FA Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Burnley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Cup run stops here?

Ipswich Win
24%
Burnley Win
53%
Replay
24%

Total votes: 17

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: FA Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Burnley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:16 pm

It feels like Burnley are turning the screw a bit and getting on top. Time for a couple of changes I think, but thanks to Hladkey we’re still in it.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:17 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:57 pm
Maybe McKenna will give it a go in the second half, the games definitely there to be won if we’re up for it.
BBC website suggests Burnley are turning the screw.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:18 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:17 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:57 pm
Maybe McKenna will give it a go in the second half, the games definitely there to be won if we’re up for it.
BBC website suggests Burnley are turning the screw.
That’s exactly what’s happening Mark.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:23 pm

Here we go, with both teams bringing on reinforcements. Burnley with three regular starters Zaroury, Brownhills & Cullen and Town with Freddie’s Ladapo, Conor Chaplin & Nathan Broadhead for Hirst, Aluko & Harkness.

We now pretty much have the stating line up I was hoping for.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:28 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:23 pm
Here we go, with both teams bringing on reinforcements. Burnley with regular starters Zaroury, Brownhills & Cullen and Town with Freddie’s Ladapo, Conor Chaplin & Nathan Broadhead
Sounds like 2 chess masters in McKenna & Kompany. In truth, with my score prediction, however this game finishes I am happy that we are still in with a chance!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:36 pm

good we got some strong first teamers involved now although some would argue they should have been in from the start. Not sure how feel about no score with some 70 minutes played. Kind of pleased we're holding our own out there but worried to some extent they can snatch a win and go through themselves. Don't really want a replay game, the opportunity is there today to do this first time of asking.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:41 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:36 pm
good we got some strong first teamers involved now although some would argue they should have been in from the start. Not sure how feel about no score with some 70 minutes played. Kind of pleased we're holding our own out there but worried to some extent they can snatch a win and go through themselves. Don't really want a replay game, the opportunity is there today to do this first time of asking.
Yes, a replay would not be helpful as I believe it would come in the week leading to the big Sheffield Wednesday game. That's a long journey!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:44 pm

Luongo on for his 2nd debut, in place of Morsy!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:45 pm

Great attendance again this afternoon, 25,420.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:46 pm

We’re certainly having a go, far more entertaining with a little more class on the pitch. The last thing we need though is a replay although Sheff Wed are in the same situation in added time.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:06 pm

Well we've learnt a lot from this 0-0 match against a very strong Burnley team, now we can go to Turf Moor and beat them on their own patch Burnley 1 Ipswich 2 :)

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:09 pm

Game should be near it's end by now, still got no score but we'll be in the Fifth Round draw if nothng else.

Seems both teams gave it a go today, something of a traditional F.A. Cup tie with lots of opportunity and action for fans to take in. Disappointed if we don't win but far better than being eliminated. I think Burnley fans players and club officials will be relieved to have survived - if those are the operative words - from their trip down to us today. They would have known just how tough a tie it would be them as much as it were for ourselves.

I got a final score as 0 - 0, pleased we're still in the competition but kind of dismayed to have seen something of an opportunity go by the wayside today with a home advantage. The team did well today, all right we didn't win but kind of sent a message out once again we're back in business and a club name to take seriously. Catch up with game analysis and further reaction when time permits it.

Mark, Hibernian beat Aberdeen by 6- 0 in the SPL today ? Seriously, what the f*ck.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:10 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:55 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:27 am
number 9 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:07 am
I fully expect KM to change the line up as well he should. Promotion is our priority. How would we all feel if Ladapo or Broadhead got injured? Burnley are better than us no matter who plays, so why risk injury in a competition we won’t win anyway?
Wasn't long ago most on here wouldn't have give a sh*t if Ladapo was injured lol
Guilty as charged 🙋‍♂️
Hibs 6 - Aberdeen 0 WTF went on here Marco :shock:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:13 pm

:) Sheff Wed 1v Fleetwood 1 so Wed have a replay at Fleetwood

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:13 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:09 pm

Mark, Hibernian beat Aberdeen by 6- 0 in the SPL today ? Seriously, what the f*ck.
Shockingly bad week for Aberdeen!

Be interesting to see who we may or may not play in the 5th round.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:17 pm

Excellent performance today, proud of them, much the better side first half and pretty even second. They all played well, Hladky Excellent in goal and so much more assured with ball at feet than Walton.

I thought Edmundson did really well too, nobody really let us down in truth. If only Broadhead had shot when he tried to play Freddie in towards the end we may well have won it. Well done all.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:17 pm
Excellent performance today, proud of them, much the better side first half and pretty even second. They all played well, Hladky Excellent in goal and so much more assured with ball at feet than Walton.

I thought Edmundson did really well too, nobody really let us down in truth. If only Broadhead had shot when he tried to play Freddie in towards the end we may well have won it. Well done all.
Yep thoroughly deserved draw. Neither side want a draw to be honest. Replay hopefully will be on TV extra dollar in the coffers. Enjoyed the whole game. A good 0-0 to watch 2 good football teams playing football.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:49 pm

Swivel in that ya 6fingered , web footed scum troll Scumtton.

A simply outstanding performance by essentially our second string vs the reportedly best team in the EFL.

We should have won that game this afternoon. Take this impetus forward into the Feb games and hopefully it’ll see us close the gap on the top two.

It’ll be interesting to see sutton’s scum outfit do against Burnley next Sat in the league ..

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:13 pm

The only downside to this draw is we now have to travel to Burnley in the same week we play SWFC. We have all the luck don’t we any other week other than that week. ffs!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Yes Mike - I couldn't believe it when he passed as it was opening up for him!! I was shouting my head off doe him to hit it. So frustrating that we don't shoot enough. Still - we outplayed the best in the Championship for 60 minutes and matched them for the rest. I never felt they were going to break away - and they really didn't like it either! Fantastic performance - we just need to bloody well SHOOT sometimes!!!!

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:28 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:08 pm
Predicted 8 out of 11 happy with that. Well done KMck for looking after the priority. Sensible, intelligent thinking. 💥 Boom :lol:
https://twitter.com/IpswichTown/status/ ... 8431417345
Oh yeah, very sensible and intelligent...... NOT - play a 2nd string line-up that hasn't got a goal in it, and achieve a draw and a long journey to replay in the same week we have a must-win game. maybe intelligent in Zummerzet, but not in many other places I think :wink:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:08 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:13 pm
The only downside to this draw is we now have to travel to Burnley in the same week we play SWFC. We have all the luck don’t we any other week other than that week. ffs!
Liz Sheff Wed also have a replay at Fleetwood not an easy game

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:31 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Nice to see Hladky getting praise. He was an outstanding keeper at St Mirren. Hopefully he can establish himself in the now.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:32 pm

I’ve only just seen that Ash 👍😁…. Here’s hoping Fleetwood rough em up a bit …. Make that, a lot

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:34 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:31 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Nice to see Hladky getting praise. He was an outstanding keeper at St Mirren. Hopefully he can establish himself in the now.
Ever since he’s joined us VR I’ll be honest and say I’ve never really been that taken with him. But today, for me, he shone like a star. I’ve got confidence in him now.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:43 pm

Our attendance will have been the second highest of all the draws today ..more than a few premier ship sides and championship sides...jst Goes to show how far our club has progressed and how our new owners and manager has made it feel so special..even our fans want to come out in force to watch their club playing in a so called mickey mouse competition..in some people's eyes

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:14 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Exactly my thoughts, perfect summary.

Replay not ideal and part of me says just play a second string XI - at least it will keep everyone match fit and fresh. I genuinely feel our second XI isn’t that bad so can go and compete. This was a free hit and so is the replay.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:06 pm

So, the question is; How do you approach the replay? Personally I think Vincent Kompany will go with a near full strength side in the return, not leaving anything to chance. However, will Keiran do the same with a huge game on the horizon?

Seeing that Pep has just knocked out his former pupil Arteta, what chance that the 5th round draw will see the chance (if Burnley prevail) for Kompany to pit his witts against his old boss?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:55 am

Game highlights suggested they were the better team today, they had more chances and goal opportunity but only going by way of what was shown. Whether that's an accurate tell on the action or otherwise, got to admit, thought we did well today. Held an opposition team from a higher division who are arguably the best of their own league and what's more we could just have won ourselves, taken a victory and further progress from today etc.

Took a moment to think back to '92 when we drew 0 - 0 in this competition (at a similar stage) against a team from higher division and one of our players or two hit the crossbar, so close to scoring but denied by a goal frame. That's what this club name has missed in the past 30 years, going on a run of sorts in the competition and providing excitement for the fans. All right today wasn't quite on the same level but certain similarities could be observed.

25 and a half thousand represented a fine crowd, it's a shame we couldn't reward them with a victory. Not worried about any replay event, can recall a trip to Blackburn years back when they were League Champions and taking a replay victory from it. We need a Paul Mason type in the return game this time around and with some fortune, who's to say we can't do it. Burnley don't want no replay as much as ourselves and such is their position (and focus) in the above league, got to believe they can be got at in the return.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:00 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:55 am
Game highlights suggested they were the better team today, they had more chances and goal opportunity but only going by way of what was shown. Whether that's an accurate tell on the action or otherwise, got to admit, thought we did well today. Held an opposition team from a higher division who are arguably the best of their own league and what's more we could just have won ourselves, taken a victory and further progress from today etc.

Took a moment to think back to '92 when we drew 0 - 0 in this competition (at a similar stage) against a team from higher division and one of our players or two hit the crossbar, so close to scoring but denied by a goal frame. That's what this club name has missed in the past 30 years, going on a run of sorts in the competition and providing excitement for the fans. All right today wasn't quite on the same level but certain similarities could be observed.

25 and a half thousand represented a fine crowd, it's a shame we couldn't reward them with a victory. Not worried about any replay event, can recall a trip to Blackburn years back when they were League Champions and taking a replay victory from it. We need a Paul Mason type in the return game this time around and with some fortune, who's to say we can't do it. Burnley don't want no replay as much as ourselves and such is their position (and focus) in the above league, got to believe they can be got at in the return.
Apart from the fact they had those couple of shots there was in truth not a lot in it,Hirst put one just wide,Harness hit the bar so it really could have gone either way😄 It really was a very good game of football though no matter what the ‘pundits’ claimed!