Have Bolton done us a favour?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Have Bolton done us a favour?

Post by trimleyblue » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:03 pm

Bolton hold Wednesday to a draw, significant or not?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Have Bolton done us a favour?

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:11 pm

Every little helps, seeing as we tonked Bolton it's a good sign

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:45 pm

I think probably the best result we could've hoped for. Certainly further damages Boltons faint hopes at the autos even more.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:09 am

Just a blip, SW won’t capitulate. Plymouth on the other hand may crack

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:48 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:45 pm
I think probably the best result we could've hoped for. Certainly further damages Boltons faint hopes at the autos even more.
I concur. A point from the fixture suited us best. ALL immediate teams behind us ARE a promotion threat, therefore any that drop points or fail to win is a bonus. SWFC are catchable and haven't got no promotion or league title just yet. I'm sure Plymouth are thinking the same thing.

Viewing tomorrows round of games it's imperative we win as can't see Derby or PAFC failing to not beat home contests with respective opposition Fleetwood and Forest Green. Believe if we win by a big score tomorrow and Plymouth get a draw or lose then we go above them into the automatic promotion places, only by goal difference if it's a tie however.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:55 am

I think it could prove to be a huge favour both in terms of / points dropped and a dent to their confidence which has been brimming.

As I said on the April fixtures discussion thread, Wednesday have to travel away to 7 of their remaining 11 fixtures including their next three the first of which is away to Barnsley on Tuesday night where they could easily drop 3 more points.

If that were the case and Plymouth and Town can win this afternoon the Top 3 would look like;

Sheffield Wednesday P36 Pts 78
Plymouth Argyle. P37. Pts 77
Ipswich Town. P37. Pts 75

Plymouth also play at Accrington on Tuesday night which is no guarantee of 3 points especially with Stanley now being dragged into a relegation battle. Parked bus and a point comes to mind.

A somewhat different situation to what we were staring at a few weeks ago, and after Tuesday it will leave Wednesday and Town with a game in hand over Plymouth and a much better view of exactly where we all stand.

Just highlights from a different angle how important this afternoon’s game is and how big a part Shrewsbury have in who gets promoted given in their remaining fixtures they still have to play Sheffield Wednesday, Plymouth Argyle, Barnsley and even Bolton Wanderers after playing us this afternoon.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:19 am

For me it was never over, I think it is fair to say many people had Plymouth "already up" a few weeks ago and us having no chance of closing the gap, well while we may still fall short I think it is a vastly different scenario now, I have always felt Plymouth will crack and while I admit they have lasted longer than I expected them too they are deffo not as cocky now for sure.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:34 am

It’s bloody hard but I’m trying my best to ignore what other teams are doing. At this moment in time all I want is for us to get 3 points this afternoon and keep the winning run going. Today is the type of game where we have messed up in the past and so it is another test for us. Have a feeling it will be a case of after every game now we will be thinking “it’s on”, or “no it’s not”. Mind you it makes a change from those days when we were out of the picture long before the season was completed.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:45 am

Every little helps for sure, but in grand scheme of things I can’t see SW capitulating now.

Plymouths games look so much easier than ours . And Whilst Neither of us can afford even one slip up, I feel The next slip from us will probably hand it to Plymouth in my view. I hope n pray it’s us sneaking 2nd but deep down I think it’ll be the PO’s for us, and the lottery that we all know that is( especially for Ipswich)!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:29 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:34 am
It’s bloody hard but I’m trying my best to ignore what other teams are doing. At this moment in time all I want is for us to get 3 points this afternoon and keep the winning run going. Today is the type of game where we have messed up in the past and so it is another test for us. Have a feeling it will be a case of after every game now we will be thinking “it’s on”, or “no it’s not”. Mind you it makes a change from those days when we were out of the picture long before the season was completed.

You’re not wrong there Shed, this is by far the most interesting and enjoyable season for a very long time, and as I’ve been saying all season, sit back and enjoy the experience and see where it takes us. I don’t remember looking forward to watching every game as much as I do now and it really feels more like our football club of old just in the wrong division.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:37 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:45 am
Every little helps for sure, but in grand scheme of things I can’t see SW capitulating now.

Plymouths games look so much easier than ours . And Whilst Neither of us can afford even one slip up, I feel The next slip from us will probably hand it to Plymouth in my view. I hope n pray it’s us sneaking 2nd but deep down I think it’ll be the PO’s for us, and the lottery that we all know that is( especially for Ipswich)!
They don’t need to capitulate Liz, all they need to do is lose at Barnsley on Tuesday night which would then pretty much put the leading three clubs on a level playing field with Wednesday then facing 6 of their 10 remaking games away from home with by far the toughest fixture on the final day of the season. You need to stop taking those negative pills and start looking at the positive possibilities, I’m sure you’d feel better.