Run in v Plymouth

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Run in v Plymouth

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:41 pm

I’m not sure which team has the toughest game on Saturday, us at Bolton or Plymouth at Barnsley ? If Town and Barnsley could both win I think we could all begin to get a little excited and maybe raise our hopes, anything less will be a bitter disappointment.

COYB’s

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:38 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:41 pm
I’m not sure which team has the toughest game on Saturday, us at Bolton or Plymouth at Barnsley ? If Town and Barnsley could both win I think we could all begin to get a little excited and maybe raise our hopes, anything less will be a bitter disappointment.

COYB’s
Yes they're both tough. Town's away record is better than Plymouth's and they will definitely give Bolton a game. Where the points go there will come down to fine margins. Personally. I think Plymouth are very likely to lose

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:27 am

Charnwood wrote:

COYB’s
Well Barnsley's results have been a little better than Bolton's of late, but often poor form has to change to good at some point and vice versa. Who knows, but I think with the way Town have been performing, they have been unlucky not to have made more ground on Plymouth. Ipswich have been convincing and Plymouth have got away with one or two, long may that continue.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:53 pm

Ricco wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:27 am
Charnwood wrote:

COYB’s
Well Barnsley's results have been a little better than Bolton's of late, but often poor form has to change to good at some point and vice versa. Who knows, but I think with the way Town have been performing, they have been unlucky not to have made more ground on Plymouth. Ipswich have been convincing and Plymouth have got away with one or two, long may that continue.
I agree, and while a draw was probably a fair result when we played Plymouth at PR, it was still a lucky deflection from a well struck shot which won them the point.
Sadly, while I hope there are twists and turns which favour us, I can't but help think that fortune is favouring Plymouth and that they will hold on to second place, albeit with a reduced margin. I truly hope I am wrong though.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:06 pm

Maybe it's Wednesday we catch ? Their fixtures are definitely tougher on paper than Plymouth's.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:06 pm
Maybe it's Wednesday we catch ? Their fixtures are definitely tougher on paper than Plymouth's.
Not lost in the league for more than 4 months, 5pts on Town and two games in hand, that's an optimistic thought Mike!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:07 pm

Seeing as you put it like that lol 😆

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:35 pm

I think Sheffield Wednesday are nailed on favourites. They’re also on a run of 21 League games undefeated with 15 wins and 6 draws.

In that run of 21 games they’ve kept 14 clean sheets and 7 of their wins have been by the narrowest margin of 1-0.

Their last defeat was 2-1 at Plymouth on 4th October 2022, that’s pretty impressive.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:05 pm

And that is why those stats prove its our defence that's been the issue.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:16 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:05 pm
Always room for improvement, though we are still 4th on a Goals Against table

Sheffield Weds P 33 GA 22
Bolton P 36 GA 28
Barnsley P 33 GA 29
Ipswich Town P 35 GA 31

Plymouth are 10th, GA 38

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:24 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:05 pm

I think stats can be misleading.

I wouldn't have been against an upgrade on a CB in January, but to blame our defence ((mostly the CB's) solely for leaking goals is wrong.
I think the whole team is largely to blame when we're defending a lead. Watched many games where we have control and possession for most of the game and then its like we instantaneously change to another team where we retreat 15-20 yards deeper and keep on giving the ball away. Then it's a relentless bombardment of our box where we admittedly aren't very good at defending (apart from Burgess). It's up to our attacking players also to hold onto the ball better up the pitch and to avoid our defence coming under too much pressue. Generally, we're not that great at defending as a team and that's something that McKenna has to sort out. It feels like our players get sucked back into our own penalty area and just invite the opposition to pump balls in there.

If we want to win most of our games 1-0 - then we need a different manager and different set of players. It's McKenna's instructions to play out from the back and stretch play. I applaud this brave risk v reward approach and maybe we need to give a bit of slack to some defenders and Walton when it looks a bit too sketchy. We moan when teams park tbe bus, but this approach is adopted to create more space - so can we have it all? Must say - I didn't see the need to be so risky against Accrington when 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go. They were sh*t and the only way back for them was an defensive blunder. I think we have to mostly accept this is McKenna's way to play.
And I do think the Goals For stat can be misleading as there has been a lot of occasions when we needed a goal, yet didn't look we get one even though we had 30 odd chances. When things are going well for us - we look great and score plenty, but when things go a bit off-plan we have struggled to break down teams. Even though we're top scorers - it felt many times that we couldn't buy a goal when we needed it. That's why I think it was necessary to bring in Broadhead and Hirst. Broadhead is an obvious upgrade on Harness and Aluko and even though Hirst gets knocked - I'd much prefer him as a 9 than Jackson, Ahadme or TJJ. Clarke looks also a far more attacking threat than JD. With Luongo - I'd say January business has been good and necessary- but, who knows, maybe a little late.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:35 am

Excellent post, Tangfastic…… and certainly agree with outfield players creating the issues that the defence have to deal with unnecessarily on many many occasions.

I certainly do read some forums , other soccer forums and AFL forums, (Richmond Tigers in particular, and their coach, Damien Hardwick) ….. and i think re some fans; “What is it you are actually looking for? What is it that Hardwick is doing that you wouldn’t do and what would you do?”
I just do not get it sometimes.

In ipswich case, there were literally YEARS of hoofball whinging with McCarthy. Its clearly (by highlights!) a “creative era” @ Ipswich at this moment in time,——>> yet its still getting pelters from some of the fanbase.
Again, 🤷‍♂️, i just dont get it.

For me, the whinging should 100% be directed at some of the half-arsed players out there on the day.

Today will be a big test as to how the 5 clean sheet deee-fence fair. Looking fwd to it immensely.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:57 am

Tang, cant argue with most of what you say, to clarify, I have no issue at all with the way we play it out from the back, it is great to watch and is by and large proving successful, my only gripe with it is that it does not have to be exclusive, by that I mean you don't need to do it 100% of the time, common sense tells you, or should I say Walton or Woolfenden, that there are times a bloody good hoof up the pitch is what is needed, I just think we do it on the odd occasion when it is bordering on suicide and we will get caught sooner or later. As Marko rightly says for years we have witnessed absolute garbage in terms of quality of Football and should be greatful, we just need a little bit of common sense and flexibility when required.

The One thing I don't agree with on your post is the George Hirst bit, I am not sold on him at all to be honest, it's a player who turned us down, came here when there was nothing else on the table and will gone as quick as a rat up a drainpipe in the Summer, there are no goals to his game and little threat to be honest, he had a decent half at MK Dons and that is about it for me, no way would I be playing him over Broadhead, Ladapo or indeed Jackson at this moment in time.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:27 am

I believe we do need to mix it up at times when playing the ball out from the back. I have to admit I don’t have great confidence in Walton when he has the ball at his feet and feel this is the one area where Hladky is better than him. As Mike has said somewhere down the line we are going to get caught out, just hope it’s not in a key match like a playoff final.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:53 am

Nice post, Tang! I've been saying similar things about our defense all season, but I guess I haven't been as clear as you. I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, mate! It will be interesting to see to see if our attack can break down Bolton's formidable defense today. COYB!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:57 am
Tang, cant argue with most of what you say, to clarify, I have no issue at all with the way we play it out from the back, it is great to watch and is by and large proving successful, my only gripe with it is that it does not have to be exclusive, by that I mean you don't need to do it 100% of the time, common sense tells you, or should I say Walton or Woolfenden, that there are times a bloody good hoof up the pitch is what is needed, I just think we do it on the odd occasion when it is bordering on suicide and we will get caught sooner or later. As Marko rightly says for years we have witnessed absolute garbage in terms of quality of Football and should be greatful, we just need a little bit of common sense and flexibility when required.

The One thing I don't agree with on your post is the George Hirst bit, I am not sold on him at all to be honest, it's a player who turned us down, came here when there was nothing else on the table and will gone as quick as a rat up a drainpipe in the Summer, there are no goals to his game and little threat to be honest, he had a decent half at MK Dons and that is about it for me, no way would I be playing him over Broadhead, Ladapo or indeed Jackson at this moment in time.
I'm not completely sold on Hirst, too.... but I'd prefer him playing as a 9 than the ones I've listed.... Ahadme, Jackson and TJJ. I think TJJ and Jackson are either 10's or wide players... and not a 9. Hence, i think hes an upgrade to the squad. For me, it's between only Freddie and Hirst as the striker ...and Hirst does work hard and occupy the CBs. Just doesn't score. I'd prefer starting Freddie, but I'm OK with Hirst leading the line.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:27 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:43 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:33 am
I've said from day one almost that we will catch Plymouth and we will. I still totally believe that will happen. Reading some of their fans comments, they do too.
Didn't you say at one time or another you were adamant we'd go up as League Champions. Not only that you offered a wager of sorts, not sure if anyone took up that particular offer but any initial prophecy, not looking too promising right now.

Regards the actual topic itself the fact of the matter being PAFC are catchable but it's kind of tough to envisage we can take their second place by end of season. Who's to say also Bolton or Barnsley could feasibly occupy the position by finish of final game. Just seems something of a tall order, you got to hope we win or take three points from near every game remainder of this season we're involved in and that PAFC - or SWFC - drop regular points with it.

Big game of notice this week with Plymouth taking on Derby. Rams seem nervous or not playing as they should, if they can win that game and we beat Accrington is it on the same night it'll make things real interesting.
Not looking so daft now AP.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:29 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:06 pm
This ain't looking so daft now either.

If only we hadn't pissed away all those points with crap defending and rotation issues we'd be up already.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:37 pm

Damn bizarre isn't it. Took a series of freak scores and results to turn it around.

At time of writing it seemed inconceivable we'd win the League, I were just viewing second place at best. The play-off finish was a given, we were also going to finish in the top six. That was realized well before the end of year.

I took a moment to look back at missed opportunities this season, the tie game at Bristol Rovers, fog debacle at Oxford, that kind of thing. Hell knows there's other instances along the way. One last time, no f*ck that, it will be mentioned again, if Town don't see a promotion back to Championship level in time for August there's something fundamentally wrong with the game.

We're the most in-form of all others, score the most goals, defense actually seems more robust than once before, and the momentum is right now like no other in the division. I mean, what else do you need.