Fifth Round hits and misses.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Fifth Round hits and misses.

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:26 pm

Couldn't help notice some F.A Cup action today, there were a mixed bag of scores but significant nonetheless.

Sheffield United 1 Tottenham 0

thoughts : somehow pleased with that. Don't like the EPL having it all their own way and teams like SUFC, they're nowhere near as glamorous or got the trophy history of their opponents, so more power to them. Must have been some event at Bramall Lane, the fans in Yorkshire have got to enjoy that.

Manchester United 3 West Ham 1

All right the former have won enough and no shortage of glory on their honors list but don't like their opponents and kind of enjoy any defeat or setback that comes their way. In fact the London team could just have easily won today and added further advantage when they had a 1 - 0 lead. - But they didn't, so stuff that.

Burnley 1 Fleetwood 0

Would have wanted a Burnley loss as they put us out at the last stage and would have been great for Fleetwood to have made the last eight. It took a last minute goal for them to do it. Had to do an edit there as a small percentage of resentment still evident after our elimination in Round Four. They're not going to win the goddamn thing..

Southampton 1 Grimsby 2

Isn't this what the competition's all about. Odd scores like that where no-one can really predict what's going to occur but all things are possible. Feel sorry for Southampton, maybe would have picked them to win it of the last remaining teams ot at least wished for that to come to pass. Traditional F.A. Cup team, Bobby Stokes and all for those of a certain age.

Think the Sixth Roud draw should have taken place also but can't see no mention of it. Maybe it's tomorrow or something.

Ipswich women incidentally recorded a 1 - 0 win over Billericay in the WNL. Any other scores from today , I kind of fail to recognize.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Fifth Round hits and misses.

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:39 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:26 pm
Ipswich women incidentally recorded a 1 - 0 win over Billericay in the WNL. Any other scores from today , I kind of fail to recognize.
Hamilton (W) 0 Celtic (W) 7

And the Gooners pumping your other lot 4-0, Spidey.
I’ll wager ITFC going to Goodison next season in a League game. Bricks n Glass Dyche ain’t saving those Toffees.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:45 pm

When they were 1 up I have no doubt all those hammer fans in Clacton were getting their shirts out ready to wear around the town tomorrow and then have to put them quickly away again.
Love it! :lol: :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:11 am

arana peligrosa wrote:

Burnley 1 Fleetwood 0
I found the stats for this quite interesting. Disregarding the Fleetwood sending off which no doubt increased the Burnley possession percentage to 77%, but the rest are;
Total shots - 31
Shots on target -9
Goals -1 , right at the death!

Seems Ipswich are not the only ones who struggle to convert at times!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:35 am

Well done, Paul Hurst. Fair play to him getting Grimsby to the QFs.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:04 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:11 am
arana peligrosa wrote:

Burnley 1 Fleetwood 0
I found the stats for this quite interesting. Disregarding the Fleetwood sending off which no doubt increased the Burnley possession percentage to 77%, but the rest are;
Total shots - 31
Shots on target -9
Goals -1 , right at the death!

Seems Ipswich are not the only ones who struggle to convert at times!
Ok for a one off though, Azzurro. Bad day at office etc etc bla bla ……
But its a regular thing for Ipswich. 20-25+ scoring attemps……. Sometimes for zero goals.

Think we (or i) just need to accept that the days of Alan Shearer or Ally McCoist are over.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:30 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:04 am
Think we (or i) just need to accept that the days of Alan Shearer or Ally McCoist are over.
There's still Brett Pitman, Marko! :wink:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23356346.i ... ing-goals/

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:18 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:35 am
Well done, Paul Hurst. Fair play to him getting Grimsby to the QFs.
At least his “win rate” there is significantly better than the 6.7% he clocked up at ITFC.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:54 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:30 am
marko69 wrote:

Who turned Haaland into Pitman? :shock:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:01 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:54 pm
number 9 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:30 am
marko69 wrote:

Who turned Haaland into Pitman? :shock:
Only just turned 35 :lol: he's looked 35 for his whole professional career, hasn't aged though, good stuff.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:00 pm

Hurst is something of an enigma. Left a real mess with us and gone in a relative short space of time to something of a national hero. Took a moment to view past coaching stats and the only club name he failed at was with us, all other appointments met with an arguable success. Even after the disaster here I got no animosity towards the name, in fact wish him well. Hurst has masterminded something epic at a new club and on the verge of a historic acheivement as such. Just a shame his one fall-out in his managerial time happened to be with us.

They took 4,000 from Lincolnshire is it to Southampton last night and to quote one news item "Waved in unison (their) Harry Haddocks in hand/s" Not one for humor but kind of saw some level of amusement in it. Not only that they got a trip or tie with Brighton in the next round. Guess some things are just meant to be.

last word on it their scorer last night that meant the success were able was someone called Holohan. Thought for a moment it's one of Norwich's ex-lot that dropped down to lower level but the spelling isn't quite the same. We'll let it rest.