FA Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Burnley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Cup run stops here?

Ipswich Win
24%
Burnley Win
53%
Replay
24%

Total votes: 17

Frosty
Forum Owner

FA Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Burnley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:22 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Burnley FCImage

FA Cup 4th Round

Saturday 28th January 2023 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

As we all know, One Swallow does not make a Summer but boy was Tuesday night's performance against Morecambe a vast improvement on much of what has gone before in recent Weeks/Months, particularly the opening Forty Five minutes where I thought we blew them away, we went in Four goals up when in truth it could well have been Seven with One off the Post, Two good saves by their keeper and at least Three other chances that I can recall going begging, yes it was that good, some of the Football was a joy to watch at times and I don't believe anyone in this Division would have stayed with us playing like we did.

Having gripes against the Manager in recent times has not been easy for me to admit but watching Tuesday's game convinced me it was completely justified and correct, changing pretty much the entire back line was no coincidence based on recent weeks, and while there will be tougher games to come the new defence kept that all important clean sheet and for the most part looked very comfortable and solid, so much so our visitors failed to register a single effort on target, at the other end it just goes to show how when the tactics and personnel are right everything looks so much better, my old mate Freddie Ladapo had a blinder of a first half, Two good strikers goals, some superb hold up play, classy flicks to bring others into play and a general energy about his performance all contributed to what for me was a man of the match performance, i had requested prior to kick off a forward line of Ladapo up front with Chaplin & Broadhead in behind him, thankfully that is what we got and boy did it work, Two goals for Chaplin complimented Ladapo's brace and between them they now have twenty Eight goals in all competitions which is pretty impressive at this stage of the campaign.

New signings always seem to bring a bit of a bounce to any team and for me Nathan Broadhead & Harry Clarke looked class for this level, Clarke was such a driving force down our Right side and with Wes Burns caused them all sorts of problems, it was not luck that Three of our goals came from our play down that side, that looks to have the makings of a very god partnership, as does that of Ladapo and Broadhead, the latter looks such a clever player and if he was the difference in Freddie's performance then bring it on.

Seeing Luke Woolfenden & Cameron Burgess removed from the line of fire was one thing but seeing them out of the match day Eighteen all together was quite surprising, maybe just maybe the penny has dropped in that they really arent anything special most of the time, I have not been George Edmundson's greatest admirer either but alongside Richard keogh he looked much improved, he also got on the end of Two set pieces to send headers goalwards in that first half siege, maybe he has had the kick up the backside that the others are now getting, something had to change and change it did.

While it is only One performance we have to start a run somewhere and maybe this is it, however we have to stick with this line up at Cambridge, all too often Kieran McKenna has changed it up after a good win, that needs to stop, get some continuity going and play the players in form who actually deserve to be there, only then will we see the real benefits of a settled side, the odd change is one thing, half the team is quite absurd. We still have that run of winnable games coming up and suddenly they do look winnable again, even Sheffield Wednesday don't bother me when we can play as we did in that opening Forty Forty, maybe just maybe we are back in the race, there is plenty of work to do but suddenly it looks possible again.

This weekend see's a break from League action as we host Premier league bound Burnley FC at Portman Road in the Fourth round of the FA Cup, I think there may well be a host of changes to our line up and while it still irks me a bit I won't be unduly worried on this occasion, the focus has to be Cambridge the following week and to be honest whoever we select I really do not see us causing a cup upset here, I will be happy to keep it respectable while praying for a shock win to see us into the last Sixteen, stranger things happen, just ask Darvel FC, and of course at our best and with some swagger in our play we can play a bit ourselves too. I would love to say it's a Town win but my head says this is where we bow out of the Cup for another year, hopefully next season we join it at the Third round stage. What number are we in the Fifth round Draw ? :wink: COYB'S

The Opposition – Burnley FC Honours

League

First Division

Winners: 1920–21, 1959–60
Runners–up: 1919–20, 1961–62

Second Division/Championship

Winners: 1897–98, 1972–73, 2015–16
Promoted: 1912–13, 1946–47, 2013–14
Play–off winners: 2008–09

Third Division

Winners: 1981–82
Promoted: 1999–2000
Play–off winners: 1993–94

Fourth Division

Winners: 1991–92

Cup

FA Cup

Winners: 1913–14
Runners–up: 1946–47, 1961–62

FA Charity Shield

Winners: 1960 (shared),[h] 1973[e]
Runners–up: 1921

Texaco Cup

Runners–up: 1973–74

Anglo-Scottish Cup

Winners: 1978–79

Associate Members' Cup

Runners–up: 1987–88

Lancashire Cup

Winners: (12) 1889–90, 1914–15, 1949–50, 1951–52, 1959–60, 1960–61, 1961–62, 1964–65, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1971–72, 1992–93

The Manager - Vincent Kompany

Match Referee – Tom Nield

IPSWICH TOWN 1 BURNLEY FC 1

hallamblue

Re: FA Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Burnley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:00 pm

Looking forward to this one . I hope we can hold our own and I’ve gone for a replay (not that I really want one, just don’t want a defeat but can’t see us beating them)!

2-2

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:15 am

It’s almost impossible to predict with no idea what teams the managers are likely to play although I suspect both will go with strong line ups. We could spring a surprise and we could see a goal fest but after watching Burnley’s last cup game at Bournemouth I’ve a feeling they’ll score one more than us even if it takes the game to 3-4. But what a treat that would be for the fans and then we can concentrate on the League again.

As for the draw numbers Mike, I don’t think they’ve been released yet.

Prediction 3-4

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:25 am

Nice preview......., and same...... SheffWed don't bother me either. Watched extended highlights v Fleetwood ---->> Ipswich should have a decent chance vs them in a few weeks time.

Voted win above. Could be the first game where it'll be reminiscent to his Man Utd days for KMcK......, could see Ipswich getting plenty chances because absolutely no chance are Burnley turning up to "park"......, could be a very entertaining game. 2-1 ITFC.

Ref Caption:

HEY REF......, GOT 50 BUCKS ON IPSWICH.
Ref: (Picture)

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:51 am

I'd like to see us go for it. Sure, we might have no chance of winning the cup, unimaginable, as if, but as a measure against the Championship high fliers it's something to look forward to.

A line-up not too dissimilar to that which started on Tuesday wouldn't surprise me.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:17 am

Mauswara wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:51 am
I'd like to see us go for it.
I think they have to really, it would be very poor to limp out the 4th round without giving it a go. It's always awkward when you're in a promotion or relegation battle and stumble in to a cup run (if it can be called that yet!), especially as a third tier club.

The winner does get £120k though, which should just about cover the goal bonuses for Broadhead's hattrick. Gate receipts from 5th round football are also likely to be juicy!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:20 am

I see this as a free hit and therefore hopefully we will try and go for it. Having said that, I think Burnley will be too strong for us on the day.

Town 1 Burnley 3

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:40 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:20 am
I see this as a free hit and therefore hopefully we will try and go for it. Having said that, I think Burnley will be too strong for us on the day.

Town 1 Burnley 3
Yes go for it. So a back three..........3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1..?

Might be asking too much of the wing-backs against a team destined for the Prem but as you say a free hit and the home crowd will be very vocal I'm sure!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:08 pm

Hladky
Donacien
Woolfenden
Burgess
Leigh
Humphries
Morsey or Evans
Edwards
Jackson
Adhadme
Harness
This is the line up we need to start. Keep the big guns back for Cambridge.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:37 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:08 pm
Hladky
Donacien
Woolfenden
Burgess
Leigh
Humphries
Morsey or Evans
Edwards
Jackson
Adhadme
Harness
and lose any momentum we may have gained on Tuesday night :astroll: :astroll:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:08 pm

Latest Preview from Sports Mole who see’s it differently which is much more in line with my thinking and would justify Tuesday nights substitutions.

McKenna may be prepared to name a similar Ipswich XI given that he was able to rest several of his key men during the second half versus Morecambe.
However, Harry Clarke is cup-tied having already represented Stoke City in this competition, which should see Janoi Donacien return to the back three.
Nathan Broadhead and George Hirst, who have spent loan spells at Wigan Athletic and Blackburn Rovers this season, are both available.
Scott Twine netted Burnley's winner versus West Brom in their last match and may be provided with his first start of the season.
Goalkeeper Bailey Peacock-Farrell should feature between the sticks, while Jay Rodriguez is in line for a recall in attack.
Of the three recent signings, Hjalmar Ekdal is most likely to be handed a debut in the centre of defence.
Ipswich Town possible starting lineup:
Walton; Donacien, Keogh, Edmundson; Burns, Evans, Morsy, Davis; Chaplin, Ladapo, Broadhead
Burnley possible starting lineup:
Muric; Roberts, Beyer, Taylor, Maatsen; Cullen, Bastien; Tella, Twine, Zaroury; Barnes

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:12 pm

I have a feeling our line up will be much changed from that, I hope not but that's what I'm expecting

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:29 pm

I just want to see us give them a game and maintain our momentum. Just imagine what a good result would do for club and players morale and confidence.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:41 pm

If we play like we did in the first half against Morecombe, we will win,if Burns & Clarke feed the strikers we will have this in the bag :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:06 pm

Mariner67 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:41 pm
Clarke
Cup-tied according to the piece Charnwood posted further up.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:12 pm

Think we will lose 3-1, Burnley are very good.

Suspect he will bring Wolfie and Burges back in, Hirst may start otherwise fairly 'regular' lineup.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:16 pm

Shame about Clarke ,Burnley will be probably playing their second Team, we should play our best starting 11

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:18 pm

shabba wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:12 pm
Think we will lose 3-1, Burnley are very good.

Suspect he will bring Wolfie and Burges back in, Hirst may start otherwise fairly 'regular' lineup.
We have home advantage, Burnley are not Barcelona

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:40 pm

Burnley are so far ahead in the championship I would imagine they will see no reason not to go fairly strong in this cup.

They aren’t Barcelona but they are by far the best team in a league much stronger than ours. I just don’t feel we are defensively strong enough to cope and we will need to be more clinical at the top end.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:42 pm

Depends on what players are played on the day,still think we have a chance.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:55 am

I don’t think they will want to slip up either and subject to the draw could well make the Semi Finals. Vincent Company is a serial winner and won’t be coming to Town for a day out.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:07 am

I fully expect KM to change the line up as well he should. Promotion is our priority. How would we all feel if Ladapo or Broadhead got injured? Burnley are better than us no matter who plays, so why risk injury in a competition we won’t win anyway?

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:41 am

rossi wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:37 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Hladky
Donacien
Woolfenden
Burgess
Leigh
Humphries
Morsey or Evans
Edwards
Jackson
Adhadme
Harness
Or play best 11 eleven as suggested by someone who knows far more than me and everyone else. And get dicked and lose all our confidence and momentum. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by mendipblue on Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:44 am

number 9 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:07 am
I fully expect KM to change the line up as well he should. Promotion is our priority. How would we all feel if Ladapo or Broadhead got injured? Burnley are better than us no matter who plays, so why risk injury in a competition we won’t win anyway?
That's a very good point and exactly why I picked the 11 above. 👍

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:47 am

Im with Rossi. Play strongest side and take it seriously. Try and build momentum and confidence. This isnt pizza cup where we're playing a L2 sides reserves. Players get injured at any time so can't wrap in cotton wool all the time. Weve got a week between thisl game and Cambridge game. Plenty time for recovery.
So we're worried about not having strongest side available for Cambridge? Doesnt show much confidence in the team if we're worried about Cambridge. Much bigger challenges than Camnridge.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:50 am

mendipblue wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:41 am
rossi wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:37 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Hladky
Donacien
Woolfenden
Burgess
Leigh
Humphries
Morsey or Evans
Edwards
Jackson
Adhadme
Harness
Or play best 11 eleven as suggested by someone who knows far more than me and everyone else. And get dicked and lose all our confidence and momentum. :lol: :lol:
Why thank you - finally you admit it :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:25 am

mendipblue wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:44 am
number 9 wrote:
That's a very good point and exactly why I picked the 11 above. 👍
Play that defence against Burnley it’ll be double figures for them by half time .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:27 am

number 9 wrote:
Wasn't long ago most on here wouldn't have give a sh*t if Ladapo was injured lol

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:40 pm

Predicting a tough game (tell me something new you all shout lol) and sadly a loss, but do not think it will be 4 -0 like that total bellend Sutton predicts.

Reckon 3 -1

All we ask for is the boys give it a good go and please shut up shop or it could get embarrassing, COYB!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:16 pm

I hope to god it never happens but IF there is ever a stray Russian missile I sincerely hope it hits Sutton in the mouth, that in itself would save hundreds of others, the bloke is a f**king inbred, six fingered, knuckle dragging sister shagger, that's just his good points.