League 1 - Bristol Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Is this the first of a run of 3 pointers?

Rovers Win
7%
Town Win
67%
Draw
27%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Bristol Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:43 am

Image Bristol Rovers FC v Ipswich Town Image

Tuesday 14th February 2023 – 19:45

Memorial Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Bluemike

On the face of it Saturday's draw with top of the table Sheffield Wednesday was a creditable effort, especially when One takes into account the fact we were Two goals down after 30 odd minutes, sadly however it is another game gone where we have failed to make up ground on the top Two. It was also another game where we decided to not bother turning up until virtually half the game was gone, this is not the first time in recent weeks that scenario has raised it's head. I felt the defending in the opening half was nothing short of awful once again, we switched off at a crucial moment, players failed to track runners and others went awol instead of marking their men in the box, all in all a collective shambles.

All that after we had spurned a glorious opportunity from the spot to go ahead as Conor Chaplin missed another spot kick, that would be him off that particular duty if it was down to me. Surprisingly it seemed to knock us for much of the first half and we were most certainly not at the races and second best all over the park. We were fortunate in that the Owls missed a golden opportunity to go Three ahead which most certainly would have been game over and we then hauled our way back into the game courtesy of a fantastic free kick from Nathan Broadhead just before half time, it was his first for the club and came at a time when we needed a moment of magic, I have to say up to that point I had not seen anything about him in the Three times he's played to be excited about, in fact I had been very disappointed but that One moment gives me hope that the guy can turn out to be a very astute signing.

After the break it was a completely different story with Town taking the game to Wednesday throughout the half, getting level with so much time to play raised everyone's hopes and it was true to say that there was only going to be One winner should a Fifth goal arrive, sadly it didn't and the latest must win game passed without it being won. In fairness to Town they really did take it to Sheffield and created several chances while our visitors pretty much created nothing after the break, sadly as is often the case we failed to get the job done at a time we really needed to win. The draw kind of leaves us in no man's land still and very much giving us it all to do in what remains of the domestic season.

Staying positive is very hard at times and I am as guilty as anyone in that regard right now but glancing at the Next Five league games does give hope to the belief that all is not quite lost just yet, Five very winnable games are coming up and they are against teams which quite frankly any team serious about promotion should be beating, let's face it Wednesday & Plymouth would, and indeed have, been beating them. Should we somehow take the maximum Fifteen points you would think we would have hauled ourselves back into the automatic promotion race, Sheffield Wednesday do face Peterborough & Portsmouth in their next Five while Plymouth do seem to have favorable fixtures with only Peterborough looking tricky although a trip to Oxford is never a gimme. All we can do is go out and win them all to at least put the pressure on others around us.

The first of our Five winnable games comes at Bristol Rovers on Tuesday evening, we meet a Rovers team who are currently on a really bad run of form, Four straight defeats have seen them slip down to Fourteenth place when they were looking at being on the cusp of the play off's not that long ago, Three of those defeats were against Lincoln, Accrington & MK Dons and all without finding the net, the other defeat was a thumping 5-1 reverse at Morecambe so I really don't want to hear any excuses on this one, I get no game is easy but if we can't win this in their current form then we should not even be contemplating the play offs. With another home game to follow on Saturday against bottom of the League Forest Green Rovers we really should be looking at the maximum Six points with little fuss.

I think we are very much at a crossroads right now with where and how Kieran McKenna is viewed, and talking to a good many people like me they rate him and think he is destined for bigger things, however many are confused as to why we are looking like messing up a situation that at one time looked so promising, we all have differing views and ideas but most are united in the fact we should without question be doing better, It is not too late, but now is the time to finally deliver. I for One think we will start the winning streak here with a positive result and Three very important points. Town win. COYB'S.

Bristol Rovers FC - Honours

League

Third Division/League One

Champions (1): 1989–90
Runners-up (1): 1973–74
Promotion (1): 1969–70

Third Division South
Champions (1): 1952–53

Southern League Division One
Champions (1): 1904–05

Fourth Division/League Two
Promotion (2): 2015–16, 2021–22
Play-off winners (1): 2006–07

National League
Play-off winners (1): 2014–15

Cups

Football League Third Division South Cup
Winners (1): 1934–35

Football League Trophy
Runners-up (2): 1989–90, 2006–07

Watney Cup
Winners (1): 1972

Gloucestershire Cup
Winners (32): 1888–89, 1902–03, 1904–05, 1913–14, 1924–25, 1927–28, 1934–35, 1935–36, 1937–38, 1947–48, 1948–49, 1950–51, 1953–54, 1954–55, 1955–56, 1958–59, 1962–63, 1963–64, 1964–65, 1965–66, 1967–68, 1973–74, 1974–75, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1984–85, 1988–89, 1989–90, 1992–93, 1993–94, 1994–95

The Manager – Joey Barton

League Table

Form Guide

Bristol Rovers

7 Jan Cambridge Utd 1 - 2 Bristol Rovers

14 Jan Accrington 2 - 0 Bristol Rovers

28 Jan Morecambe 5 - 1 Bristol Rovers

4 Feb Bristol Rovers 0 - 2 Milton Keynes

11 Feb Lincoln City 1 - 0 Bristol Rovers

Ipswich Town

14 Jan Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Plymouth

21 Jan Oxford Utd 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

24 Jan Ipswich Town 4 - 0 Morecambe

4 Feb Cambridge Utd 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

11 Feb Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Sheffield Wed

Head to Head

Match Referee – Paul Howard

BRISTOL ROVERS 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Bristol Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:43 am

A draw , because we f**king useless !

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:52 am

A win - because Joey B is a knob!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:27 am

Comprehensive and fair preview, and correct in stating we are united in expecting the team to be in a better position. Every game is must win now so no matter who KM picks to start, the players have to show up. Primarily, that means better finishing and better defending. With KM’s rotation policy, most have been given plenty of chances to show what they can do. No more excuses…get it done on the pitch!

I’m expecting a much needed confident win. Anything less will not be tolerated anymore this season. Regardless of the result, I for one won’t be blaming the manager for the players underperforming. However, KM needs to get the team selection right and he needs to make the appropriate substitutions. I’ll leave that to him though. I think he’s much more qualified to make those decisions than I am.

COME ON YOU BLUES!!!!!!!!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:42 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:43 am
HB may I prescribe another positivity thread?

Rovers are not on a good run of form (even worse than Town's). We've had a few must wins games, but perhaps this is the most must of the must wins? Only two teams have conceded more than Rovers this year, so Town really have to go there with the attitude of sticking 3 or 4 past them and making a statement of intent. They are capable of that, so pull your thumbs out.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:19 pm

I'm going for a win for 2 reasons, no one wants to see JBs smug face if we lose and my OH will be very pissed off when I lob a brick at the telly if they showed it!! :lol: #coyb

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:26 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:42 am
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:43 am
HB may I prescribe another positivity thread?

Rovers are not on a good run of form (even worse than Town's). We've had a few must wins games, but perhaps this is the most must of the must wins? Only two teams have conceded more than Rovers this year, so Town really have to go there with the attitude of sticking 3 or 4 past them and making a statement of intent. They are capable of that, so pull your thumbs out.
Ha ha yes maybe we need one !! :lol: All I’ll say is Cambridge were on a bad run of form, we just keep cocking it up don’t we🤷‍♀️ x

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:13 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:26 pm
we just keep cocking it up don’t we🤷‍♀️ x
You can say that again! 8pts off top spot, we've definitely leaked that and then some in the last couple months.

Still the league's top scorers, I still believe, though that changes daily :lol:

First time it's hit me that it's Bolton and Barnsley floating about up there, certainly playoff history with those two, lets avoid that...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:45 pm

Yes I made that point a while back, Bolton and Barnsley ffs, you couldn't script it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:57 pm

I certainly wouldn’t fancy meeting Bolton on their current form. P8 W6 D1 L1 F16 A3 Pts19 GD +13

This is so much better than our;
P8 W2 D5 L1 F15 A9 Pts12 GD +6

This also highlights where our problem is conceding 9 goals.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:44 pm

It's about time we had a decent run of form, and why not start that now, against BR.

If we can only start with the same attitude the other day we could do it. The amount of times weve heard 'plenty of games left/need to start winning' we would all be rich, put those words into action boys.

Going for a 3 - 1 win to us.

Just changing subject slightly but I would pay good money to see 'Barton vs Sutton' in an MMA ring, love to see them kick each other to bits, if not physically then verbally! dislike both of them with a passion lol.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:22 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:57 pm
I certainly wouldn’t fancy meeting Bolton on their current form. P8 W6 D1 L1 F16 A3 Pts19 GD +13

That's always been the problem Andy, worse still is the percentage of goals scored against us from the chances created is horrendous.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:39 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:22 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:57 pm

That's always been the problem Andy, worse still is the percentage of goals scored against us from the chances created is horrendous.
You’re right Mike and in contrast to that we need twice as many chances and twice as many shots on target than most of our opponents to score the same number of goals because our shooting accuracy has been so poor of late.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:00 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:42 am
.......Town really have to go there with the attitude of sticking 3 or 4 past them and making a statement of intent. They are capable of that, so pull your thumbs out.
Yep, nice write up......, and also spot on with that, Ricco. I'm personally going for a high scoring 5-2 away win to finally confirm 100% that I haven't got a feckin clue what I'm talking about.

Joey: "Nice one, Ref...., really really nice."
Ref: "That sarcasm, Joey?"

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:03 pm

After Oxford, Cambridge and Sheffield Wednesday perhaps we could try and turn up for the 1st half. Staying down in Somerset for a mini-break just hope the 90 minutes football isn’t the thing to ruin in it.
Going for a Town win but not convinced we will.

Rovers 1 Town 2

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:00 pm

0-2 win for Town, 0-3 even if we score early. Could this be the start of a 5 game winning streak ? How important could that be. Sadly if we lose tomorrow night I think we should all accept it’s just not gonna happen this season.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:15 pm

Yeah if we don’t start beating these lower teams in bad form, we won’t even be in the playoffs!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:28 pm

God forbid that Happens No9, But if it does I think we have every right to question KM big time, it would be a massive failure to not even make the play offs, I just can't contemplate that tbh but should it come to pass I'd be happy to see him removed from post.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:46 pm

I think I’d still give him another season if he stayed. Btw thanks to your comments of past, I’ll never give up completely on ITFC. My blood is blue! However, I’m not sure I’d be an active supporter as it were. I love this forum and as I’ve said many times before, it’s a welcome distraction from all the other bullshit in life.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:07 pm

We all say things in the heat of the moment, god knows I do but we are all Blue through and through.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:24 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:46 pm
I’m not sure I’d be an active supporter as it were.
Same here for Easter Road trips. Definitely a pick n choose supporter these days. Mainly because they are ripping me off blind……,
….., just as Ipswich Town are ripping you guys off……,
…….& Liverpool & Stoke City & whoever are ripping their fans off.

Ticket prices thru the roof and then another mortgage for a coffee and pizza slice……… and to pay these charlatans wages.
Used to be ST holder, plus away games 80s /90s but nope, no more.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:30 am

To be honest Marko, me paying around 28 quid a month doesn't feel like I being ripped off tbh, I think its pretty decent for what we see these days.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:32 pm

It’s much less expensive than paying golf subs and green fees etc and you don’t have to do all the work 🏌️‍♂️

A footie season ticket is cheap by comparison as long as you can make all or most of the games. But of course you have to enjoy watching what’s dished up. I’d certainly be happy to pay watching town at the moment even with the current frustration of mixed results.

I’m not sure I’d still bother with away games, I think those days would be over for me although I’d probably pick and choose a few.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:36 pm

Very foggy down in Brizzle apparently: are we about to witness “ Foggate II - the sequel “?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:33 pm

Just looked at the forecast for Bristol, it says it’s currently perfectly clear with visibility 19 miles. I think someone is winding you up Liz.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:35 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:36 pm
Very foggy down in Brizzle apparently: are we about to witness “ Foggate II - the sequel “?
Maybe someone could check this before I book ifollow.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:49 pm

:lol: foggate take 2. I used to live a stones throw from the ground, it'll be fine, not an area that gets much. Beautiful conditions when I left Bristol earlier, was like spring had sprung, a lovely day to stick 6 past the gas.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:49 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:35 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:36 pm
Maybe someone could check this before I book ifollow.
Checking out the latest webcam images (17.44hrs) for Horfield (close to the ground) /Filton and looks nearer to the 19 miles visibilty than 19 metres :lol: .
I used this website, as the other ones for the Harbour area were offline.
http://www.martynhicks.uk/weather/data.php?page=webcam

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:23 pm

Only been to Bristol Rovers once for a 5th Round FA Cup tie in 1978 the year we went on to win the FA Cup. We drew 2-2 at their old ground Eastville on a snowy and icy pitch that would never be played on these days. We won the replay convincingly at Portman Road I think 3-0.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:46 pm

Tonight's team news;

Town: Walton, Donacien, Woolfenden, Burgess, Burns, Morsy (C), Humphreys, Davis, Aluko, Harness, Ladapo.

Subs: Hladky, Clarke, Edwards, Broadhead, Chaplin, Jackson, Hirst.