League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A rather Important fixture

Ipswich Win
43%
Sheff Wed Win
14%
Draw
43%

Total votes: 21

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:18 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:04 pm
Did enough in the 2nd half to win it. Penalty cost us. Need to start winning from Tuesday.
TBH that almost felt like a win today.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:18 pm
I don't know how it's positive tbh, Wednesday win their game in hand and we'll be 9 off the top Two, Bolton have passed us and Derby and Barnsley very close.

We cannot continue to only turn up for half a game, its another bad habit that is occurring way too often. Can't say I'm taking much positivity from the situation tbh, we don't win hardly any games anymore.
Am agreeing but feel could still be a twist in the season, hoping positive one. How much Mike to you put down to the missed penalty?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:22 pm

Charnwood wrote:
mendipblue wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:04 pm
Did enough in the 2nd half to win it. Penalty cost us. Need to start winning from Tuesday.
TBH that almost felt like a win today.
I agree Andy. The league table looked far worse before we scored. Still in 3rd place on GD and even if Derby win their game in hand they're only level on points now.

Yes, I'm clutching at straws, but at least we didn't lose!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:29 pm

I actually took a lot of positives from watching that. Wednesday will probably win the league but after a terrible start, we recovered and gave them as stiff a challenge as they're likely to face this season. Second half there was only one team likely to win it. That spirit bodes well for the playoffs if that's what it turns out to be. No way will it be worse and you never know, might be better

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
I don't know how it's positive tbh, Wednesday win their game in hand and we'll be 9 off the top Two, Bolton have passed us and Derby and Barnsley very close.

We cannot continue to only turn up for half a game, its another bad habit that is occurring way too often. Can't say I'm taking much positivity from the situation tbh, we don't win hardly any games anymore.

We not really much worse off than we were before todays games against a side that hadn’t conceded since Boxing Day and are the least defeated team in the league. Bolton who we have a game in hand over are still 4th and Derby lost at Wycombe. I saw enough today to be encouraged as I really didn’t expect us to come back from a two goal deficit, I can’t imagine any other League Ond side have done that this season. If only we could put together a string of wins anything is possible. All said and done I think we’re staring at the play offs but there’s no reason on earth why we shouldn’t achieve promotion through that route.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:31 pm

Tuppence ha'penny worth from me......, the missed penalty and it affecting the next 70 minutes after it....., NOPE. Massive hypothetical.

Fact is, the team went 2-0 down after that and managed to lift themselves from THAT, and the missed penalty. The missed penalty is not a factor in this game......, and if it argued that it is ----->> then the argument is hypothetical nonsense.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:33 pm

Steve wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:22 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Am agreeing but feel could still be a twist in the season, hoping positive one. How much Mike to you put down to the missed penalty?
I think the penalty was key tbh, we just seemed to drop our heads a bit, there was no belief first half and we were second best in every department, they clearly had a rocket at HT and it was much better, we deserved more for the second half and nearly got it the late Ladapo effort, I still maintain it was a must win tbh, don't fancy us with all our frailties in the play offs one bit.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:36 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:30 pm
I saw enough today to be encouraged as I really didn’t expect us to come back from a two goal deficit.
Exactly, and precisely the reason I was then going to put my sparkly trousers on, as correctly called by Marko :wink: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:41 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:36 pm
Charnwood wrote:
I saw enough today to be encouraged as I really didn’t expect us to come back from a two goal deficit.
Exactly, and precisely the reason I was then going to put my sparkly trousers on, as correctly called by Marko :wink: :lol:

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Bolton are behind us and played 1 more game?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:42 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:41 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:36 pm
Charnwood wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:47 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:31 pm
Tuppence ha'penny worth from me......, the missed penalty and it affecting the next 70 minutes after it....., NOPE. Massive hypothetical.

Fact is, the team went 2-0 down after that and managed to lift themselves from THAT, and the missed penalty. The missed penalty is not a factor in this game......, and if it argued that it is ----->> then the argument is hypothetical nonsense.

I’m sure it didn’t affect the team for 70 mins Marko but it definitely affected them for 15 or 20 mins and totally screwed their concentration and needed McKenna to lift them at HT although that was made easier by Broadheads brilliant free kick to pull one back a few minutes earlier.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:03 pm

Was gonna reply to one or two posts regarding towns draw today not being too bad however......... Wake up and smell the roses guys ( n gals) since Dec town have achieved mid table results in the form league table, team such as Derby, Bolton, Plymouth and Sheffield have either overtaken us or caught up to us quite considerably. We're fecked for top two now, and fear for any playoff games. We just can't achieve on the pitch which on paper our squad should. KM needs to kick as*, players letting him down big time

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:28 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:03 pm
Was gonna reply to one or two posts regarding towns draw today not being too bad however......... Wake up and smell the roses guys ( n gals) since Dec town have achieved mid table results in the form league table, team such as Derby, Bolton, Plymouth and Sheffield have either overtaken us or caught up to us quite considerably. We're fecked for top two now, and fear for any playoff games. We just can't achieve on the pitch which on paper our squad should. KM needs to kick as*, players letting him down big time
Couldnt agree more

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:25 pm

At last found out why the penalty was given. Burns was elbowed but the officials couldn’t identify which player did it and that is why no red card was issued.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:34 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:25 pm
At last found out why the penalty was given. Burns was elbowed but the officials couldn’t identify which player did it and that is why no red card was issued.
If he was elbowed then the F A need to look at the incident and give the player a red card as no action was taken during the game Surely ?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:37 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:34 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:25 pm
If he was elbowed then the F A need to look at the incident and give the player a red card as no action was taken during the game Surely ?
They reckon he will get a retrospective ban. We will see.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:37 pm

Well I’m sick to death of our inabilities to win games.

We don’t “ turn up” to the must win games and put a blistering display for ( if you’re lucky) 30mins of a 90min match.

We CANNOT DEFEND !!! Just when will this monumental fu ck up get sorted?? Woolfie is no more a CB than my dear 94 yr old uncle. Woolfie is a joke of a defender in my view. He can’t header a ball, can’t Marshall his opponent, can’t dominate his opponent, can’t clear the ball away from the danger area. Burgess is better but in truth he’s a big standard CB. Edmund is a like Woolfie, a bloody mistake waiting to happen.

Let’s get one thing straight from today.

Sheffield Wednesday are a bog standard, physically strong, League One outfit. Nothing special! They successfully bullied us off the ball all first half, and we were thst off the pace from the off they could have been 3-0 by half time. Not because they were so much better than us. Bug more because we were THAT BAD!
We’re POWDER PUFF, by comparison. This happens in so many of our games in league one this season, and I’m sick to the back teeth of seeing it .

Yes, we have a “nice football, passing side”. One that has many plaudits written and said about it . Before and after games.

IM SICK OF HEARING IT- f**king PROVE IT !

On paper, we Essentially have a side that would be comfortable in the Championship, (with a proper set of defenders!). Problem is, we’re IN LEAGUE ONE, Mr Ashton/ McKenna !!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:42 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

We not really much worse off than we were before todays games against a side that hadn’t conceded since Boxing Day and are the least defeated team in the league. Bolton who we have a game in hand over are still 4th and Derby lost at Wycombe. I saw enough today to be encouraged as I really didn’t expect us to come back from a two goal deficit, I can’t imagine any other League Ond side have done that this season. If only we could put together a string of wins anything is possible. All said and done I think we’re staring at the play offs but there’s no reason on earth why we shouldn’t achieve promotion through that route.
We barely capable of winning ONE game let alone a string of them. Ain’t gonna happen I’m afraid.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:28 pm

It's not great, it's not terrible, it's playoffs isn't it really?

Perhaps the position now takes the pressure off somewhat, we have to go on a real run and hope those around falter. Before someone spits their dummy out, I'm not saying automatics are over, only that they're now becoming the less likely of the outcomes and perhaps we can try and use that to our psychological advantage.

I do agree that we dropped a huge bollock by not getting defenders in in January, that's the biggest mistake of the Ashton era I feel. Hirst, may be useful, but I'd swap him for a defender any day of the week. I did also say that if Broadhead stays fit, then we go up, so not great to hear he's gone off prematurely today?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:30 pm

Sadly we’ll flunk the play offs in true Ipswich fashion. We can’t win games 🤷‍♀️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:37 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:30 pm
Sadly we’ll flunk the play offs in true Ipswich fashion. We can’t win games 🤷‍♀️
I guess if that’s what you expect Liz st least you won’t be disappointed.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:43 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:37 pm
hallamblue wrote:
That makes no sense. You mean she wont be surprised? Fairly sure she’ll be disappointed.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:49 am

Can we not scout around and see if there are a couple of far better-equipped CBs that can be loaned in to replace our inept 4, there must be some that can't get game time in either the championship or premiership teams who would only be too glad for a game with us, knock on Burnley's door I'm sure Vincent would have one or two he could lend us

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:11 am

Just got off work and have been reading the match game posts. Dear oh dear. So from what I’ve gathered; KM is a tit, we can’t win games and we’re doomed for failure in the playoffs. Not withstanding we just went head to head with the Championship table toppers and could have won, and we’ve just came back from 2-nil down against arguably the best team in league one. We showed resilience today…a trait we haven’t had under previous managers. We could have won today if not for a missed penalty. Oh dear, but the season’s over cuz KM didn’t start Freddie. It’s not gonna be easy folks; it’s a tough league. The players need to show up against the Lincolns, Oxfords and Cambridges to get promoted. They haven’t done that, so now we suffer the consequences of those failures. If you think KM is the problem I’m sorry you’re deluded. Also, don’t you think Ashton tried to get in a few defenders? Come on I’ve tolerated a lot of bullshit with previous managers and owners over the past 20 years, but in my opinion everything is right with the club’s infrastructure right now. Players just need to perform and wear the shirt with pride.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:20 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:43 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:37 pm
hallamblue wrote:
That makes no sense. You mean she wont be surprised? Fairly sure she’ll be disappointed.
It makes perfect sense to me. If I want something badly and build up my expectation and it doesn’t happen I’m bitterly disappointed. If I don’t build up my expectation and don’t think it will happen, why would I be disappointed. Well I wouldn’t be, because I got what I expected.
On an aside, there’s absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t win the play offs if that’s what it takes and is the only route open to us. Wembley I assume will offer a much wider pitch and would suit our style of play giving our players much more space.
Before we even get to that stage there’s every chance the two teams above us will stall a little, you only have to look at Arsenal and Man City in the Premiership to know that can happen. All is not lost yet and our fans should not give up hope .
I know I’m in the minority Marko, but that comeback yesterday from 0-2 down gave me hope and I’m far from done with what I think can be achieved this season. I bet fans at Bolton, Derby and Barnsley haven’t written the season off yet and neither should Town fans.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:27 am

We would be unlikely to win a play off game Charny because we can’t hold onto a drawing or winning position in a game. We can’t see games out . Why would we suddenly change how we deal with games in a one off must win game when we haven’t been capable of doing so all season? And for the record I will be absolutely gutted , but not surprised at that outcome one little bit.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:32 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:11 am
Just got off work and have been reading the match game posts. Dear oh dear. So from what I’ve gathered; KM is a tit, we can’t win games and we’re doomed for failure in the playoffs. Not withstanding we just went head to head with the Championship table toppers and could have won, and we’ve just came back from 2-nil down against arguably the best team in league one. We showed resilience today…a trait we haven’t had under previous managers. We could have won today if not for a missed penalty. Oh dear, but the season’s over cuz KM didn’t start Freddie. It’s not gonna be easy folks; it’s a tough league. The players need to show up against the Lincolns, Oxfords and Cambridges to get promoted. They haven’t done that, so now we suffer the consequences of those failures. If you think KM is the problem I’m sorry you’re deluded. Also, don’t you think Ashton tried to get in a few defenders? Come on I’ve tolerated a lot of bullshit with previous managers and owners over the past 20 years, but in my opinion everything is right with the club’s infrastructure right now. Players just need to perform and wear the shirt with pride.
You have a very short memory regarding how you felt a few weeks back but that was ok was it ? Walking away from supporting your club completely as I recall ? About as extreme as it gets.

Yes Mckenna is a tit at times, f**king around with line ups, no clue as to his best defence or attack, refusing to play a different formation once in a while, it goes on.

It doesn't stop at just a couple of good games against a Burnley B team, what about Lincoln, Accrington, Wycombe and Cambridge?

We did well second half yesterday, that's not arguable but the first half yet again was pedestrian, defending woeful and the attack non existent until the excellent free kick, and yest rotating your best, in form striker who has just scored Three goals in the last Two league games is the sign of a tit I'm afraid.

I like McKenna, think he'll go on to be an excellent manager at a higher level although probably not with us, but he is making way harder than it should be and is completely over thinking it all the time.

If everyone is happy with being almost resigned to a play off slot at best then good luck to you all, for me with this squad and backing and a third of the season still to go its pretty much failure for me. Of course we could still make top Two but we keep going on about stringing wins together, been saying it for bloody weeks now and still the excuses still keep getting rolled out, if anyone thinks Tuesday night is a given then think again. Three wins from our last Eleven League games, pretty poor and lower half of the table form.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:35 am

9, you did poke at those who apparently say the club are 'doomed' and then you go on to say its a tough league and we should be realistic, well that's what the people you're poking at are doing?!

And when it comes to defenders, as far as I can see, Ashton has nearly always gotten what the team wants/is needed in a window. He clearly had the financial backing based on the players we did bring in, so yes, it's disappointing the defence wasn't bolstered, when it's clearly struggling.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:02 am

KMck remit at the start of the season was to get the club promoted. That can be done automatically or via the play offs. Both are still achievable. Granted the last 11 league games and 3 wins is not promotion form but with 16 games left and 48pts to play for, we still have hope.
I would also like to say I think KMck has shown a little of his inexperience by chopping and changing players a bit to often.