League 1 - Cambridge United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: Charnwood, marko69, Bluemike

Should be winnable?

Cambridge Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
89%
Draw
11%

Total votes: 19

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Cambridge United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:36 pm

Any slower than first half snd we be statues lol !!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:39 pm

Should have scored there tho their keeper looks shaken up.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:39 pm

I can’t believe how hard we are making this for ourselves . It’s ridiculous!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:39 pm

We sponsor a golf tournament in George, up the coast that starts on Weds - a pro-am where all the SA rugby and cricket legends play, along with Hansen, Dalgleish et al. Its a fab event. We are in Cape Town to take in the sun and play a few rounds before heading to George so its holiday followed by a kind of 'work'...👍🏌🏿‍♂️ would give it all up for 3 points today and next sat though.... sort of...

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:41 pm

Dont agree with taking Chaplin off at all top scorer ffs.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:46 pm

So, we brought on a flare, fast , attacking player in Edwards. He assists for our goal….. then we stop passing to him . WHY???????

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:46 pm

SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT FFS

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:48 pm

Wrong player taken off . Should be Burns who hadn’t made a decent cross into the box the whole bloody game.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:50 pm

Attempting to keep up with this, at least we scored and back in it. Derby are going to win, that can't be helped but SWFC remain a slim lead . Really hoping now we can win this, find a second goal in the time remaining. Seems we draw a lot games often, a point here while not disastrous won't aid any automatic promotion objective to any great extent. Stats indicate we've improved second-half, I wish there could be a victory from it.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:08 pm

I got game over, it were a 1 - 1 draw. I take into account our lousy first-half performance if that's a fair reflection and the opposition are fighting a relegation threat but riding sensation being it's kind of two points dropped. All right they could have been two goals ahead if not for the penalty save but worried to some extent closest challengers got a victory and one last time, we seem to tie too many games for some liking.

catch up with full game report and fan reaction at a later time, be interesting to gain a clearer understanding of just how well we performed today and (if) a point was fair reflection from this event.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:10 pm

Same old shyte yet again .

Can’t win the must win games
Can’t / WONT shoot and make the keeper work.
Incapable of defending our own box.
Possession stats NEVER wins games .

More Goals For than against does.

Example:

Derby today : 10 shots on target : 7 off target

Town today: 4 shots on target : 5 off target .

Thank god we’ve had a good start to the season or we’d be clinging onto play offs now … and we still might be.

McKenna needs to re think his strategy : tippy tappy possession football is killing our chances . We have the players in the squad . The tactics are WRONG for League One. We are not Barca and thus is not PL or Champions League.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:15 pm

Not good enough. The type of games you have to win to get automatics. A chance to put pressure on Plymouth for second spot and made a hash of it.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:43 pm

To many players today under performing. Sometimes you can get away with 2 or 3 but not 7 or 8 not including subs. :roll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:45 pm

Just picked up the result now. Unreal. 🤦‍♂️

Thought there’d be a real showing of intent at this type of fixture, some backbone, some balls.
But nope. And the majority of it is on the players themselves. If they cant get “up” for this type of fixture, then 🤷‍♂️, who the hell knows.

No idea how Kieron will respond to the pressure of both Derby & Bolton blowing wind up his arse close behind.

Mashton & owners along with KMcK won’t be kicking back enjoying a beer tonight. The internet “noise” will be disturbing that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:48 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:43 pm
To many players today under performing. Sometimes you can get away with 2 or 3 but not 7 or 8 not including subs. :roll:
Yep. A manager can fire them up, which you’ve got to assume Kieron has no problem doing…….. but if they’re half-arsed in their own attempt to be focussed, then its farting against thunder time.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:56 pm

rossi wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:19 pm
anyway, as for the prediction - I think Bolton, Derby, and Sheff Wed will all win, meaning that Plymouth will get no points.

Sadly, I cannot see beyond a draw for us, hope I'm wrong.
It give me no pleasure at all, but correct on all counts.

Yet another monumental f*ck-up from KM, and yet listening to him on the car radio he's blaming the players and everybody else apart from himself.

I've had enough of him - he might be a good coach but he's an absolute crap manager. He's been backed by his board better than any other manager in this league, yet he still doesn't seem to know either his best team or his best formation.

I think he will be sacked as soon as it's confirmed we will be spending yet another season in this crap league.

So I'll say it first - KM OUT

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:04 pm

I hate to say it Rossi, but I can see your point. However, I am not sure who else we would attract who would do better - even if it were to happen. Its all still possible and a win next Sat (albeit unlikely) would have most fans back on side. I think we just have to ride the waves and see where it takes us. If we stay in this league another year then I think the pressure on KM may really be too much. Sad, but lets see...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:10 pm

Stick with KMcK …… he needs this pressure to make him a better boss. Was going to say “a leader of men” but he has a team of fannies at this moment in time who he put his faith in.
Wouldn’t pull any triggers yet. Could be disastrous. See how the team themselves respond to this v SheffWed

I personally couldn’t care less about Burnley. In fact, take the team that beat Liverpool to Burnley.

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:12 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:10 pm

Thank god we’ve had a good start to the season or we’d be clinging onto play offs now … and we still might be.
We’ve got no chance of winning the play offs anyway, we don’t have enough backbone, bottle or whatever you want to call it

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:33 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:10 pm
Stick with KMcK …… he needs this pressure to make him a better boss. Was going to say “a leader of men” but he has a team of fannies at this moment in time who he put his faith in.
Wouldn’t pull any triggers yet. Could be disastrous. See how the team themselves respond to this v SheffWed

I personally couldn’t care less about Burnley. In fact, take the team that beat Liverpool to Burnley.
Or, alternatively, a fanny in charge of a group of men :wink:

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:39 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:04 pm
I hate to say it Rossi, but I can see your point. However, I am not sure who else we would attract who would do better - even if it were to happen. Its all still possible and a win next Sat (albeit unlikely) would have most fans back on side. I think we just have to ride the waves and see where it takes us. If we stay in this league another year then I think the pressure on KM may really be too much. Sad, but lets see...
Yeah I see your point Wilf - the trouble is we've been here more than once - Cook, Hurst, Jewell etc - all proclaimed as messiahs and all failed dismally, but not before taking the club farther down the slope than when they started - can we afford for it to happen again? FFS, we've got money behind us, pay peanuts and you get monkeys, we need to step up to attract the kind of manager that will bring us success.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:40 pm

I hate the play offs it's just all about money and the two teams that reach the final for one it's great but for the other it's a big downer, plus in the extra games long term injuries can happen and players have a shorter break away from football, I don't think a Team that finishes maybe ten points behind the Team that's third over 46 games should get promoted, saying that one season 🤔 I was quite happy.😂😂

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:42 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:40 pm
I hate the play offs it's just all about money and the two teams that reach the final for one it's great but for the other it's a big downer, plus in the extra games long term injuries can happen and players have a shorter break away from football, I don't think a Team that finishes maybe ten points behind the Team that's third over 46 games should get promoted, saying that one season 🤔 I was quite happy.😂😂
agreed, but in any case the season you mention the team finishing third won the play-offs. But yes, if there are 3 promotion places going then it should be the top 3 that get them

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:54 pm

The pack are starting to close in. Top 6 not guaranteed now. All these other clubs are picking up momentum and Town are faltering.
Irony is MM and TC would have had this club out of League One in a season and then challenging in Championship next with the americans backing ?????

Sneaky we will today Marko 😁😁😁

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:02 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:33 pm
marko69 wrote:

Not for me, but 🤷‍♂️, really do not know the answer. I do not think (at thia moment in time) there is another person out there who’d get Ipswich up. If you think there is, …… who?
Or are you emptying Kieron and writing the season off?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:03 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:54 pm
The pack are starting to close in. Top 6 not guaranteed now. All these other clubs are picking up momentum and Town are faltering.
Irony is MM and TC would have had this club out of League One in a season and then challenging in Championship next with the americans backing ?????

Sneaky we will today Marko 😁😁😁
Shocking game. Was indeed a sneaky win. Liam buying even more time.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:19 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:02 pm
rossi wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:33 pm
marko69 wrote:

Not for me, but 🤷‍♂️, really do not know the answer. I do not think (at thia moment in time) there is another person out there who’d get Ipswich up. If you think there is, …… who?
Or are you emptying Kieron and writing the season off?
I've been saying for the last 4 seasons we should get Paul Warne. He did wonders with Rotherham, and Derby have had a resurgence under him. Instead, we have appointed lame duck after lame duck. If we have the money behind us we are led to believe, then it ought to have been easy to attract him here - it still could be. If you want to get out of this league, you need an experienced and proven manager, not somebody still in nappies

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:23 pm

https://www.sofascore.com/camb

If you look towards the bottom of the page in this link and tap on the various circles( players) it shows the areas where those players were most active during the hsve .

Our strikers are rarely in the opposition box.

Our midfielders : defenders play most of the game in our half or around half way line.

Burns was our biggest attacking outlet ( but his crosses were crap)

Edwards ( our most effective second half attacking outlet) we decided not to pass too after we’d equalised…. Why?

We might have lots of possession but it’s rarely a threat . And it’s clear we from these graphics of this game we rarely were a threat in their goal area… I’d suggest this heat distribution could be typical for a lot of our games. And WHERE we play our possession football is ineffective and threatens the opposition the least, and that is why I call it tippy tappy football , because achieves nothing!

Questions:
1) How can our strikers rarely be in the opponents box !!
2) Were VERY lopsided in our attacking outlet - mostly Burns. He’s been sussed in that he’s heavily marked . His crosses by and large were ineffective / poor. There was no other outlet until Edwards came on. We used him up until we scored, then rarely after that, Why? …instead we pissed around with the ball on the half way line of up the their box and either lost possession or recycled the ball . Edwards was crying out for the pass , so why didn’t we give it to him or god forbid take a bloody shot?
3) We rarely make the opposition GK work , in any game , why?

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:32 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:23 pm
https://www.sofascore.com/camb

If you look towards the bottom of the page in this link and tap on the various circles( players) it shows the areas where those players were most active during the hsve .

Our strikers are rarely in the opposition box.

Our midfielders : defenders play most of the game in our half or around half way line.

Burns was our biggest attacking outlet ( but his crosses were crap)

Edwards ( our most effective second half attacking outlet) we decided not to pass too after we’d equalised…. Why?

We might have lots of possession but it’s rarely a threat . And it’s clear we from these graphics of this game we rarely were a threat in their goal area… I’d suggest this heat distribution could be typical for a lot of our games. And WHERE we play our possession football is ineffective and threatens the opposition the least, and that is why I call it tippy tappy football , because achieves nothing!

Questions:
1) How can our strikers rarely be in the opponents box !!
2) Were VERY lopsided in our attacking outlet - mostly Burns. He’s been sussed in that he’s heavily marked . His crosses by and large were ineffective / poor. There was no other outlet until Edwards came on. We used him up until we scored, then rarely after that, Why? …instead we pissed around with the ball on the half way line of up the their box and either lost possession or recycled the ball . Edwards was crying out for the pass , so why didn’t we give it to him or god forbid take a bloody shot?
3) We rarely make the opposition GK work , in any game , why?
All very good questions, Liz, and I think they ought to be addressed to our manager.

Manager? In my opinion, he couldn't manage a quick sh*t.

Quote from KM's post match interview "we need to put it right next week".
He's a parrot, how many weeks this season have we heard that? He seems to learn nothing.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:00 pm

Lampard is available… :lol: