League 1 - Oxford United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we repeat the 3-0 Boxing day win over Oxford again?

Oxford Win
11%
Ipswich Win
61%
Draw
28%

Total votes: 18

patthegimp

Re: League 1 - Oxford United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by patthegimp » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:47 pm

Tinkerman

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:48 pm

Who said 1-0 is never enough ? All those games we pissed away through sh*te defending and yet Sheffield Wednesday are on course for their 7th 1-0 win because they can defend and will win the league.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:48 pm
Who said 1-0 is never enough ? All those games we pissed away through sh*te defending and yet Sheffield Wednesday are on course for their 7th 1-0 win because they can defend and will win the league.
…. and they’ve defended that lead since the 17th minute, mind you it’s not finished yet.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:50 pm

Well have to admit it, I was wrong. Plymouth are going up and it is us who will fall away.

Can see us in the playoffs after this performance, we are not going to get automatic promotion.

Feeling very demoralised at the moment, sorry.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
My dough on The Pilgrims

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Even with what was there best defender back at Cardiff.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:53 pm

Is this the time we need a mick Mccarthy or Keano attitude and flying hair dryer in the dressing room..could the quiet demeanour of mckenna and teacher like mentally be the undoing of our promotion chances. Jst saying..plus our defence is now porus....

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:53 pm

Play offs then but we can't even be sure if that,haven't had a good run of wins in weeks.hope the new guys can turn it around.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:54 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:46 pm
Well I can forget my prediction of going up automatically, not gonna happen
Town will NEVER “ walk promotion” we haven’t got the balls and know how to get out of this f**king shytehouse of a division. Tippy tappy football out from defence ? Laughable!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:56 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:53 pm
Is this the time we need a mick Mccarthy or Keano attitude and flying hair dryer in the dressing room..could the quiet demeanour of mckenna and teacher like mentally be the undoing of our promotion chances. Jst saying..plus our defence is now porus....
Our defence has been porous all season, hence pissing away 14 points in injury time.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:56 pm

Mariner67 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:53 pm
hope the new guys can turn it around.
Few if them had their chance today.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:58 pm

Utter sh*t Town …. Utter sh*t!

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:59 pm

10 pts off top and 7 pts off 2nd.
What is going on with Town.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:00 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:58 pm
And an utter sh*t drive home for Shed in the utter sh*t pea soup fog.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:00 pm

Embarrassing, this is the most pissed off I've felt since KM arrival. Sadly its us that are falling away as some predicted from about week 5.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:00 pm
Embarrassing, this is the most pissed off I've felt since KM arrival. Sadly its us that are falling away as some predicted from about week 5.
Yes, but he still has time to rectify. I wouldn’t be jumping on his case properly just yet.
Lets see how the young man (if the young man) can change the mentality. Still plenty time.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:06 pm

There is indeed still time Marko but it will be such hard work and we have not shown the stomach for the fight for a few weeks now so not sure we can find it in the weeks to come. Such a shame. Ut we only have ourselves to blame, sadly. We just have to see what happens now but I am more worried about those on our tail than those we hope to catch...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:14 pm

Yes, Derby have been quietly doing their thing…….. but re KMcK and this side ——>> personally feel he needs to be the one to see his OWN errors and work through it. Its not like he’s been f**king clueless from day one like Shaun Maloney @ Hibs.

Must admit, certainly do fear the next few games as it may define his job :shock: Him being emptied; got to think that wouldnt be good for “the big picture” that the club have sold the fans.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:20 pm

We had more goal scoring chances today than every other team in League One bar Shrewsbury and this is pretty much the same week in and week out. How we miss the target from inside the 6 yard box I will never know, and it’s been happening every week for a while.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:24 pm

4 games now define our season for me. Sheff weds (H), derby (A), barnsley (H) and Plymouth v Sheff Weds. the outcome of those will define play-off or Auto. I have to say that at the moment, the best I can see is 4 draws....

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:10 pm

Absolute awful performance. We started off as if we couldn’t give a sh*t. Tbh we didn’t deserve anything. Having said that though there was no way that game should have been allowed to finish. The Lino couldn’t even see half way across the pitch so how the hell he could make a offside or a penalty decision if required god knows. Couldn’t even see their winning goal due to the fog. A complete joke.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:13 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:00 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:58 pm
And an utter sh*t drive home for Shed in the utter sh*t pea soup fog.
I’m not driving home as she wouldn’t allow me to due to the mood I’m in! :lol: Got 5 miles outside of Oxford and no fog at all.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:29 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:24 pm
4 games now define our season for me. Sheff weds (H), derby (A), barnsley (H) and Plymouth v Sheff Weds. the outcome of those will define play-off or Auto. I have to say that at the moment, the best I can see is 4 draws....
Still got to go to Bolton as well.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:30 pm

Our problem is we simply can’t ADAPT to a situation.

Teams have sussed us. We suddenly look rudderless, and clueless. Every team we play n9w , we pla6 like Plymouth and now Oxford have done.

We can’t ( IMO), deal with the following .

1) Physical teams. Who rough us up and whose sole aim is to knock us out of stride. They succeed very single time against us , and not just against this squad.

2) High pressing or man to man approaches. We don’t have a plan B or C. We don’t MIX it up!

3) We don’t take our gilt edged chances . MISSED OPPORTUNITIES!

4) We can’t defend the ball in our box.

Points 3&4 happen EVERY GAME. WHY……???

5) “Think on our feet”. We decided in our infinite wisdom, to carry on playing. When we clearly were struggling with their approach all day long. We could have had another shot at this game on a Tuesday evening and dealt with their tactics better.
MISSED OPPORTUNITY!

6) Ooo it’s foggy…. Thinks 🤔 …why not try some shots from outside the box ( keeper won’t see it coming)! Oh no, not us, we carry on in our same old way and try and walk it into the f**king net!! ….OXFORD adapted , and took a snap shot…. GOAL….. no surprises there then eh .
MISSED OPPORTUNITY!

We’re our own worst enemy.

We’re not good enough for promotion.

We need to ADAPT our approach and tactics like other teams do.

Stop trying to play in LEAGUE THREE like we are f**king Barcelona !

Rant officially over.

Do I feel any better? NO! Because we’ve f*cked it up yet again for another season. And pleAse ot out the lines, “ there’s till time,….plenty of points still to play for .. etc etc.. Look at what we are doing EVERY GAME. We throw away points. possession , and percentages don’t win games. GOALS for do and being abate t9 defend do. We can do neither! At our current rate of form we will be luck to stay in the play offs.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:31 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:24 pm

Based on our current inabilities ..I predict the following……

Sheff W ( H). Lose
Derby ( a ) Lose
Barnsley ( a ) Lose

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:34 pm

Oh , and the Ref today f*cked up as usual!…Yet again. No surprise again there then!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... nother-day

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:40 pm

I'm not going to let negativity get me down..it is what it is ..18 games to go ..a remaining season of thirds ...first six games .if we can keep to within 3 to 4 points of second place .be good..nxt 6 games. Be a point.either side ..of second...and the remaining 6 ..any thing can happen..we have the firepower we know for sure. And we have age on our side too...Wednesday and plymouth have to surely drop points plus they know if we keep enough close to either of them..have they the mental toughness or legs to see us off ..jst let's see ..we may have lost a few battles but we haven't lost the war ..forgot about first place. Jst concentrate on second..maybe now people will start writing us off and we can start our purple patch and blow all and sundry out of the water..

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:51 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:34 pm
Oh , and the Ref today f*cked up as usual!…Yet again. No surprise again there then!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... nother-day
Hallam in the 2nd half we were singing who’s got the ball? You couldn’t see a fecking thing and as I said previously it was a complete farce to continue the game. That still doesn’t excuse our performance though.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:57 pm

I bet the American ownership is feeling a bit foggy about the millions they’ve just spent. I think it’s officially time to tell KM to get your finger out of your arse and turn things around!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:43 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:30 pm
Our problem is we simply can’t ADAPT to a situation.

Teams have sussed us. We suddenly look rudderless, and clueless. Every team we play n9w , we pla6 like Plymouth and now Oxford have done.

We can’t ( IMO), deal with the following .

1) Physical teams. Who rough us up and whose sole aim is to knock us out of stride. They succeed very single time against us , and not just against this squad.

2) High pressing or man to man approaches. We don’t have a plan B or C. We don’t MIX it up!

3) We don’t take our gilt edged chances . MISSED OPPORTUNITIES!

4) We can’t defend the ball in our box.

Points 3&4 happen EVERY GAME. WHY……???

5) “Think on our feet”. We decided in our infinite wisdom, to carry on playing. When we clearly were struggling with their approach all day long. We could have had another shot at this game on a Tuesday evening and dealt with their tactics better.
MISSED OPPORTUNITY!

6) Ooo it’s foggy…. Thinks 🤔 …why not try some shots from outside the box ( keeper won’t see it coming)! Oh no, not us, we carry on in our same old way and try and walk it into the f**king net!! ….OXFORD adapted , and took a snap shot…. GOAL….. no surprises there then eh .
MISSED OPPORTUNITY!

We’re our own worst enemy.

We’re not good enough for promotion.

We need to ADAPT our approach and tactics like other teams do.

Stop trying to play in LEAGUE THREE like we are f**king Barcelona !

Rant officially over.

Do I feel any better? NO! Because we’ve f*cked it up yet again for another season. And pleAse ot out the lines, “ there’s till time,….plenty of points still to play for .. etc etc.. Look at what we are doing EVERY GAME. We throw away points. possession , and percentages don’t win games. GOALS for do and being abate t9 defend do. We can do neither! At our current rate of form we will be luck to stay in the play offs.
Hallam……… was Ashfordblue at your computer today?! That was waaaay too ranty for you! :lol:

Got an investigator on the case. He says the application of paragraphs suggests the answer is no! :lol:

(Sorry, Ash…… ‘mon the jags an all that)