Town fans when we scored vs MKDons

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Town fans when we scored vs MKDons

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:44 pm

number 9

Re: Town fans when we scored vs MKDons

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:31 pm

With support like that, we should have won 3 or 4 nil. If those fans can’t motivate the players, then how the hell can KM?!

Cue the dropped microphone! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:29 am

I'll take the 1-0 all day long, I actually take more pleasure from that than I do the 4-0's against Morecambe and FGR, if we had managed to see out a couple more of those in the 93rd minute we'd be above Plymouth already.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:40 am

The 1-0 was all we needed but I still fear how we may perform against Derby, Bolton and Barnsley as we really need to win them all. Sadly, I fear we will win one, draw one and lose one which won't be enough. We then enter the lottery of play-offs which I will love but hate in equal parts. My fear comes from the same place we all have lurking - the past 20 years... I sooooo hope I am wrong but...

Still not sure about McKenna
Still hasn't fixed the bits we need
Flaky at the back
Wasteful in attack
Town aren't good enough to win this league...

Sorry but its true I am afraid 🙁

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:52 am

All I will say Wilf is cast your mind back to the first time we played Derby, Bolton and Barnsley...... outplayed them all, keep believing.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:54 am

I do Mike and its totally possible. Just hope all the belief is justified! Time will tell I guess 🤞

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:25 am

Blue Wilf
Totally agree with your comment about wasteful in attack. Yes we got away with it on Saturday but in those games to come against Bolton, Barnsley and Derby it is likely we will have far fewer opportunities to score and when they do come along we must take them. Still can’t believe that Broadhead miss after Morsy’s shot was pushed out by the MK keeper.
Anyhow, it’s important for now just to concentrate on the next game against Burton who have also been getting some decent results recently.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:29 am

I think we must get Luonga ( spl?) in the team every week because this will allow Morsy to get forward and take those sort of shots. For some reason our bloody strikers don’t take these kind of shots as we strive to walk the ball onto the net the whole time. But Our defence is still flaky to say the least !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:32 am

As I’ve been saying for weeks in my opinion it’s our strikers woeful performance in front of goal that’s costing us just as much as our flaky defence.

I’d have them all spending day after day after day on the training ground having shooting practice from every blade of grass inside the penalty area until they instinctively know where the goal is without looking. That’s Harry Kane’s standard, if it’s good enough for him it’s good enough for our boys.

With the number of shots we have on goal our return of goals scored is woeful. Saturday the ratio was 21;1, that’s really not good and I suspect one of the lowest in the League.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:49 am

Tbh Andy it’s both ends of the pitch . Non clinical strikers compared to shots made and flaky
“ defenders”( who I doubt would get into either of the top two teams in this division).

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:10 pm

Town are 1st for goals scored in the division by 2 goals, Town are 6th best in the division for goals conceded and 9 goals worse than the best, and that's despite having more of the ball than any other team (61.6% to Bolton's 56.5% who are second in that regard). For me the argument starts and ends there.

They have obviously wasted a hell of a lot of chances, possibly an unacceptable amount, but then we've created more chances this season than we have for decades, so it's reasonable to think more chances are going to be missed.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:00 pm

Been saying similar stuff since the Lincoln City debacle which was something like 33 shots, 13 on target, zero goals.

Other side of the reasonable argument is……. Score 4 (well done, chaps) …… concede 4 (hmmm, 🤔) —->> Charlton Athletic.

Who knows. 🤷‍♂️

Kieron……. If you read Tractor Boys dotcom —->> be a pundit.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:36 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:10 pm
Town are 1st for goals scored in the division by 2 goals, Town are 6th best in the division for goals conceded and 9 goals worse than the best, and that's despite having more of the ball than any other team (61.6% to Bolton's 56.5% who are second in that regard). For me the argument starts and ends there.

They have obviously wasted a hell of a lot of chances, possibly an unacceptable amount, but then we've created more chances this season than we have for decades, so it's reasonable to think more chances are going to be missed.
I've maintained all along, and still do it's not the scoring that's the problem, of course you are going to miss chances, what isn't acceptable for me is when the defence often has one f**king attack to defend all game and it invariably ends up in the net, that is where the issue has always been.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:19 pm

I’m pretty neutral now on the defense vs attack debate. You can look at it both ways really. If our defenders prevent a goal maybe one goal is enough to win. Or, if our forwards score two goals maybe that is enough to win. We haven’t conceded a lot of goals in most matches, and two goals certainly would have won most of those 1-1 draws. Yes we need to defend one goal leads much better, but for automatic promotion you have to score more goals.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:29 pm

I just love watching that video of us at MKD. I swear I can ickle Mikey jumping up n down holding an inflatable :lol:

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:57 am

Are you sure that is not an inflatable jumping up and down holding 'Ickle Mikey'

:P

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:49 am

Earl Blue wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:57 am
Are you sure that is not an inflatable jumping up and down holding 'Ickle Mikey'

You're now gonna tell me it was an inflatable c*ck right ? Lmao, been called worse 🤣

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:17 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:19 pm
I’m pretty neutral now on the defense vs attack debate. You can look at it both ways really. If our defenders prevent a goal maybe one goal is enough to win. Or, if our forwards score two goals maybe that is enough to win. We haven’t conceded a lot of goals in most matches, and two goals certainly would have won most of those 1-1 draws. Yes we need to defend one goal leads much better, but for automatic promotion you have to score more goals.
That's fine and all, but you could make the same argument had they scored 200 this season and conceded 150, you can just ask the forwards to score one more and win 4-3. But if I were a forward, the only two words that would come to mind while I point to the league table for team goals scored are off and f*ck.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:53 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:17 pm
number 9 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:19 pm
That's fine and all, but you could make the same argument had they scored 200 this season and conceded 150, you can just ask the forwards to score one more and win 4-3. But if I were a forward, the only two words that would come to mind while I point to the league table for team goals scored are off and f*ck.
Yeah we’ve had a couple 4-0 wins which is great, but we’re only two goals better than the top two teams. SW are certainly dominant defensively and that is why they are where they are. So yes we score a lot of goals, but we concede too many. I still believe though several of those 1-1s should have been won with better finishing.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:54 pm

Alright, stats time and how I interpret it. In the league this season the average amount of shots before a team scores is 12.3. Ipswich are waaaaaay outside of the average, they are huge outliers in the shots required to score and concede, and that is including the last 4 seasons, which is all the data I can get.

Shots taken for every goal scored: 17.4

Posh are second on 15 shots and only one other team in the last 4 seasons has taken more than 15 shots on average per goal, Accrington last year, so I think it is safe to say it's very not normal. I think it probably shows two things, opposition really getting men behind the ball and making Town shoot through bodies and making them have to settle for more difficult chances. The other is poor finishing, but again, you can't place too much blame on the forwards if the team are top scorers (in my opinion).

Shots taken for every goal conceded: 7.4

No other team in the last 4 seasons have been below 9 shots for every goal conceded! I think that is ridiculous, Walton is not a bad keeper I don't think, so I personally think that this highlights woeful defending. If teams are scoring with so few shots, it means that the chances they are creating are excellent clear chances. To me that means counter attacks where there is lots of space to be found and players really failing in dangerous places, which highlights the CB, and possibly the keeper.

Personally if I were manager, I would say stop overloading so much in attack. That increases the chance to draw the opposition out a touch and allow more space and less congestion in dangerous areas, but it also means they'd be better protected against counters. I'd also look at the defensive line, a high line is tempting, as the defenders can be more involved and it's easier to harass the other team and regain possession quickly. The team have clearly be employed that tactic, which is one reason why the team have had the most possession in the league by a mile, but it leaves you susceptible, particularly against faster attackers, you're constantly defending whilst backpeddling or running towards your own goal, which is never fun.

Would be interested to see how other view those stats. I also looked at the Championship as there's stats for longer, in the last 10 seasons, only one teams has conceded every 9 shots or fewer (and that was 8.9 shots!), some years no team goes below 10. Ipswich with 7.4 are huge outliers.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:56 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:53 pm
I still believe though several of those 1-1s should have been won with better finishing.
That is for sure, have to have the balls to score at important times, not just when cruising.

And further to my post above... Wycombe have had 471 shots against them this season, Ipswich have had 229, both have conceded 31 goals. Make of that what you will.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:32 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:54 pm
Alright, stats time and how I interpret it. In the league this season the average amount of shots before a team scores is 12.3. Ipswich are waaaaaay outside of the average, they are huge outliers in the shots required to score and concede, and that is including the last 4 seasons, which is all the data I can get.

Shots taken for every goal scored: 17.4

Posh are second on 15 shots and only one other team in the last 4 seasons has taken more than 15 shots on average per goal, Accrington last year, so I think it is safe to say it's very not normal. I think it probably shows two things, opposition really getting men behind the ball and making Town shoot through bodies and making them have to settle for more difficult chances. The other is poor finishing, but again, you can't place too much blame on the forwards if the team are top scorers (in my opinion).

Shots taken for every goal conceded: 7.4

No other team in the last 4 seasons have been below 9 shots for every goal conceded! I think that is ridiculous, Walton is not a bad keeper I don't think, so I personally think that this highlights woeful defending. If teams are scoring with so few shots, it means that the chances they are creating are excellent clear chances. To me that means counter attacks where there is lots of space to be found and players really failing in dangerous places, which highlights the CB, and possibly the keeper.

Personally if I were manager, I would say stop overloading so much in attack. That increases the chance to draw the opposition out a touch and allow more space and less congestion in dangerous areas, but it also means they'd be better protected against counters. I'd also look at the defensive line, a high line is tempting, as the defenders can be more involved and it's easier to harass the other team and regain possession quickly. The team have clearly be employed that tactic, which is one reason why the team have had the most possession in the league by a mile, but it leaves you susceptible, particularly against faster attackers, you're constantly defending whilst backpeddling or running towards your own goal, which is never fun.

Would be interested to see how other view those stats. I also looked at the Championship as there's stats for longer, in the last 10 seasons, only one teams has conceded every 9 shots or fewer (and that was 8.9 shots!), some years no team goes below 10. Ipswich with 7.4 are huge outliers.
OMG Ricco, thank you !! Absolutely word perfect and completely spot on, someone who gets it, that demonstrates perfectly where we go wrong, I've maintained all season we concede from bugger all attempts on out goal way too often, that just proves it, the defence is 100% our weakness, so many efforts on goal can be down to the things you outline perfectly.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:08 pm

I nominate Charnwood.

What I mean is......, no one can be arsed checking stats. And so the majority of posts like yours Ricco, (across ALL sports forums) go largely unchecked. Not saying you are typing up wind & pish, buddy....., but I certainly cannot be arsed checking your findings. So its a case of, "take your word for it"

but Charnwood is defo TB.Com's original STAT-MAN ---->> (Stopped checking Charnwoods stats YEARS AGO because they were always so bloody correct!)......, Over to you Charnwood.

PS....., If you can't be arsed, Charnwood, then err......hmmm, erm........, Ok Ricco. Believe you.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:19 pm

The thing is Marko, without even seeing any stats, Ricco's or otherwise it was glaringly obvious even to a blind man that our defence was or is very weak, bordering on poor much of the time. For me the attacking side of our team, has by and large performed.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:27 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:08 pm
Ok Ricco. Believe you.
I do try and use stats to stimulate conversation, not just end it! Would be interested to hear other's takes on it. The stats ain't cherry-picked, they're clear and easy to understand and are shots/goals for and against. It's the most relevant and easy to digest stats I can think of for the discussion being had.

You can definitely be led astray with stats, but stats don't lie, they can be misinterpreted of course, but all of our opinions are far more fallible if only based on vague memories of the season.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:49 am
Earl Blue wrote:

You're now gonna tell me it was an inflatable c*ck right ? Lmao, been called worse 🤣
Honestly I was not, but I did see it there..

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:37 pm

I was only kidding lol

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:13 am

Earl Blue wrote:

Lol , well I did take a pic of someone holding an inflatable Willy ( mainly because a friend of mine said I’d take one when I told her it was “ inflatables day”)…., don’t know how to post it in here though do you’re all lucky there!

Mike, you haven’t got the nickname Willy by any chance have you? :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:03 am

Nope, habeas few but not that one lol 😆