League 1 - Bristol Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Is this the first of a run of 3 pointers?

Rovers Win
7%
Town Win
67%
Draw
27%

Total votes: 15

Ricco

Re: League 1 - Bristol Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ricco » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:40 pm

Well it's going to be a barrel of laughs on here this week ain't it?! Well that was absolute sh*te. Positive news... At least it's only 4 days until they have a chance to make amends, not a full 7. Think I might settle for playoffs if it were offered to me at this rate.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:40 pm

Bolton score a 5th from fewer shots than we’ve had tonight.

penlost

Post by penlost » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:41 pm

That was the biggest waste of a tenner, complete crap

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:41 pm

That was f**king awful . Ladapo and Hirst f*ck me we will never score. Play offs if we are lucky dropping like a f**king stone. Can't defend them anymore. Crap performance crap result..

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:42 pm

Lack of quality, I can take slow build up if better quality. The amount of times, control, passing and shooting just let totally lack quality
Last edited by Steve on Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:42 pm

It really is depressing after the early season promise

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:43 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:40 pm
Terrible indeed, it's hard to score from pot shots when they have 11 men behind the ball. HB is right, they need to hit teams before they can get defensively organised. I'm sure most open play goals are scored from counter attacks.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:44 pm

If Derby and Barnsley win their games in hand we drop to 6th and just stay in the Play Offs. I’d definitely take that now if offered.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:45 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:43 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:40 pm
Terrible indeed, it's hard to score from pot shots when they have 11 men behind the ball. HB is right, they need to hit teams before they can get defensively organised. I'm sure most open play goals are scored from counter attacks.
At the time I was worried those early missed chances would prove costly, especially Burgess 3rd minute header straight at the keeper from 6 yds with the whole goal at his mercy. Bury that chance and we’d have watched a completely different game.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:46 pm

Yeah I’m done being positive. f*ck off KM and take your rubbish players with you! I’m so pissed off. ITFC is definitely cursed. We all don’t deserve this! We’ve waited long enough!

KM out!!!!!!!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:51 pm

Ashton and the Americans need to act fast. Get a manager in asap who can maybe get us in the playoffs! Sorry I’ve held on as long as I can. Time for a change!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:52 pm

We can't beat crap teams. It has cost us all season.
. That is the bottom line. We don't have a decent striker and our number 10's are in and out. Harness is awful Ladapo is poor, Hirst is worse. Chaplin scores when on fire otherwise...well results say it all.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:52 pm

Waste of ten pounds, that was woeful. My poor lad even asked to go to bed rather than watch the last 20 minutes, and that's saying something!! Best squad in the league they say, feck off I say, haven't played well in months. I really do think that top two have gone and if they don't sort out the issues the playoffs may not be certain.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:52 pm

Oh great, now all Duncan Ferguson needs to do is to get his team on Saturday to hold out for say 20 minutes, the fans, who are obviously turning, will get on the players' backs, they'll go into their shells, FGR score a late flukey goal and PR becomes toxic once more!

Oh boy am I looking forward to my trip to Ipswich this weekend! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:54 pm

So its play offs at best. SW and PA would both need to lose 4 out of 15 games that we win to make it any different. Its not gonna happen. So disappointing when we had it in our grasp. KM has much to answer, I agree. I remember Arsenal, years ago always tried to pass the ball into the net and failed - we are the same today. After 5 mins, I thought we would win 4-0 but then we settled into our usual, ineffective selves. I certainly don't fancy us in any play off - and I consider myself usually a positive fan!

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:56 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:52 pm
Oh great, now all Duncan Ferguson needs to do is to get his team on Saturday to hold out for say 20 minutes, the fans, who are obviously turning, will get on the players' backs, they'll go into their shells, FGR score a late flukey goal and PR becomes toxic once more!

Oh boy am I looking forward to my trip to Ipswich this weekend! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope it does get toxic, those players don't deserve the amount of support they are getting at the moment.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:02 pm

Before properly dumping on KMcK……. Please do check out the “total shots” & “shots on target” stats for Ipswich and compare them to Plymouth, Bolton, SheffWed & Barnsley.
Need a modern day Ally McCoist type striker and soon.
Derby may need one as well.,,…. Very similar stats to ITFC, but did manage to score one.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:13 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:56 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:52 pm

I hope it does get toxic, those players don't deserve the amount of support they are getting at the moment.
I most certainly hope it doesn't. For me it's not what supporting a team is about.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:14 pm

Maybe Marko it has something to do with Ladapo in, Hirst out, Chaplin in, Briadhead out, Jackson in, Ladapo out, Hirst in, Chaplin out, Broadhead in, Jackson out.

It's f**king embarrassing and obvious to a blind man that it is totally counter productive to any striker trying to get into a rhythm, take Ladapo just as one example, player of the month in January, scores in first game of Feb and then dumped Saturday, its f**king crap management, it happened to Chaplin earlier in the season too, strikers more than anyone thrive off confidence, continuity and partnerships, they are all impossible under McKenna and his bollocks

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:55 am

Could feasibly have joined in with this at some point or another as had to cancel other arrangements but chose not to. Seems took a right decision in that didn't miss much, it were a no score contest and we made little to no further progress or an automatic promotion place.

It does however, get one's attention in reading up that we were poor and ineffective once again and both teams made something of a no-show. McKenna plays the absolute requisite 4-2-3-1 sh*t, this time Ladapo makes the appearance in lone attack whereas before was somehow omitted, but other than that it ended, or were, a performance or situation we have witnessed too many times before.

Sick or reiterating "don't know (quite) what the problem is with us et cetera" but seems by and large clear we can't hold our nerve or handle certain situations. Can't quite fault the strikers, we're one of, if not THE leading scorers in the division, and actually lose games few and far between, but as demonstrated once again the team can't quite match up to it's competitors when chasing something as pivotal as a promotion challenge. That's the one factor which can, I won't say will, cost the team clearly in what remains of the season. Just viewed the league standings, Yes there is the chance the team could fall out the top six and miss out altogether in May by way of ANY promotion opportunity.

f*ck that, best not entertain the idea.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:02 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:14 pm
Maybe Marko it has something to do with Ladapo in, Hirst out, Chaplin in, Briadhead out, Jackson in, Ladapo out, Hirst in, Chaplin out, Broadhead in, Jackson out.

It's f**king embarrassing and obvious to a blind man that it is totally counter productive to any striker trying to get into a rhythm, take Ladapo just as one example, player of the month in January, scores in first game of Feb and then dumped Saturday, its f**king crap management, it happened to Chaplin earlier in the season too, strikers more than anyone thrive off confidence, continuity and partnerships, they are all impossible under McKenna and his bollocks
McKenna now needs to accept that the rotation and the 67th minute sub system has not worked. It might well be a good idea for a Premier league outfit playing in the champions league, but this is league 1. This year and last the automatic slots are filled by big, physical sides that muscle their opponents off the ball and bully their way to wins week after week.

It's almost certainly too late for the autos so let's win the playoffs. This for me is our best side and should be playing every game and all game. With some timely and tactical subs when needed.

Walton, Clarke, Woolf, Burgess, Burns, Morsy, Humphreys, Davis, Chaplin, Broadhead, Fred

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:31 am

Absolute dross. Well as has been said before there is always one team that falls away and it looks like we are this seasons candidate.
Would not surprise me if we end up outside the top 6 and tbh the way we have been performing then we don’t deserve anything better.
Totally pissed off with ITFC at this moment in time.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:39 am

Yes .let's just see what happens in nxt few games..we have to fully accept that automatics are gone now barring a complete meltdown of one of wed or plymouth..and that ain't going to happen..yes they will lose the odd game but definitely not a few on the bounce..we jst concentrate now on keeping in.the top of the nxt four for playoffs...nothing is lost yet..we have the players and one thing that Is good is that in play off s.teams can't sit back and play 11 behind the ball. As no points on offer .it's each game has to be won. And that is where spaces open up for us to play our good passing football..plus we will be playing on far better dryer surfaces come may..let's not get too down beat ... as i said back weeks ago...with all our millions. We have no divine right to think we own an automatic spot ...Wednesday and plymouth have been there before us .only to loose out ..they know what it's like to taste defeat and letdown..they are the hungrier and bigger and stronger and battle hardened..if they go up .they do on merit .let's get behind ipswich now..and roar them on till the last game in Wembley. It will be the sweetest I rest my case

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:48 am

I used to think you were on a wind up Denny but hats off to your positively, this is role reversal at its best.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:00 am

Sounds like there was an incident after the game involving Morsy, anyone got any ideas ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:35 am

I do get what you’re saying Mike re the consistency, and thriving on confidence etc, and yep it’ll be a smidgeon of the problem, (no doubt) …… but got to say, (and its only opinion really) ….. they have to realise, for now, he’s the boss and they (players on park) MUST be held to some kind of accountability.
When the stats consistently show 20plus shots, usually 8 or more on target, with zero return…. 🤷‍♂️, its shocking really. The Lincoln game earlier in the season pre-blip, 34 shots, 14 on target :shock:

I do get it ——->> if your players are on form, don’t meddle, (and maybe Kieron needs emptied on that, I don’t know) ….. but FFS, regardless of their precious hurt feelings on being benched——>>>>> bust a gut when picked.

Edit:

Just as a side note.

Bolton Wanderers over two games.
10 goals scored.
32 shots
14 on target.

10 goals from 14 on target.

Only one change last night v MKD from the side that thumped Posh on saturday. So yep, there is definitely value in sticking with the troops, (as Neilson proves up here)

I can’t remember what manager it was in the recent years who wasn’t changing things….. was it Paul Cook? Or Paul Hurst picking a losing 11 consistently? Fine lines between getting it right and wrong in fans eyes.

Anyway…….. long winded post which is agreeing but also angry at players not being able to step up. Really fkn pisses me off. Bust a gut for the jersey when picked you C words!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:05 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:00 am
Sounds like there was an incident after the game involving Morsy, anyone got any ideas ?
I heard he went head to head with fans too. Not ideal but not unexpected. We continue to be awful week after week and I said during the game that if KVY's comments were representative of how great the players 'think' they are, they are deluded. Also, McKenna is rotating too much as Mike says and following his plan A (5 subs at 65 mins) repetitively and hoping our 'quality' shines through - it hasn't! We have no-one who can score a goal and always look vulnerable at the back. When teams sit back (why shouldn't they??), we fail to break them down. It happened from game 1 in the season yet we still do the same thing and have no plan b so the draw (or potential to give a goal away and lose) becomes a reality. They are clearly NOT as good as we OR THEY think they are. McKenna has been found out but the proof of whether he actually WILL be a good manager should show in his reaction. Right now, he is failing to impress. Reminds me a bit of Prem Lge players who become managers without any grounding (ie Lampard). Great player but found out as soon as the going gets tough....

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:48 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:00 am
Saw him go over to the terrace area Mike and have words with a fan. I was in the seating section so couldn’t tell what was going on though. Atmosphere at the end of the game not good although I’ve known it to be far worse in the past. A lot of fans didn’t clap the players at the end, myself included, but I didn’t hear much abuse being given to them although as I’ve said I wasn’t on the terrace.
I don’t know if you have been to the Memorial Stadium but if you haven’t don’t bother as all I can say is it is one of the worst stadiums I’ve ever been too including this country and Europe. But that in no way had anything to do with the team performance.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:01 pm

I was too mad to post last night after watching and didn't even wait for any post match interviews and to be honest I haven't watched/listened to any this morning either as I don't want to hear the excuses! They were an absolute shower of sh*te! I'm beginning to doubt we'll even make the playoffs at this rate and I've always been a glass half full kinda girl but I think I drained it last night!!! I'm sure by Saturday the glass will be full again and I'll be sitting here in cold, windy and probably rainy Spain with a totally different attitude, plotting how the hell and I get away with coming back for the play off games and the final without the OH noticing I'm gone for a couple of weeks!! :lol: :lol:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:35 pm

LizinSpain wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:01 pm
They were an absolute shower of sh*te!
I'm glad you didn't comment last night, 'cause if that's after you've calmed down, you probably would've crashed the forum with it trying to sensor your post :lol: