That game should have been abandoned!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Post Reply
hallamblue
Posts: 28740
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

That game should have been abandoned!

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:24 am

The ref absolutely 200% cocked up .

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... about-that


This is NOT an excuse for our poor form atm. But for gods sake just WHEN will we get some bloody justice from officials in this f**king division?

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2693
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: That game should have been abandoned!

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:29 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:24 am
The ref absolutely 200% cocked up .

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... about-that


This is NOT an excuse for our poor form atm. But for gods sake just WHEN will we get some bloody justice from officials in this f**king division?
I wasn't there, so have no opinion about how thick the fog was and how difficult it was to see the ball.

But there were 2 teams playing, so it's not just about us not getting justice it applies equally to Oxford.

I also don't know enough of the laws of the game to know if the referee was right or wrong, but there again no matter what the weather was like and no matter what the referee's interpretation of the rules, it was the same for both sides

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 7842
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: That game should have been abandoned!

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:50 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:29 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:24 am
The ref absolutely 200% cocked up .

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... about-that


This is NOT an excuse for our poor form atm. But for gods sake just WHEN will we get some bloody justice from officials in this f**king division?
I wasn't there, so have no opinion about how thick the fog was and how difficult it was to see the ball.

But there were 2 teams playing, so it's not just about us not getting justice it applies equally to Oxford.

I also don't know enough of the laws of the game to know if the referee was right or wrong, but there again no matter what the weather was like and no matter what the referee's interpretation of the rules, it was the same for both sides
Rossi, the conditions were really bad, I was sat in the stand along the side of the pitch and you could barely see halfway across to the touchline the other side. Didn’t even know they had scored their second until I heard their fans celebrating.However, as you say it was the same for both sides and certainly no excuse for the clear cut chances we yet again managed to miss.

hallamblue
Posts: 28740
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: That game should have been abandoned!

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:59 pm

Maybe they used their brains and took a chance in the situation BECAUSE no one could see further than 4ft in front of them. We don’t use our heads individually or collectively. We kept trying to walk the ball in the net. This is what I mean about a failure to adapt to situations.

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 7842
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: That game should have been abandoned!

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:12 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:59 pm
Maybe they used their brains and took a chance in the situation BECAUSE no one could see further than 4ft in front of them. We don’t use our heads individually or collectively. We kept trying to walk the ball in the net. This is what I mean about a failure to adapt to situations.
There were 4 clear chances (Harness, Burns, Hirst and Chaplin) where not only they couldn’t find the net they didn’t even get them on target and none of those were due to the conditions. Unbelievable the number of chances we need to create before we manage to score a goal.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2693
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: That game should have been abandoned!

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:17 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:59 pm
Maybe they used their brains and took a chance in the situation BECAUSE no one could see further than 4ft in front of them. We don’t use our heads individually or collectively. We kept trying to walk the ball in the net. This is what I mean about a failure to adapt to situations.
agreed Liz - I guess that's the problem with having a manager who believes in playing only one way - not sure if that's because it's the only way he knows or for some other reason, what I do know is that we were saying exactly the same thing when PC was manager, and that's why - although I don't deny we've progressed as a club - I do not concur with people who say we are so much better a team this season

User avatar
arana peligrosa
Posts: 9936
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: That game should have been abandoned!

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:06 pm

suppose we had won yesterday, would anyone advocate for the game to have been called off then. Makes you wonder sometime.

wasn't there the option furthermore of canceling proceedings during the second-half when the scores were tied and both teams accepting a point from it ?

Think in retrospect it would have been the right thing to do but it's only with hindsight following a loss you can only speak out on it and make recommendations. Oxford had the same weather phenomenon as ourselves, it's not like they closed down the field and added the mist just to inconvenience us.

Just for good measure there were a game in the (English) Women's League today where they called off the event just 5 minutes in - frost on the field was the reason or some level of icy concern. 85 + minutes of action went to total waste. Guess they're having a similar debate to here maybe.

Post Reply