Auckland flooded after torrential rain - is Frosty ok?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Auckland flooded after torrential rain - is Frosty ok?

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:17 pm

Yep, think its a "batten down the hatches" scenario and wait til it passes. Jeezo, that looks horrendous according to satellite pics. :shock:
Stay safe, Frosty & Co.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:00 am

Thanks for your kind thoughts folks.

Auckland probably fared better than thought over-night, although a lot of localised flooding, slips and trees down.

However, further down the North Island has been absolutely devastated, with small cities like Gisborne and Napier cut off and under water.

A National state of emergency has been declared for the 3rd time in this country's history.

Hate to think of the billions of dollars of damage to orchards that were about to be harvested, loss of livestock etc.

Would not want to be an insurer in this country right now.

Apparently hitting the South Island tonight.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:53 am

Great to hear from you Dave, sending love to you and the family. Stay safe mate. x

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:29 pm

Jeeze this cyclone that’s hit the North Island is a monster isn’t it. Global warming effects again?

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:22 pm

yeah, it's certainly a big event down here Liz.

Some cities could be without power for 2 weeks, drinking water issues and cut off as well.

5 found dead already and reports of people seeing multiple bodies floating in places, expect the death toll to climb with 1400 people un-accounted for, although I expect most of these people are just without access to power/communications etc so it will only be a fraction of this number (hopefully) that are casualties.

I wouldn't want to be Lloyds or AIG at present, this is going to be spectacular financially for the country.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:37 pm

Water is such a massive natural force isn’t it. Feel so sorry for people affected by “ natural catastrophe”. Puts life into total perspective!

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:00 pm

Frosty wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:00 am

Auckland probably fared better than thought over-night, although a lot of localised flooding, slips and trees down.
Hi Dave, I'm out west overlooking the Manukau and Tasman, it has been really hairy out here mate, whole village is a bit shell-shocked. The rain finally eased off but then when we were thinking the worst was over the wind started, surreal, Mrs. downed sleeping pills and stuck earplugs in and hid under the covers. We face south-west, very exposed, I thought the ranch sliders were gonna blow in, lost power 60+ hours came back on in the early hours this morning. Mobile network out and no power means no comms so in was two and a half days before the lines company found out we we all without power. At least the road in is not blocked and we're not as bad off as Karekare, Piha or Bethells which I think are all cut off and Whatipu road is stuffed. Honest mate that was not an experience I want to repeat.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:30 am

Mauswara wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:00 pm
Frosty wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:00 am

Hi Dave, I'm out west overlooking the Manukau and Tasman, it has been really hairy out here mate, whole village is a bit shell-shocked. The rain finally eased off but then when we were thinking the worst was over the wind started, surreal, Mrs. downed sleeping pills and stuck earplugs in and hid under the covers. We face south-west, very exposed, I thought the ranch sliders were gonna blow in, lost power 60+ hours came back on in the early hours this morning. Mobile network out and no power means no comms so in was two and a half days before the lines company found out we we all without power. At least the road in is not blocked and we're not as bad off as Karekare, Piha or Bethells which I think are all cut off and Whatipu road is stuffed. Honest mate that was not an experience I want to repeat.
sh*t Tony, I totally forgot you are out west.

A good mate of mine is at Karekare and they did it bloody hard out there.

I just spoke to my godfather who is in a retirement village in Havelock North. Things are a real mess in the Hawkes Bay.

Take care mate, and look forward to catching up with you in person soon.

cheers Dave

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:28 am

Not sure I'm doing this right Dave but here are some of the new traffic calming measures out here:

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:12 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:28 am
Not sure I'm doing this right Dave but here are some of the new traffic calming measures out here:

OMG! Stay safe down there xx

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:09 am

Thank you Liz, all good now, they got a tree guy in to clear the road. Fair sized stick.