League 1 - Cambridge United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Should be winnable?

Cambridge Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
89%
Draw
11%

Total votes: 19

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Cambridge United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:30 pm

Image Cambridge United v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 4th February 2023 – 15:00

Abbey Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

It is often said that the FA Cup doesn't mattter, that we are better off out of it to concentrate on the league in our quest for promotion, of course by and large that is true, nobody would argue that promotion is our end goal for this season, however last Saturday's Fourth Round tie at home to Championship high flyers Burnley really did rekindle my love for the cup. For more years than I care to remember we have been little more than also rans, in it to make up the numbers with next to zero chance of any cup glory, in fact getting through One round could have been deemed as glory such is our diabolical Cup record in recent years, that all felt a long way away last Saturday.

An electric atmosphere brought about another excellent crowd made sure this was to be more than just another mundane Cup match, Two teams trying to play Football for a change, giving their all and no sitting back, I found it a really enjoyable watch, admittedly prior to kick off I feared the worst, this after all is a Burnley side surging their way back to the Premier League and it is a matter of time before they get there. The Lancastrians score goals for fun, they don't concede that much either and they win most weeks, brushing the majority of teams aside, so when Town boss Kieran Mckenna opted to go with a hatful of changes again it only confirmed my fears that this was to be a bit of a formality and not in our favour, how wrong I was.

The first half saw Town take the game to their opponents and within the first few minutes could have been a couple ahead, George Hirst missing a great chance thanks to a superb pinpoint cross from the very impressive Kayden Jackson who on the day shone, then it was Marcus Harness's turn to plant one onto the crossbar, it was indeed a very impressive start that raised hope and expectation that maybe this could just be our day. Burnley had their chances too but generally it was Town in the ascendancy, some of the fringe players that had come in were really raising their game and looking the part.

The only down side was that we failed to score in a half that belonged to us, surely Burnley would come out and offer more, and yes they did, albeit not the onslaught that some feared, we still held our own and had moments in the game, in goals Vaclav Hladky was looking very impressive indeed and it require Two cracking saves from the big man to keep us on level terms. The longer the game went on the more likely a replay was going to be the order of the day and so it proved. town did themselves proud, keeping a clean sheet against that team was no mean feat and add to that we caused them problems as we went toe to toe with what is in effect a Premier league side. Can we replicate it at Turf Moor and get ourselves a very winnable home tie in the Fifth round with either Sheffield Wednesday or Fleetwood Town, well it's a tough ask but not impossible, if the dream were to happen we could well just bag ourselves a Quarter Final slot, it can be done but I fear we will need to go full strength in Lancashire, over to you boss.

Transfer deadline has come and gone with town showing little interest in further business, nobody new arrived through the doors while only Gassan Ahadme exited the building with a loan deal that takes him back to Burton for the remainder of the season, we wish him well. I was very pleased that Kyle Edwards, or anyone else for that matter remained at Portman Road, we still have a massive prize to play for and everyone can play a part in the coming weeks.

Before we go again against Burnley we have the small matter of an absolutely crucial League game just up the road at Cambridge Utd who are finding life tough right now, sitting second bottom does on the face of it makes the game look very inviting, however, these teams are fighting for their lives too and Cambridge will most certainly not want to be dropping down to League two any time soon, add to that it is a bit of a derby of sorts and it will no doubt mean more to them in that respect than us, taking the scalp of their bigger, more illustrious neighbours will be all the incentive they need on the day, our incentive is the fact that if we win we will definitely be making ground up on at least One of the top Two sides, possibly both as they meet each other at Hillsborough, personally I would prefer a Sheff Wed win as a win for us would see us just Four points off Plymouth who some seem to think are already going up, I don't see it that way at all, a draw would not be a disaster either as both teams could very well be in range, for me a Plymouth win would not be so good and would only make our job over the rest of the season that much harder, all we can do is our bit and win our game, then worry about what the others are doing, personally I think we will win and hopefully win well, keep a Third clean sheet and it should be job done. an away Town win for me. COYB'S

The Opposition – Cambridge United Honours

League

Football League Second Division / Championship

Best: 5th 1991-92

Football League Third Division / League One

Champions (1): 1990–91
Runners-up (1): 1977–78[137]

Football League Fourth Division / League Two

Champions (1): 1976–77
Runners-up (2): 1998–99, 2020–21
Promotion (1): 1972–73
Play-off winners (1): 1989–90

National League

Runners-up (3): 2007–08, 2008–09, 2013–14
Play-off winners (1): 2013–14
Play-off finalists (2): 2007–08, 2008–09

Southern League Premier Division

Winners (2): 1968–69, 1969–70

Cups

FA Cup

Quarter-finalists (2): 1989-90, 1990-91

FA Trophy

Winners (1): 2013–14

Football League Cup

Quarter-finalists (1): 1992-93

Football League Trophy

Runners-up (1): 2001–02

Southern League Cup

Winners (1): 1968–69

The Manager – Mark Bonner

League Table

Form Guide

Cambridge United

30 Dec Derby County 1 - 0 Cambridge Utd

2 Jan Sheffield Wed 5 - 0 Cambridge Utd

7 Jan Cambridge Utd 1 - 2 Bristol Rovers

14 Jan Cambridge Utd pp. Morecambe

21 Jan Shrewsbury 5 - 1 Cambridge Utd

28 Jan Lincoln City 0 - 0 Cambridge Utd

Ipswich Town

29 Dec Portsmouth 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

2 Jan Lincoln City 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

14 Jan Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Plymouth

21 Jan Oxford Utd 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

24 Jan Ipswich Town 4 - 0 Morecambe

Head to Head

Match Referee – Sam Barrott

CAMBRIDGE UNITED 0 IPSWICH TOWN 2

Frosty
Forum Owner

Re: League 1 - Cambridge United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Could someone please let me know if the league table and H2H table are displaying in the preview as my image hosting site seems to have gone out of business and I have had to find a new one in a hurry?

cheers Dave

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:05 pm

Frosty wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:32 pm
Could someone please let me know if the league table and H2H table are displaying in the preview as my image hosting site seems to have gone out of business and I have had to find a new one in a hurry?

cheers Dave
well yes its on here Dave, but you must have the league upside down :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by goldandblack on Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:09 pm

thats ok John, I am totally relaxed in doing a half-arsed job. :wink:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:13 pm

Frosty wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:09 pm
thats ok John, I am totally relaxed in doing a half-arsed job. :wink:
yeah you've got Ipswich 3rd from top, cant be right that :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:14 am

Nice preview & yep, if table is……..

Plymouth 62
SheffWed 59
Ipswich 57

……, that’d be a very nice afternoon.

Always been in the view that Plymouth Argyle won’t slip……. And certainly wouldn’t be surprised if they thump Wednesday @ Hillsbro on Sat.
As long as Ipswich get 3pts; thats all that matters for the promo push.
Those Play-Offs are looking very much less inviting with Bolton & Derby seeming to be gaining form. Proper lottery will be this seasons Play-Offs. Got to prefer Ipswich not being involved.
4-0 Ipswich. Massive showing of intent.

Ref caption.

Hey ref….. lets hear your best Michael Caine.
“My name….. is Sam…. Barrott. Not a lot of people know that.”

(Not that he looks anything like Caine, just looks like he’s about to make the most matter of fact statement ever.)

Mark Bonner caption:

Interviewer: “So, Mark….. is the team gelled for the relegation battle?”
MB: “Aw sh*t. No, they’re not. I used it all on my own hair.”

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:56 am

Now is the time to deliver where it really matters, on the pitch. Too many times in the past we have failed to do this when we have had the opportunity. I just hope the players are fully focussed on the Cambridge game and not thinking about the fixture the following Saturday. For me this is a game where 3 points are essential and if we fail to get them then any talk of automatic promotion will become a distant dream.
I see Barnsley got another 3 points last night to close the gap on us as well. Them and Derby could still put pressure on us.

Cambridge 1 Town 2

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:33 am

This is absolutely a must win if we're serious about automatic. With two clean sheets and solid performances of late, I see no reason why we don't win this. We'll see. :wink:

Cambridge 0 v 2 ITFC

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:16 pm

I predict we will see a strongest XI on Sat then a total swap of 11 players for Tuesdays replay at Burnley, then back to the same XI for Shef Weds.

Walton

Clarke
Wolfie
Edmudson
Davies

Evans
Morsy

Burns
Chaplin
Broadhead

Ladapo

Naturally subs will also be made from 60mins.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:27 pm

shabba wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:16 pm
I predict we will see a strongest XI on Sat then a total swap of 11 players for Tuesdays replay at Burnley, then back to the same XI for Shef Weds.

Walton

Clarke
Wolfie
Edmudson
Davies

Evans
Morsy

Burns
Chaplin
Broadhead

Ladapo

I do not think KM will play that formation, and I seriously hope he doesn't.
To all intent and purpose we have to get 3 points, and for me that means 3-4-3 and not 4-2-3-1.

Of course, I would far rather we went either 4-1-3-2 or 5-3-2, but that's never gonna happen under KM :wink:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:42 pm

Yeh you're not wrong, we should start with a clear attacking formation for this particular event but somehow you know how it's going to be.

voted to win, in that we have to. Concern in that we often struggle against opposition teams in and around the lower reaches of any division. Not only that Cambridge themselves have a fighting objective in aiming to pull away from any relegation threat themselves. I expect a tough contest with actually little between the two club names on the day, separated by maybe only one goal.

You can't lose focus on the fact teams like Derby, Bolton, Barnsley maybe are real close behind, not to mention the issue both Plymouth and SWFC occupy the two required automatic promotion places. We got to snare one of those positions by end of season as sure as hell don't envisage another play-off finish. Let's just win this particular contest and take it from there.

Cambridge 0 ITFC 1

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:23 pm

He will play the same formation we always play, 4 at the back with Davies bombing on, 2 in Midfield, 3 across the attacking front line and a striker ahead.

We literally have played this formation all season..........

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:28 pm

And scored more goals than everyone else

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:59 pm

shabba wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:23 pm
He will play the same formation we always play, 4 at the back with Davies bombing on, 2 in Midfield, 3 across the attacking front line and a striker ahead.

We literally have played this formation all season..........
Disagree - in all of the games I have seen this season we have played predominantly 3-4-2-1, only switching to 4-2-3-1 when under pressure or trying to hang on to a lead. I don't take any notice of what formation various media says we played for any particular game, preferring to trust the evidence of my own eyes
Last edited by rossi on Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:03 pm

Used to dunk a 5-4-3-2-1…… awesome.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:57 pm

I guess as Davies is so far forward you mean. However burns is also very far forward.

I’ve watched every game this season, I guess it depends how you want to define it. I just see Davies doing more defending than burns so to me ot seems how I laid it out (just with Davies given that license to really get forward)

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:32 pm

shabba wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:57 pm
I guess as Davies is so far forward you mean. However burns is also very far forward.

I’ve watched every game this season, I guess it depends how you want to define it. I just see Davies doing more defending than burns so to me ot seems how I laid it out (just with Davies given that license to really get forward)
Maybe it's changing as the season progresses and we're seeing Davis getting forward more now and we have the attacking threat on both sides. Last season we didn't really have the set-up on the left so Burns' role was more pronounced. Would be interesting to see which side we're scoring most from this year, would be fairly even I reckon.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:04 am

shabba wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:57 pm

It's not just Davies going forward, it's also Burns doing a lot of defensive work (albeit badly and has cost us free kicks and goals as he's not a defender), and we definitely line up 3-4-2-1 most of the time. Your formation leaves us very disjointed, for example 4 across the back has frailties when ever Davise goes forward as the other 3 are then slightly out of position, same for the 3 behind the striker. Like I say, I take little notice of the formations that media says we play, but it's not lost on me thet TWTD in it's game preview always lists the likely lineip as 3-4-2-1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:09 am

Gary, I think you'll find the 3-4-2-1 on TWTD is the posters individual IQ's

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:32 am

https://www.sofascore.com/player/wes-burns/305302

https://www.sofascore.com/player/leif-davis/963493

You can see from the heatmaps that Davies spends more time in our half than Burns though.

Burges spends more time centrally

https://www.sofascore.com/player/cameron-burgess/358084

Than JD who is more right sided

https://www.sofascore.com/player/janoi-donacien/371364

If it was a 3 at the back I'd expect to see JD and Burges have similar heatmaps for their own sides. Wolfie is also heatmapped more on the right side, as he is playing a a right center back.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:15 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:32 am
https://www.sofascore.com/player/wes-burns/305302

https://www.sofascore.com/player/leif-davis/963493

You can see from the heatmaps that Davies spends more time in our half than Burns though.

Burges spends more time centrally

https://www.sofascore.com/player/cameron-burgess/358084

Than JD who is more right sided

https://www.sofascore.com/player/janoi-donacien/371364

If it was a 3 at the back I'd expect to see JD and Burges have similar heatmaps for their own sides. Wolfie is also heatmapped more on the right side, as he is playing a a right center back.
Yeah, I get what you're saying, but to my mind those heatmaps suggest to me that Burns isnt doing his job properly, because he really ought to have similar to Davies.

Looking at the maps, you could deduce that we play with 2 right-sided defenders, one central, and one on the left who frequently goes forward. That is pretty disjointed and may go some way to explaining why we give away so many silly goals.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:19 pm

anyway, as for the prediction - I think Bolton, Derby, and Sheff Wed will all win, meaning that Plymouth will get no points.

Sadly, I cannot see beyond a draw for us, hope I'm wrong.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:13 pm

Just shows that it is imperative that boss and assistant are on the same hymn sheet.
If it was Rossi & Shabba, it’d be League Two due to too much didagreements! :lol:

Shabba: “yeah but the heat map…..”
Rossi: “you show me that heat map again and i tell ye……”

Yes……., i’d have the team in the Conference South League due to talking about biscuits.
Mmmmmmm. Biscuits.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:06 am

Up in Cambridge tonight, fab Indian meal, bottle of wine and now back at the hotel, really looking forward to tomorrow and feeling confident. COYB'S

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:53 am

Wonder if they'll stage a minute's applause at this event tomorrow for Jeff Beck who died just recent. Thought he were great for Cambridge back in the day. Really put the club name on the map, real good Cup runs in the 1990's and all that.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:20 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:53 am
Wonder if they'll stage a minute's applause at this event tomorrow for Jeff Beck who died just recent. Thought he were great for Cambridge back in the day. Really put the club name on the map, real good Cup runs in the 1990's and all that.
John Beck? He's still alive. Jeff Beck the legendary guitarist died recently. Not related as far as I know

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:06 am
Up in Cambridge tonight, fab Indian meal, bottle of wine and now back at the hotel, really looking forward to tomorrow and feeling confident. COYB'S
Have a great weekend mate, a bit different to the single life hey but far more satisfying and rewarding. Hope the boys put the icing on the cake for you but for some reason I’m feeling uncomfortable but that’s probably because I’m watching Everton v Arsenal with the Blues well on top and deserving to be in front at half time.

I’ll be much happier when I know we have 3 points in the bag, even happier if we can give them a right royal tonking.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:29 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:20 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Have a great weekend mate, a bit different to the single life hey but far more satisfying and rewarding. Hope the boys put the icing on the cake for you but for some reason I’m feeling uncomfortable but that’s probably because I’m watching Everton v Arsenal with the Blues well on top and deserving to be in front at half time.

I’ll be much happier when I know we have 3 points in the bag, even happier if we can give them a right royal tonking.
Cheers Andy, yes dragging the wife to her first and probably only away game lol, had a lovely evening and the win today would put the icing on the cake, bringing those points home tonight god willing. Hope you are ok bud.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:40 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:29 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:20 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Cheers Andy, yes dragging the wife to her first and probably only away game lol, had a lovely evening and the win today would put the icing on the cake, bringing those points home tonight god willing. Hope you are ok bud.
Cheers mate. Unfortunately had a tough few days and been back in hospital again but was discharged 6pm last night. Great timing to watch the young guns last night v Liverpool and the match this afternoon.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:06 pm

shabba wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:16 pm

Walton

Clarke
Wolfie
Edmudson
Davies

Evans
Morsy

Burns
Chaplin
Broadhead

Ladapo

Spot on with the Team there Shabba with only Keogh in for Woolfenden the only difference. 👏