League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Another hard fought 3 points?

Ipswich Win
93%
Burton Win
No votes
Draw
7%

Total votes: 15

Cabanas Blue

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:01 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:51 pm
A good, solid win when we were not 100% at the races. Ladapo was great for me, along with Chaplin and Luongo. Oh and what a great block from Burgess in the second half - real heart and soul in that one. Take the 3 points and move on - we didn't make a dent on Plymouth but we did on Derby, Barnsley and Bolton so a good day all round. Plymouth will falter - we just need to make sure we don't...
Plymouth play Derby and Barnsley next so if we win our next two we will possibly be in a much better position.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:24 am

If the team don't get a promotion this year it won't be through want of trying. Didn't view starting line up or formation as you just know how its going to be but wonder many more goals the team could feasibly score with a regular two or three man forward line. Its not a criticism, just feel like we're missing out on something extra.

You couldn't ask for more from today. Four goals, none let in and Bolton and Derby drop two points each. The top two are going to be tough to catch, I don't want no play off lottery, particularly given our record in them but perhaps that's what we'll get. No way should anyone give up on the automatic promotion places just yet but its going to be tough to finish inside them by final end of season.

Accrington should bring another 3 points next game and after that a mammoth tussle with Bolton. Win them together and you can really start to believe.

Caught game highlights, maybe Burton tried to make a game of it but they showed us for the most part. Team seemed workmanlike and eager, even organized and went about business with clear intent. You can't dispute it were an encouraging score and performance, more like today and we'll have a real chance to make it.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:22 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:32 pm
To be honest, I didn't think we were that good for a lot of the game. Quite sloppy for periods of the game. Just much more ruthless and could go up a gear or two when needed. Maybe a good sign that we can win easily and not be totally at our best.

I thought Luongo looked really good. Like another Morsy. Luongo, Chaplin and Burgess the picks of the bunch for me.
4 nil again ffs! Christ, I’m glad I’m not your wife! :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:21 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:22 am
Tangfastic wrote:
To be honest, I didn't think we were that good for a lot of the game. Quite sloppy for periods of the game. Just much more ruthless and could go up a gear or two when needed. Maybe a good sign that we can win easily and not be totally at our best.

I thought Luongo looked really good. Like another Morsy. Luongo, Chaplin and Burgess the picks of the bunch for me.
Leave some out there for the really good performances/results. Give me a gutsy, edgy, hard-fought 1-0 against a decent team like Bolton next week. And Derby... and Barnsley.... Much prefer that. I know we can beat dross like Burton, FGR and Morecombe 4-0 at home .... and then fall short when we really need it. Beat Accrington hopefully mid-week and then we can really test ourselves at Bolton. Good result and thought we looked more efficient/ruthless yesterday... but ultimately it doesn't really mean that much. One game at a time..but really looking at Bolton next week to kick things off.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:28 am

Excellent result, ok performance after first 20 minutes. As has been said I thought Luongo was outstanding throughout and thoroughly deserved his MOTM, wasn't keen on his signing, shows what I know. Also agree with Chaplin, Burgess and Ladapo being singled out for praise while Burns and Clarke linked up very well, was also pleased to see Walton looking more like his old self with some very assured handling from crosses etc. Not a great day for Leif Davis who I thought was pretty poor today tbh. 35 goals combined between Chaplin and Ladapo is pretty impressive too.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:51 am

Did anybody notice how the players were on it to keep a clean sheet? Congratulating one another for tackles, blocks there seemed a real determination not to concede even at 3-0 when Burton had 3 or 4 corners on the bounce.Even Woolfenden put his head in when feet were flying. Long may it continue. 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:26 am

Yes we did put bodies on the line, Burgess in particular with a world class block to prevent an almost certain goal. Woolfy did indeed put his head in once among the boots which was good defending but I still feel he is a disaster waiting to happen every game, sloppy passes and limp headers often play others into trouble, our weakest link for me.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:31 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:21 am
number 9 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:22 am
Tangfastic wrote:

Leave some out there for the really good performances/results. Give me a gutsy, edgy, hard-fought 1-0 against a decent team like Bolton next week. And Derby... and Barnsley.... Much prefer that. I know we can beat dross like Burton, FGR and Morecombe 4-0 at home .... and then fall short when we really need it. Beat Accrington hopefully mid-week and then we can really test ourselves at Bolton. Good result and thought we looked more efficient/ruthless yesterday... but ultimately it doesn't really mean that much. One game at a time..but really looking at Bolton next week to kick things off.
Definitely agree it's one game at a time, but it wasn't too long ago we were drawing with Lincoln and Bristol. It's nice to see we're winning the games we should now, and we're scoring goals freely. Yep, it's really gonna be a test against the 2 Bs and DC. If there's ever a defining moment for the season, it's gotta be the outcome of those matches.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:32 pm

I agree with most of the comments here. A poor start, for 9 minutes I couldn’t see us scoring and feared we might concede.
The first goal helped, and although we weren’t great we were good enough. A little fortunate with deflections on Burns’ cross for the first goal and the shot for the last one, but the big plus was that we took those chances well. I think we deserved a bit of luck.
I personals think that Wolfy gets more stick than deserved on this forum, but yesterday there were a couple of occasions where his errors could have proved costly.
I thought the ref made life difficult for himself with the early booking and said so at the time. It forced him to make several others which could easily have led to ax sending off later if the second half hadn’t been a bit of a non event.
Very happy with the result, and a good enough performance. And a very nice (if noisy) drink and meal in the Greyhound afterwards.