FA Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Burnley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Cup run stops here?

Ipswich Win
24%
Burnley Win
53%
Replay
24%

Total votes: 17

arana peligrosa

Re: FA Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Burnley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:51 pm

It's a cup tie, all things are possible. it's not about who's in what division or who has the greater set of players but simply whoever wants it more on the day. Whichever team has the greater desire to progress tomorrow will go through, it's pretty simple math.

Took a moment recent to imagine the thought of both an automatic promotion and a Cup Final appearance for us but whimsical thinking aside, got to accept the chances of each together are between slim and Karen Carpenter. Any team that gets beyond this stage you then realize you only got another 15 club names to beat in order to win the damn thing. Dreams and expectation kind of take on a new reality.

voted to tie, a replay game seems likely. Would want to win obviously, it will send out further message to all other teams up and down the leagues we're on our way back and becoming established once again however will have to take a chance in a return fixtue at their Turf Moor venue.

one last time, whoever possess the greater desire and ambition will gain a victory, I do hope McKenna fields a strong team and plenty of attacking intent, after that, all things are possible.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:27 am
number 9 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:07 am
I fully expect KM to change the line up as well he should. Promotion is our priority. How would we all feel if Ladapo or Broadhead got injured? Burnley are better than us no matter who plays, so why risk injury in a competition we won’t win anyway?
Wasn't long ago most on here wouldn't have give a sh*t if Ladapo was injured lol
Guilty as charged 🙋‍♂️

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:57 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:51 pm
It's a cup tie, all things are possible. it's not about who's in what division or who has the greater set of players but simply whoever wants it more on the day. Whichever team has the greater desire to progress tomorrow will go through, it's pretty simple math.

Took a moment recent to imagine the thought of both an automatic promotion and a Cup Final appearance for us but whimsical thinking aside, got to accept the chances of each together are between slim and Karen Carpenter. Any team that gets beyond this stage you then realize you only got another 15 club names to beat in order to win the damn thing. Dreams and expectation kind of take on a new reality.

voted to tie, a replay game seems likely. Would want to win obviously, it will send out further message to all other teams up and down the leagues we're on our way back and becoming established once again however will have to take a chance in a return fixtue at their Turf Moor venue.

one last time, whoever possess the greater desire and ambition will gain a victory, I do hope McKenna fields a strong team and plenty of attacking intent, after that, all things are possible.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Right…… someone get the “live @ the Apollo” stage booked for Saint. 👍👌👏👏👏👏👏

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:33 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:44 am
number 9 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:07 am
I fully expect KM to change the line up as well he should. Promotion is our priority. How would we all feel if Ladapo or Broadhead got injured? Burnley are better than us no matter who plays, so why risk injury in a competition we won’t win anyway?
That's a very good point and exactly why I picked the 11 above. 👍
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23281585.i ... a-cup-tie/

Looks like KMck agrees with protecting the main priority which is the League. The case for the sensible rests. :lol: :lol:

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:05 pm

Given Hladkey has given an interview I'd expect him to start.

I'll predict:

Hladkey

Donacian
Woolfie
Burges
Leigh

Llongo
Humpreys

Jackson
Aluko
Harness

Hirst

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:00 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:05 pm

I'll predict:

Hladkey

Donacian
Woolfie
Burges
Leigh

Llongo
Humpreys

Jackson
Aluko
Harness

Hirst
Yep that's definitely a option 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:11 pm

Which is what TWTD predicted wasn't it ? Lol

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:49 pm

Oh, I genuinely didn’t look at that.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:56 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:05 pm

I'll predict:

Hladkey

Donacian
Woolfie
Burges
Leigh

Llongo
Humpreys

Jackson
Aluko
Harness

Hirst

If this is what he goes with tomorrow it would be a bitter disappointment to many of the players who would love to pitch themselves against better opposition to test how far they’ve come. I think the fans would be pretty pissed off too.

I’m hoping McKenna goes bold and does what Pep has done tonight with Manchester City v Arsenal making only 2 changes which for me for Town would be Hladkey and Donacien in for Walton and Clarke.

Mikel Arteta has only made 6 changes including the one certainty to give Tossard his first start after his £20m move from Brighton.

Come on Town, let’s not waste this brilliant draw.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:57 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:49 pm
Kieron McShabba

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:20 pm

Considering we are holding back some players and Clarke Cup tied .a decent performance against Burnley and Bow out will do me ..overrun And beaten by 4 or more goals would do us no good ..getting out of this auful league is no 1 priority

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:33 am

shabba wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:49 pm
I was only kidding, I don't think they picked Aluko

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:39 am

Having just listened to McKenna’s interview earlier today it’s clear he will be making change’s tomorrow, I just hope he goes 5 max.
I see no reason why he cant have Ladapo Broadhead & Chaplin upfront, they all went off early in midweek as did Morsy too. Change keepers to give Hladkey some game time and Donacien for the Cup tied Harry Clarke. Central defence is a worry, he could give Keogh and Edmundson more game time together which would make sense rather than break them up, or he could bring back Woolfie or Burgess or even worse both. This would just leave him with the midfield and wings to tinker around with. The only problem in this department is this is where our most most influential players are, eg Burns and Davis who are the most likely goal assist players. I would also like to see Evans play as his vision and long ball passing is just what we need tomorrow.
I know the likes of Leigh, Edwards, Humphrey’s, Aluko and Harkness etc won’t let the side down, and I know the League is our No 1 priority but I really want to see us give them a good game.

Thinking it though how about;

Hladkey
Donacien Woolfie Edmundson Davis
Evans Morsy Humphrey’s
Chaplin. Broadhead
Ladapo

Subs; Walton, Keogh, Burns, Aluko, Luongo, Edwards, Harkness, Hirst and Jackson. (7 subs can be used in FA Cup ties so nobody needs to get knackered and Burnley are pretty unlikely to kick us off the park.

To be honest I think we’d miss the Donacien - Burns link up play down the right flank but I can’t see where to make other changes without significantly weakening the team.

For me the above is the weakest line up I’d want to start with.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:40 am

mendipblue wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:33 pm
Looks like KMck agrees with protecting the main priority which is the League. The case for the sensible rests. :lol: :lol:
Don't kid yourself, why don't you listen properly to what he says? He says he will make changes to keep the squad interested, NOT to save certain players for the league. In other words, he can't help himself tinkering.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:17 am

I reckon the team who walked off after Morcambe will start against Burnley, and the ones who were subbed off during the game will come on, maybe if and when.
Last edited by Mauswara on Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:25 pm

He could of course be playing mind games with the opposition lulling them into expecting an easy game and then go with a strong line up. For the rest of us anything can happen, only McKenna and his inner circle know exactly what his plans are, but each time he talks about testing how far we’ve come against better opposition can only be put to the test by fielding a strong team. Playing our Second X1 would test nothing.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:33 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:17 am
I reckon the team who walked off after Cheltenham will start against Burnley, and the ones who were subbed off during the Cheltenham game will come on, maybe if and when.

That’s pretty much my thinking Mauseara with our only difference being you having Burns in for Evans and me replacing Harkness with Nathan Broadhead.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:15 pm

I meant Morecambe not Cheltenham, I am old and forgetful.

Same thing really. 3rd Division.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:20 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:33 pm
Mauswara wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:17 am
I reckon the team who walked off after Cheltenham will start against Burnley, and the ones who were subbed off during the Cheltenham game will come on, maybe if and when.

That’s pretty much my thinking Mauseara with our only difference being you having Burns in for Evans and me replacing Harkness with Nathan Broadhead.
He'll give minutes to the newbies, Hirst for sure. 5th round would be nice though and would be a big feel good.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:22 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:15 pm
I meant Morecambe not Cheltenham, I am old and forgetful.

Same thing really. 3rd Division.
🤣 No worries mate, I’m in the “old boys cub” too.

That’s probably why we still get excited by the FA Cup, and seeing Town win at Highbury in the SF v WBA is still one of my most memorable moments following Town.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:02 pm

Disappointing line up, not unexpected, I'm glad I put no goalscorer as there are literally no goals in that team.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:05 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:08 pm
Hladky
Donacien
Woolfenden
Burgess
Leigh
Humphries
Morsey or Evans
Edwards
Jackson
Adhadme
Harness
This is the line up we need to start. Keep the big guns back for Cambridge.
Predicted 8 out of 11 happy with that. Well done KMck for looking after the priority. Sensible, intelligent thinking. 💥 Boom :lol:
https://twitter.com/IpswichTown/status/ ... 8431417345

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:41 pm

Guess Burns is injured, 3 goal assists against Morecombe, with clarke feeding the strikers.Whats the point in competing in a competition unless we are to play our best starting 11.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:42 pm

Bolton keep on winning I see! 2-1 at Charlton today.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:05 pm

What’s the point of taking money from the fans and playing our reserves v their reserves. No defence and no attack ! Oh well, just sit back and hope for a surprise.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:49 pm

Well the reserves have done well in the first half much better than I expected, just hope they can keep it up second half 👏👏👏COYB.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:50 pm

Disappointed with our squad today if that's the one McKenna has fielded. If the fourth round of the F.A. Cup for fucks sake, at least take it a little more seriously. The opportunity would be there today to make the next round with a stronger line up but what can you do.

Seems no score as yet but real wish we can win and process from this.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:53 pm

Town playing well and holding their own. Hirst first touch has let him down Hladky distribution could be better. Town pressing and closing down has been excellent. Town have 1/2 chanes with Harness hitting the bar.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:55 pm

The problem is we know the goal assists in the main come from Burns down the right and Davis from the left and with neither of them playing decent opportunities and few and far between and what we do get is simply blasted over the bar. We may well have had a shot on target but there won’t have been many and the most positive comment I can think is, “we’re not losing”.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:57 pm

Maybe McKenna will give it a go in the second half, the games definitely there to be won if we’re up for it.