FA Cup (R3) - Ipswich Town vs Rotherham United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Chance of being in the 4th round?

Ipswich Win
80%
Rotherham Win
13%
Replay
7%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

FA Cup (R3) - Ipswich Town vs Rotherham United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:38 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Rotherham UnitedImage

Saturday 7th January 2023 – 15:00

Portman Road

FA Cup – Round 3

Pre-Match Thoughts Mike

I'm not sure which way to view the Christmas period, on the face of it unbeaten over the festive season sounds pretty decent, however taking Five points from a possible Nine when our rivals have done better puts a bit of a dampener on things. Writing my thoughts on the Lincoln game should really take a matter of seconds, just copy and paste any of the previous weeks notes because once again we boss a game, have ridiculous amounts of possession and attempts at goal and yet lo and behold we once again fail to secure the Three points, it really is getting tedious and dare I say it, just a tad boring and repetitive.

It still seems as though lady luck is continuing to conspire against us where massive decisions are concerned, quite how that was a penalty against KVY god only knows, it beggars belief and it's not often Kieran Mckenna gets angry but such was the inefficiency of yet another Referee that he was quite outspoken after the game. Of course some will point to another big decision going our way as the home player was shown Red but at least that was a correct decision although in truth even that worked against us as an already stubborn home side shut up shop and did it pretty effectively, we find it hard to break defensive teams down as it is so that was always going to be a tall order and while we did create a few openings we only had Cam Humphreys header to show for all our endeavour. One point instead of Three once again being the order of the day and with Plymouth & Sheff Wed both winning it made it even harder to take.

Dropping out of the Top Two was never going to be taken lightly in these parts and I do believe the Samaritans hotline in Suffolk has been pretty jammed since Monday evening with our season in tatters. All joking aside, of course it would be great to be ten points clear or in the Top two all season but it's not crucial at this stage, there will 100% be loads more twists and turns to contend with, not just with us but down Home Park & Hillsborough too, if an unbeaten run is our bad spell then bring it on, I will take that providing it doesn't go on any longer.

Speaking of twists and turns, Plymouth's talisman Morgan Whittaker has been recalled by his parent club and that can only be bad news for our rivals, I think I read somewhere that he has been involved in some way in 37% of their goals which is pretty influential, it would be akin to us losing Sam Morsy and I know we would struggle without him. of course we need to concentrate on what we do and not cling to such things but even so it is a bonus for us and Sheff Wed for sure. How bizarre that Wednesday lose Barry Bannan to injury and then proceed to bang in Five goals without him, that said I do feel any period on the sidelines for Bannan can only be a huge loss to them too. Yes indeed, Twists & Turns aplenty.

Talk is already rife of new additions to the Town squad arriving before the weekend, Midfielder Jack Taylor from Peterborough seems the most likely but names like Whittaker and Nathan Broadhead have also been pretty hot in the news, whoever we may get it we need them sooner rather than later to get bedded in for the crucial games that lie ahead.

This week we take a welcome break from league action as it's FA Cup round Three weekend, Championship Rotherham Utd are the visitors to Portman Road, it's a game that will give us a chance to pit our wits against higher league opposition and measure just where we are in such company although with the Flu bug having swept through the squad lately I am fearing a bit of a weakened Town side for this one. The good thing about FA Cup week is players like Leif Davis who has been struggling will have had ample time to hopefully be fit for the massive game to come next weekend.

As much as I would love a place in the draw for Round Four I would happily take defeat if it meant we do the business against Plymouth Argyle next weekend, there is no comparison in terms of importance, ideally we win both but if it can only be won it's Argyle all day long. Rotherham are hardly pulling up Trees and they too may have their Eyes firmly fixed on Championship survival and as such they too could be much changed, time will tell. For what it is worth I am going for a narrow Town win to keep our interest in this seasons Cup alive. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Rotherham United Honours

League

Football League Third Division / Third Division North / League One (3rd tier)

Champions: 1950–51, 1980–81
2nd place promotion: 2000–01, 2019–20, 2021–22
Play-off winners: 2013–14, 2017–18

Football League Fourth Division / League Two (4th tier)
Champions : 1988–89
2nd place promotion: 1991–92, 1999–2000, 2012–13
3rd place promotion: 1974–75

Cups

Football League Cup
Runners-up: 1960–61

Football League Trophy
Winners: 1995–96, 2021–22

Football League Third Division North Cup
Winners 1945–46

The Manager – Matt Taylor

Head to Head

Match referee – Sebastian Stockbridge

IPSWICH TOWN 1 ROTHERHAM UNITED 0

shabba

Re: FA Cup (R3) - Ipswich Town vs Rotherham United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by shabba » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:33 pm

Given our league position this game had to take a back seat on the priority list - I suspect we will rest alot of players where we can.

Would like to see Ahadme start, hladky and all the other available fridge players, Humpreys and some other youngsters too.

Not fussed about the result, HUGE league game after so need it be ready and fresh for that.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:52 pm

shabba wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:33 pm
Given our league position this game had to take a back seat on the priority list - I suspect we will rest alot of players where we can.

Would like to see Ahadme start, hladky and all the other available fridge players, Humpreys and some other youngsters too.

Not fussed about the result, HUGE league game after so need it be ready and fresh for that.
Think this could be the perfect time to get Ahadme some minutes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:21 am

Nice write up again and total agreement regarding the weekend after. Would like to see ITFC reach later rounds in this cup and if it had've been Forest Green Rovers next week then yep, take this one a tad more serious........, but Plymouth @ PR weekend after is borderline season defining. Biggest game for years.
Go for the preview prediction of 1-0 Ipswich.

Ref / Rotherham manager combined caption.

Ref: What you doing, Matthew?
MT: Making a play-dough ball to throw at you, Sebastian.
Ref: And why is that may I ask, Matthew?
MT: Because you keep calling me Matthew and your decisions are shyte, Sebastian.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:28 am

Town to field a much weakened team due to illness and rest so I’m going with a Rotherham win. Had we played a strong side of actually have fancied us to beat them though!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:03 pm

30 years since an appearance beyond Round Five, been with it just about every year of the way. Lyall as manager, you could reel off team players going back to Dozzell, Wark, Milton, Kiwomya etc. No manager or team here has beaten it in time since.

Point being the opportunity now presents itself to not only match that statistic but add something else to a probable promotion by end of season. All right it's only Round Three but this is winnable for sure, we get favorable draws in the next two stages, play well and progress and three decades of waiting can come to an end. Kids today deserve to witness something only older generations can speak on.

All McKenna needs do is pick a strong line-up and the team shows enough dedication and we'll have a very good chance of getting past these opponents.
Unfortunately it won't be as clear cut as that so guess a drawn game and replay event in Yorkshire. Either way we'll be part of the Round Four draw by the time the weekend is over. Can't see us losing, all things suggest a tie but would hope to win and progress naturally.

ITFC 1 Rotherham 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:28 pm

A replay would be a feckin disaster.

Win or lose, ITFC.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:30 pm

Apparently it’s not on iFollow? Does that mean not for UK or not for those of us who might be aboard this weekend?

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:44 am

Hladky
KVY
Edmundson
Keogh
Leigh
Humphries
Lungo
Edwards
Aluko
Jackson
Adhadme

Starting 11 for Saturday if all fit. Giving the main guys a rest?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:04 am

That may not be too far off given the circumstances

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:06 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:28 am
Town to field a much weakened team due to illness and rest so I’m going with a Rotherham win. Had we played a strong side of actually have fancied us to beat them though!
Given Rotherham’s relegation battle they’re unlikely to be risking any or many of their key players against a team from a lower league in an FA Cup tie Liz. They won’t be high on motivation either having only won 6 league games all season with the last 2 months ago. Another key difference is that when teams are on a bad run fringe players aren’t looking to get picked to steer clear of the blame, whereas when teams are doing well everyone want to play and be part of the success.
This is definitely winnable, 1-0 Town for me.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:30 pm

True, or they might go strong to get a confidence boosting win and get their season back up and running?

Not fussed about the result too much, hope to see Ahadme though.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:47 pm

Hopefully no replay and no injuries. Will go for a 2-1 win for Town.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:49 pm

shabba wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:30 pm
Apparently it’s not on iFollow? Does that mean not for UK or not for those of us who might be aboard this weekend?

It’s all of us Shabba inc those of us in Spain ☹️.

Here’s some info;

The following matches are excluded from streaming:

3pm games on Saturday
Any game selected by Sky Sports (excluding the eight midweek games that will be co-broadcast on Sky Sports and on Club streaming)
All Carabao Cup matches
Play-Off matches
FA Cup matches (rights are held by The FA)
League One and League Two

In League One and League Two, there are also six sets of midweek fixtures which will be streamed by Clubs, excluding Sky Sports selections.

16th August 2022
13th September 2022
25th October 2022
29th December 2022
14th February 2023
18th April 2023

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:18 am

Thanks so much - appreciate that.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:02 pm

You’re welcome Shabba 👍. I think I’ll settle down and watch Bolton v Plymouth. Although have just taken a look at Boltons home form it looks pretty shabby recently.

Going back last four;

D 0-0 Derby
W 2-0 Exeter
D 1-1 Bristol Rovers
L 1-3 Oxford United

…. and some of our fans think we have a problem at home. 🤔

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:16 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:02 pm
You’re welcome Shabba 👍. I think I’ll settle down and watch Bolton v Plymouth. Although have just taken a look at Boltons home form it looks pretty shabby recently.

Going back last four;

D 0-0 Derby
W 2-0 Exeter
D 1-1 Bristol Rovers
L 1-3 Oxford United

Some of our fans think we have a problem with everywhere and everything :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:12 pm

For those not bothering about betting against Ipswich Town in this……… you are getting 9/2 Rotherham. That is superb odds.
8/15 ITFC.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:16 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:02 pm

Going back last four;

D 0-0 Derby
W 2-0 Exeter
D 1-1 Bristol Rovers
L 1-3 Oxford United

Some of our fans think we have a problem with everywhere and everything :lol: :lol:

I read with dismay some of the sh*t posted on Facebook, sometimes you’d think we’d made no progress since the McCarthy days. I’m not sure if it’s just people playing Social Media wind up or they really believe what they write, although to be fair some of the posts are written so badly it could just be we have more than our fair share of thick uneducated dim wits amongst our fan base. Whatever it is it’s so far off the mark it’s unbelievable anyone can even think the way they do.

Anyway back to League 1 which is far more important than the FA Cup, I was hoping for a Bolton win today but that home form is shocking. Maybe the best we can hope for is a draw.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:35 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:12 pm
For those not bothering about betting against Ipswich Town in this……… you are getting 9/2 Rotherham. That is superb odds.
8/15 ITFC.
If I still had a betting account that would be quite tempting Marko even though I still think we’ll win. I hope you’ve messaged Hallam, she can fill her boots at those odds.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:12 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:35 pm
marko69 wrote:
8/15 ITFC.
If I still had a betting account that would be quite tempting Marko even though I still think we’ll win. I hope you’ve messaged Hallam, she can fill her boots at those odds.
You know I could get Ipswich into that 4th Rd....., by placing a bet on Rothers! GUARANTEED!! :lol:

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:25 pm

Happy enough with the Lineup - would have liked to see Ahadme but no harm of ladapo can get himself a goal.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:26 pm

Much stronger than I expected

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:31 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:26 pm
Definitely. Would of rested Davies, Chaplin and Evans personally. 🤔

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:45 pm

Suspect they want to keep them ticking over as they didn’t start last week, apparently from evans who will get subbed after 60mins.

Seems some people can find a stream, a mate has a soft tv service and said he can see it listed

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:54 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:12 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:35 pm
marko69 wrote:
8/15 ITFC.
You know I could get Ipswich into that 4th Rd....., by placing a bet on Rothers! GUARANTEED!! :lol:

Ha ha Marko, I thought exactly the same 🤣

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:26 pm
Me too, McKenna obviously taking it seriously. Big crowds at Man Utd. last night and Spurs at lunchtime, looks like some of the big clubs taking it serious too this year. It’ll be interesting to see if town fans take it seriously or not.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:59 pm

shabba wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:45 pm
Suspect they want to keep them ticking over as they didn’t start last week, apparently from evans who will get subbed after 60mins.

Seems some people can find a stream, a mate has a soft tv service and said he can see it listed
Ipswich Town V Rotherham United
🎥Link to Live Streaming👇
https://paramount10.boxcast-tv.com/socc ... e=FA%20cup

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:05 pm

Seems to be asking for credit card, £! payent for trial and goes to premium service after 2 hours?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:12 pm

shabba wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:05 pm
Seems to be asking for credit card, £! payent for trial and goes to premium service after 2 hours?
I was thinking it was worth a 1€ ?