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:24 pm

I see Plymouth are in EFL Trophy quarter final action at Bristol Rovers tonight.
They have made 9 changes, so despite their manager saying he was taking this competition seriously, it does seem as he has selected a team with eyes firmly on the big game this Saturday.
Apparently the weather is awful at the Memorial Ground, let's hope Rovers give them a really tough game on a heavy pitch, not that it will have a significant impact on our clash.

hallamblue
Posts: 28740
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Plymouth Argyle

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:30 pm

Suggests to me he’s taking their next league game very seriously….

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 16455
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Plymouth Argyle

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:54 pm
It is correct then and as i see it Cardiff are stuffed so it's Wednesday's good fortune.


Yet another twist tonight

Cardiff City have paid French club Nantes the first instalment of the transfer fee for striker Emiliano Sala, BBC Sport Wales has learned.

After making the payment, believed to be around £7m, Cardiff expect Fifa to lift the transfer embargo imposed on the club.

Cardiff have appealed to the EFL to lift a separate embargo so they can sign players in the January window.

Sala died in a plane crash over the English Channel in January 2019.

The Argentine player was travelling from France to join Cardiff, who were then in the Premier League.

A three-window embargo was imposed by Fifa, world football's governing body, because of Cardiff's refusal to pay the first tranche of the £15m transfer fee they had agreed with Nantes for Sala.

Cardiff lost their appeal against that ruling by Fifa. A three-man panel at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) heard the appeal in Lausanne earlier this year.

The Bluebirds claimed they were not liable for any of the fee because Sala was not officially their player when he died at the age of 28.

The Mark McGuinness return to Cardiff City story clearly hasn’t ended.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 16455
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Plymouth Argyle

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:15 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:24 pm
I see Plymouth are in EFL Trophy quarter final action at Bristol Rovers tonight.
They have made 9 changes, so despite their manager saying he was taking this competition seriously, it does seem as he has selected a team with eyes firmly on the big game this Saturday.
Apparently the weather is awful at the Memorial Ground, let's hope Rovers give them a really tough game on a heavy pitch, not that it will have a significant impact on our clash.

Bristol Rovers 0-2 Plymouth Argyle, with two goals from their only two shots on target. Surely this was only a Regional QF Mark ?

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 2445
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Plymouth Argyle

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:29 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:15 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:24 pm
I see Plymouth are in EFL Trophy quarter final action at Bristol Rovers tonight.
They have made 9 changes, so despite their manager saying he was taking this competition seriously, it does seem as he has selected a team with eyes firmly on the big game this Saturday.
Apparently the weather is awful at the Memorial Ground, let's hope Rovers give them a really tough game on a heavy pitch, not that it will have a significant impact on our clash.

Bristol Rovers 0-2 Plymouth Argyle, with two goals from their only two shots on target. Surely this was only a Regional QF Mark ?
Not sure. It seems there was a Northern & Southern "round of 16" in December, which would suggest being left with a combined 16 teams. However looking at those results, it appears that there were only 8 teams in each section.
Edit- Have just checked on PAFC site and their report says "A pulsating first-half display was enough for Argyle to book their place in the semi-finals of the Papa Johns Trophy".
Plymouth certainly look good for winning silverware in this competition.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 16455
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Plymouth Argyle

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:52 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:29 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:15 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:24 pm
I see Plymouth are in EFL Trophy quarter final action at Bristol Rovers tonight.
They have made 9 changes, so despite their manager saying he was taking this competition seriously, it does seem as he has selected a team with eyes firmly on the big game this Saturday.
Apparently the weather is awful at the Memorial Ground, let's hope Rovers give them a really tough game on a heavy pitch, not that it will have a significant impact on our clash.

Bristol Rovers 0-2 Plymouth Argyle, with two goals from their only two shots on target. Surely this was only a Regional QF Mark ?
Not sure. It seems there was a Northern & Southern "round of 16" in December, which would suggest being left with a combined 16 teams. However looking at those results, it appears that there were only 8 teams in each section.
Edit- Have just checked on PAFC site and their report says "A pulsating first-half display was enough for Argyle to book their place in the semi-finals of the Papa Johns Trophy".
Plymouth certainly look good for winning silverware in this competition.
I’ve lost track of the little cup comps. I thought the Paoa Johns Trophy was a completely different stand alone comp ? Which Comp is it that the Premiership Academy teams play in ?

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 2445
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Plymouth Argyle

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:12 am

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:52 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:29 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:15 pm



Bristol Rovers 0-2 Plymouth Argyle, with two goals from their only two shots on target. Surely this was only a Regional QF Mark ?
Not sure. It seems there was a Northern & Southern "round of 16" in December, which would suggest being left with a combined 16 teams. However looking at those results, it appears that there were only 8 teams in each section.
Edit- Have just checked on PAFC site and their report says "A pulsating first-half display was enough for Argyle to book their place in the semi-finals of the Papa Johns Trophy".
Plymouth certainly look good for winning silverware in this competition.
I’ve lost track of the little cup comps. I thought the Paoa Johns Trophy was a completely different stand alone comp ? Which Comp is it that the Premiership Academy teams play in ?
The Papa Johns is the EFL trophy (the Premiership Academy sides play in this one), but what caused me confusion was the League Cup being known as the EFL Cup. Of the former, just Accrington, Bolton, Cheltenham and Plymouth remain to contest the semi final.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 16455
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Plymouth Argyle

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:13 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:12 am
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:52 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:29 pm


Not sure. It seems there was a Northern & Southern "round of 16" in December, which would suggest being left with a combined 16 teams. However looking at those results, it appears that there were only 8 teams in each section.
Edit- Have just checked on PAFC site and their report says "A pulsating first-half display was enough for Argyle to book their place in the semi-finals of the Papa Johns Trophy".
Plymouth certainly look good for winning silverware in this competition.
I’ve lost track of the little cup comps. I thought the Paoa Johns Trophy was a completely different stand alone comp ? Which Comp is it that the Premiership Academy teams play in ?
The Papa Johns is the EFL trophy (the Premiership Academy sides play in this one), but what caused me confusion was the League Cup being known as the EFL Cup. Of the former, just Accrington, Bolton, Cheltenham and Plymouth remain to contest the semi final.
Is this the Trophy that Portsmouth knocked us out of at Portman Road ?

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 2445
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Plymouth Argyle

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:04 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:13 am
Is this the Trophy that Portsmouth knocked us out of at Portman Road ?
Yes it is.

Post Reply