League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Plymouth Argyle Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we repeat last weekends performance?

Ipswich Win
60%
Plymouth Win
5%
Draw
35%

Total votes: 20

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Plymouth Argyle Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:52 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Plymouth Argyle Image

Saturday 14th January 2023 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Prior to last weekends Home FA Cup tie with Championship strugglers Rotherham Utd many Town fans were stressing what a good benchmark it would be to see just where we were and how far we had come as a team, could we cut it, are we good enough to even think about going up, that type of thing, well I think the 4-1 thrashing answered all those questions and more, while Rotherham may not be the hardest test from the Championship they are still there on merit and we despatched them with little trouble, not only was the score emphatic but the all round performance was pretty one sided too. I think it shows Championship Football would be well suited to Town due to the time and space players are afforded in that division compared to the in yer face clogfest we get in L1.

Finding ourselves in round Four is not something that has come about too often in recent years so watching the draw made a welcome change, being drawn at home was always the number one request and the pundits duly obliged, next up many wanted either the scum or a Premiership side and while the scum did their usual disappearing act we got the next best thing to a top tier side as Championship leaders Burnley were handed a trip to Portman Road in Round Four. For me it's a very good draw and allows us to pit our wits against superior opposition, there is no doubt Vincent kompany has them flying and winning games for fun so this is again a game that should be played in a style to suit us, while it could well be a bridge too far you just never know in the FA Cup, the stadium should be rocking.

With the January Transfer Window now in full swing Town have wasted little time in adding to their squad and the additions look pretty impressive not to mention attack minded, Midfielder Massimo Luongo is joined by Strikers Nathan Broadhead (Full Signing) & George Hirst (Loan Deal), the signing of Broadhead on a Three and a Half year deal seems to be the One setting pulses racing and he certainly looks a good buy for the 1.5 Million Town have splashed on him, he has scored goals at this level and should have little trouble tacking the move in his stride. Hirst too has scored goals at this level and he finally makes the move to Portman Road after he originally looked to be on his way in the Summer.

Our fire power now looks pretty awesome and it begs the question if someone is going out in the opposite direction, with Five Strikers on the books someone is going to be pretty unhappy every match day, I do question if Gassan Ahadme may well be in for a short lived stay in Ipswich, time will tell on that one. debate still rages as to where we should be strengthening and while I am more than happy with our business so far I still remain hopeful of a defender to shore up the all too often leaky defence, there is still plenty of time and fingers crossed Mr Ashton is "on it" as we speak.

I think there is zero doubt that this weekends game is absolutely massive for several reasons, the game is already sold out, has been for a day or Two as we welcome league leaders Plymouth Argyle to Portman Road for an enthralling top of the table clash which promises to be a cracker. With the Pilgrims already Seven points ahead of us defeat is just not an option for Town, a draw would also leave us with a lot of work to do to catch them but not insurmountable while a victory would have us breathing right down their necks with that crucial game in hand, it really is all to play for.

Like us Plymouth have been very busy in the transfer market with at the time of writing five new faces through the door so they are not sitting back on their laurels by any means, the loss of Morgan Whittaker was clearly a blow and it remains to be seen if any of these step up to take on the mantle of their main man. Their first game without their talisman was a uninspiring goalless draw at Bolton Wanderers which in itself is not a disaster but still leave Plymouth finding things hard on their travels. Let's hope they find it even harder this weekend.

I await with interest the line up Kieran McKenna selects for such an important game, does he go tried and trusted or does he go brave and start with some new faces ? personally I think we will see all three new arrivals on the bench with the guarantee of a run out as the game progresses, let's not forget Conor Chaplin & Freddie Ladapo are in pretty good scoring form themselves right now. Whoever takes to the field need to know this is massive and while not quite season defining it could go a long way to shaping our destiny, I am totally convinced and confident, the Boy's will be prepared and up for it, let's hope things go our way for a change and the fickle finger of fate stays away. I have been told all week we will score three, Four, Five goals now so it's a comfortable home win for me. COYB'S

The Opposition – Plymouth Argyle Honours

Third Division / League One (Tier 3)
Champions (4): 1929–30, 1951–52, 1958–59, 2003–04
Runners-up (8): 1921–22, 1922–23, 1923–24, 1924–25, 1925–26, 1926–27, 1974–75, 1985–86

Southern Football League (Tier 3)
Champions (1): 1912–13
Runners-up (2): 1907–08, 1911–12

Fourth Division / League Two (Tier 4)
Champions (1): 2001–02
Runners-up (1): 2016–17
Promotion (1): 2019–20
Play-off winners (1): 1995–96

Western Football League
Champions (1): 1904–05
Runners-up (1): 1906–07

South West Regional League
Champions (1): 1939–40

The Manager – Steven Schumacher

League Table

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

10 Dec Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Peterborough

17 Dec Wycombe 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

26 Dec Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Oxford Utd

29 Dec Portsmouth 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

2 Jan Lincoln City 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

Plymouth Argyle

17 Dec Plymouth 2 - 1 Morecambe

26 Dec Cheltenham 0 - 1 Plymouth

29 Dec Plymouth 1 - 0 Wycombe

1 Jan Plymouth 3 - 1 Milton Keynes

7 Jan Bolton 0 - 0 Plymouth

Head to Head

Match Referee – Andy Woolmer

IPSWICH TOWN 2 PLYMOUTH ARGYLE 1

shabba

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Plymouth Argyle Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by shabba » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:42 pm

HUGE game this! I suspect they’ll come here happy to take a point and keep the gap, so will be maybe a fairly defensive display.

Suspect we will go with the usual XI and have the new signings on the bench.

Sheffield Weds will be hoping they can win as they know one of their rivals will drop points. I read somewhere that weds are 18 games unbeaten? Is that really true? (All comps excluding penalty shootouts).

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:15 pm

shabba wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:42 pm
HUGE game this! I suspect they’ll come here happy to take a point and keep the gap, so will be maybe a fairly defensive display.

Suspect we will go with the usual XI and have the new signings on the bench.

Sheffield Weds will be hoping they can win as they know one of their rivals will drop points. I read somewhere that weds are 18 games unbeaten? Is that really true? (All comps excluding penalty shootouts).
Yes they are unbeaten in 18 if the penalty shootout loss is excluded. Apparently it is the longest unbeaten run for any club this season in the 4 top tiers. Time for them to lose one then. :lol:
Last edited by Shed on tour on Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:18 pm

Will go for a 1-1 draw.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:26 pm

But we'd be unbeaten if we didn't count the defeats lol

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:29 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:26 pm
But we'd be unbeaten if we didn't count the defeats lol
If every game was decided on penalty shootouts with our record in the past I somehow don’t think we would be in the promotion mix. :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:03 pm

I’ve gone for a Town win because we must win. But in my eyes the Sheffield Weds game is the far bigger game.

2-0 Town

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:23 pm

Talking of penalties do we actually have a designated taker now? I thought after the Morecambe game earlier in the season that Evans was it but last Saturday Chaplin quickly picked the ball up before Evans had a chance to take the first one. Perhaps it’s a case of whoever is feeling confident.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:36 pm

I’ve a feeling that McKenna will go bold and start with Nathan Broadhead and Conor Chaplin playing behind Freddie Ladapo.

He must be our most expensive signing since Michael Chopra and will want to get off to a flying start so we’re better than putting him in the starting line up. If we can get as much value from him as we are from Leif Davis I’ll be more than happy.

2-0 win for Town, debut goal for Broadhead and another great weekend for Town fans.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:40 pm

We have to win and we will win. 2-0 Town COYB's!!!!

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:42 pm

If Town play as they can do they are a better side than Plymouth. I thought for the first hour at Holm Park that Town were much better side then proceeded to throw it away with poor substitutions ans sloppy defending etc
Anything but a defeat will do for me, its the other fixtures that Town have to be more consistent with and start getting a run of wins together instead of the stuttering performances of the last few months

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:04 am

Spot on VR, I agree with everything you’ve written and whilst the result on its own won’t define our season it will make a huge difference. Most important as you say is putting a run of wind together which is something we seem to struggle with.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:43 am

Certainly hope you are correct in that the fixture on its own is not season defining. I hope Ipswich are not thumped at home here. 🤦‍♂️ That’d demoralise everyone, and put Plymouth 10 clear, and with their 5 new additions at the time of writing (as per write up) .,… that aint getting clawed back. Add in the shenanigans of SheffWeds……. for me, hugely defining….. On a par with the Lincoln result type of defining. At this stage, IF ITFC are serious, the real deal, a promotion chasing, championship side in the making, home WINS are imperative, especially against the rival who are threatening to open the gap.

Must win this @ Portman Road on Saturday. Kieron McKenna will know a draw, albeit not flatline disastrous; will be 2 massive points dropped. Get the pressure on the two rivals and don't let Derby get close.
Going for a 2-1 win here & 3pts. Want to say 2-0 but there is so much chat about the crap defence, ….. give Argyle just 1.
COYB’s💙

Ref:

4th official; “Andy? Whats happening? Whats your decision?”
Ref: “We got VAR?”
4th official: “No we haven’t, Andy”
Ref: “Ah well, fk knows, mate.”

Plymouth manager caption:
HEADLINE:

PLYMOUTH CELEBRATE ARRIVING IN IPSWICH AFTER THE LONGEST BUS JOURNEY EVER FROM CORNWALL OUTCROP TO EAST ANGLIA OUTCROP
(The actual story was shorter than the headline)

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:45 am

If we can have as many shots on target as we have had over past few games..with our extra 2 front men now...it will yield dividends..plus a shade under 30thousand roaring us on...I can see 3.1 to the town

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:49 am

No need to read up on Plymouth club honors and history. It's like Norwich, you can fill it in on back of a postage stamp. Reached an F.A. Cup semi-final back in '84 and a Watford fan had an ear chewed off. Fans of a certain age just may recall it. Whether Mike Tyson was in the crowd that day is open to question but anything else is just about immaterial.

Voted to draw, both teams have got too much to lose so anticipate a tentative battle with maybe not much in the way of goal chances. If they can take a point back west it'll represent a great score for them. It would be fabulous if we could manage a win, real good for morale etc and send an additional message out to the rest of the division we mean business but just envisage this particular opposition will be too tough a nut to crack even with a home advantage.

guess they'll travel over the day before rather than make the trip on the morning such is the distance between clubs. Make sense for them, logical thing to do, they don't want no great traveling on the day with such a pivotal game at stake. Worst case scenario, they win, we lose, SWFC get three points and the promotion issue becomes that bit extra complicated. But f*ck any negatives, we got the players to do it and with a vociferous home crowd in our corner the chance is there for a real standout victory. Regrettably, just think both teams will cancel each other out when game time arises.

ITFC 1 Plymouth 1

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:27 am

I do not agree that a draw will be an acceptable result - we are aiming to overhaul Plymouth so as we have home advantage we MUST get all 3 points, otherwise we will be relying on other teams later in the season doing what we failed to do.

If there was ever a game in which we need to show attacking intent, this is it - and we now have the personnel to do it.

If KM is brave and plays one number 10 behind 2 strikers I can see us winning this one easily, stick with one striker and 2 number 10s and we will be lucky to get away with a draw.

My team would be as follows:

---------------------Walton-------------------
---Donacien---Woolfenden---Burgess-----
---Edwards---Evans---Morsy---Davis---
---------------------Chaplin------------------
-------------Broadhead---Hirst--------------

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:47 am

Very attack minded side there and not one I would be against, however I would probably start with Burns and Ladapo over Edwards and Hirst but change it half time if not happening.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:12 pm

Nervous for this, goes without saying that it's a pivotal match, will get to see who's mind is gritty enough for the big occasion. A draw is just about ok, but a loss, and a Wednesday win (though they do have a tough match), then is looks like this...

Plymouth 60pts
Wednesday 55pts
Town 50pts

That's a long way to claw back at the sharp end of the table, Wednesday 'unbeaten' in 18, Plymouth continuing not to falter... a scenario that needs to be avoided for sure.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:33 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:27 am
I do not agree that a draw will be an acceptable result - we are aiming to overhaul Plymouth so as we have home advantage we MUST get all 3 points, otherwise we will be relying on other teams later in the season doing what we failed to do.

If there was ever a game in which we need to show attacking intent, this is it - and we now have the personnel to do it.

If KM is brave and plays one number 10 behind 2 strikers I can see us winning this one easily, stick with one striker and 2 number 10s and we will be lucky to get away with a draw.

I don’t think it will look much different to this Rossi although I can’t see him starting with both Broadhead and Hirst. Broadhead I think prefers to play behind a target man so maybe swap Ladapo for Hirst unless Hirst can be the target man, after all he is 6’3” but that seems hardly tall these days. I would also stick with Burns in place of Edwards, simply because when Donacien and Burns link up well Town are at their best.
Obviously our bench options to change things these days are unbelievable.
I can’t remember the last time I looked forward to a game more than the one coming up on Saturday when town fans will be hanging from the rafters to get a view.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:37 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:33 pm
rossi wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:27 am

I don’t think it will look much different to this Rossi although I can’t see him starting with both Broadhead and Hirst. Broadhead I think prefers to play behind a target man so maybe swap Ladapo for Hirst unless Hirst can be the target man, after all he is 6’3” but that seems hardly tall these days. I would also stick with Burns in place of Edwards, simply because when Donacien and Burns link up well Town are at their best.
Obviously our bench options to change things these days are unbelievable.
I can’t remember the last time I looked forward to a game more than the one coming up on Saturday when town fans will be hanging from the rafters to get a view.
Yeah I get your point, but the trouble is that Burns and Donacien have not been linking up nearly so well recently. Whether that's because other teams have sussed it out, or whether it's because of Burns not being in particularly good form I don't know, but whatever the reason it needs to change. Edwards hasn't let us down when he has come on, I just think he deserves the chance to start. Who knows, once the fact that he's not a cast iron 100% starter has penetrated Burns' wooly welsh head, he may find his form picks up.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:37 pm

Going for a win, for one we are the better team and secondly, we need it to close the points gap between us and them.

Be good to see the new lads feature and hopefully fire in a couple.

Going for a feisty goal fest, 3 -2 to the boys in blue, a draw would feel like a loss to me.

Best they bring some pasties with them for a bit of consolation eating on the trip back home.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:57 pm

The scary thing is who doesn't even make the bench now?!

I'd go:

Walton

JD
Wolfie
Burges
Davies

Evans
Morsy

Burns
Chaplin
Harness*

Ladapo

Bench:

Hladkey
Edmundson
Humpreys
Leigh
Broadhead
Hirst
Aluko

So KVY, Jackson, Keogh, Loungo miss out for me. The bench above gives you plenty of cover/options.

Harness is the one I'd say could be swapped straight out for Broadhead. Either way you can bring on 4-5 of those strong bench options as needed in the game.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:36 pm

So excited to be going to my first game since the Bristol Rovers one in September. It seems that this game has been on everybody's lips for weeks now and I am hoping therefore it lives up to it.
Don't really like making predictions for games of this magnitude, though went for the draw in this thread, mainly as I always fear making a "win" selection bringing bad luck! :lol: Would of course love to see a real statement win by a clear couple of goals or more.

Whatever happens the fans must get the stadium absolutely rocking on Saturday. I'll be in Block A of the Cobbold as backing singer for the SBR Lower! :wink:
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:28 pm

3 - 1 Town

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:58 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:37 pm
Going for a win, for one we are the better team and secondly, we need it to close the points gap between us and them.

Be good to see the new lads feature and hopefully fire in a couple.

Going for a feisty goal fest, 3 -2 to the boys in blue, a draw would feel like a loss to me.

Best they bring some pasties with them for a bit of consolation eating on the trip back home.
Still leaking goals then Dazzz ?

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:34 pm

Interesting side note but I noticed Sheffield Wednesday play Plymouth on feb 4th then us feb 11th! Huge week for the league that one.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:54 pm

Yep, still leaking goals Mike lol, but we will score more.

Cannot see things changing until we shore up the back, which I doubt we will address, so only option is to be lethal up top, hoping the new additions will prove their worth.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:45 pm

it would almost be amusing if its a 0-0 bore draw :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:13 pm

It will be a disaster if it’s a 0-0 draw Dave 🥲

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:24 pm

While a draw would be disappointing its not a disaster as long as we win the game in hand, the gap would only be 4 points.