League 1 - Oxford United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we repeat the 3-0 Boxing day win over Oxford again?

Oxford Win
11%
Ipswich Win
61%
Draw
28%

Total votes: 18

shabba

Re: League 1 - Oxford United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by shabba » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:13 pm

Low point of the season so far, we had to win today.

This feels more than a blip now, it’s the tipping point of something worse possibly.

I pray we can get things going again but exactly as Hallum says there are the same problems every single game now.
We could/should have easily had 3 goals today and Oxford no more than 1.

I don’t know where we go from here, something needs to change - formation, attitude, confidence- I’m not sure but we need to get back to winning and quickly.

I feel very demoralised.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:27 am

History could well repeat itself, if it is the play offs it looksa distinct possibility it could be Bolton and Barnsley, sound familiar?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:40 am

Not sure if it's Gorillas in the Mist or Baboons in the sh1t, but in truth starting to concern a little now about our actual ability to achieve an automatic promotion place. The weather condition/s as the game entered the latter sages seemed so slapstick, (I) were trying to pick out Abbott and Costello on the field. f**king farcical and then some.

Walton couldn''t be blamed for the winner, hell you couldn't see an incoming shot with that level of vision but thought the first could just have easily been avoided. Conditions were then clearer and we had a number of players in front or about their scorer but they managed to get ahead.

All other contenders around us got victories which only adds to frustrations, but you really got to concentrate on how WE do, not concern yourself about rivals and nearest challengers. Other teans particularly the top two seem to possess a certain momentum that gets them through games while we ourselves just don't seem to have that certain attribute.

Thing is we could just have easily taken a result from today. One or two names struck the frame of goal or missed real good opportunities to score. It's unfortunate and regrettable to find oneself writing up on another adverse score for the club name but once again there's a certain element missing from the team.

Brannigan got a winner ? Maybe we've lost our Self Control and there'll be no Gloria at end of season, but humor aside, I got to be concerned to some extent about what remains of the time ahead. The top two know how to maintain wins and remain consistent, that's something we lack. They're going to be tough to displace, and if the team continues to drop further points, (then) how the hell we going to make it ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:04 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:40 am
Not sure if it's Gorillas in the Mist or Baboons in the sh1t, but in truth starting to concern a little now about our actual ability to achieve an automatic promotion place. The weather condition/s as the game entered the latter sages seemed so slapstick, (I) were trying to pick out Abbott and Costello on the field. f**king farcical and then some.

Walton couldn''t be blamed for the winner, hell you couldn't see an incoming shot with that level of vision but thought the first could just have easily been avoided. Conditions were then clearer and we had a number of players in front or about their scorer but they managed to get ahead.

All other contenders around us got victories which only adds to frustrations, but you really got to concentrate on how WE do, not concern yourself about rivals and nearest challengers. Other teans particularly the top two seem to possess a certain momentum that gets them through games while we ourselves just don't seem to have that certain attribute.

Thing is we could just have easily taken a result from today. One or two names struck the frame of goal or missed real good opportunities to score. It's unfortunate and regrettable to find oneself writing up on another adverse score for the club name but once again there's a certain element missing from the team.

Brannigan got a winner ? Maybe we've lost our Self Control and there'll be no Gloria at end of season, but humor aside, I got to be concerned to some extent about what remains of the time ahead. The top two know how to maintain wins and remain consistent, that's something we lack. They're going to be tough to displace, and if the team continues to drop further points, (then) how the hell we going to make it ?
That's top drawer , Saint. You've been on fire recently. :lol: The opening sentence wasn't too shabby either with the reference to the fog. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:17 am

2 Days on and still not feeling any better, big questions for me where McKenna is concerned on several issues I'm afraid and not just after this fuckfest. I certainly can't be contributing to the positivity thread in a positive way at all.

This squad is easily the best on paper in this Division and should be out of sight, as we all know we would be out of sight if added on time didn't exist, but of course it does and we go to f**king pieces every single time.

Aside from one the signings are questionable, our starting line up never stays the same and players are rewarded for good performances by being bloody dropped to the bench, he's becoming a bit of a smart arse. Substitutions often baffle me, why oh why Morsy goes off against Plymouth f*ck knows but I wouldn't mind betting we don't concede that goal.

The list is numerous and the doubts begin to build for me, if we can't get out of this f**king sh*te league with Gamechanger, Ashton, McKenna, Morsy, Davis and all the other Championship quality players we have then I'm afraid it will never happen.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:48 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:17 am
2 Days on and still not feeling any better, big questions for me where McKenna is concerned on several issues I'm afraid and not just after this fuckfest. I certainly can't be contributing to the positivity thread in a positive way at all.

This squad is easily the best on paper in this Division and should be out of sight, as we all know we would be out of sight if added on time didn't exist, but of course it does and we go to f**king pieces every single time.

Aside from one the signings are questionable, our starting line up never stays the same and players are rewarded for good performances by being bloody dropped to the bench, he's becoming a bit of a smart arse. Substitutions often baffle me, why oh why Morsy goes off against Plymouth f*ck knows but I wouldn't mind betting we don't concede that goal.

The list is numerous and the doubts begin to build for me, if we can't get out of this f**king sh*te league with Gamechanger, Ashton, McKenna, Morsy, Davis and all the other Championship quality players we have then I'm afraid it will never happen.
You are absolutely correct Mike, especially with the substitutions and lineups, I have always maintained that you only need to make changes as and when necessary like maybe 2 players are having a sh*t game or one is injured then yes replace them, but to keep changing the team week in and week out on a rotation basis is only going to unsettle players why KM makes these changes just for the sake of it just baffles everyone, you don't see Plymouth or Sheff Wed and Derby keep making unnecessary changes to there team they have a winning squad and they stick with it, if we don't go up this season then I'm afraid KM won't be here very long. This Division is not for Tippy-Tappy playing out from the back, it's a division where you play the fast direct passing game with the odd long ball up to the front men, so he either changes his game plan to a winning one where we can hold onto a one-goal lead and play out until the final whistle not switch off in extra time, am I right here ????

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:15 pm

Mike, have to say imo your assessment is spot on. As I said the other day I feel the takeover has given us a fantastic opportunity to get out of this poxy league but that window is not going to last forever. In typical ITFC fashion it seems like somehow, someway we are trying our best to feck it up.
Since the game on Saturday I’ve read numerous posts on various sites saying that with the fixtures we have in the next 7-8 games we should pick up loads of points. I can’t see these teams that are struggling are just going to roll over and say there are the points. I’m sure their managers will be saying hang in there and even if you are trailing by a goal going into the last 10 minutes there’s every chance that lot will concede. I can even see the Cambridge away game being a lot more difficult than people think as they are will really be up for it.
Talking about being up for it, that is another thing that really disappointed me on Saturday as we were so flat at the start of the game and barely got out of our half in the first 10 minutes.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:16 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:15 pm
Mike, have to say imo your assessment is spot on. As I said the other day I feel the takeover has given us a fantastic opportunity to get out of this poxy league but that window is not going to last forever. In typical ITFC fashion it seems like somehow, someway we are trying our best to feck it up.
Since the game on Saturday I’ve read numerous posts on various sites saying that with the fixtures we have in the next 7-8 games we should pick up loads of points. I can’t see these teams that are struggling are just going to roll over and say there are the points. I’m sure their managers will be saying hang in there and even if you are trailing by a goal going into the last 10 minutes there’s every chance that lot will concede. I can even see the Cambridge away game being a lot more difficult than people think as they will really be up for it.
Talking about being up for it, that is another thing that really disappointed me on Saturday as we were so flat at the start of the game and barely got out of our half in the first 10 minutes.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:47 pm

I can’t decide between AP,s Gorilla post orMikes can’t be arsed being positive on the positivity thread for post of the week.

Even my missus laughed at these two posts, and she wouldn’t know what a football was even if one struck her in the face.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:14 pm

I think our two biggest problems that have haunted us all season and last season. is

1) We are no where near ruthless/ clinical enough in taking all these chances we create. Its ridiculous the misses these players continue to "achieve"!

2) We cant defend balls into our own box. Our Central defenders are average at best. But maybe our ability to prevent crosses coming into the box is also poor (Donacian/Davis?)

I'll say again, possession and shots on goal stats, wins you nothing, Goals do!